Diablo III / Diablo II Battle.net Thread

I picked up the Battlechest back when SC2 was announced and it was $20. However, word to the wise, it doesn't work out of the box on Vista, there's some ish you have to do. Unfortunately, I failed to google this before returning it.

Honestly if anyone's going to play Diablo 1, I'd recommend just powering through it with a trainer. Then you'll get the feel of the game and still get the story and everything, without the hassles of slow movement.

[quote name='Moxio']Honestly if anyone's going to play Diablo 1, I'd recommend just powering through it with a trainer. Then you'll get the feel of the game and still get the story and everything, without the hassles of slow movement.[/quote]

Man, i haven't played D1 in like 9 years. That actually sounds like fun.

So since this thread has been rife with speculation since it was started, anyone want to take a guess at the upcoming classes??? I'm picking a ninja-type character or some middle eastern character, like a dervish or something.

Well I think the Witch Doctor will cover Druid/Necro and we know the Barb is in there. My guess is that we see an Amazon type charcter, maybe it will be called something like Ranger/Hunter and have a few new skills to make it seem newer. Then we have to have a Sorcerer/Wizard kind of class.

Outside that I think the last class will be another completely new type and iv got no guess as to what it would be.

You know what would be cool though if the archer class was indeed a Ranger and they made it a mix of a Paladin and the Amazon. He would be intended to be the "leader of the party" like the Paladin and have a number of Auras or spells that effected the whole party in various ways but at the same time the bow and passive skills of an Amazon. Id freaking LOVE that class.

Another cool idea for a new class would be a Bard assuming that they didnt make something like that Ranger. He could cover the role of party buffs like the Paladin of D2, but at the same time you could "weave" 2 or 3 songs together to get multiple effects. By weave I mean like when you change what song the bard plays the effects of the song you were playing still last for 5/6 seconds. This way you can rotate between up to 3 effects giving the party multiple stat boosts or the enemies multiple debuffs. Assuming there are still 3 skill trees one tree could be party boosters, one enemy debuffs and the third tree a mix of passives and songs that dont just debuff but damage(like a tornado that ravages the battle field as long as your singing the song).

Dont know about you guys but I think that would be pure own. If they did do a Bard like that id love for instead of there being a Ranger there to be a Hunter/Beastmaster thats a cross of the Druid(summoning animals)and Amazon(passives and bow attacks).

I'm kind of hoping they do something unique and different with the classes.

Having the Barbar is awesome, and I wouldn't mind the Witchdoctor replacing the Necro. Seems to fit the role so far: summoning, curses, indirect damage, etc.

I hope they bring the Paladin back, but put his auras into one tree so there's less passive skills.

And to add more speculation, I'm not done with that purple penguin. :p

blizzsecretrn1.jpg
linuxpenguinbg9.jpg

:lol:

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Where do you download from blizzard?[/quote]http://blizzard.com/store Just need to make an account and put your keys in.

Remember that the latest D2 patch removes the CD check. I spent three hours downloaded D2 only to recall the check removal after it finished. -_-

[quote name='mrelusive']http://blizzard.com/store Just need to make an account and put your keys in.

Remember that the latest D2 patch removes the CD check. I spent three hours downloaded D2 only to recall the check removal after it finished. -_-[/quote]

Sweet, and does anybody know which site is more reputable to buy cd-keys from?

[quote name='mrelusive']I'm kind of hoping they do something unique and different with the classes.

Having the Barbar is awesome, and I wouldn't mind the Witchdoctor replacing the Necro. Seems to fit the role so far: summoning, curses, indirect damage, etc.

I hope they bring the Paladin back, but put his auras into one tree so there's less passive skills.

And to add more speculation, I'm not done with that purple penguin. :p

blizzsecretrn1.jpg
linuxpenguinbg9.jpg

:lol:[/QUOTE]

See and im really not a fan of the Paladin AT ALL. Iv taken several up to lvl 99 and just was not a fan of them by any means any of the play throughs. They just didnt have enough AoE attacks, were weak as hell and Auras made you limited.

Meanwhile I LOVE passives ;)

I'm not really liking the Witch Doctor as a Necromancer/Druid replacement. Seems like he'll have similar abilities, but I like the character presentation of the Necromancer a lot better. The Witch Doctor just doesn't come off as cool to me.

