Demon's Souls - Atlus & From Software's Action RPG - October 6

[quote name='Saint Noir'] I would definitely call the DM on that Gamestop store. That's garbage and Gamestop employees do it all the time. [/QUOTE]

Eh I hardly ever go to Gamestop so I don't really care that much I just thought it was funny. I was heading to Toys R Us to pick the $5 Snow White Blu-ray and just called the Gamestop that was on the way up there. Girl there was the complete opposite and offered to hold the game for me without me even asking.

There's going to be good and bad employees for every company. No real way to avoid it.

Game is amazing so far. Only died twice on the way to Phalanx and I whooped it's blob ass.

I'm pretty sure my overconfidence will be the end of me.

[quote name='knightsdwn']Game is amazing so far. Only died twice on the way to Phalanx and I whooped it's blob ass.

I'm pretty sure my overconfidence will be the end of me.[/QUOTE]

What class did you go with? How about others who have it? :cool:

I'm really enjoying the game as well. The first boss was definitely different and made me think (didn't know about how to correctly kill him). I haven't died yet though. I seem to play too defensive and stealthy to get caught off guard so far.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']Went to the local Gamestop and all they had were pre-orders. Took calling 5 other stores in the area before I found one that had a single non-reserved copy left over and they held it for me. A few of the GS around here only got 3 copies of the game in.

The first store I went to got in 7 copies and had 4 on pre-order reserve. When I asked to purchase one of the extra copies the only clerk in the store said "Sorry, those are for me and my two friends."

Won't get to play until later tonight though. Cant wait to run around and die :hot:[/QUOTE]

:lol: I knew that would happen at some GS stores. Of course, the reason for that being that people think Atlus equates to automatically gonna be worth a shitload down the line.

While I can see that happening with this, there's no guarantee and the harder difficulty will probably have many people selling their copies within a week or two.

HAHAHAHA!!! I just checked Ebay and here's one person already saying it's 'too hard for me' after playing for an HOUR: http://cgi.ebay.com/Demons-Souls-De...temQQptZVideo_Games_Games?hash=item27ac204441

I really wish there was a demo to try it b/c I love this type of game and the "multiplayer" sounds very very cool but even the Gametrailers review started with "This game is hard..."

Am I crazy, or is the thought of losing hours of progress not sound fun?

Got mine but I'm too sick today to play it... Blah - damn kids and their damn going to school and catching all sorts of crap :cry:.

In any case, I plan to play it when I feel better. If anyone wants to add me on PSN so I can do this multiplayer thing I'd appreciate it. I don't have that many people on my PSN friends list (as opposed to my 360 list for some reason).

Even if this isn't required I wouldn't mind getting some people with interests similar to mine (this game, Katamari, R&C, basically any non-shooter, non-fighting, non-sports games ;)).

so does the multiplayer base anything off of your friends list at all? I ordered a copy for myself and a friend today, and I'd prefer to play online with him (and others on my friends list) over randoms if possible.

Playing as a Royal as others have suggested.

I've officially hit a wall on the way to the Tower Knight boss in World 1-2 after dying 3 consecutive times. Those stupid Blue Eye Knights love to gang up on me :bomb:.

I'm pretty sure I can get past those bastards and the boss relatively easy when I get some more playing time tomorrow.

Um...you're supposed to
die in one hit at the end of the tutorial, right? This cat killed me in one hit then I ended up in the Nexus.

Like the gameplay mechanic so far. Hope it's more fun than frustrating, unlike what most people have been saying.

[quote name='mykevermin']Um...you're supposed to
die in one hit at the end of the tutorial, right? This cat killed me in one hit then I ended up in the Nexus.

Like the gameplay mechanic so far. Hope it's more fun than frustrating, unlike what most people have been saying.[/QUOTE]

Yeah you get one shot killed. Dying is a major part of the game so I guess the game introduces it to the player rather early on.

It can get a bit frustrating but it'll probably be the player's fault for not being cautious of his or her surroundings. Although there are a fair share of situations where you'll be saying bull shit with some cheap enemies stun locking you.

Well, no movement on my Amazon preorder prompted me to check out a really cool B&M I visit from time to time. I said if they had the deluxe edition I would get it and cancel Amazon's (as it was a standard edition). They had multiple copies of the deluxe edition. Woo woo.

I now have it in hand and will get to play it this week. Supported a cool B&M store and got the deluxe. If anyone in southern L.A. wants to grab a copy, let me know and I'll give you the B&M info.

Oh, and the store was cool and gladly proclaimed I would be getting the artbook/CD as well, instead of trying to hoard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else think its kind of perverted the way the soul maiden says something along the lines of "touch the demon inside of me" lol.

Like the gameplay mechanic so far. Hope it's more fun than frustrating, unlike what most people have been saying.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I hear most people die before the end of the tutorial.

