Demon's Souls - Atlus & From Software's Action RPG - October 6

[quote name='Backlash']3-1 and 4-1 have decent shortcuts as welll. At least, 4-1 has a shortcut (if you find it) and 3-1 you can get to the boss by only fighting I think 1 or 2 enemies once you have all the keys.

I always went down the twisty tunnels when fighting Flamelurker because I could never get down the pit correctly without dying, except maybe once. :whistle2:([/QUOTE]
Ya, that's where the messages left by players are really helpful in knowing where to jump to next. When I went into offline mode to do the black world tendency and white world tendency events I had a horrible time finding the way down without the messages to guide me. Cranking up the brightness would likely be quite helpful (something I only ended up doing in that HORRIBLE 5-2 level)

Eventually you can make it into whatever you want by raising your stats in different ways, so the only thing that matters is your starting equipment and spells for the first few levels (and especially the first level, since you can't level up until you beat it). The general consensus is that the royal class is by far the easiest, since you start with a good spell and a ring that regenerates magic.

[quote name='depascal22']What class would you guys suggest? I picked wanderer but I'm not sure if I should change to Sage or something else.[/QUOTE]

I suggest either Royalty or Hunter as a beginner class. Both comes with decent range attacks which are really useful throughout the entire game, although Royalty is a tad bit better with the Magic Arrow and Mana regeneration wand.

Ha, finally killed my first invader (had been playing in Soul Form but started playing in body to kill a BP invader to finish getting the friend ring). His shield and sphere vs. my Moonsword and shield. With the rolling around we dropped down into a long narrow corridor (near the gate the Fat Minister closes) in 1-3 so I had to rely on R2 overhead smash.

There was a moment he was waiting on the ledge below me for me to drop down so he could go for a back stab. I so wished I had God's Wrath equipped then. he would have gotten punted back to his death over the edge.

Also if you have a bow/magic attack, Tower Knight can be done pretty easy. As soon as the fight starts rush past him up the stairs and kill all the archers. Up on the wall peak over the edge wait for him to drop his guard to charge up the Lance attack. Plunk him with your ranged attack then duck back so the Lance strikes the ledge.

[quote name='depascal22']Thanks, guys. I'll try out Royalty.[/QUOTE]

Royalty is a great choice for beginners. You have a decent magic attack - starting level is 4 (i believe) & the magic regen ring is the icing on the cake!

[quote name='guynextshore']Royalty is a great choice for beginners. You have a decent magic attack - starting level is 4 (i believe) & the magic regen ring is the icing on the cake![/QUOTE]

I agree, I started as a royal and used the soul arrow (your starting spell) throughout quite a bit of the game, as it's decently powerful and uses very little MP.

Royal starts at soul level 1 though.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/royal

[quote name='mang9432']I agree, I started as a royal and used the soul arrow (your starting spell) throughout quite a bit of the game, as it's decently powerful and uses very little MP.

Royal starts at soul level 1 though.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/royal[/QUOTE]

Oh that's correct, I mixed royalty with temple knight (what I'm currently using).

I started as temple knight and eventually made a royal because I found way too many people play melee classes and not enough archers and mages. Magic users seem easier for new players to play. Melee seems very dependent on understanding the weapons, upgrades, geckos, and world tendency. Many of the bosses are also weak to magic.

I just have the 1-4 boss left who is resistant to magic, but I'm sure I'll kill him after a few tries.

If you like helping people, running through 1-3 and 4-2 are a great way to earn souls. 4-1 is ok too, but I had a lot of people get one shotted by the boss. If you don't want to effect world tendency kill yourself in the nexus to become a blue phantom.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='wakawakawa']I started as temple knight and eventually made a royal because I found way too many people play melee classes and not enough archers and mages. Magic users seem more easier for new players to play. Melee seems very dependent on understanding the weapons, upgrades, geckos, and world tendency. Many of the bosses are also weak to magic.

I just have the 1-4 boss left who is resistant to magic, but I'm sure I'll kill him after a few tries.

If you like helping people, running through 1-3 and 4-2 are a great way to earn souls. 4-1 is ok too, but I had a lot of people get one shotted by the boss. If you don't want to effect world tendency kill yourself in the nexus to become a blue phantom.[/QUOTE]

I was at the same stand as you are, however magic built also depends on the type of weapon upgrades and character development you use (faith, magic, etc). I suppose you find less of them considering I know a lot of people like carrying those giant swords and shields.
I personally prefer using bow & arrows than spam magic (gives a much better range to snip monsters). But, I see a lot of AoE spells being used in PvP battles.

