Demon's Souls - Atlus & From Software's Action RPG - October 6

Don't forget that health healing items do very little when our poisoned as well, so make sure you heal from the poison before consuming any grass.

[quote name='Backlash']This. Definitely fight them on land - their blows are easy to avoid by rolling once you get up onto their islands.

Regarding the poison - use equipment that regenerates HP. Your HP goes down, but it's so slow you don't really need to worry about it. There's a ring for that which is easy to get, though I forget the name right now. Black leather armor also helps quite a bit due to its poison resistance.[/QUOTE]

Is it the Regenerative Ring? I found it in the same level (5-2) so now, I have 2 health healing items I can wear. The ring and the Adjucator's Shield. Hopefully that will do enough to make poison almost a non-issue.

@Guardian_Owl, thanks, your strategy worked. I'm doing that FAQ and I've got the assassin's build, so my vitality is extremely low. Basically I did the ring + water shield combo; the fire did knock me down and took like 75% of my health. I was able to get back up and run to the arch though.

Ok, next problem. Ostrava must have died prior to 1-3. I saved him twice and didn't see him again in 1-3. So now I'm screwed.

My question is, is it possible to summon someone who has the mausoleum key and can open the door for me? Does anyone know for sure whether it works? If so, would anyone want to help me out?

[quote name='jh6269']My question is, is it possible to summon someone who has the mausoleum key and can open the door for me? Does anyone know for sure whether it works? If so, would anyone want to help me out?[/QUOTE]
Nope, if you run back through 1-3 and can't find him anywhere on the steps, then better luck next playthrough. He would have dropped it where he died, if that's what happened, but that would disappear once you turn the game off.

It's almost certainly gone, as Jodou said. Just kill him in 1-1 on your next play-through to make sure you get the key. (Grab the key off his body before you go back to the Nexus.)

I usually stay far away from difficult games, but I'm interested in this one.

Is this game controller-throwingly, frustratingly difficult? Should I pass?

The guy in the mausoleum (after the charging Black Phantom) is impossible. He takes like no damage, charges at you when you hit him, and takes about half damage from me :( My character in this game is so bad. Soul Level 75 and I am horrible in dealing out damage. Only good thing about him is he has tons of MP.

[quote name='pram12']The guy in the mausoleum (after the charging Black Phantom) is impossible. He takes like no damage, charges at you when you hit him, and takes about half damage from me :( My character in this game is so bad. Soul Level 75 and I am horrible in dealing out damage. Only good thing about him is he has tons of MP.[/QUOTE]
Meat Cleaver is your friend here. That or Northern Regalia, but considering you probably have neither you can just use the backstab exploit that involves kiting him til he gives up chase. Once that happens (thief ring is a must), you can just walk up behind him for a sneak attack. The tricky part is when he gets low on health, at which point you just need to dodge his attacks and hit him with a strong attack from a longsword when he goes to heal. Don't bother wearing armor and just use the hardest hitting large sword you can find with a 2H stance for bonus damage. If you have a Morion Blade (doubtful) you can use the same strat above only with low health and the various extra items for hyper damage to really cut through him.

The tools are out there, but he's honestly one of the easiest bosses in the game with the right approach.

[quote name='Invin']Poison him, retreat, poison him again (once it wears off).[/QUOTE]
That's for the False King, not Doran. Doran will heal himself.

Man, I might have to start a new character on the one year anniversary. I want a sequel sooooooooo bad.

[quote name='Jodou']That's for the False King, not Doran. Doran will heal himself.

Man, I might have to start a new character on the one year anniversary. I want a sequel sooooooooo bad.[/QUOTE]

I don't think he heals himself from Death Cloud, though, if you have that. That's how I beat him (super-cheesy).

Poison cloud/death cloud before talking to him or attacking him should cause him to stand there and slowly die without coming after you

If you have soul remains (can buy them from grave robber bilge or farm them from skeletons in shrine of storms) toss them out, let him attack them, then backstab him. Repeat till dead

If that doesn't work Use a large weapon like great sword/Dragon Bone Smasher to damage him while knocking him down. If you don't have the stats to wield a big weapon like that put the stormruler from the end of the Shrine of storms on your alt weapon switch as it has knockdown. Knock him down, switch to your main weapon and attack or use the opportunity to hit him with magic, then switch back to the stormruler to knock him to the ground again.

