Destiny Discussion Thread - Fear The Moon Wizards on September 9th

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was live already when I was playing yesterday. Of course the first trash mob I shot dropped a purple primary weapon engram, and of course it decrypted into a blue. :p

ETA: Just caught this on Penny Arcade. Perfect. :lol:

i-9qnnGn6-1050x10000.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Any tips anyone can give me on the crucible multiplayer would be greatly appreciated. Coming from Titanfall this game is hard to get used to.

cancerman1120 said:
Tried my best to solo the weekly tonight. Got to the final boss but he is such a bullet sponge I would run out of ammo before I could beat him. That was a waste of over an hour. Good news is I have 13 strange coins after getting one in the Crucible. bad news is that I got another exotic bounty and it requires me to spend 1 coin to advance. Hopefully I get another before Friday so I can do both.
I want to do one also.

As for the Exotic bounties, I got another choice last night and I ended up having to do the same one I did before (for the machine gun) because the other 2 both had Crucible things in them (I'm hoping either to get the other MG and in any case I can give it to my second character). Why do they have to do that!? I think the Crucible should be completely optional. I have NO interest in doing anything there but it means I can't do the exotic bounties. I guess I can still get the other weapons from random (though very rare) drops/prizes or eventually buy them.

Any tips anyone can give me on the crucible multiplayer would be greatly appreciated. Coming from Titanfall this game is hard to get used to.
I agree I was frustrated the first week of release on MP. I almost vowed to never touch it again lol. I suggest playing Control since the group tends to play the objective. The 3v3 relic hunter game you're lucky if you can find 2 others who want to work together and not stray off and play TDM. Once comfortable with Control start doing the bountys for Crucible. I usually do the easy ones like 15 sniper headshots or 5 post mortem kills.

I think the only advice I have is be aware that gun attributes do matter in Crucible. Damage output is equalized but things like stability, range, reload, impact are dependent on the gun you have. Also your Intellect, Strength, and Discipline do matter for your cooldowns. I try to use my gear that has the most intellect when playing PVP because it allows me to use my Golden Guns more often in a match which if I play it right are 3 insta-kills. I also think your Armor, Recovery and Agility stats apply in the Crucible. So I am not a fast player even though the Hunter is meant to be that way so I set my attributes heavier towards Armor and Recovery.

I love that the heroic missions now give engrams. Makes it much easier for me to pop on for 30 mins, do the heroic, do a public event, and go back to other game I was playing.

Especially when I have three other games to go play. Although I do need to farm materials at some point.

I love that the heroic missions now give engrams. Makes it much easier for me to pop on for 30 mins, do the heroic, do a public event, and go back to other game I was playing.

Especially when I have three other games to go play. Although I do need to farm materials at some point.
I really wish they allowed you to exchange materials. I have over 200 Spinmetal pieces but I need Helium Fragments right now.

For the achievement for capping Vanguard marks, is it okay to spend them as you go or do you have to have all 100 in hand at once?

For the achievement for capping Vanguard marks, is it okay to spend them as you go or do you have to have all 100 in hand at once?
It's fine to spend! As long as you fill out that circle in the strikes playlist you are good. An easy way to knock this out would be to run around doing public events (you can usually get at least 16-20 on average/hour this way)

New Patch is live. Suck it Cryptarch.
Hah. One of the first activities I did right after downloading the patch actually popped a legendary (dropped from a level 2 Dreg or something) and sure enough, it actually stayed that way (ended up being a Scout rifle which I'm trying out now - taking a break from my legendary pulse rifle).

Then the Cryptarch upgraded and I got 4 engrams: 3 blue, 1 purple. The purple ended up being ascendant energy - oh well... (I need coins and shards if it is not going to be a weapon).