1-3, 1-4 & world 4 seems to be the best place I like to help people - considering it seems (to me) that's where most people try to invade as well.

[quote name='wakawakawa']
[/QUOTE]

I used a mage-type character and found that fighting the 1-4 boss with a spear was fairly easy (I was using a +5 moonlight spear, actually, but it seemed to do pretty good damage).

One thing I couldn't find the answer to...

How does newgame+ work with summoning and invading? Are original game and new game+ players separated or does summoning and invading only look at soul level?? I've been summoned to a few players game where the enemies seemed much harder (I'm around soul lvl 100), so I was wondering if they had pure black WT or if I was summoned into a newgame+ game.

[quote name='wakawakawa']One thing I couldn't find the answer to...

How does newgame+ work with summoning and invading? Are original game and new game+ players separated or does summoning and invading only look at soul level?? I've been summoned to a few players game where the enemies seemed much harder (I'm around soul lvl 100), so I was wondering if they had pure black WT or if I was summoned into a newgame+ game.[/QUOTE]

Nope, they just have to be within your soul level range (regardless if they beat the game or what their world tendency is). Being that you are 100, you'll be invaded a lot & unexpectedly, when I ran NG+ world 1-1 had plenty of invaders.

Well, I picked up the game new on sale at Amazon for $30 today. Used my $20 game credit and got the game for $10 with free shipping. Hope it's good as everyone says.

[quote name='jh6269']Well, I picked up the game new on sale at Amazon for $30 today. Used my $20 game credit and got the game for $10 with free shipping. Hope it's good as everyone says.[/QUOTE]

That's like 10 cents an hour if you end up beating it.

[quote name='horns456']That's like 10 cents an hour if you end up beating it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's a good deal--even if I don't end up beating it. I won't be able to play it for a while b/c I have too many games to get through right now, but I can't wait.

[quote name='jh6269']Yeah, that's a good deal--even if I don't end up beating it. I won't be able to play it for a while b/c I have too many games to get through right now, but I can't wait.[/QUOTE]

$10 for this game is a GREAT deal. Hope you have fun when (once your backlog is gone) you play it!

[quote name='guynextshore']$10 for this game is a GREAT deal. Hope you have fun when (once your backlog is gone) you play it![/QUOTE]

Yeah, especially for a new game... It was a hard choice between Wolfenstein and this one, but I figured that I'd rather give my money to From Software than to Activision. Also, I've been wanting this game but I know it's going to be too hard for me, so I didn't want to pay the $60 to end up giving up on it... I can pay $10 though and take my chances :D

I'm tempted to play it but there are just so many damned good games out right now and I've bought too many. I have to force myself to stay focused and finish each one, otherwise I'll end up not finishing any of them.

Just picked up my game today as well(used, $24(saved $3 with Edge card). I was going to order it online with a bunch of other games and use the 15OFF75 but I wanted this game BADLY. Can't wait.

Just miffed at how many PRE-OWNED stickers they through on this puppy. I took off 2 of them, but the 3rd is so messed up. I'll swap the case with the Rockband Case I have(bought it for $3 bucks with drums and guitar off a friend) ;)

Haven't played it yet!

Finished the game last night it was certainly an interesting and enjoyable experience. I appreciated that much like games such as "Shadow of the Colossus" there are moments where you question the action you are taking particularly at the end of the Defiled World. It isn't a matter of making a "good" or "bad" choice, much of the time the only way to proceed is to make the inhuman choice.

I also dug the game's storytelling style, there is sparse use of cutscenes (in contrast to something like FF or Metal Gear Solid) so the majority of the world's story and lore comes from having conversations with every NPC you meet, reading descriptions of the archstones/weapons you find or craft, and the placement of corpse with loot (as it relates to bosses and black phantoms). In a vast land where barely a couple dozen humans remain this would be expected as there would be few people with a clear idea of what is going on. I've never played a game which felt this desolate / hopeless (though Shadow of the Colossus comes a close second).

If you can just get through that first hour or two of agony until after you beat the first boss a very rewarding experience lies ahead. The starting difficulty can be lessened a GREAT DEAL by picking the royal class as beginning the game with the spell Soul Arrow makes the first level SO much easier.

If you didn't pick up the version with the guide in the UK it basically goes "Pick Royal, Shoot Soul Arrows, use glitch to kill second boss" and so on. It seems an OK game (just killed the Fire Lurker) but nothing special, I'm enjoying it but I think it's been waaaaay over-hyped.

Oh and rolling off staircases in order to get rings and dropping down from platform to platform (which is apparently what your meant to to) seems a bit glitchy, as if your not meant to do it.