[quote name='Jodou']Nope, if you run back through 1-3 and can't find him anywhere on the steps, then better luck next playthrough. He would have dropped it where he died, if that's what happened, but that would disappear once you turn the game off.[/QUOTE]

I know that it's gone from my game for good, I was just wondering if I summoned a blue phantom (another player) that got the key in their game, would it be able to open the door for me in my game using the key that they got in their game.

I know I can just do New Game+ and kill him in 1-1, I just don't know if I'm going to want to do New Game+; also, isn't the difficulty harder on subsequent play-throughs?

Not sure if this has been mentioned on here before but here is potential game breaking tip. If you love the game but die a lot or are worried it might be too hard, you can use this trick....

If you die anytime you can just go to "quit game" by hitting the PS button on your controller. You must do this as soon as you die. When you load the game back up your character will be safe and sound right before the spot you died. You can also do this against bosses and when you load it up you will be waiting outside the room to fight the boss. The game has so many cheap deaths it's almost impossible to not use this trick. You can also use this trick to dupe items as well if you have a partner.

This pretty much saved me from throwing my controller through my tv many times. enjoy : )

[quote name='jh6269']I know that it's gone from my game for good, I was just wondering if I summoned a blue phantom (another player) that got the key in their game, would it be able to open the door for me in my game using the key that they got in their game.

I know I can just do New Game+ and kill him in 1-1, I just don't know if I'm going to want to do New Game+; also, isn't the difficulty harder on subsequent play-throughs?[/QUOTE]
Can't summon blue phantoms to areas which you have killed the boss and you already killed Phalanx.

If you know someone else playing the game with a similar soul level there is a method to dupe items, once they beat Doran they could dupe you the armor and the sword. The sword is nice (if you have pure white character tendency) and the armor is decent statwise but so very fugly.

[quote name='guardian_owl']The sword is nice (if you have pure white character tendency) and the armor is decent statwise but so very fugly.[/QUOTE]The armor is the best balanced in the game actually due to the light weight. Almost all endgame players use pieces of it, if not the full suit.

I think I skipped 4 bosses accidently. Now I'm stuck with NG+. And the ending I got was one of the most anti-climatic endings ever. I am disappoint. I guess I'll redo the game lol.

The good ending is always crap. And well, the game has a less epic end boss than Gradius. I wouldn't worry about it, just play the plus game.

[quote name='Jodou']The armor is the best balanced in the game actually due to the light weight. Almost all endgame players use pieces of it, if not the full suit.[/QUOTE]
Right, it's primary benefit is that it is the highest stated armor for males with no stamina regeneration penalty but I find that only really important if you are max tweaking your character for PVP. Personally I'd rather be slightly less efficient and wear a snazzier outfit. The only piece of ancient's I occasionally wear is the arm bands and I do fine in NG++.

My wife's build can't use magic and I'm tempted to get a second copy of Demon's Souls to help her. I haven't played the game so don't know how viable it would be try to go through the whole game this way (I know beating a boss revives the phantom character(s), which complicates things).

I went through the game with no magic and am at the end, and have been for a month or so. Just not compelled to fight the "King". I'll get around to it one of these days.

Still have to beat:
Demon's Soul
Heavenly Sword(at the end)
GTA IV(close to the end).

Even if you don't plan to use any offensive magic, it's probably a good idea to get at least 10/16 faith and/or 10 magic to get access to some useful buff miracles/spells which don't depend on pumping the magic stat to do damage.
Miracle
Evacuate = to return to the nexus
Second Chance (16 faith+15 Int) = Survive a mortal blow and refills half your health once per cast.
Anti-magic field (16 faith) = Prevents non-bosses from casting magic, VERY handy for the tower of Latria.
Magic
Cloak = Enemies have to get very close to see you
Cursed weapon(18 int) = Buffs your non-magic damage weapon for +50% more damage at a cost to health
Warding = greatly reduces physical damage taken
Water Veil = Reduce fire damage
Poison/death cloud = Useful against tough enemies by reducing their ability to heal while slowly sapping their health.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Can't summon blue phantoms to areas which you have killed the boss and you already killed Phalanx.

