Demon's Souls - Atlus & From Software's Action RPG - October 6

Ok, I finally got the pure bladestone after 104 times of killing the black phantom dual katana skeleton (probably killed him at least 20 or 30 times before I started keeping track).

Now, I'm stuck on the cloudstone trophy. I have 2 pure cloudstone, but I'm having trouble getting the chunks of cloudstone. I tried farming them in the storm ruler area, but only 2 or 3 of the manta rays actually drop anything, and even then, I only get shards. Looks like I'm going to need all 4-7 of the damned cloudstone chunks to get the trophy.

Back into this. A little frustrating as I think I hit a bug were someone died on same spot I did online and when I hit my bloodstain it didn't give me back the souls I had.

I do like how if your net dies while connected you can go back and pick right where you were.

I hate how certain attacks go through walls. Or how you take huge leaps when trying to take slight step off ledge. Little things like that add to aggravation.

[quote name='jh6269']Ok, I finally got the pure bladestone after 104 times of killing the black phantom dual katana skeleton (probably killed him at least 20 or 30 times before I started keeping track).

Now, I'm stuck on the cloudstone trophy. I have 2 pure cloudstone, but I'm having trouble getting the chunks of cloudstone. I tried farming them in the storm ruler area, but only 2 or 3 of the manta rays actually drop anything, and even then, I only get shards. Looks like I'm going to need all 4-7 of the damned cloudstone chunks to get the trophy.[/QUOTE]

Forget about farming Chunks of Cloudstone, it will drive you insane. You have to play into new game+++ for the platinum anyway, so just pick up the chunks off the body in 4-3.

[quote name='Ace_Defective']Forget about farming Chunks of Cloudstone, it will drive you insane. You have to play into new game+++ for the platinum anyway, so just pick up the chunks off the body in 4-3.[/QUOTE]
Yep that's what I did, after I got tired of farming the manta rays. Cloudstone was one of the last trophies I got.

Pure black world tendency + Storm King area + Stormruler + patience. I made the mistake of waiting till NG++ to try farming for Cloudstone so it look TWO swipes with the storm ruler to kill every storm beast. :wall:

Make sure you have the large sword of searching on your off-hand (even if it is on your hip because you are two-handing the storm ruler) as that will double the drop rate.

The most frustrating thing to me is not the low drop rate of the storm beasts, but that there are SO MANY locations where they can die and the drops occur in inaccessible places. Not only do you have to worry about not being skewered by marrow spears, but killing them when they are crossing over open areas.

Thanks guys, I was able to get the 5 cloudstones I needed (thx Guardian Owl).
I ended up just taking like 600 hard arrows and taking off the thieves ring, then I'd spawn at the Old Hero's warp point. I was able to walk out the door and just shoot the manta rays as they started to attack me. Took me about 4 hours or so to get 5 chunks of cloudstone (much easier than the 4 days it took me to get the pure bladestone).

Ya, I just gave up on the Pure Bladestone eventually and had one duped for me, if the developers want to pull stupid shit like that by making it super rare and extremely tedious to obtain, I've got no qualms getting it illegitimately. That's what I loved about Demon's Souls, with the exception of obtaining certain stones, there is little grinding needed to acquire most items.

Having the item be absurdly rare (something like 1 in 300 drops) seems to be the antithesis of the item distribution method of the rest of the game, few random drops.

I was pretty lucky with the Pure Bladestones(two dropped within 20 minutes, and a third dropped about two hours later), then I spent hours farming Chunks of Cloudstone with LSoS and got one drop. I did the math & felt like a chump for spending so much time farming those damn stones.

I was hoping to get lucky and get some Pure Bladestones right away, but no such luck. But one good thing about the whole ordeal is now my character is level 200. You get a buttload of souls from the black phantom dual katana skeleton--especially when you wear the Ring of Avarice (like 56K souls). Then if you continue on and kill both black phantom meat cleaver skeletons, you get 30K a piece for them.

I just got back to playing Demon's Soul, I was just wondering if it's recommended keeping the demon's soul after defeating a boss? Or can you get something in reward for not selling them?

[quote name='sasuke543']I just got back to playing Demon's Soul, I was just wondering if it's recommended keeping the demon's soul after defeating a boss? Or can you get something in reward for not selling them?[/QUOTE]
If by selling, you mean, trading them for spells then that's what you do with them. If you mean using them to add to your soul total then you're doing it wrong.

