Destiny Discussion Thread - Fear The Moon Wizards on September 9th

Status
Not open for further replies.
LinkinPrime said:
Wolves public events/bounties are fun. Wish I would have read up on these mystery chests before I started...LOL. They're a mess to find, even with the guides. Out of 3 PE I found one chest with nothing good really. So these special keys show up on chests? If so, what do you do they open?
It is really easy to find them at Skywatch. And if you leave the area and come back (which is easy to do there as well) you can open then 2-4 times per event. THAT is the way to farm for keys.

The keys will open a special chest at the end of the level 32/34/35 Prison of Elders that has a "Chance of rewarding Exotics, Legendary Queen Gear, Fallen Themed Cosmetics, Strange Coins, & Motes of Light". You will get a key from completing the PoE once per week. The extra keys allow you to complete it again the same week and open that special chest again. So it is a sort of workaround to the weekly reset. Though the main rewards (etheric light and armor and weapon cores) will still be limited to once per week for each difficulty level.

So, really, unless you plan on running the same level PoE multiple times in a week on the same character, the extra keys are not all that useful. I'm definitely seeing myself running the level 32 one multiple times the first week or two so the keys will be good for that. Of course once you start getting the new exotics and the Queen's gear and Fallen cosmetics (class items I guess?) then that chest will become less useful so there'd be no point in looking for extra keys. So I say use them up front if you got 'em.

The good news is that will free me up for multiple runs at the level 32 PoE. With the 3 keys I have right now I can run it 6 times this week - so I can do some with my regular Raid crew and Vendetta and his friends, and then some more with people from CAG.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crap I have to work till 10:00 pm tonight than go right back in at 5:00 am tomorrow morning. I will be getting home tomorrow right when HoW goes live but I will need to attempt to take some form of a nap since I will have the house to myself till about 7:00 pm. I should be good for Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday nights for all the weekly, nightfalls, and raiding possible.

Thanks io, lots of good info.  Also checked out the youtube video someone shared above, great as well.   Just got the Venus bounties left, so far 3 chests out of 5 tries.  Not too bad.  I'll try to see if I can get the doubles on Skywatch after I'm done with Venus.

Finished maxing out my marks last night, stacked some bounties and did my daily events.  Was lucky enough to find a Treasure Key while doing the public events so I didn't get shut out on that front. 

The video below shows the treasure room and the loot you get.  The Small Chests give garbage so no real reason to run this multiple times unless you have a Treasure Key.  The guys pulls an exotic (old), Queens Weapon and a class item.  Not a bad haul, but I wonder if this is what you will get every time, or maybe just a first time loot drop like they did with Crota.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G602WjVFReE

So this might be a stupid question, but with the new level cap being 34 will this up the diffculty of the Nightfalls and Weekly Strikes? Will they add another tier to the weekly and maybe have a level 30 and level 34 nightfall? Also have they said anything about adding matchmaking to the nightfalls yet?

So this might be a stupid question, but with the new level cap being 34 will this up the diffculty of the Nightfalls and Weekly Strikes? Will they add another tier to the weekly and maybe have a level 30 and level 34 nightfall? Also have they said anything about adding matchmaking to the nightfalls yet?
Yep. Most likely to 32 for nightfalls will be the new max. It was raised from 28 to 30 last time, so people with max levels could do it on week one, I imagine. If level 34, no one would stand a chance with burns etc, when only level 32 on week one. They said no matchmaking for Nightfall or Raids anytime soon (in so many words) last time they spoke about it :(.

Also, my Live account had been stuck on appearing offline. I THINK I finally got that worked out, so if you see me online, hit me up if you want to do anything. If you want to add me, my GT is my username. Can't wait to get home & buy new weapons & open all my packages & decrypt engrams! Finally something new to do after all these boring last 2 months!!

Well, glad I had a couple shards left over.  Maxed my Obsidian Mind and Suros Regime.  Now to get through some missions....working ATM so I'll be doing it little by little. 

Finally got a key...it was after completing the bounties and turning in with Petra, or the tour of the Reef, I forget which one gave it to me.