If you know someone else playing the game with a similar soul level there is a method to dupe items, once they beat Doran they could dupe you the armor and the sword. The sword is nice (if you have pure white character tendency) and the armor is decent statwise but so very fugly.[/QUOTE]

I didn't beat the 1-4 guy, do you think I could summon someone there and then we could walk all the way back to 1-1 and try their key on the door? I know I can get the key in NG+ but I'm just really curious.

[quote name='jh6269']I didn't beat the 1-4 guy, do you think I could summon someone there and then we could walk all the way back to 1-1 and try their key on the door? I know I can get the key in NG+ but I'm just really curious.[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure the blue phantom can't interact with anything in the host world (they can't pick up items or hurt NPCs, etc.) Also I'm pretty sure a fog gate forms behind you at the start of the level to prevent you from going backwards (though that might just be when a black phantom invades).
What's your soul level? Maybe I have a character close enough to you to drop you the items.

[quote name='guardian_owl']I'm pretty sure the blue phantom can't interact with anything in the host world (they can't pick up items or hurt NPCs, etc.) Also I'm pretty sure a fog gate forms behind you at the start of the level to prevent you from going backwards (though that might just be when a black phantom invades).
What's your soul level? Maybe I have a character close enough to you to drop you the items.[/QUOTE]

I think I'm around 85 to 89... But I don't think you can drop keys b/c I checked that out already.
Oh well, I'm sure if it were possible, the FAQ would have mentioned it.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Even if you don't plan to use any offensive magic, it's probably a good idea to get at least 10/16 faith and/or 10 magic to get access to some useful buff miracles/spells which don't depend on pumping the magic stat to do damage.
Miracle
Evacuate = to return to the nexus
Second Chance (16 faith+15 Int) = Survive a mortal blow and refills half your health once per cast.
Anti-magic field (16 faith) = Prevents non-bosses from casting magic, VERY handy for the tower of Latria.
Magic
Cloak = Enemies have to get very close to see you
Cursed weapon(18 int) = Buffs your non-magic damage weapon for +50% more damage at a cost to health
Warding = greatly reduces physical damage taken
Water Veil = Reduce fire damage
Poison/death cloud = Useful against tough enemies by reducing their ability to heal while slowly sapping their health.[/QUOTE]

At the last two playthroughs (NG++/+++) on my way to the platinum, I played around with magic and miracles with dex build (mainly melee/bow use). These (for me) seemed to be the most useful:

magic:
warding (against the one shot non-boss enemies and main bosses when casting time wasn't a factor)
poison cloud (cheap boss kills)
water veil (for blue dragon final fight)

miracles:
evacuate (when farming stuff)
soul sucker (farming BP skeletons/pure bladestones)

The rest of the abilities I used was from equipping special weapons or rings. So there wasn't much use in using magic/miracles at that point.

Ok, I'm at Old King Allant and I think I'm screwed. I did all of the assassination quests and killed all of my NPCs. I took Death Cloud (since that's what it said in the walkthrough), and it doesn't work at all (I guess the patch 1.03 made Death Cloud ineffective). So, now i have to kill Allant melee. I've tried lots of combinations of weapons and stuff, and nothing really helps. So, was I supposed to take Poison cloud and not death cloud? Is there any other weapon I can use to make it easier?

Ya, one of the later patches made death cloud ineffective against most of the bosses.

Warding will make the fight a lot easier. Or do what I do, start with second chance, then cast Warding if he breaks it (as Warding casts must faster than SC). The timing between his lunge strikes are about perfectly long enough that if you munch on grass or spices he will hit you just before you have the ability to roll so get some distance on him before you attempt to refill with grass.

I find a shield which blocks 100% physical like the steel / purple flame / brushwood shield is quite handy as a safety net. Use the shield to protect yourself from the long range wind slashes, then strafe or roll to avoid his attack with shield raised so that if you mistime the roll you protect yourself from the majority of the damage, and if you avoid the attack you have the stamina to get in a few quick blows then roll away.