I am trying to get to level 2 at least in the Queen's ranking. How long does that go on for? I'm getting much more return now with the shader and title thing equipped. I'm getting 181 for the 100 bounties and as of last night I was 3/4 the way to level 2. I had the Fallen Walker one and only got credit for ONE after 5 walker events in 4 different places (Earth strike, Earth patrol, Moon patrol, Venus patrol). And I know for sure on one I didn't get credit I made the final shot. That thing is just glitched. Then, later, I did 2 more and got the last 2 no problem and I'm pretty sure I didn't get the kills those times.

I'm still looking to do a strike with CAGcast clan members. So anyone who sees me on keep in mind I'm looking to do that. I also want to do the Heroic strike stuff, and anything else that requires a fireteam for that matter. I got invited by a couple of randoms yesterday but they pretty much just wanted to BS and do their own bounties (which didn't match mine) so it wasn't too productive. We did another Queen's mission and I got my 4th set of Queen's plate. Whoopee...

So I did not realize Xur sold exotic engrams for 23 motes of light.  I have 26 right not so I guess I know what I am buying this weekend.  With the new patch it should be a guaranteed exotic right?  I could have 3 exotics before the weekend is over.

Hah. One of the first activities I did right after downloading the patch actually popped a legendary (dropped from a level 2 Dreg or something) and sure enough, it actually stayed that way (ended up being a Scout rifle which I'm trying out now - taking a break from my legendary pulse rifle).

Then the Cryptarch upgraded and I got 4 engrams: 3 blue, 1 purple. The purple ended up being ascendant energy - oh well... (I need coins and shards if it is not going to be a weapon).

I am trying to get to level 2 at least in the Queen's ranking. How long does that go on for? I'm getting much more return now with the shader and title thing equipped. I'm getting 181 for the 100 bounties and as of last night I was 3/4 the way to level 2. I had the Fallen Walker one and only got credit for ONE after 5 walker events in 4 different places (Earth strike, Earth patrol, Moon patrol, Venus patrol). And I know for sure on one I didn't get credit I made the final shot. That thing is just glitched. Then, later, I did 2 more and got the last 2 no problem and I'm pretty sure I didn't get the kills those times.

I'm still looking to do a strike with CAGcast clan members. So anyone who sees me on keep in mind I'm looking to do that. I also want to do the Heroic strike stuff, and anything else that requires a fireteam for that matter. I got invited by a couple of randoms yesterday but they pretty much just wanted to BS and do their own bounties (which didn't match mine) so it wasn't too productive. We did another Queen's mission and I got my 4th set of Queen's plate. Whoopee...
Queens Wrath will go on until 10/6, not sure if that means it ends early AM like everything else.

So I did not realize Xur sold exotic engrams for 23 motes of light. I have 26 right not so I guess I know what I am buying this weekend. With the new patch it should be a guaranteed exotic right? I could have 3 exotics before the weekend is over.
Remember you can only use one exotic for a weapon and one for armor. Kinda of a waste, should have let us use as many as we want.

Remember you can only use one exotic for a weapon and one for armor. Kinda of a waste, should have let us use as many as we want.
Yeah I am going to start rerolling the other classes anyway so some of the armor is class specific (Already have Legendary chest and boots for the Warlock) and I figure I may end up with an exotic I cannot use with my Hunter anyway. I also think we should be able to use the exotics however we want. It is not like they are really just giving those away.

Yeah I am going to start rerolling the other classes anyway so some of the armor is class specific (Already have Legendary chest and boots for the Warlock) and I figure I may end up with an exotic I cannot use with my Hunter anyway. I also think we should be able to use the exotics however we want. It is not like they are really just giving those away.
they pretty much are handing them out considering how readily available they are from xur and bounties :/

So I did not realize Xur sold exotic engrams for 23 motes of light. I have 26 right not so I guess I know what I am buying this weekend. With the new patch it should be a guaranteed exotic right? I could have 3 exotics before the weekend is over.
The exotic engrams have always lead to exotic items I'm pretty sure. I mean, I bought one last week and it ended up being an exotic helmet for my Titan. Had it been anything like legendary engrams I would have gotten a blue.