It just feels like it needs a bit more polished. And and the lack of tutorial in the game is really ass, still don't know what all the symbols mean with my weapons etc.

[quote name='Goemar']If you didn't pick up the version with the guide in the UK it basically goes "Pick Royal, Shoot Soul Arrows, use glitch to kill second boss" and so on. It seems an OK game (just killed the Fire Lurker) but nothing special, I'm enjoying it but I think it's been waaaaay over-hyped.

Oh and rolling off staircases in order to get rings and dropping down from platform to platform (which is apparently what your meant to to) seems a bit glitchy, as if your not meant to do it.

It just feels like it needs a bit more polished. And and the lack of tutorial in the game is really ass, still don't know what all the symbols mean with my weapons etc.[/QUOTE]

WTF?! A guide that comes with the game tells you how to exploit the game's glitches?! That can't be true, just can't.

I personally don't think it's overhyped. I think you'd enjoy it more if you understood all the rules (world/character tendencies, attribute bonuses) and intricacies and nuances of combat, which I think is extremely well done. If you get killed, it's because you got sloppy.

Have you invaded another player or had your own game invaded? It's quite exhilarating.

You can figure out all the symbols yourself, it just takes a bit of thinking. It wasn't a big deal to me. I don't get what you're trying to say about dropping from one platform to another. Are you saying we're supposed to do it or not? If not, why? What's wrong with getting lower this way?

I don't know what ring you're talking about that you need to roll off a staircase to get, and I already got all the rings.

IMO, there are only two faults with the game. The rarity of an item called Pure Bladestone, which you need to craft some of the best weapons (and get platinum) and the fact that there is a way to defeat some bosses with no risk.

The thief ring is the one I'm on about. And on the mine level the guide tells you to go right after the spider and carefully drop down onto platforms below 'till you to get to the end. It's very dodgy.

And yes the guide tells you to stand in a groove on the left, where you can't get hit, and shoot Soul Arrows at the Spider until it dies. In the guide that comes with the game. Also tells you to abuse other things (such as how to farm the Red Eye Knight in 1-1). This is the problem when you let fans of the game write a guide, they abuse the game - not playing it as it's meant to be played. I mean it tells you to kill yourself in the Nexus at the end of every level so you won't be invaded - madness (I didn't do this mind).

Wish I had the American guide which wasn't written by fans. I'm a huge Monster Hunter fan so I understand that sometimes games fuck up and don't give enough guidance and you need a bit of help getting started but I feel the guide with the UK game pretty much rapes it.

[quote name='Goemar']The thief ring is the one I'm on about. And on the mine level the guide tells you to go right after the spider and carefully drop down onto platforms below 'till you to get to the end. It's very dodgy.

And yes the guide tells you to stand in a groove on the left, where you can't get hit, and shoot Soul Arrows at the Spider until it dies. In the guide that comes with the game. Also tells you to abuse other things (such as how to farm the Red Eye Knight in 1-1). This is the problem when you let fans of the game write a guide, they abuse the game - not playing it as it's meant to be played. I mean it tells you to kill yourself in the Nexus at the end of every level so you won't be invaded - madness (I didn't do this mind).

Wish I had the American guide which wasn't written by fans. I'm a huge Monster Hunter fan so I understand that sometimes games fuck up and don't give enough guidance and you need a bit of help getting started but I feel the guide with the UK game pretty much rapes it.[/QUOTE]

That guide's fucked up. Glad I didn't get the black phantom edition from UK.

Just few comments on what you mentioned.

Yes, the way to get the Thief's Ring in level 1-1 is to roll off the stairs. I realized that after I posted. But, this ring also can be found in 5-2, on an island near an NPC Salen Vinland. Still, this ring is by far the best in the game, so everyone would want to get it in 1-1.

About the mine level 2-2. There is another way to get down to the boss. This is just a shortcut. Considering how tough the Flamelurker is I'm glad they put that in there. You could finish the game and get platinum and never go that way though. But if you do, you get to find treasure, meet an NPC and find some crystal lizards.

The shortcut still feels like your not meant to do it though, with your character's feet on air a lot of the time as you edge your way off the platform to the next.

And yes the guide is awful, think I'll just wonder around the worlds as I see fit from now on or just use it too know the best order to the stages in. Demon's Souls wiki people - you let us UK chaps down.

[quote name='Goemar']The shortcut still feels like your not meant to do it though, with your character's feet on air a lot of the time as you edge your way off the platform to the next.