If you have the ability to play online you can play in soul form until you kill the fat ministers on the narrow walkway, then use a Stone of EE to get your body back and look for blue soul signs the rest of the way up to the throne room.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Ya, one of the later patches made death cloud ineffective against most of the bosses.

Warding will make the fight a lot easier. Or do what I do, start with second chance, then cast Warding if he breaks it (as Warding casts must faster than SC). The timing between his lunge strikes are about perfectly long enough that if you munch on grass or spices he will hit you just before you have the ability to roll so get some distance on him before you attempt to refill with grass.

I find a shield which blocks 100% physical like the steel / purple flame / brushwood shield is quite handy as a safety net. Use the shield to protect yourself from the long range wind slashes, then strafe or roll to avoid his attack with shield raised so that if you mistime the roll you protect yourself from the majority of the damage, and if you avoid the attack you have the stamina to get in a few quick blows then roll away.

If you have the ability to play online you can play in soul form until you kill the fat ministers on the narrow walkway, then use a Stone of EE to get your body back and look for blue soul signs the rest of the way up to the throne room.[/QUOTE]

Well, I think I'm pretty much SOL b/c I only have God's Wrath, Death Cloud, Evacuate, Soul Ray and Flame (similar to soul ray). I killed all of the NPCs so I can't switch my magic anymore.

So, how do I do the blue eyed stone? I was able to throw it down in soul form, I guess that allow others to get into my game. So if I go into body form and go into another person's game, and we beat Allant, will he be dead in my game too?

I'm not quite clear on it. Anyway, I threw down my blue stone and waited for a long time and nobody came to help.

I'm around level 102 now, so if there's anyone that has poison cloud and is willing to spare the time to help me, please add me to your friend's list and send me a PM (to coordinate). I'll probably be on later tonight.

I don't think I'm able to kill him melee, he's just too fast for me, and my character isn't very strong (I did the assassin's build thing). I got him down to about 25% of health and just couldn't do it again.

My PSN ID is jh6269.

Couldn't you delete the patches and play offline long enough to kill him?
I'm not very experienced with how online works in this game, but I know that strategy works with other games (like leveling up quickly in RDR).

[quote name='mguiddy']Couldn't you delete the patches and play offline long enough to kill him?
I'm not very experienced with how online works in this game, but I know that strategy works with other games (like leveling up quickly in RDR).[/QUOTE]

I don't know how to delete the patches. I went to the game data utility and Demon's Souls is not there. I was thinking the same thing.

[quote name='jh6269']Well, I think I'm pretty much SOL b/c I only have God's Wrath, Death Cloud, Evacuate, Soul Ray and Flame (similar to soul ray). I killed all of the NPCs so I can't switch my magic anymore.

So, how do I do the blue eyed stone? I was able to throw it down in soul form, I guess that allow others to get into my game. So if I go into body form and go into another person's game, and we beat Allant, will he be dead in my game too?

I'm not quite clear on it. Anyway, I threw down my blue stone and waited for a long time and nobody came to help.

I'm around level 102 now, so if there's anyone that has poison cloud and is willing to spare the time to help me, please add me to your friend's list and send me a PM (to coordinate). I'll probably be on later tonight.

I don't think I'm able to kill him melee, he's just too fast for me, and my character isn't very strong (I did the assassin's build thing). I got him down to about 25% of health and just couldn't do it again.

My PSN ID is jh6269.[/QUOTE]

If you're in soul form, the blue stone will only allow you to go into someone else's game to assist as a blue phantom. When you're in body form, you'll have to summon a blue phantom by activating one of the blue soul marks you see on the ground (if you see one).

The problem you have with summoning help is that you're in one of the most likely worlds to be invaded (1-4), at your current soul level. guardian_owl gave you some good advice. Don't play the entire level prior to the boss in body form. Go most of the way in soul form and then switch to body form and pray that you find a blue sign somewhere close. You still might get invaded, but that'll help.