[quote name='sasuke543']I just got back to playing Demon's Soul, I was just wondering if it's recommended keeping the demon's soul after defeating a boss? Or can you get something in reward for not selling them?[/QUOTE]

Don't consume the demon's soul until you trade it or learn a spell w/it.
Check this table for details.

Finally started playing again, since about a month after release, and I was getting wrecked. I've got a 51 temple knight, and was having a hell of a time in 4-2. Every time I got to the cliff edge with the 3 skeletons, and the flying manta rays, I'd get shot by one of the skeletons, shot by a manta ray, then sliced by a skeleton that just rolled into me. What's the best strategy for that part?

[quote name='Brownjohn']Finally started playing again, since about a month after release, and I was getting wrecked. I've got a 51 temple knight, and was having a hell of a time in 4-2. Every time I got to the cliff edge with the 3 skeletons, and the flying manta rays, I'd get shot by one of the skeletons, shot by a manta ray, then sliced by a skeleton that just rolled into me. What's the best strategy for that part?[/QUOTE]

If you use the Thieves Ring, the manta's will leave you alone most of the time.
All you need is a good shield(blocks 100% of physical damage), and a blunt weapon or Crescent Falchion and a bow. The trick is to kill the bowman with your bow, then shoot the middle skelly and he will roll of the ledge. then all you have to do is raise your shield and run down the path, block his lite attack or roll back on his heavy overhead attack. Then wail on him with your waepon.

Soul form (make less noise which slightly reduces the radius which enemies can detect you and you do more damage) + Thief's Ring (drastically reduces the radius around you that enemies can detect you) + Warding (drastically reduces physical damage taken) if you have access to magic.

Another option is to hurl out soul remains (dropped by skeletons or purchased from Graverobber Bilge if you freed him in 4-1) which will draw the skeleton's aggro so that you can backstab them or run past.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Soul form (make less noise which slightly reduces the radius which enemies can detect you and you do more damage) + [/QUOTE]
You only do more damage in soul form if you have white world tendency. If it's in the black, you do less damage.

[quote name='Brownjohn']Finally started playing again, since about a month after release, and I was getting wrecked. I've got a 51 temple knight, and was having a hell of a time in 4-2. Every time I got to the cliff edge with the 3 skeletons, and the flying manta rays, I'd get shot by one of the skeletons, shot by a manta ray, then sliced by a skeleton that just rolled into me. What's the best strategy for that part?[/QUOTE]

Thieves Ring, spear, and a Bow. Don't go down the hill. Shoot the archer skeleton until dead (dodge the arrow, unless you have the dark silver shield that will block 100% of the damage). Next, shoot the skeleton next to him, he'll roll off the cliff. Next, shoot the last skeleton, he'll come up the hill, but you can stay on the ledge (he can't roll up there unless you stand to the extreme right). Stab him until dead.

Next, go down to the next level where the Gold skeletons are. Shoot them one at a time to lure them up the hill to attack you. When they do the massive attack, dodge, then strike. Take the next one out in the same way.

Just tried it...but its just like Diablo 2 (just keep reading). Not saying that the gameplay is entirely similar, but when I played Diablo 2 it was the first game of that type I played. So many games holds your hands through, first time in a long while I am overwhelmed.
I was planning on only playing for 15~20 mins...ended up being an hour and half. At first I thought the vast majority were being deceptive when saying this game was hard...its hard (not cheap hard, but frustration of catching your mistake just before you die). I still have no idea how to play this thing (how the h*ll do you level?).
Could anyone give me an idea what I am suppose to do? How do I level? Are soul points the cash, exp or both? How do I save (is it automatic)?
Gonna start a fresh new save this coming weekend ^^
This game was definitely worth 20 bones (I'm not sure if FF13 was worth 20 though).

[quote name='dejeckt']
Could anyone give me an idea what I am suppose to do? How do I level? Are soul points the cash, exp or both? How do I save (is it automatic)?[/QUOTE]

General idea of the game is to clear "worlds" by areas, including their respective Demons and Archdemons (the bosses of the game) as well as their minions that block your path. You will come across souls (explained below) and demon souls (used to craft special weapons and magic. Its more important to save demon souls if possible, but you can consume them once you believe you have no use for them.

Souls are both the experience and currency of the game. You use them to level yourself up by going to the Black Maiden, to purchase weapons, ammo, and magic, and repair or upgrade your current equipment. Upgrades only apply to weapons not armor.

Saving is automatic, you can tell by looking at the white dot in the upper right. It saves frequently like after entering a new area or picking up items. Due to this, I advise you to quit the game through the in-game menu or quit through XMB.

