Demon's Souls - Atlus & From Software's Action RPG - October 6

Nope, but it is possible. Though even if you do, you fail, as when you teleport to the next chamber
You get falcon punched by a 100 foot tall creature and die.

See post #3357 for starting tips Thomas.

[quote name='Thomas96']how do you know where to go next... I beat the first boss, but after that I got totally lost, don't know where to go... someone point in the right direction so I can get back started with this game?[/QUOTE]

I'd go to either 2-1 (next arch stone to the right of the first level), or the one directly across from it, 4-1.

[quote name='jh6269']Yeah, I tried to fight a black phantom player and I got my butt kicked. I only have a couple of stones of ephemeral eyes left and I don't want to waste them all. I guess I'll have to wait until the next playthrough and maybe I can kill black phantom Miralda again and make it to pure white CT.

I think I screwed myself in the first game, because I killed all 5 black phantoms, and I actually said "no" to the monumental (I didn't know about the friend's ring at that point). Then, I did my pure black CT stuff, so I think I was way down in the CT range. In NG+ I killed all the black phantom NPCs and made it back to neutral, but killed Ostrava to get the mausoleum key, so I think I'm down by 40%. Now in NG++ I've killed all 5 black phantoms, and I think I'm just barely not there.[/QUOTE]

If you kill Saint Urbain before you save him in the pit, the dual katana black phantom re-spawns. So you can have an unlimited supply of Ephemeral Eyes.

[quote name='Ace_Defective']If you kill Saint Urbain before you save him in the pit, the dual katana black phantom re-spawns. So you can have an unlimited supply of Ephemeral Eyes.[/QUOTE]

Ah, well, I'm already past that point. Now that I found out that hyper mode works with bows, I started NG+++ and I've beat world 4 and 5. Now I just need to beat the Tower of Latria and Flamelurker, and kill some black phantom NPCs (going after Selen Vinland now).

Ok, need some info. I killed black phantom Selen Vinland and another Primeval Demon, and I thought I was at PWCT. I went to talk to the Monumental, and still nothing. I've been looking online about the Northern Regalia b/c it's supposed to tell you your CT. I just want to make sure I'm reading it right. I don't know which numbers mean what. There are four numbers, two next to physical damage and two next to magic damange.

Mine say 135 for both physical and magical damage, and a +108 next to each 135. Am I shooting for +135 in both categories if I continue to increase my white character tendency?

Also, does the monumental just give you the ring at any time once you talk to him upon reaching PWCT? I haven't spoken to him since the first time when I accepted the mission. I thought I was at PWCT, so I went to speak to him again. Did I screw myself, or will he still give it to me once I attain PWCT?

I read some people had trouble getting it from him and had to beat the game and once they spoke to him and accepted the mission, he gave it to them right away (I really hope that's not the case).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jacknicklson']Iirc Primevals only increase wt
You gotta kill more named black phantoms[/QUOTE]
Yep, only black phantom kills (that includes invading players) increase CT. Can't remember if bosses do as well.

[quote name='Jodou']Yep, only black phantom kills (that includes invading players) increase CT. Can't remember if bosses do as well.[/QUOTE]

Don't think bosses do (if they do, it's extremely low). Anyway, do you know how to tell what your CT is with the Northern Regalia? Is it 135 and +135 for both physical and magical damage?

[quote name='jh6269']Don't think bosses do (if they do, it's extremely low). Anyway, do you know how to tell what your CT is with the Northern Regalia? Is it 135 and +135 for both physical and magical damage?[/QUOTE]

If you're in pure white or pure black it should show 135+135 physical damage, and 135+135 magic damage. You are not there yet.

[quote name='Ace_Defective']If you're in pure white or pure black it should show 135+135 physical damage, and 135+135 magic damage. You are not there yet.[/QUOTE]

Ok, that's what I realized after I spoke to the monumental. Do you know if he just opens the dialog, where he gives you the ring, immediately following achieving PWCT? I really hope I don't have to finish the entire game to get the Friend's ring.

You just have to talk to him while you have pure white character tendency, and he will immediately give you the ring. FYI, killing black phantoms via only poison, plague, soulsuck. or fall damage will not shift your tendency toward white. That's why I had to kill an invader in my first playthrough as I let Scirvir the Wanderer fall to his death instead of actively killing him.

Other places to farm stone of EE
1.)Kill plague babies next to the shore and they will occasionally drop stones of EE, more at blacker tendency, though just having the sword of searching equipped would probably be enough in whiter tendencies.
2.)If you get enough stones of EE to get pure black tendency in World five, the black phantom giant depraved one near the dirty colossus archstone (back track toward the filthy woman) will ALWAYS drop a stone of EE upon death.