If you have the White Bow or (preferably) the Sticky Compound Long Bow +X (and the stats to deal a bit of damage with it), then grab about 200 heavy arrows and walk just inside the fog door (so not to alert the Old King to your presence). Do NOT use the Lava Bow or he'll notice more quickly that he's being hit with arrows and will move away faster. Stand there, manually aim, and just chip away at his health. At some point (trust me), he'll move away a bit so there's some guesswork involved with aiming the closer you get to killing him.

Yeah, that's a cheap ranged strategy, but that guy is a melee bitch. It only took getting soulsuckered twice for me to readily dismiss any notion of "honorably" killing that guy.

[quote name='jh6269']Well, I think I'm pretty much SOL b/c I only have God's Wrath, Death Cloud, Evacuate, Soul Ray and Flame (similar to soul ray). I killed all of the NPCs so I can't switch my magic anymore.

My PSN ID is jh6269.[/QUOTE]
When you drop a blue-eyed stone in soul form your marking appears in the game of every player who is a certain soul range, is in body form, and is connected to the internet. The person in body form can look at the blue-eyed stone sign and then summon you in soul form to help them.

Conversely, when you are in body form and connected to the internet as you travel through the level you can look for other players who have dropped their blue-eyed stone. Touch them and you summon them to your world to assist you. It's explained pretty well in this video by Atlus, eye-stone bit starts at 2:10.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14_OICVhKIQ
I've got a mage character I'm running through the game with currently, what's your SL and perhaps I can enter your game to assist you?

After months of playing I finally got my Platinum this afternoon(without cheating). So far this is the only PS3 game that I ever wanted to bother with the whole trophy thing.

[quote name='guardian_owl']
I've got a mage character I'm running through the game with currently, what's your SL and perhaps I can enter your game to assist you?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your help, I may need it later... I was able to use the technique that SteelSD mentioned.

[quote name='SteelSD']If you're in soul form, the blue stone will only allow you to go into someone else's game to assist as a blue phantom. When you're in body form, you'll have to summon a blue phantom by activating one of the blue soul marks you see on the ground (if you see one).

The problem you have with summoning help is that you're in one of the most likely worlds to be invaded (1-4), at your current soul level. guardian_owl gave you some good advice. Don't play the entire level prior to the boss in body form. Go most of the way in soul form and then switch to body form and pray that you find a blue sign somewhere close. You still might get invaded, but that'll help.

If you have the White Bow or (preferably) the Sticky Compound Long Bow +X (and the stats to deal a bit of damage with it), then grab about 200 heavy arrows and walk just inside the fog door (so not to alert the Old King to your presence). Do NOT use the Lava Bow or he'll notice more quickly that he's being hit with arrows and will move away faster. Stand there, manually aim, and just chip away at his health. At some point (trust me), he'll move away a bit so there's some guesswork involved with aiming the closer you get to killing him.

Yeah, that's a cheap ranged strategy, but that guy is a melee bitch. It only took getting soulsuckered twice for me to readily dismiss any notion of "honorably" killing that guy.[/QUOTE]

Oh man, you're a lifesaver, thanks for the help. I have the Sticky Compound Long Bow +5, and I was able to do exactly what you said. He did move back a bit, and I didn't even need to adjust my aim, and was able to kill him in no-time.

I don't think it's cheap at all--if you're an assassin, you have to use any technique at your disposal to kill your adversary.

I wore the ring of Avarice when I killed Old King Allant, and I ended up with almost 150,000 souls after defeating him. I was on pins and needles trying to get to Phalanx so I could use the souls to level up my character.

Anyway, thanks everyone for all your help. What a freaking awesome game--it's so rewarding when you're able to get past these kinds of situations.

According to the Wiki:
Wanderer A lightly equipped soldier that continues an aimless journey. They have especially high dexterity and are skilled at using a curved sword. They also have high luck, but because their initial equipment is shabby, they are weak to attacks.

There's a more detailed page with the Pros and Cons.