Beginning can be a bit overwhelming as the game leaves it you you to figure things out.

-In the Nexus, on the ground floor, near stockpile Thomas is an area full of many hints on the floor which will teach you many things about the gameplay.
-You must beat the first boss before you can level up, but if you keep dying and losing your souls you can exit the level and use the souls to purchase healing items from the blacksmith. Items and levels purchased with souls are permanently kept after death.
-Find and equip the cling ring (turn around once you dodge the flaming boulder, go to the base of the tower, and pull the lever to find the ring and unlock a permanent shortcut) which increases your max health from 50% to 75% in soul form.
-Once you beat the first level, take the spiral staircase in the Nexus up to the top of the main chamber. Walk up the stairs and make the first right and you will be staring at a massive statue. Turn left and look for the candle on the floor to talk to the Monumental, learn some of the backstory, and unlock the other 4 worlds.

Also, note that you can't level up or spend your souls until after you beat the first level (known as 1-1), at which point the game opens up for you.

Edit: beaten by guardian_owl, who also typed a lot more useful info. Also, I forgot you have to go up near the top of the nexus and talk to the monumental (looks like The Golden Child, if you've ever seen that movie) before the other worlds open up.

[quote name='guardian_owl']-Find and equip the cling ring (turn around once you dodge the flaming boulder, go to the base of the tower, and pull the lever to find the ring and unlock a permanent shortcut) which increases your max health from 50% to 75% in soul form.[/QUOTE]
Bah, don't need that if you don't die. So yeah...don't die. Ever. A much better plan :bouncy:

Thanks again for the helpful replies (thanks guardianowl, supplice, backlash,...I try not to die madcatz1999).
The level designs are awesome, not completely free roaming but slightly confined to focus on the mission at hand. I also like how in confined spaces you have to think about weapon choices (I think like the wall interferes with sword swings).
Again thanks for the helpful advice. Quick question: can I only access the nexus at the beginning of a level if wish to go back?

[quote name='dejeckt']Quick question: can I only access the nexus at the beginning of a level if wish to go back?[/QUOTE]
Very close to when you start out (maybe even in your starting inventory), you get an item that'll let you return to the nexus from any point, but you'll lose all of your souls. Later on, you might come across something that'll give you other options.

As soon as you spawn in the Nexus you get the Nexial Binding item. It's quite handy if you happen to get stuck somehow (IE can't move) as it will transport you back to the Nexus. The cost is you lose all your souls, so it is pretty similar to dying.

You will also come upon one-time use items called "shards of archstone" which will transport you back to the Nexus, but you keep any souls you have collected.

After the the first boss is dead a vendor who sells magic (if your magic stat is 10+) is available on the east side of the Nexus, and a vendor which sells miracles (if your faith is 10+) will appear in the western area of the Nexus. The miracle vendor sells a miracle called "evacuate" which when cast with a talisman in your hand performs the same function as the shard of archstone, except you can use it as many times as you want as long as the miracle is equipped and you have enough MP.

Whenever you slay a boss demon, an archtone post appears which performs the same function as the one at the beginning of the level. You can exit, or enter the level at that post.

If you exit a level via any method, all non-boss enemies respawn. Unlike Diablo 2, you cannot re-enter at the point you exited (IE scroll of town portal). The only way to enter a level is via the archstones.

Not sure it's been touched on yet:
If you quit from the ingame menu, it saves the game and the world condition (dead enemies, etc.) exactly how it was when you quit so that when you load it back up you are standing in the same spot, there is no manual saving, it auto-saves after pretty much every action you do. "Quit" is the closest thing Demon's Souls has to a pause button.

oh well i wont be playing this for a while. i returned my copy a while back to get a new copy and now it seems my save from the other disk wont load up.

Hey guys, anyone around level 208 willing to meet up with me and let me hold their friend's ring and 3 of the unique weapons to get the trophies? I am about 1/2 way through my 3rd playthrough, and am really needing to finish soon (Castlevania comes out next week, and I want to move on).

Also, can you communicate via headset at all? I take it that you cannot...

I think the only special weapons that I'm lacking are the blueblood sword, insanity catalyst, and the bramd.

If I could have or hold them, that would be wonderful. Let me know, just send me a PM, or add me to your PSN friend's list (jh6269) and we can set up a time to meet up.

[quote name='jh6269']
[/QUOTE]

No Voip options, the best you can do is go into PSN chat or add one another on an IM client for voice.