I'm thinking that the Paladin will be most likely to be another returning class and possibly the Assassin. I think the Amazon is pretty much out of the running since they are allowing each class to be both genders. They'd have to change it into some type of other archer/ranger class, but there will probably be something similar. I'm also guessing there will probably be a mage class to replace the Sorceress.

[quote name='mrelusive']http://blizzard.com/store Just need to make an account and put your keys in.

Remember that the latest D2 patch removes the CD check. I spent three hours downloaded D2 only to recall the check removal after it finished. -_-[/QUOTE]

That's cool. I bought Diablo a while back, but my CD Drive is busted. so I could play it again now since I have the key?

Yes but for what it's worth, I had zero luck getting the downloaded versions to work on my Mac. I'm back to using the discs.

Warcraft 3 and Starcraft work fine off the download service on my Mac.

[quote name='Halo05']Yes but for what it's worth, I had zero luck getting the downloaded versions to work on my Mac. I'm back to using the discs.

Warcraft 3 and Starcraft work fine off the download service on my Mac.[/QUOTE]

Wamp Waaaa.

Thanks anyway.

[quote name='KillingMachine']I'm not really liking the Witch Doctor as a Necromancer/Druid replacement. Seems like he'll have similar abilities, but I like the character presentation of the Necromancer a lot better. The Witch Doctor just doesn't come off as cool to me.

I'm thinking that the Paladin will be most likely to be another returning class and possibly the Assassin. I think the Amazon is pretty much out of the running since they are allowing each class to be both genders. They'd have to change it into some type of other archer/ranger class, but there will probably be something similar. I'm also guessing there will probably be a mage class to replace the Sorceress.[/QUOTE]

Ill still pick the game up day 1 and be excited.....but if they remove an Amazon/Rogue type class it will put quite the damper on my joy. I really doubt though that there wont be a ranged weapons class.

Maybe they could do an Assasin/Amazon hybrid and call it a Theif. A stealth tree, trap tree and Range tree.

So I read that the D3 warrior is the D2 warrior, 20 years older and battle scared and angry. That's pretty cool.

If this came out on Linux I would have no reason to own a Windows box...

Also, anyone worried about Battle.Net 2.0 having an XBox Live Gold type of business model?

[quote name='Jest']Also, anyone worried about Battle.Net 2.0 having an XBox Live Gold type of business model?[/QUOTE]

Not really. They're not that stupid. No one would ever pay to play MP RTS skirmishes on PC, and they know that.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Not really. They're not that stupid. No one would ever pay to play MP RTS skirmishes on PC, and they know that.[/QUOTE]

We used to.

Before War2 was Battle.neted after Diablo, most people played on Kali for a fee.

[quote name='lordwow']We used to.

Before War2 was Battle.neted after Diablo, most people played on Kali for a fee.[/QUOTE]

Who's most people?

I knew a lot of people who played WC2, none of them played online before the Battle.net Edition. I had never even heard of Kali until now (other than as short-hand for Kalimdor).

[quote name='SpikeJonez']no reason to play d1 again.[/quote]

Sure there is. Catacombs has cool music. :)

Anyway, after watching the 20 min video on D3, it really looks quite awesome, but we all know the game is probably a good few years away. This is Blizzard, after all.

[quote name='Koggit']Who's most people?

I knew a lot of people who played WC2, none of them played online. I had never even heard of Kali until now (other than as short-hand for Kalimdor).[/QUOTE]

I meant most people who played online. There were several thousand who used Kali in the mid-90s for Warcraft 2. It was not a huge percentage of the players, but it was the only real way to play online before battle.net

Man, we used to call each other over the phone lines to play. Owdskoo.

Every game devolved into one of two things:

1) Someone picked up the phone - like your little sister - who you then screamed at for wasting the last 40 minutes of your life as you biult up your awesome army (which, btw, you could only do because both you and your friend were terrible at the game, and vowed to no rushing)

2) You built more mages and used Polymorph a lot faster than your friend could

Awesome.