It's one thing when a randomly acquired engram comes up short, but it would have been an entirely different level of rage if you spent 23 motes of light on one and it ended up downgrading ;).

The only problem is that it might not be for your class. I was lucky to get a Titan helmet. But if you have characters of all 3 classes it will work out for you no matter what.

I'm using that helmet and an exotic machine gun. I never really used machine guns throughout the game but I'm kind of getting used to this one. It is great for the bosses and such, even though it often means standing out in the open in front of them. It makes early-level replays (for bounties) a breeze though. But if I ever end up with an exotic pulse rifle or maybe scout rifle I might switch to that.

I am keeping my armor options open as well which means for the most part I'm holding off on those last ascendant shard/energy upgrades. That is keeping me stuck at level 27 though.

Finally got all Legendary or better armor last night and reached 26.

Now all I need to do is replace my goddamn blue primary weapon. My legendary sniper rifle has pretty much replaced my primary weapon atm because it recharges ammo and can kill almost anything in 1-3 hits, lol.

I'm inching towards level 27.  I finally got up to vanguard level 2 and bought some legendary gauntlets, but they didn't put me over.  I need to do some serious ascendant shard farming. 

I'm with Fragalot.  I desperately need a legendary or exotic weapon. 

I thinking about copping this game today,any noob tips I could use when I create my character? And is there a way to level up quickly?
Ranking up to level 20 really isn't that difficult or time consuming, it's after 20 is the real challenge, your armor levels you up then

I thinking about copping this game today,any noob tips I could use when I create my character? And is there a way to level up quickly?
You should hit 20 before you finish the campaign missions! Then it's off to the strike playlist/dailies/weeklies - with the recent changes to drops this is the best time to start.

Just remember to grab bounties (they reset daily) to raise your rep. Also make sure you try to do a public event everyday for the free upgrade materials (you'll need a lot of these for your legendaries).

Do story missions until you unlock the option to complete bounties. Then try choosing bounties that line up with the missions you want to play.

In my case I focus mostly on PvE bounties that usually can be done on Earth, while choosing Patrol. I activate a Patrol mission in an area that a Public Event should happen ( see http://destinypublicevents.com/ for rough timing). Patrol stuff usually can be completed in the same area you're in.

I'm effectively stacking 3 gameplay modes at the same time, under the best circumstances: patrol exp, bounty exp & public event exp.

gotdott said:
You should hit 20 before you finish the campaign missions! Then it's off to the strike playlist/dailies/weeklies - with the recent changes to drops this is the best time to start.

Just remember to grab bounties (they reset daily) to raise your rep. Also make sure you try to do a public event everyday for the free upgrade materials (you'll need a lot of these for your legendaries).
Was good to finally play with some CAGs tonight. Got that clan strike mission achievement for one thing.

I still need to do the weekly and whatever else there is that requires multiples but can't be done with matchmaking.

Right in the middle of one of our end retries on the daily two of my kids burst into the room having an epic fight over computer usage. It was pretty distracting to say the least (especially when they argued right in front of the TV). Now you see why I had myself on mute most of the time ;). But actually, that might have happened on the run we finally beat it...

I really need to do the coin missions though. Those are the weeklies, right?

I'm just a hair under level 28. I mean I'm probably 1 light point away from it. I've been hesitant to level up my "regular" legendary gauntlets and boots in case something unique like the Queen's stuff comes along. I got an exotic helmet from Xur last weekend and I have that maxed out. Then I have the Queen's plate. I might as well max that out I guess.

I'nm also trying to push my Queen's rank up to level 3 for no other reason than to get that prism shader. I have no idea what it looks like but I figure it is pretty cool. I hit level 2 tonight and got the class mark. With that equipped along with the other two level 1 items I'm getting 199 per 100 point bounty. Unfortunately, I have no more to do until they reset at 2am. I also wish there was more variety. I'm getting pretty tired of the same story mission and strike she wants you to do and especially of the 200 fallen headshot one (which I think I've done 3 or 4 times now). I suppose what I like about the items she has is that you have to work for them and they aren't available via any random drop or even to buy with the various currencies (though of course you do buy them with glimmer once you unlock them).