[quote name='jh6269']Hey guys, anyone around level 208 willing to meet up with me and let me hold their friend's ring and 3 of the unique weapons to get the trophies? I am about 1/2 way through my 3rd playthrough, and am really needing to finish soon (Castlevania comes out next week, and I want to move on).

I think the only special weapons that I'm lacking are the blueblood sword, insanity catalyst, and the bramd.

If I could have or hold them, that would be wonderful. Let me know, just send me a PM, or add me to your PSN friend's list (jh6269) and we can set up a time to meet up.[/QUOTE]
Per our earlier conversation, Soul Level Range Calc for online
At host SL of 209 it is 178 to 239 for blue phantoms, and 178 to 208 for red phantoms. I forgot to check last night what soul level my main is, if he's close enough that leveling wouldn't be a big grind I'll get him up there so that you can hold the weapons.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Per our earlier conversation, Soul Level Range Calc for online
At host SL of 209 it is 178 to 239 for blue phantoms, and 178 to 208 for red phantoms. I forgot to check last night what soul level my main is, if he's close enough that leveling wouldn't be a big grind I'll get him up there so that you can hold the weapons.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if it's too much time, don't spend all that time grinding. It was a byproduct of farming the pure bladestone. I got like almost 120,000 souls each trip to 4-3 from pure black world tendency + ring of avarice (killing the black phantom got me 13K, black phantom dual katana skeleton gave me 58K, and the 2 black phantom gold skeletons gave me 30K a piece).

Anyway, as I said, I need the friend's Ring, the blueblood sword, the bramd, and the insanity catalyst to get the 2 trophies. Then I just need to finish the current playthrough for the magic trophy.

[quote name='jh6269']Anybody else within soul level range 179 to 241?[/QUOTE]

I think my char is at that level and I have all the stuff. I've never entered anyone's game though, so I'll need you to give me specific instructions on how our chars would meet. I'm available today after 9:30 pm CST. PM me with details

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']I think my char is at that level and I have all the stuff. I've never entered anyone's game though, so I'll need you to give me specific instructions on how our chars would meet. I'm available today after 9:30 pm CST. PM me with details[/QUOTE]

Cool, will do.

hi guys,
I heard that Atlus extend the server until next year. Does it mean that after "next year", Demon's Souls is not playable and my $30 investment will go down the drain?!??

If not, what online component of the game will be removed if the server is not on?

Sorry if I sound noobish. I thought this is a single player game and not some MMO

[quote name='agentghost']hi guys,
I heard that Atlus extend the server until next year. Does it mean that after "next year", Demon's Souls is not playable and my $30 investment will go down the drain?!??

If not, what online component of the game will be removed if the server is not on?

Sorry if I sound noobish. I thought this is a single player game and not some MMO[/QUOTE]
Yep, you're screwed. Once the server goes down, you lose everything. They even come to your house to take your PS3 and your little dog too.

In case your sarcasm detector is broken, you'll be able to play the game just fine. Playing online, however, just makes the game more interesting/scary/harder because you can interact with real people in a unique way.

[quote name='lokizz']oh well i wont be playing this for a while. i returned my copy a while back to get a new copy and now it seems my save from the other disk wont load up.[/QUOTE]

wow, that sucks...how far along were you?

[quote name='agentghost']hi guys,

Sorry if I sound noobish. I thought this is a single player game and not some MMO[/QUOTE]

no worries...I just finished the game and for the most part played offline, b/c the black phantom buggers nailed be twice when I was far along in a couple levels.

You can play the whole game offline, which is what I basically did. What you lose by playing offline is a couple things...you won't see the glowing notes on the ground which are usually helpful or funny (one might warn you about an enemy or trap), you won't see the bloodstains which are also usually helpful or funny (they show you how someone in your spot died) and you won't have any interaction with other players. What happens with the other players is that they can either come to help you or come to kill you, and you can do the same. You can send out a beacon asking for help if you are having trouble with a boss or something. However, be wary because you can also have your world invaded which means that a black phantom is coming to kill you.

But you can play the game from start to finish without missing anything major, that is, the main storyline will be intact, no problem.

[quote name='DirkDiggler']wow, that sucks...how far along were you?

no worries...I just finished the game and for the most part played offline, b/c the black phantom buggers nailed be twice when I was far along in a couple levels.