Got my shipping conf from amazon just a little while ago. I might get it before the weekend, but maybe early next week depending on the shipping.

It's a very fun game, if not frustrating at times, but after getting up to the boss last night for the first level FINALLY I'm definitely liking it even more.

None of my local Gamestop stores had a single copy left, but I still have the import so I'll just try and slog through that. But I still want the guide for it.

Got my copy from Amazon today. $47 for the deluxe edition, so awesome.

Probably play it later tonight, I'll read the strategy guide after I get my ass handed to me.

I picked up my deluxe edition earlier today, and have been playing on and off since then, and I've only beat 1-1. I've only died 3 times I think, so I'm pretty proud of myself.. lol. But now I know don't mess around with the red eyes.. lol

I'm all for the multiplayer part. Even though I haven't been in anyone's game, I love the messages on the floor. I know I would have died a lot more if it wasn't for them, So I try to do my part and place as many good notes as I can. And the full heath bonus is great :whee:

[quote name='Lorddraco07']I'm really enjoying the game as well. The first boss was definitely different and made me think (didn't know about how to correctly kill him). I haven't died yet though. I seem to play too defensive and stealthy to get caught off guard so far.[/QUOTE]

That's the best way to play.. I always see the ghosts of other players running and dying like crazy.. lol

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer'] HAHAHAHA!!! I just checked Ebay and here's one person already saying it's 'too hard for me' after playing for an HOUR: http://cgi.ebay.com/Demons-Souls-De...temQQptZVideo_Games_Games?hash=item27ac204441[/QUOTE]

At least he tried... lol

Can you upgrade your attributes before finishing 1-1?

Also, are there any good guide for beginners? I don't want to dump my points into something worthless.

Just got the game, And I gotta say, I'm loving it!
McLoving style~

My 1st impression is posted on my blog (sig)

But wow, love this game :D

[quote name='carnefice'] But now I know don't mess around with the red eyes.. lol
[/QUOTE]

Ha ha yeah, my only two deaths in 1-1 was trying to fight that bastard. I found a pretty easy way to kill 'em is to
lure it all the way back to the long winding staircase with all the dreglings and the short cut to the entrance. The Red Eye Knight will eventually just fall off and die a horrible death thus netting you around 2k souls and some nice items.

You mean the red eye knight that's off on the one side walkway atop the castle? He's brutal, but I beat him using Soul Arrow and backing up constantly. LOL

Edit: Woops, nevermind. Just read the online portion of the wiki. Makes sense that it's only randoms, as only live players who have not beaten that levels boss, and have a specific item to use, can "summon" ghost players. Ah well, looks hella fun regardless.

Sorry, but I could really use an answer on this, as another buddy of mine only wants it if we can purposely pair up. From what I've read, that's not how it works, right? Or am I mistaken?

[quote name='Zmonkay']so does the multiplayer base anything off of your friends list at all? I ordered a copy for myself and a friend today, and I'd prefer to play online with him (and others on my friends list) over randoms if possible.[/QUOTE]

Man, I am loving this game thus far. It is exhilarating just to play a game in this style, which I have not done in ages. So awesome so early... can't wait to see what's ahead!

I took out the red eyes. But he stuck me the first time. I got turned around and he smacked me good. Second time I put him on mega blast though (if mega blast constitutes running away every chance I got).

EDIT - Was so scared to turn off the game... didn't know how save and load worked. Luckily it loaded me right back to where I was. Was going to be unhappy if I had to roll through the level again.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Sorry, but I could really use an answer on this, as another buddy of mine only wants it if we can purposely pair up. From what I've read, that's not how it works, right? Or am I mistaken?[/QUOTE]

It's possible to play with friends, but it seems difficult to set up.

I'm only basing this on a portion of a review I read on Amazon:

[quote name='Random Amazon Guy']If you are in soul form, then you can put a blue sign on the ground in order to be summoned by others or you can use an item to invade another player's game. However, you cannot just invite your friends to your game. If you and your friends are on different servers (which you have no control over) you won't see the signs they left and will not be able to summon them. If you happen to be on the same server, you can arrange a location in the game to put the sign (via XMB message) and then summon the other person.[/QUOTE]

Link to whole review.

[quote name='dallow']It is possible to kill the tutorial boss apparently, and you get a nice reward.[/QUOTE]

My one buddy started taking life off of the tutorial boss, but then I told him to do the roll move to get out of the way of a strike and he didn't roll fast/far enough and got killed.:cry:

But define 'nice reward'.

[quote name='knightsdwn']Playing as a Royal as others have suggested.

I've officially hit a wall on the way to the Tower Knight boss in World 1-2 after dying 3 consecutive times. Those stupid Blue Eye Knights love to gang up on me :bomb:.