[quote name='Dezuria']Sure there is. Catacombs has cool music. :)

Anyway, after watching the 20 min video on D3, it really looks quite awesome, but we all know the game is probably a good few years away. This is Blizzard, after all.[/QUOTE]

I always kinda liked the village music in D1...

[quote name='lordwow']I meant most people who played online. There were several thousand who used Kali in the mid-90s for Warcraft 2. It was not a huge percentage of the players, but it was the only real way to play online before battle.net[/QUOTE]

I'd still say his statement, that people aren't willing to pay for online RTS, is fair to make -- I wouldn't consider a small niche group precedent to the contrary.

Before War2 was Battle.neted after Diablo, most people played on Kali for a fee.[/QUOTE]

A one time fee. Of $20. Not exactly a subscription model.

Should have elaborated... I think they would to basic online for free, but maybe have tournaments, events, etc for subscribers only, kind of like how HG:L was doing it. Of course if they did anything at all that is.

I think the new Battle.Net will be "Steamier": better matchmaking...integration with Blizz's digital download service

[quote name='Serik']I think the new Battle.Net will be "Steamier": better matchmaking...integration with Blizz's digital download service[/QUOTE]

How is better matchmaking Steamier? Blizz already has the best matchmaking in the industry.

Downloadable games (the perfect platform for Lost Vikings 3, other than DS) would be awesome.

Beaky.jpg
blizzard_goody_bag.jpg

I knew I saw that bird somewhere else before.

Check this out from the Blizzard Entertainment Wiki Entry
In 1996, Blizzard acquired Condor Games, which had been working on the game Diablo for Blizzard at the time. Condor was renamed Blizzard North, and has since developed hit games Diablo, Diablo II, and its expansion pack Diablo II: Lord of Destruction. Blizzard North was located in San Mateo, California.

Never thought someone would mention Kali again. I was one of the originals back then when I was a kid. Paid to be on Kali just to play Warcraft 2 against the elites. Actually saw Scholonger in chat rooms back then before he became a Internet pimp and worked for Blizzard (and still does to this day, changed his name plenty of times apparently... like diddy.

so anyone booting up D2 again just for nostalgia sake? I started up a guy again for single player doing a skellimancer its a build I could never seem to get the hang of since it seemed if you didn't spend your points "just" right you ended up getting your rear handed to you on a plate :/.

[quote name='PhoenixT']so anyone booting up D2 again just for nostalgia sake? I started up a guy again for single player doing a skellimancer its a build I could never seem to get the hang of since it seemed if you didn't spend your points "just" right you ended up getting your rear handed to you on a plate :/.[/quote]

I just realized that I never finished the D2 Expansion...time to fire that bad boy up!

[quote name='PhoenixT']so anyone booting up D2 again just for nostalgia sake? I started up a guy again for single player doing a skellimancer its a build I could never seem to get the hang of since it seemed if you didn't spend your points "just" right you ended up getting your rear handed to you on a plate :/.[/QUOTE]

I started to and stopped. I figured it was a good idea to wait. Im wondering if D3 is going to be out earlier then people expect(late fall). Maybe im just dreaming, but the game looked pretty polished already and iv just got this feeling it will hit in the fall.

Besides though I think im starting to get carpal tunnel.....last thing I need is all that clicking!

[quote name='MSI Magus']I started to and stopped. I figured it was a good idea to wait. Im wondering if D3 is going to be out earlier then people expect(late fall). Maybe im just dreaming, but the game looked pretty polished already and iv just got this feeling it will hit in the fall.

Besides though I think im starting to get carpal tunnel.....last thing I need is all that clicking![/quote]

I had a similar feeling after see the game footage, maybe not this fall, but I can see this coming out next year no problem. The only thing they might be waiting for is to change up battle net, since they know they are going to get ridiculous traffic when it releases.

[quote name='Jest']Downloadable games (the perfect platform for Lost Vikings 3, other than DS) would be awesome.

Beaky.jpg
blizzard_goody_bag.jpg

I knew I saw that bird somewhere else before.

Check this out from the Blizzard Entertainment Wiki Entry[/quote]

Blizzard North is mostly Flagship people now.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I started to and stopped. I figured it was a good idea to wait. Im wondering if D3 is going to be out earlier then people expect(late fall). Maybe im just dreaming, but the game looked pretty polished already and iv just got this feeling it will hit in the fall.