You can play the whole game offline, which is what I basically did. What you lose by playing offline is a couple things...you won't see the glowing notes on the ground which are usually helpful or funny (one might warn you about an enemy or trap), you won't see the bloodstains which are also usually helpful or funny (they show you how someone in your spot died) and you won't have any interaction with other players. What happens with the other players is that they can either come to help you or come to kill you, and you can do the same. You can send out a beacon asking for help if you are having trouble with a boss or something. However, be wary because you can also have your world invaded which means that a black phantom is coming to kill you.

But you can play the game from start to finish without missing anything major, that is, the main storyline will be intact, no problem.[/QUOTE]

as far as the story goes not too far but i had started grinding out to level up and had alot of magic and items and now im back to square one. its cool though once i finish yakuza 3 ill start over again.

well I got started playing it yesterday and today...
I'm lost in Stonefang Tunnel 2-2 (just took a look at the map...even more confusing). I Don't want to kill myself cause I amassed ton of souls, but on the other hand all the enemies now seem to have really high defense (those lava slug things can take a lot of hits...). I wish I could back track, but the hole I fell in seems like a one way trip. I miss the palace

[quote name='dejeckt']well I got started playing it yesterday and today...
I'm lost in Stonefang Tunnel 2-2 (just took a look at the map...even more confusing). I Don't want to kill myself cause I amassed ton of souls, but on the other hand all the enemies now seem to have really high defense (those lava slug things can take a lot of hits...). I wish I could back track, but the hole I fell in seems like a one way trip. I miss the palace[/QUOTE]

You can wander around and if you get back to the top of the tunnel system, just follow the tunnels that have torches next to them, and you'll eventually end up at the boss flamelurker.

Ok, I finally got the Bramd and got all of the spells. So all I'm lacking now is the Rogue's trophy and the Soldier's trophy for the platinum.

I still can't get the friend's ring. I've killed all 5 black phantom NPCs, my statue is glowing white (I must be very close to Pure White Character Tendency), but the monumental won't give me the Friend's Ring (I'm sure that I said "yes"). All he talks about is the Pantheon on the top floor. After I killed black phantom Selen Vinland, I just went back to the Nexus (I didn't try to kill the Primeval Demon). So I think I'm hosed, I didn't think killing the PD affected your CT, but maybe it does...

::Sigh:: so I guess I'm off to kill Penetrator and the Blue Dragon and I'll check w/him again and hopefully he'll give me the Friend's Ring.

One really awesome thing is that, despite what the FAQs say, the Clever Rat's Ring/Morion blade does work with arrows now. I wish I would have known this a long time ago, because I kicked those giant's butts in the Valley of Defilement in hyper mode (

If you are in body form when talking to the Monumental, try soul form. If you are in soul form, try body form. Most of the time I get to pure white character tendency by hanging out in 4-1, 4-2, 1-3, 1-4 in body form at peak online times and then killing enough invading black phantoms to reach pure white, so I think I was probably in body form when I talked to him.

If you are close to full on white, and talking to him in the opposite form doesn't do it, you should only need to kill 1 invader to reach pure white character tendency. So I'd try sitting in body form in 1-3 (by the dog cages) late afternoon on a weekday.

I had a hard time getting pure white character tendency on my main guy too. What I did was create a new Blueblood Sword character just to get the rings, it took about 8 to 10 hours to get all of the rings. I also camped in 4-1 in body form.

Yeah, I tried to fight a black phantom player and I got my butt kicked. I only have a couple of stones of ephemeral eyes left and I don't want to waste them all. I guess I'll have to wait until the next playthrough and maybe I can kill black phantom Miralda again and make it to pure white CT.

I think I screwed myself in the first game, because I killed all 5 black phantoms, and I actually said "no" to the monumental (I didn't know about the friend's ring at that point). Then, I did my pure black CT stuff, so I think I was way down in the CT range. In NG+ I killed all the black phantom NPCs and made it back to neutral, but killed Ostrava to get the mausoleum key, so I think I'm down by 40%. Now in NG++ I've killed all 5 black phantoms, and I think I'm just barely not there.

how do you know where to go next... I beat the first boss, but after that I got totally lost, don't know where to go... someone point in the right direction so I can get back started with this game?

After defeating the first boss, it is common for players to continue through 1-2 (the bridge), and then 2-1. Your not tied down to these paths though, so feel free to explore other worlds.

[quote name='Thomas96']how do you know where to go next... I beat the first boss, but after that I got totally lost, don't know where to go... someone point in the right direction so I can get back started with this game?[/QUOTE]

Talk to the monumental if you haven't already. He's like a little bald kid sitting upstairs in the nexus with some candles. Once you talk to him, try playing 2-1 next, or even 3-1 or 4-1.

bread's done
Back