So, Vendetta and I and one of his friends went through the Nightfall, story, and level 28 Prison of Elders today. Then he had to get off so me and his friend did another Nightfall.

Both Vendetta and his friend got one of the new exotics (Vendetta got Hunter helm, his friend got the Hunter arms with a moving beetle on it - pretty weird). I got a legendary engram that turned into an exotic! Unfortunately it was Patience and Time. D'oh!

Then on the second Nightfall me and another guy got the same legendary weapon. I can't even remember what. Vendetta's friend got an Etheric Light. So he can be level 33 already the lucky bastard.

The Nightfall isn't too bad except that when you get near the end there is a walker with a lot of Fallen shooting Arc at you (and it is an Arc burn). We wiped there a couple of times on the second run. Fortunately the whole thing is pretty short and the boss is WAY easier to take down than Omnigul. You can run the Nightfall ASAP by the way - though it kind of sucks that the final story mission is to run that same strike again (normally - which is pretty easy).

We each got a key at some point during the story thing and Vendetta's friend got another one randomly as well. The level 28 PoE was pretty easy and when we got to the end we all opened the big chest (using a key). I think we each got an exotic and a legendary. Mine was, of course, Thunderlord, which I seem to get all the freaking time. I think Vendetta got an Icebreaker.

So I'm not sure if you get a key each week for your run and if you just get one or multiples for each level of difficulty. We were given them before we started it, so you don't get a key during the run. I don't think it matters if you open it on level 28/32/34/35. My feeling is that the big "exotic" chest is always the same sort of rewards which is why the keys are sort of hard to get. It is those little side chests that will have the good stuff for level 34/35. We only got motes and planetary mats (really, Bungie!?) for the side chests.

There are more places with public Wolves events now (with new bounties for the new spots) as well as some new bounties for groups of enemies in out-of-the-way places. You can get various Tokens from the wolves events that can be redeemed for class items, shaders, and ships with the new Fallen NPC. I got a class item one - but you have to rank up (by playing PoE) in his faction first before you can redeem them.

So far based on my limited experience, I'd say getting etheric light is going to be a slow process - so think carefully about what you want to upgrade. Of course it makes sense to go for armor first I think since you want to hit 34 ASAP to do the harder level PoE.

My older son stopped over to help me do the brakes on my car and afterwards he played some crucible. In about 10 matches he got rewarded with 4 new legendaries for me. Two scout rifles, a hand cannon, and a shotgun along with leveling up the new armor pieces I bought earlier today.

Is anyone going to be on in a little bit to run nightfall and maybe PoE?

You get one freebie key for story completion, and then only level 32 and up PoE gives you a key when you complete it.

But you can still get keys from ether key chests

Ran Nightfall and got kicked offline right as we took down the boss.  Finally logged back in and Etheric Light popped up as my reward.  33 here I come

Where do you turn in Crucible Commendations for rep?

ETA: Figured it out, you don't turn them in at a vendor, you just Use them straight from the inventory.

Nathan_Sama said:
You get one freebie key for story completion, and then only level 32 and up PoE gives you a key when you complete it.
But you can still get keys from ether key chests
You do not necessarily get a key from any PoE in my experience. I did both the 32 and 34 and did not get a key from either. I had to use the ones I farmed from the Wolves patrol chests. I do think maybe you get one key given to you by Variks per week though? I'm not sure - we'll have to see what happens next week. You are given one this week for sure but that may just be for completing the story the first time. Keys CAN drop from the smaller chests at each side of the big one on level 32 and up - but it is by no means a guarantee. In my level 32 and 34 completions none of the 3 of us got one.

And I have a friend who completed the level 35 and did not have a key on him - he didn't get to open the chest for that. Of course you get the standard rewards no matter what. So from 32 you get an armor core which you can currently exchange for max level gloves. From 34 you get a weapon core but the weapon Veriks has doesn't look all that great so I'm saving mine. You also get an etheric light from the level 34 which you can use to ascend any gear of course (armor or weapon). I have no idea what I am going to do with mine yet. I need to think about it with a clearer head tomorrow. I played this game way too much tonight. And unfortunately I have to farm for more keys since I went through mine much faster than I thought I would ;).