^ Oh man, that blows, I think I killed BP Miralda with plague last time. I probably could have been at PWCT by now.

I only killed one BP so far, so if I kill the other four, I'm sure to get there. I was actually thinking of sending the BP invader that kicked my butt the other night if he'd help me, since he's clearly in my soul level range. But I will hold off until it's a last resort.

EDIT: I finally got the ring and got the Rogue's trophy. It only took one more BP kill to get it (from +108 to +135). He gave it immediately after I spoke to him once I got PWCT.

Ugh, I'm so ready to be done w/this. All I have left is to go get the Red Hot Demon's Soul and the Old Monk's Soul and I'm done.

Finally was able to get the platinum. Man, that was exhausting. I really wish I would have tried the hyper mode in the 2nd and 3rd playthrough; it makes the game incredibly easy.

[quote name='jh6269']Finally was able to get the platinum. Man, that was exhausting. I really wish I would have tried the hyper mode in the 2nd and 3rd playthrough; it makes the game incredibly easy.[/QUOTE]
Grats man, and to think it only took you one year exactly lol. Demon's Souls is a year old in the states today! I had wanted to start a new character today in celebration, but my Castlevania comes today. Decisions, decisions. . .

[quote name='Jodou']Grats man, and to think it only took you one year exactly lol. Demon's Souls is a year old in the states today! I had wanted to start a new character today in celebration, but my Castlevania comes today. Decisions, decisions. . .[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know. I was interested in the game when it came out, and then I listened to all the buzz about it how it's so incredibly hard, etc., and it kind of scared me off. I didn't want to drop $60 for a game that I'd get mad at and quit playing. But when that Amazon deal came out, and it was $30, I snatched it for $10 with my credit.

It really is a great game, I really don't think it's so exceptionally hard that any gamer couldn't enjoy it (especially if you use a walkthrough). It would have been a shame if this quality game did not come to the US.

Ah, so now what? I got 2 choices as well. Castlevania (got it yesterday), or Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time... My wife really didn't like this game, she didn't like God of War, and I'm sure she's not going to like Castlevania, so I was thinking maybe taking a break from demons and monsters for a bit and knocking R&C out before I move on. By the time I beat R&C, I'll have Vanquish to play too. Too many games, too little time :D

Biggest selling / most successful game in Atlus history...damn. Well deserved though, IMO. One of these days I'll finish it, lol.

For the one year anniversary they are doing a
Pure White world tendency event 10/6 to 10/18
Pure Black world tendency event 10/19 to 10/31

So this month (particularly the 1st half) will be the best time to get any items you may have missed or start playing for the 1st time as the enemies will be at their weakest until the 19th.

demonssouls_oneyearanniversary_makeawish_1.jpg

===

This is helpful for matching up tendency.
http://www.atlus.com/mediawiki/index.php/Tendency

WORLD TENDENCY

WT-archstone-color.jpg

CHARACTER TENDENCY
CT-color.jpg

[quote name='jh6269']Finally was able to get the platinum. Man, that was exhausting. I really wish I would have tried the hyper mode in the 2nd and 3rd playthrough; it makes the game incredibly easy.[/QUOTE]
Just jumping in here, but what is "hyper mode"?

So I guess that means if you're trying for a certain tendency, don't play the game online when the opposite tendency event is active?
Though, I'm a bit confused how the events effect my worlds. I first started playing during the last PWWT event (I know because the gate to the left of the start of World 1-1 was open) and I thought that meant all my world tendencies were PW and would stay that way until I did something to change them, or there was another event, but when I started playing 4-1 the other day, I noticed what's his face was on the wall, so obviously it isn't PW. :/

[quote name='celegus']Just jumping in here, but what is "hyper mode"?[/QUOTE]
Clever rat's ring and the Morion blade both have an attribute which significantly increases offensive power when your HP is below 30% and the effect stacks. So wear the ring, have the morion blade in your off-hand, lower your HP to below 30% (usually by equipping the Makoto blade until HP is low enough) and your attack power increases something like 110% and that extra damage ignores enemy defense (I think).

Ahhh okay. I didn't realize there was a term for that, it was definitely useful in certain situations (usually with a bow).

Edit: Especially for laming the False King if you don't feel like putting up with his shenanigans.

[quote name='mguiddy']So I guess that means if you're trying for a certain tendency, don't play the game online when the opposite tendency event is active?
Though, I'm a bit confused how the events effect my worlds. I first started playing during the last PWWT event (I know because the gate to the left of the start of World 1-1 was open) and I thought that meant all my world tendencies were PW and would stay that way until I did something to change them, or there was another event, but when I started playing 4-1 the other day, I noticed what's his face was on the wall, so obviously it isn't PW. :/[/QUOTE]
They stay that way until the tendency event ends, and then the server resets to neutral (and anyone who connects to it right after the event ends). Slowly the majority of players get their personal worlds to high white and the server average moves to one step below pure white. Anyone who connects to the server at that point has their pure white average with the just below pure white server, which moves your world to one step below pure white.