Very good night for me solo.  Bought an exotic engram and ended up with a Titan Helm which sucked but eventually I will play the Titan (mostly for the achievement).  I then bought the Achlyophage Symbiote helm for my Gunslinger and I am liking the extra golden gun shot.  Cannot wait to try it in PVP.  I then finished one of my exotic bounties which got me the Super Good Advice machine gun. The thing is pretty awesome.  I cannot wait to get it upgrade to the perk that returns almost all missed shots  to the magazine.  The gunsmith finally was selling rare Fusion Rifles so now I only need 200 Fusion Rifle kill on Nightfall missions to get the Pocket Infinity.  And if that was not enough I got another exotic bounty for the Bad Juju pulse rifle but it is going to be a LONG haul to do all the requirements. 

Good games with io, gotdott and Simosaurus last night. That daily on very hard kicked our butt! But we made it through. I finally made it to level 27 though and got a legendary scout rifle finally. It was a productive night.

Now to put on my space overalls and do some farming. That and hitting public events for ascendant shards, I need a lot of those.

I'm lv 25 right now, can I get 2 other people to do the weekly nightfall strike with me? GT is Philthy Bird, send me a message on XBL if your down.

Feel a sense of accomplishment for getting thru my first Nightfall strike last night. Thanks, Chubby and Got. However, why did everyone else get legendary gear and I got materials I don't need! The Cryptarch was patched, but this game still likes to troll me. But, halfway to 28, so things aren't so bad.

Fun times. I'll be on Sunday night to take a last run at some Queen's missions.

Was good to finally play with some CAGs tonight. Got that clan strike mission achievement for one thing.

I still need to do the weekly and whatever else there is that requires multiples but can't be done with matchmaking.

Right in the middle of one of our end retries on the daily two of my kids burst into the room having an epic fight over computer usage. It was pretty distracting to say the least (especially when they argued right in front of the TV). Now you see why I had myself on mute most of the time ;). But actually, that might have happened on the run we finally beat it...

I really need to do the coin missions though. Those are the weeklies, right?

I'm just a hair under level 28. I mean I'm probably 1 light point away from it. I've been hesitant to level up my "regular" legendary gauntlets and boots in case something unique like the Queen's stuff comes along. I got an exotic helmet from Xur last weekend and I have that maxed out. Then I have the Queen's plate. I might as well max that out I guess.

I'nm also trying to push my Queen's rank up to level 3 for no other reason than to get that prism shader. I have no idea what it looks like but I figure it is pretty cool. I hit level 2 tonight and got the class mark. With that equipped along with the other two level 1 items I'm getting 199 per 100 point bounty. Unfortunately, I have no more to do until they reset at 2am. I also wish there was more variety. I'm getting pretty tired of the same story mission and strike she wants you to do and especially of the 200 fallen headshot one (which I think I've done 3 or 4 times now). I suppose what I like about the items she has is that you have to work for them and they aren't available via any random drop or even to buy with the various currencies (though of course you do buy them with glimmer once you unlock them).
Haha I was so tired I kept forgetting I was on mute - sorry about that. Usually around that time I have to speak very quietly because everyone is sleeping in the next room so I just mute myself... and then realize 10 minutes later.

And yes the weeklies give coins, make sure you buy extra ammo synthesis when you do it because the boss is a giant sponge.

Feel a sense of accomplishment for getting thru my first Nightfall strike last night. Thanks, Chubby and Got. However, why did everyone else get legendary gear and I got materials I don't need! The Cryptarch was patched, but this game still likes to troll me. But, halfway to 28, so things aren't so bad.

Fun times. I'll be on Sunday night to take a last run at some Queen's missions.
That Cryptarch can still troll when he wants to. I have only had one or two purple engrams and one of those was last night. He gave me energy.

[snip]

I'm still trying to figure why I show as group member and not Clan member... it says CAGcast.