GLOCKGLOCK said:
Wait you need to use a key for the lvl 28 POE? I thought that was just matchmade and there was no treasure room at the end?
First of all, you are one lucky bastard to get an etheric light from the Nightfall. I was with someone who got one while I got a stupid legendary.

Yes, you do need a key there for the big chest. My best reward out of 4 chest openings (2 on 28, 1 on 32, 1 on 34) actually came out of the level 28 chest. I got an exotic and one of the new legendaries. I only got legendaries from the 32 and 34 chests. I don't think the key chest reward necessarily scales with the difficulty except for the level 35 which apparently gives you some unique stuff (emblem, shader, and ship). I know someone who beat the level 35 as a 33 and is now already a 34.

He just finished (as in at 5am Pacific) guiding me and Vendetta through the Level 34. We tried it earlier with another person who like us hadn't done it before and we got to the boss in Round 5 but it is a serious pain in the ass. It is much harder than anything in the Raids - though perhaps it is comparable to the very first day we did Crota and couldn't figure out how to put damage on him as level 30's.

Solar burn is on and he makes the floor burn you every 45 seconds or so. You have to hop/float around all the while being shot at by boomers, wizards, and ogres that are a level above you (assuming you go into it at 33 like we did). Oh yeah, and when you land there are plenty of cursed thralls to blow you up. We just barely finished it off by the skin of our teeth. Since the guy helping us was 34 he probably survived several times when a 33 wouldn't have. Plus we had 2 Warlocks for lots of self-reviving.

First of all, you are one lucky bastard to get an etheric light from the Nightfall. I was with someone who got one while I got a stupid legendary.

Yes, you do need a key there for the big chest. My best reward out of 4 chest openings (2 on 28, 1 on 32, 1 on 34) actually came out of the level 28 chest. I got an exotic and one of the new legendaries. I only got legendaries from the 32 and 34 chests. I don't think the key chest reward necessarily scales with the difficulty except for the level 35 which apparently gives you some unique stuff (emblem, shader, and ship). I know someone who beat the level 35 as a 33 and is now already a 34.

He just finished (as in at 5am Pacific) guiding me and Vendetta through the Level 34. We tried it earlier with another person who like us hadn't done it before and we got to the boss in Round 5 but it is a serious pain in the ass. It is much harder than anything in the Raids - though perhaps it is comparable to the very first day we did Crota and couldn't figure out how to put damage on him as level 30's.

Solar burn is on and he makes the floor burn you every 45 seconds or so. You have to hop/float around all the while being shot at by boomers, wizards, and ogres that are a level above you (assuming you go into it at 33 like we did). Oh yeah, and when you land there are plenty of cursed thralls to blow you up. We just barely finished it off by the skin of our teeth. Since the guy helping us was 34 he probably survived several times when a 33 wouldn't have. Plus we had 2 Warlocks for lots of self-reviving.
I was pretty happy with the etheric light drop on that run especially since I got disconnected right as we finished the strike. Ran NF again and another guy got an etheric light while I got a Dragon's Breathe and the 3rd guy got a Plan C. Will probably hold the EL for now since level 33 is achievable with the armor core from PoE. If they rotate the armor pieces each week you could have everyone at 34 in a couple weeks without having to use EL to upgrade armor.

That Level 34 PoE doesn't sound like much fun. Was that the same one they were running in the live reveal stream? With how bad those guys were I can only imagine how long it would have taken them to defeat that final boss if they would have made it there. I can't believe people already defeated the 35 PoE. What are they going to do now for the next 5 months until comet comes out?

Are you able to swap people in and out on prison of elders during a run? I know there are no checkpoints, but it would really suck if you got to the end boss and then someone drops and you are stuck a man down and not able to refill your fire team.

I am going to power through the rest of the story missions tonight and try to work through the rest of these engrams and care packages. Wouldn't mind trying out PoE tonight if anyone is interested.