I'm pretty sure I can get past those bastards and the boss relatively easy when I get some more playing time tomorrow.[/QUOTE]
Spend some time practicing parry. You're invulnerable while performing a critical blow, so you can one-shot them once you've perfected it.

On a side note, I went Temple Knight and I've never needed a ranged attack like people have been clamoring about. I guess it's an easier learning curve if you're not forced to learn the melee mechanics but I'd be willing to bet it will bite them in the ass later.

Question for the experienced: is it possible to parry polearms? It's the only weapon I've never been able to time correctly it seems, so I stopped trying assuming you just couldn't.

Man, I love the parry move.

The ranged attack seems too easy sometimes, so unless there is a huge group of enemies, I usually melee attack. I figure, as you stated, it might come back to haunt me. So I want to make sure I am well rounded.

I also never enter a room, go down a hallway, etc. without my shield firmly planted in front of my face. A measured pace seems a must. So far so good. I did load up on a ton of HP when I hit the upgrade lady for the first time.

EDIT - Haha... I didn't add my bloodstain until after the time listed...
http://www.destructoid.com/demon-s-souls-has-a-death-toll-you-re-just-a-statistic-151197.phtml

And boy do I love my Cling Ring.

EDIT 2 - LOL at this guys comment... "Based on what I saw last night, probably half of those deaths were due to people thinking that this was Halo and running through doors at full speed, getting flattened by an ambush. And a few unfortunate cases of people just straight running off of ledges."

I saw so many blood stains of people ninja rolling off cliffs or barreling full speed into a room of enemies.

Oh great, I thought I had finally escaped the horror of the Oblivion face generator. Now the nightmares are going to start all over again.

Damn, this game wasn't even on my radar until yesterday and now I have to have it! Was going to wait until the TRU B2G1 next week but looks like TRU didn't even get this game but Fry's has it on sale :whee:

Ok I got a question for you folks.

I don't mind a bit of difficulty. My pet peeve is games that make you re-do hours of work (like suddenly getting spammed all death in persona 3 after 30 minutes of gameplay).... does this kind of fustration happen in this game?

[quote name='Zoglog']Ok I got a question for you folks.

I don't mind a bit of difficulty. My pet peeve is games that make you re-do hours of work (like suddenly getting spammed all death in persona 3 after 30 minutes of gameplay).... does this kind of fustration happen in this game?[/QUOTE]

You mean "Cheap" kills....I can say postivly, that their is none of that, every enemies have a pattern, exploit it

[quote name='woodcan']Damn, this game wasn't even on my radar until yesterday and now I have to have it! Was going to wait until the TRU B2G1 next week but looks like TRU didn't even get this game but Fry's has it on sale :whee:[/QUOTE]

on sale @ frys? how much

nm see it :) 49

Not yet. Not to me.

I made it through 1-1 with 1 death maybe. 1-2, I got to the end and decided on a terrible plan and died at the boss. I died a few more times on the way back, but it was no big deal. Levels aren't MASSIVE (yet), so dying means you have to go through again but it isn't a super long ways. You just have to learn where people are and what the best plan of attack is... I don't see the game cheating me at all. When I've died it was because I was impatient or just did something dumb.

But you will die... you will have to redo... but it is rewarding. I think the never cheap thing is the most important part (to me).

I did not realize the messages and bloodstains were the assistance and failures (respectively) of other players.

That's fuckin' fantastic. I did get pretty pissed when I died last night, though. The important thing is that today I'm thinking about how to play to avoid dying tonight. That's the sign of a good game. We'll see if I do give up after a few tries, though. I hope not.

[quote name='knightsdwn']Ha ha yeah, my only two deaths in 1-1 was trying to fight that bastard. I found a pretty easy way to kill 'em is to
lure it all the way back to the long winding staircase with all the dreglings and the short cut to the entrance. The Red Eye Knight will eventually just fall off and die a horrible death thus netting you around 2k souls and some nice items.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah I tried doing that but
on the part where the two barrels are supposed to stop him, he just broke those down and kept following me to the ends of the earth where I figured I had to fight him, with my pride on the line, but he quickly sent me back to the beginning of the level.. lol
Yeah I wanted the spear that he could drop, but I ended up randomly finding it somewhere.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You mean the red eye knight that's off on the one side walkway atop the castle? He's brutal, but I beat him using Soul Arrow and backing up constantly. LOL[/QUOTE]

I could only get 1 good soul arrow in before he started blocking everything (The second time I tried to fight him). Eventually I gave up.

Was at a boss (2-1) and hit some people's blue messages just for fun. Could have handled the battle on my own (was very much tailored for my current skills/equipment), but it was really cool to have 2 allies running around with me. Definitely recommended!

bread's done
Back