Guess it's a bit late now, but for anyone else reading this:

I had a mage character, but Old King was a bit too fast typically to hit with soul ray or any of my normal spells, so I had to melee him (which I wasn't great at, since I typically used magic for everything). I found that using a spear (mine was a +5 moon spear, I think) made it pretty easy, due to the huge range on the thrusts. Just wait for him to charge, dodge, R2 thrust, and start over. Not too bad at all.

Basically all the character classes are is starting packets. As you prepare to enter the game God tells you "Here are 10 backpacks filled with different starting equipment and slightly different skill allocations, pick one please. Umbassa." Unlike in other RPGs, picking a class doesn't lock you into a certain style of play. A Thief can become a Great Sword wielding tank just as efficiently as a Knight or a Barbarian

Here is the link to the various classes skill allocations and each class page describes the starting equipment.
http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/classes

If you wanted to wield straight swords (usually swung horizontally or stabbing), axes, and hammers; a character class focused on strength at the start will give you a leg-up at the start.
If you wanted to wield Asian-style swords like katanas (which swing a bit quicker and typically diagonal slashes), bows, or want to go for backstabs with a dagger; a class more focused on dexterity at start will give you a leg-up at the start.
If you are more a fan of polearms like staff weapons and spears; a character class pretty evenly split between STR and Dex at the start might be more up your alley.
If you intend to be a mage; a character class focused on magic and intelligence will give you a leg-up at the start
If you intend to be a holy man and make Faith based miracles and weapons your primary attack; a character class focused on faith will give you a leg-up at the start.
Then are are a few character classes which are mixtures of various playstyles for those who want to be a jack of all trades.

Basically it boils down to which class do you want to use to clear the first level, because after that the world is opened up and you have easy access to a vast array of different weapons and equipment to change to a new build type if you wish.

If you intended to wield a blueblood sword (crafted from the Valley of Defilement's final boss's soul) as your primary weapon a wander would be a decent choice for its high luck as that sword is the only one in the game which its damage is affected by luck. A higher starting luck will also mean enemies will drop items and stones (used for weapon crafting) more frequently which can be helpful in the beginning when you have to ration healing items due to lack of souls.

[quote name='jh6269']According to the Wiki:
Wanderer A lightly equipped soldier that continues an aimless journey. They have especially high dexterity and are skilled at using a curved sword. They also have high luck, but because their initial equipment is shabby, they are weak to attacks.

There's a more detailed page with the Pros and Cons.[/QUOTE]

ill check out that wiki then . damn this game is cheap but not hard. ive been on the first damn level for 2 hours now its very hard to get the pary timing right against the bigger knights and one in particular is very cheap and takes pretty much all my health with one hit.

Yeah, the game is not cheap.
If you are fighting the red eyed knight with the spear, you are not supposed to fight him until much later in the game. It is possible to beat him early in the game with fire magic.

If you stick with it, and learn from your mistakes, you will eventually be able to breeze through 1-1 naked with bare fists.;)

[quote name='Ace_Defective']Yeah, the game is not cheap.
If you are fighting the red eyed knight with the spear, you are not supposed to fight him until much later in the game. It is possible to beat him early in the game with fire magic.

If you stick with it, and learn from your mistakes, you will eventually be able to breeze through 1-1 naked with bare fists.;)[/QUOTE]

i thought so but i came close to beating him the other day even parried him once and atacked but the bastard survived it. oh well since i know i can come back later ill do that and save myself a broken controller. btw in that same level theres an area with
a hole in he ground and some kind of swirly blue stuff in it whats the deal with that?

[quote name='lokizz']i thought so but i came close to beating him the other day even parried him once and atacked but the bastard survived it. oh well since i know i can come back later ill do that and save myself a broken controller. btw in that same level theres an area with
a hole in he ground and some kind of swirly blue stuff in it whats the deal with that?
[/QUOTE]

Also, dodging is generally much easier/better than parrying. Just dodge and counter. Regarding your spoiler, don't go in there - it's a trap.

[quote name='Backlash']Also, dodging is generally much easier/better than parrying. Just dodge and counter. Regarding your spoiler, don't go in there - it's a trap.[/QUOTE]

im good with dodging and parrying the lesser enemies its those big bastards that throw me off. its a good game though more challenging than alot of the games ive played.

bread's done
Back