I was pretty happy with the etheric light drop on that run especially since I got disconnected right as we finished the strike. Ran NF again and another guy got an etheric light while I got a Dragon's Breathe and the 3rd guy got a Plan C. Will probably hold the EL for now since level 33 is achievable with the armor core from PoE. If they rotate the armor pieces each week you could have everyone at 34 in a couple weeks without having to use EL to upgrade armor.

That Level 34 PoE doesn't sound like much fun. Was that the same one they were running in the live reveal stream? With how bad those guys were I can only imagine how long it would have taken them to defeat that final boss if they would have made it there. I can't believe people already defeated the 35 PoE. What are they going to do now for the next 5 months until comet comes out?

Are you able to swap people in and out on prison of elders during a run? I know there are no checkpoints, but it would really suck if you got to the end boss and then someone drops and you are stuck a man down and not able to refill your fire team.

I am going to power through the rest of the story missions tonight and try to work through the rest of these engrams and care packages. Wouldn't mind trying out PoE tonight if anyone is interested.
I'm down. Have 2 missions to beat on Warlock, then I'll have it unlocked. I need to do all the missions with my other 2 characters, too, but I'd like to do the 32, then I'll have the guantlets (which are strength, which sucks for my playstyle, AND... the warlock ones are so stupid looking. no shoulder armor at all except 3 little balls on the right arm. Figures with all the stupid half one sided skirts they keep giving the warlock. These armor designers need to be replaced, IMHO). I will be 33 then, so we can attempt the 34 one if we have another 33 or 34. If you find others, cool, but I'd like to do it if you haven't done it when I get on (around 630pm central, maybe).

I did Nightfalls first and had the WORST luck in a LONG time. I got Young Ahamkara's spine for Hunter, so I dismantled it & upgraded the one I had, and will never equip, to make it light level 42. I got 11 strange coins with my Titan, then a freakin' legendary engram with my Warlock. WTF??? I also cashed in 5 faction packages per character and didn't get a single weapon, shader, ship, or anything useful. So let down so far, I see people with all the new exotics & nice weapons & I get crap. One guy got DC'd, then joined us back at the Wolf Spider Tank thing, and he has like 1/10th of our kills, and he gets Etheric Light. Imagine that.

Just ran the level 28 PoE and used my key from the HoW story arc on the chest and got the Truth and another legendary arc sniper. I than got a new arc machine gun on a random purple drop running the daily. I now have like 7-8 of the newer weapons in just over 6-7 hours of playing. Did they ever list how many new purples there are?

GLOCKGLOCK said:

100% you cannot have anyone drop in and out. On our initial run Vendetta tried to leave to level up his new Hunter helm (he got one of the new exotics on our Nightfall) and he couldn't come back. We also thought maybe switching one of us out to be a Titan since that may make the end a little easier - having a bubble to jump in and out of might keep the ground from burning you. In the second run we beat it with two Warlocks and a Hunter though - mostly by jumping and running all over the arena (and getting Gjallarhorn shots on the boss whenever possible) so the enemies didn't gang up on one end or the other. That seems to be the way to do it.

And my friend had someone get disconnected and he couldn't come back either. Fortunately the game has been very stable - I haven't seen any disconnects during all 4 of my PoE runs.

On the reveal stream they were stuck on Round 4 which consists of Hive with Arc burn (which as you know is a pain with the boomers and wizards firing arc at you). That round gave us a little trouble both times but we managed to beat it after several wipes. But the first time we were all level 33's while those guys in the stream were 34 and I think had all maxed out weapons (while for us only our exotics were maxed). The second time we had 2 33's and a 34 and were extremely tired from having played the game all day and it being 4-5 am. And yet we still mopped the floor with Deej and co. ;). Yeah, they would have had NO chance on the boss wave.

And while the level 34 PoE was a huge pain, it was a great feeling finally to beat it - much like my first Atheon and Crota clears. The ground-scorch mechanic at the end definitely had a raid-like feeling to it.