Short answer, once a tendency event ends, the only way to keep PBWT or PWWT is to not connect to the Demon's Soul server when playing the game (log off from PSN before loading your character) as that act changes your world tendencies to an average of your world + the server which will never be pure.

[quote name='celegus']Ahhh okay. I didn't realize there was a term for that, it was definitely useful in certain situations (usually with a bow).

Edit: Especially for laming the False King if you don't feel like putting up with his shenanigans.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, sorry to use the Jargon, I just wanted to look cool LOL But seriously, I always see people use that term, and it's much easier to just say hyper mode than to explain it each time...

But yeah, I used it on level four and beat the level in like 15 mins (all the bosses). Adjudicator took me like 5 or so hits and he was dead LOL

I played 3 playthroughs w/o "hyper mode" and man I wish I would have tried it (all the FAQs and Wiki say that it won't work with bows, but it DOES). Especially for those annoying giant goblins in level 5. I can kill those a-holes in 3 hits w/hyper mode. W/O hyper mode, it took like 10 or more hits for me and I had to shoot form a long distance. Very frustrating.

I decided to do a base soul level run with a level 6 magician. I beat everything in level 1 except King Allant, all of levels 2 & 3, and the first levels in 4 & 5. My problem is level 4-2 is kicking my ass, any advice?
I have the Kris Blade +3, and the Moon Short Sword +4.

[quote name='Ace_Defective']I decided to do a base soul level run with a level 6 magician. I beat everything in level 1 except King Allant, all of levels 2 & 3, and the first levels in 4 & 5. My problem is level 4-2 is kicking my ass, any advice?
I have the Kris Blade +3, and the Moon Short Sword +4.[/QUOTE]

Those are the only weapons you have, or do you have more?

I always use my Sticky Compound Long bow for 4-2. Shoot the reapers from a distance, and use anti-magic field on the third one that is around the corner. Dark silver shield is necessary to block the shadow's light beam.

Which part of 4-2 is giving you trouble? the Reapers + minions, the stormbeasts, and/or gold + black skeletons?

He's at a low level so he can't use any of those items. The laser beam from shadowlurkers can be avoided if you are very close to them, as the beam from their head shoots over the top of you.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Which part of 4-2 is giving you trouble? the Reapers + minions, the stormbeasts, and/or gold + black skeletons?

He's at a low level so he can't use any of those items. The laser beam from shadowlurkers can be avoided if you are very close to them, as the beam from their head shoots over the top of you.[/QUOTE]

I got through 4-2 today. It was the Shadow Lurkers that were giving me trouble.

I made a Dragon Short Sword +5, and used Cloak & Flame Toss to get me through. Plus my Kris Blade is +5 now.

Off to world 5-2 I go.

The first time I played 5-3 I slipped on that first ledge by the two worshiping depraved ones and fell into the plague swamp. It scared the crap out of me when I was suddenly surrounded by swarms of
bloated, red aborted fetuses with spikes on their arms.

I wonder Project Dark will have some kind of perks if you have a Demon's Souls save file. That would be pretty sweet if you were able to use all this crap you collected, and can't sell, in the next game. Or maybe carry over some of that cool stuff you upgraded, etc.

[quote name='Ace_Defective']Just beat the game in 11:45 with my level 6 Magician.[/QUOTE]
Wait, what? You beat the game, start to finish, in 11 minutes and 45 seconds? That doesn't seem possible.

[quote name='jh6269']I wonder Project Dark will have some kind of perks if you have a Demon's Souls save file. That would be pretty sweet if you were able to use all this crap you collected, and can't sell, in the next game. Or maybe carry over some of that cool stuff you upgraded, etc.[/QUOTE]
I hope not. Just because I lost my save when my 60gb PS3 died. Stupid non-transferable saves.
I got the platinum, and probably wasn't going to play the game again, but it still hurts. A lot.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I hope not. Just because I lost my save when my 60gb PS3 died. Stupid non-transferable saves.
I got the platinum, and probably wasn't going to play the game again, but it still hurts. A lot.[/QUOTE]

Oh that freaking sucks... So if I back up my entire drive, and restore it on the same PS3, does it save my copy-protected saves? I noticed it didn't let me copy it to my USB drive, but I was wondering if the backup utility would. I thought they changed it in the last year...

A full backup should copy everything.
Copy protected saves just prevent you from copying to a memory card and makes the PS3 delete it if you transfer it via the PS3 to PS3 transfer utility thingy.