And yes the guide is awful, think I'll just wonder around the worlds as I see fit from now on or just use it too know the best order to the stages in. Demon's Souls wiki people - you let us UK chaps down.[/QUOTE]
That is a way you are meant to proceed, halfway down are crystal gecko's and depending on the world tendency an NPC that will be either friend or foe. It is impossible to climb up to that level from the bottom so the makers of the game intended that as a viable option to get down. There are also a set of platforms you can drop down at the end of the opposite tunnel at the start of 2-2, or you can take the elevator down into the slow, narrow tunnels where a lot of treasure is hidden.

As far as the "rolling off a staircase" to get down to Ostrava and the Thief's Ring I don't know why they had you do that as you don't have to roll. I assume the technique you are referring to is this video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqwiqtmh558
All you have to do walk up to the short railing overlooking that platform (stand just to the right of the red MSG sign on the floor in the video), push forward on the stick, and your character will automatically leap up and over the railing landing safely next to Ostrava. Again, you cannot get to Ostrava from below so the creators meant for you to get over that wall.

edit:
What you are supposed to do is just push forward next to the wall as seen at the 5:00 minute mark in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9fEv8eb3zQ

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't blame me, blame the guide - stupid staircase.

Been wondering through the narrow tunnels earlier today, but apart from the loot and dead ends with pits of lava I can't seem to get to Flame Lurker's room without using the short cut... Guess I don't really need to now but would still be nice in case there's any good stuff on the way.

I'm warming up to the game but I still think it was over hyped. And the fact that they made every symbol in the game some kind of pointless swirl is really dumb. I mean couldn't they have a better slash or pierce attack type symbol for example?

Ya, the symbol stuff is a little annoying. When wandering through the tunnels after the large open cavern look for a tunnel which is stuffed with bone debris. Hack through it and on the other side is the area you drop down into when you take the shortcut mentioned in the guide.

Also if you get stuck, feel free to tackle any of the other worlds. The way it is designed all the first levels of each world are of somewhat similar difficulty. So rather than say fully clearing one world and then moving onto the next one you will collect a lot of good loot / demon souls for spells/miracles/weapons if you clear the first level of each world before moving onto the second level of each world.

Didn't mean to try and blame you, was just trying to articulate why the areas you are reaching is not due to glitches. There are a few glitches / grey areas I imagine the guide will mention if it follows the wiki, Such as a shortcut you can use to roll over a wall in 4-1 which may not be intended but is a godsend when trying to beat that boss or a definite full on glitch which is the pansy way to defeat the boss in 3-2 (shooting arrows through a fog gate).

I was never able to get to the bottom of that shortcut pit in 2-2 without falling, I don't think. I was able to get down far enough to get to the NPC at both pure white and pure black without too much trouble, at least. I always went down to Flamelurker the other two ways.

Also, yes, the symbol usability is AWFUL. That one page on wikidot that explains the inventory/equip screen is excellent, even if you don't want to ruin the experience of the game by reading the rest of the site/guide.

Just killed the big leech thingy in the cesspool. Having a lot more fun now I'm wandering around aimlessly.
Whats with the giant blood bugs though? Seem pretty damn easy...

What they should have done with this guide is basically have a walkthrough of the first level for every different class and then some brief pointers of where to go next. Also a smegging index would help.

The giant blood bugs are easy. They're just there to piss you off for that one time you accidentally directly stab them and get sprayed with poisoning blood. Kinda like the rats in 5-1. Easy as hell, but approach them the wrong way and you'll get hit with the plague.

The symbols are my only actual complaint about the game. Otherwise, I have a million crybaby complaints about how unforgiving the game is...which are not really complaints, but praise for something like this coming out these days.

Oh and the lack of pause, hell I don't care if people can invade my game, if I want to pause I should be able to.

[quote name='Goemar']Oh and the lack of pause, hell I don't care if people can invade my game, if I want to pause I should be able to.[/QUOTE]
Yep, I imagine the the lack of ability to pause is
1.)Due to the invasion mechanic
2.)Just another way to make it tougher / realistic
3.)There is the ability to quit from the in-game menu at any time and load your profile to begin again at the exact same spot.

Since most enemies don't respawn generally it's safe to just back away into an area you've cleared already and let your character sit (unless you are in body and online).

Protip: If you ever have to stop what your doing in the middle of a boss fight but don't want to evacuate or use a shard of archstone and return to the Nexus, if you quit from the in-game menu in the middle of a boss fight when you load your profile again you'll be back outside the boss fog gate ready to start the fight again.

One thing I like a lot-- yesterday I was having internet issues and kept getting booted offline, which sends you back to the menu (they thought of everything!) But when you load your game, you are literally in the exact same spot, which was nice.

Wow it kicks you out when you have connection problems? Probably to stop people from disconnecting as soon as a phantom appears but still, very lame.