Nobody wants to post in the new thread I made :cry:

Impressions & a few facts I've been reading up on:

-You absolutely are not guaranteed a key minus beating the story the first time with a character.  You can however have a chance to get one from the small chests next to the big chest.  I'm going to have to go back to grinding for keys again.  Will probably transfer my Titan one over to my Hunter for level 35 Arena so she can hit 34. 

-You can get a minimum of 2 Etheric Light per character per week (beating 34 and 35 Arena respectively)

-This new exotic Hunter helm that I got is going to be a very nice PvE helm for when I don't want to Bladedance.  Just like with Crota, I got the new Exotic Helm almost immediately. :D   It isn't a PvP one by any means.  Only getting 1 shot is not practical.  Symbiote will be better for that.

-I got 5 exotics yesterday....

Thunderlord

Suros :bomb:

No Land Beyond :bomb:

Heart of Praxic Fire :bomb:

and of course....

Celestrial Nighthawk :D

-I really enjoyed the story mode.  It was quite fun and much better than Crota was.

-I'm totally digging the Arena.  A very nice change of pace from a raid.  So far no real cheese methods and I prefer that.

-CP's carried over (I have deathsingers on both Normal & Hard as well as Gorgon chest).  I had a guy I know through a mutual friend argue with me about that.... I'm gonna have fun telling him he was wrong. (I don't like the kid one bit, so I won't be nice ;) )

-I think us sword bearers should be able to kill Crota on HM in 2 swords now :D

-io, close this thread so we can post in my new one ;)

I was doing the 32 with a guy from Lfg and he got booted. You CAN join but they have to join when the other two wipe and the skull shows up on the screen.

I'm down. Have 2 missions to beat on Warlock, then I'll have it unlocked. I need to do all the missions with my other 2 characters, too, but I'd like to do the 32, then I'll have the guantlets (which are strength, which sucks for my playstyle, AND... the warlock ones are so stupid looking. no shoulder armor at all except 3 little balls on the right arm. Figures with all the stupid half one sided skirts they keep giving the warlock. These armor designers need to be replaced, IMHO). I will be 33 then, so we can attempt the 34 one if we have another 33 or 34. If you find others, cool, but I'd like to do it if you haven't done it when I get on (around 630pm central, maybe).
Simo and I were speed running story missions last night and wanted to try it out but everyone else was already in a group or working on story stuff. I'll hit you up tonight when I get on and maybe we can run try a run or two.

100% you cannot have anyone drop in and out. On our initial run Vendetta tried to leave to level up his new Hunter helm (he got one of the new exotics on our Nightfall) and he couldn't come back. We also thought maybe switching one of us out to be a Titan since that may make the end a little easier - having a bubble to jump in and out of might keep the ground from burning you. In the second run we beat it with two Warlocks and a Hunter though - mostly by jumping and running all over the arena (and getting Gjallarhorn shots on the boss whenever possible) so the enemies didn't gang up on one end or the other. That seems to be the way to do it.

And my friend had someone get disconnected and he couldn't come back either. Fortunately the game has been very stable - I haven't seen any disconnects during all 4 of my PoE runs.

On the reveal stream they were stuck on Round 4 which consists of Hive with Arc burn (which as you know is a pain with the boomers and wizards firing arc at you). That round gave us a little trouble both times but we managed to beat it after several wipes. But the first time we were all level 33's while those guys in the stream were 34 and I think had all maxed out weapons (while for us only our exotics were maxed). The second time we had 2 33's and a 34 and were extremely tired from having played the game all day and it being 4-5 am. And yet we still mopped the floor with Deej and co. ;). Yeah, they would have had NO chance on the boss wave.

And while the level 34 PoE was a huge pain, it was a great feeling finally to beat it - much like my first Atheon and Crota clears. The ground-scorch mechanic at the end definitely had a raid-like feeling to it.
I can understand no checkpoints, but it will really suck if you cannot rejoin a group if you drop or have to go the tower for something.

Nobody wants to post in the new thread I made :cry:

-io, close this thread so we can post in my new one ;)
I remember you posted about it a few weeks back but never saw it until now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back