Anyway, I'm about 300pts from Rank 2 for the Queen. I'll get the mark and maybe the scout rifle (though it's not better than my current scout). I don't know if it's worth trying for Rank 3 since it doesn't seem like there will be enough bounties available between now and the end of the event. Plus, I don't think the kill order missions count towards your rank.

And about those missions, I'm up to 5 Queen's Helm and 4 Queen's Chest armor (not including the few I had harvested...). I found one of each that gives nice perks to the scout and/or sniper rifles so I'll keep those and dismantle the rest. At this point, I don't see any reason to do them anymore.

Shame there wasn't a whole set you could complete

That Cryptarch can still troll when he wants to. I have only had one or two purple engrams and one of those was last night. He gave me energy.
Been there. Had a purple engram drop last night that turned into a mote of light AND I was already expecting another mote from my exp progress. Why couldn't he decode one of my many blues into a mote... sheesh!

rbarba4 said:
I'm still trying to figure why I show as group member and not Clan member... it says CAGcast.

Anyway, I'm about 300pts from Rank 2 for the Queen. I'll get the mark and maybe the scout rifle (though it's not better than my current scout). I don't know if it's worth trying for Rank 3 since it doesn't seem like there will be enough bounties available between now and the end of the event. Plus, I don't think the kill order missions count towards your rank.
Did you make sure you added it as an Xbox clan? It's like a third or fourth step you have to do that isn't obvious.

As for the Queen's rank: I'm more than halfway to level 3 so I might as well go for it. I seem to be able to do each bounty twice per day (and that counts for the regular ones too). It might have something to do with picking them up right when they turn over at 2am and then playing again the next evening. They seem to all be back again at that point - at least sometimes.

Kill missions don't count - I've stopped doing those long ago, even though there is a chance you can get an exotic item from them as well (I've seen others get it :bomb:).

Also, I finally cashed in my Vanguard marks for the last legendary I needed (a sniper rifle). Now I have every armor and weapon slot filled with a legendary or exotic and have not gotten the achievement. I noticed they can sometimes be glitchy though. I didn't get the one for wearing an exotic item until one time the server went down and I got booted - for whatever reason the achievement popped when I got returned to orbit from the boot, well after I had put the item on (which I had done in the Tower long before).

Did you make sure you added it as an Xbox clan? It's like a third or fourth step you have to do that isn't obvious.

As for the Queen's rank: I'm more than halfway to level 3 so I might as well go for it. I seem to be able to do each bounty twice per day (and that counts for the regular ones too). It might have something to do with picking them up right when they turn over at 2am and then playing again the next evening. They seem to all be back again at that point - at least sometimes.

Kill missions don't count - I've stopped doing those long ago, even though there is a chance you can get an exotic item from them as well (I've seen others get it :bomb:).

Also, I finally cashed in my Vanguard marks for the last legendary I needed (a sniper rifle). Now I have every armor and weapon slot filled with a legendary or exotic and have not gotten the achievement. I noticed they can sometimes be glitchy though. I didn't get the one for wearing an exotic item until one time the server went down and I got booted - for whatever reason the achievement popped when I got returned to orbit from the boot, well after I had put the item on (which I had done in the Tower long before).
I'm on the PS3, so chose PS clan (sorry, I was too cheap to re-up my Gold sub for just one game even though I prefer the 360 controller :) ). I post here and the other thread just to get as much info as I can :lol: .

Guess it wouldn't hurt to also choose the xbox clan ( I can see myself switching when I buy into the new gen.

Only kept trying on the Queen missions for the weapon... but never happened. Thought about filling all my slots with Queen stuff to maybe force the weapon drop, but I've got better ways to waste my time.

Well I hope that I don't regret it but I traded in my copy to BBY for $40 and bought the digital version so I can also have the Xbox One version for later on. I plan on buying the Xbox One this holiday so I figure that even though it ended up costing me more than doing it in the first place it would be cheaper now over buying a new Xbox One copy in 2 months.  I like the game enough to know I will play it for a good amount of time and I can keep a 2nd game in the disk tray for when I get bored.