So yeah so far pausing and poor symbols are my main complaint. I mean if someone phones you and your in a boss battle, would be nice to pause. Oh and some of the enemy movement, I mean seeing an enemy just walk into a wall for ages is just sad really, shouldn't be happening this generation. And the fact that magic can't shoot through the gap in railings or the rope on rope bridges, that's quite annoying.

A not so serious complaint is that of the rag-doll physics, the corpses are just too light - it looks silly. I'd rather you just walk through them. And jiggling corpses kinda ruin the atmosphere when they get caught in something etc.

Still enjoying it even if some red dude came out of now where and killed me in the poison swamp in the cesspool level, bah...

[quote name='Goemar']Wow it kicks you out when you have connection problems? Probably to stop people from disconnecting as soon as a phantom appears but still, very lame.

So yeah so far pausing and poor symbols are my main complaint. I mean if someone phones you and your in a boss battle, would be nice to pause. Oh and some of the enemy movement, I mean seeing an enemy just walk into a wall for ages is just sad really, shouldn't be happening this generation. And the fact that magic can't shoot through the gap in railings or the rope on rope bridges, that's quite annoying.

A not so serious complaint is that of the rag-doll physics, the corpses are just too light - it looks silly. I'd rather you just walk through them. And jiggling corpses kinda ruin the atmosphere when they get caught in something etc.

Still enjoying it even if some red dude came out of now where and killed me in the poison swamp in the cesspool level, bah...[/QUOTE]

I agree about the rag-doll physics. I think it's silly and distracting from the overall atmosphere. I also don't like how you can't shoot through the smaller gaps in walls and such, but to me it's forgivable, especially since the camera is from the character's eyes while the magic/arrows comes from the hands.

I've heard you can pause by just hitting the PS button. I've played over 60 hours and still didn't try that.

Be aware that in 5-2 you are slowed while in the muck and can't dodge. The giant ogres must be fought either by sniping from afar or while on the small patches of land. They are the most dangerous enemies in the game by far (IMO).

i tried pausing with the PS button and all the animation was still going, so I assumed it didn't pause...haven't tried it around enemies or NPCs.

PS button doesn't seem to pause from what I've tried.

That swamp is pretty hard, might go back to 1-2 and attempt to keep the dragon's flame behind my heels instead of crisping up my corpse, damn blue knight knocked me back into it last time...

And what the hell does that guiding light thing do except make sparkly bits?

[quote name='Goemar']PS button doesn't seem to pause from what I've tried.

That swamp is pretty hard, might go back to 1-2 and attempt to keep the dragon's flame behind my heels instead of crisping up my corpse, damn blue knight knocked me back into it last time...

And what the hell does that guiding light thing do except make sparkly bits?[/QUOTE]
The Augite of guidance? Ya, think it's basically like bread crumbs for areas of the game (like the twisty tunnels in the mines) to know where you've already been or where you want to go next after trying a tunnel.

I didn't try using it until New Game+ and then I was like "Oh! That's what those sparkly lights are in 3-2 (Latria) and 4-2 (Shrine of Storms)" :lol:

Tried using it thinking it would point to where to go or something in the swamp - can't say I wasn't let down... stupid stones!

Question about the EU version that just came out ... so I imported it and I know it's running on the EU servers, but I had read that you also needed an EU PSN account to play online. However, just for the hell of it, I used my US account and seem to be playing just fine and connected.

Was this just bad information, am I missing anything if I don't sign in with my other EU account?

Atlus is extending their support for the servers to March 2011:
Atlus U.S.A., Inc. today announced it would continue supporting servers for online play in Demon's Souls™, 2009's Game of the Year* for PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, through at least March 2011.

"We are proud to maintain our commitment to the Demon's Souls online community by extending our support for the game's servers, allowing current and new players to continue to enjoy the game's vast online feature set," stated Aram Jabbari, Manager of PR and Sales for Atlus. "One of the highest-rated, most talked about games of all time, Demon's Souls is defined by its groundbreaking online functionality. No other game better marries suspenseful, claustrophobic solitude with unprecedented cooperative and competitive multiplayer connectivity. Each game world, each individual's adventure, can be bridged with those of others', making for one of the most startlingly grand yet deeply intimate RPG experiences ever created."

To celebrate the announcement, the game server's World Tendency, a variable that can make the game more or less difficult and unlock secrets depending on its setting, will be shifted to Pure White for a couple weeks, making the notoriously challenging game slightly easier for newcomers while also allowing long-time veterans to reach otherwise inaccessible areas and items.

bread's done
Back