[quote name='mguiddy']A full backup should copy everything.
Copy protected saves just prevent you from copying to a memory card and makes the PS3 delete it if you transfer it via the PS3 to PS3 transfer utility thingy.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, if you do the PS3 to PS3 transfer thing, but if the original PS3 is dead like mine was, you can't use that. A full backup will only work if you restore it to the same PS3.

[quote name='jh6269']I wonder Project Dark will have some kind of perks if you have a Demon's Souls save file. That would be pretty sweet if you were able to use all this crap you collected, and can't sell, in the next game. Or maybe carry over some of that cool stuff you upgraded, etc.[/QUOTE]

Wait, is there some sort of sequel that has been announced!? Clearly I am out of the loop ;).

I still need to finish off my platinum. Seriously, I probably only have 3-4 more hours to get there but it has been so long since I've played I'm kind of apprehensive about getting back into it and having to deal with World 3 and World 5 again (all I have left to finish to get the last 2 spells I need for the plat).

[quote name='io']Wait, is there some sort of sequel that has been announced!? Clearly I am out of the loop ;).[/QUOTE]
Yeah, a game was announced during TGS (I believe that was when it was announced). It's called Project Dark currently, but from the trailer (you can youtube it), it looks exactly like Demon's Souls.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Yeah, a game was announced during TGS (I believe that was when it was announced). It's called Project Dark currently, but from the trailer (you can youtube it), it looks exactly like Demon's Souls.[/QUOTE]

Just to add a bit more info, it's also been announced to be multi-platform. The name might still be undecided but it most likely won't be called Demon Souls 2 as Sony owns the IP.

[quote name='io']Wait, is there some sort of sequel that has been announced!? Clearly I am out of the loop ;).

I still need to finish off my platinum. Seriously, I probably only have 3-4 more hours to get there but it has been so long since I've played I'm kind of apprehensive about getting back into it and having to deal with World 3 and World 5 again (all I have left to finish to get the last 2 spells I need for the plat).[/QUOTE]

Oh man, I got world 3 down to a science (4th time's a charm ;)). I can't help you too much with the key hunt in the prison (I haven't memorized it that well). However, if you just go straight for the keys, you can get through it in like 10-15 mins. There's a way to kill the false idol w/o taking any damage, I posted it to this thread if you're interested. One thing I can say is that if you do not open the cells, those prisoners won't be able to come after you.

Next, the swamp, all you need to do is stay on the wooden walkway and you will get to the 2nd tower w/o any issue (snipe all the scorpions along the way).

Maneater,
you kill the 1st one through the fog with arrows, and take out the second w/a spear and bow

Old Monk, you can also do w/o taking any damage
(equip both thieves ring and graverobber's ring) walk just through the fog, stand there, and snipe away with bow & arrows

This game never gets tiring, I already have 3 accounts, one maxed out, and the other at level 200 and the last at 90, I keep those ranges mainly for online fights, and as of right now I cant find a better sword than the BB.

[quote name='jh6269']Oh man, I got world 3 down to a science (4th time's a charm ;)). I can't help you too much with the key hunt in the prison (I haven't memorized it that well). However, if you just go straight for the keys, you can get through it in like 10-15 mins. There's a way to kill the false idol w/o taking any damage, I posted it to this thread if you're interested. One thing I can say is that if you do not open the cells, those prisoners won't be able to come after you.

Next, the swamp, all you need to do is stay on the wooden walkway and you will get to the 2nd tower w/o any issue (snipe all the scorpions along the way).

Maneater,
you kill the 1st one through the fog with arrows, and take out the second w/a spear and bow

Old Monk, you can also do w/o taking any damage
(equip both thieves ring and graverobber's ring) walk just through the fog, stand there, and snipe away with bow & arrows
.[/QUOTE]

Well, it is my third playthrough so I'm familiar with all the strategies. My problem is that it has been so long since I've played that I'm not sure I'll be able to be as adept with combat as I once was. In particular switching between spear and arrows quickly. And it really isn't the bosses that I have a problem with, it is the stupid club dudes in World 5. Those things always take me out if I let them get too close. I usually try to snipe them but another problem I have is that not having played through world 4 in this playthrough (because I don't need to) I no longer have the heavy arrow seller guy. I banked 999 before this playthrough but I'm down quite a bit after dealing with the red dragon and some other stuff.

The good news is that I am through the prison area actually - I did this a month or two ago after not playing for several months. It took me a lot longer than the last time I did it (getting back into the controls) but it is done now. So the rest of World 3 shouldn't be too tough - it is world 5 that I am dreading revisiting. That was by far the least enjoyable part of the game for me so I'm just kind of not that into getting through it. But man, I put so much time into this game that it would be a shame to stop one trophy short of the platinum as I have done for 9 months now...

bread's done
Back