Trying to get enough Crucible points to buy new armor so I can rank up to 26. Add me, I accept everyone on X1 dennisb407

Wow, those last few levels beyond 20 can really make a difference. I had started a new character (Warlock) and wanted to try to get some Queen's armor so I kept starting the Queen's mission until I got the "easy" one (Draksis - the second Earth story mission). I had no problem soloing that with my Titan, but I was probably level 24 when I did that.

At level 21 my Warlock couldn't even begin to make a dent there. I couldn't get past the shielded shanks and even get Draksis to come out. If anyone is on later this evening and wants to help me with that I'd appreciate it. I just want to get some of that armor before it is too late!

Well I hope that I don't regret it but I traded in my copy to BBY for $40 and bought the digital version so I can also have the Xbox One version for later on. I plan on buying the Xbox One this holiday so I figure that even though it ended up costing me more than doing it in the first place it would be cheaper now over buying a new Xbox One copy in 2 months. I like the game enough to know I will play it for a good amount of time and I can keep a 2nd game in the disk tray for when I get bored.
It makes sense for this game since there isn't an offline mode to it. And like you said, you've played it enough to know that you'll keep playing.

I want to do the same but don't know when I'll upgrade consoles and since I'd most likely go X1, I'll need to start from scratch since I'm currently on PS3.

Come on Bungie, you're tracking my entire profile (probably even guessing when I take a bathroom break too)... should be easy to make that populate into an xbox version of the game.

Wow, those last few levels beyond 20 can really make a difference. I had started a new character (Warlock) and wanted to try to get some Queen's armor so I kept starting the Queen's mission until I got the "easy" one (Draksis - the second Earth story mission). I had no problem soloing that with my Titan, but I was probably level 24 when I did that.

At level 21 my Warlock couldn't even begin to make a dent there. I couldn't get past the shielded shanks and even get Draksis to come out. If anyone is on later this evening and wants to help me with that I'd appreciate it. I just want to get some of that armor before it is too late!
Yeah, I was smashing my head against that wall last weekend. Tried when I was lvl 21 with my Titan, as a striker.

Can't say I like these invisible road blocks where you just get stuck until you find that next piece of gear. I was stuck at that time because I couldn't get any gauntlets with light. Once I got those, I started rolling again.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat with my level 22 Warlock; that's why I had you carry me through that mission last night. O:) However, I have him up to 23 now (almost at 24), so if I'm on tonight, we can both take a run at some of the remaining QW missions.

I was so excited about my first exotic weapon bounty series last night and thought it wasn't going to be so bad. Defeat so-an-so on the moon? Done. Kill 500 hive? Bah, barely broke a sweat. Then...kill 500 guardians in the crucible with void damage. WTF?

simosaurus said:
Yeah, I'm in the same boat with my level 22 Warlock; that's why I had you carry me through that mission last night. O:) However, I have him up to 23 now (almost at 24), so if I'm on tonight, we can both take a run at some of the remaining QW missions.

I was so excited about my first exotic weapon bounty series last night and thought it wasn't going to be so bad. Defeat so-an-so on the moon? Done. Kill 500 hive? Bah, barely broke a sweat. Then...kill 500 guardians in the crucible with void damage. WTF?
I can probably play here shortly.

As for the exotic bounties, I've actually gotten 4 so far on my main character. I abandoned the last 2 since all but one requires Crucible stuff. I did the one that doesn't twice (it gives you the machine gun). So now both of my chars have "Super Good Advice".

Last time I got them I googled the 3 options and they all required some ridiculous Crucible bounty. I think there's one where you have to get 10,000 points, and it is +5 for a kill and -2 for a death. Since I've never in my life played a competitive online shooter, I'd be lucky with a 1:1 KD ratio and would probably end up much worse and probably have a negative score. I'm decent vs. mobs, but people are a whole different thing ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back