Besides though I think im starting to get carpal tunnel.....last thing I need is all that clicking![/quote]

D3 will be a late 2010 title.
I thought Starcraft 2 looked polished last year, and thats not coming out this year.
WOTLK might be out this years end.
I think early next year will be better.

I thought something similar when I saw it as well. It looked like it had been in development with SC2 for some time. Though if blizzard does what they normally do it make take a while longer to balance the classes out before release. I"m curious how many of the old classes will return vs new ones. I'd kind of like the assasin and at least the necromancer to return from D2 those were my personal favorites.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Never thought someone would mention Kali again. I was one of the originals back then when I was a kid. Paid to be on Kali just to play Warcraft 2 against the elites. Actually saw Scholonger in chat rooms back then before he became a Internet pimp and worked for Blizzard (and still does to this day, changed his name plenty of times apparently... like diddy.[/QUOTE]

I played with scholonger once in a 3v3 (he was on my team). Unfortunately, I got rushed by the 3 enemies first. scholonger was almost able to save me (his army almost took out all 3 of theirs), but I ended up losing my town hall and losing. I would have liked to have chatted with him more, but I was seriously out in about 5 minutes.

I would honestly be suprised if it took till 2010 to see the game. At the same time even though I have a feeling we see D3 this fall id be suprised if that happaned too. Id say the more rational guess is Octoberish of 09.

anyone else get the feeling the witchdoctors going to be a bit like the necromancer with curses and possibly some of the more elemental elements of the druid class. I really can't think of anything else that would mesh with the look except for weather changes and hexes/curses.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I would honestly be suprised if it took till 2010 to see the game. At the same time even though I have a feeling we see D3 this fall id be suprised if that happaned too. Id say the more rational guess is Octoberish of 09.[/quote]

I dunno, with the Lich King coming in December and Starcraft allegedly before that, I feel we'll all have to wait until next year :cry:

I hope they hold beta testing soon, though. I was lucky enough to beta D2 when they were testing battlenet stability. You could only play the Barbarian and only play as far as Blood Raven, but it was still fun. I was shocked to see folks who played that small bit so much they made it to level 20+.

[quote name='PhoenixT']anyone else get the feeling the witchdoctors going to be a bit like the necromancer with curses and possibly some of the more elemental elements of the druid class. I really can't think of anything else that would mesh with the look except for weather changes and hexes/curses.[/QUOTE]

I think there is a decent chance of it. One thing none of us have really discussed though that could make a HUGE difference is how many skill trees there are. If they keep it at 3 it limits things quite a bit, however if they up it to 4 or 5 trees(which they very well may)it could mean so many more ways to play a class and so many more blending of the classes.

With just 3 skill sets it would limit a class to realistically no more then 2 or in some casses 3 types of skills(you dont want to loose a passive branch for a class like Amazon/Barb). So for instance the Witch Doctor could only realistically be a blend of 2 classes. However if there were 4/5 trees they could easily make him a blend of the Druid/Necro and still have a tree or two worth of completely new ideas.

I"m not so sure on that they had a difficult time balancing three trees in WoW. I"m not so sure they could manage to balance out more than 3 in diablo 3 personally. Mind you it would be a good test ground to check out a new skill allocation method or add more trees but still I have my doubts they could do more than three trees really.

[quote name='PhoenixT']I"m not so sure on that they had a difficult time balancing three trees in WoW. I"m not so sure they could manage to balance out more than 3 in diablo 3 personally. Mind you it would be a good test ground to check out a new skill allocation method or add more trees but still I have my doubts they could do more than three trees really.[/QUOTE]

I think Blizzard while making great core games are just morons when it comes to balance and its crazy they spend so much time working on it. I mean I played I dont know how many mods that had more then 3 skill trees and yet the balance was fine. THey also freaking are constantly tweeking skills that dont need it.

If you can play the game and its not buggy, and if one skill or class does not just absolutely dominate over all or is just so weak that you cant play the game...who cares? Honestly I would rather them spend time creating more skills, items, classes and enemies to kill then fretting over if everything is perfectly fair and balanced.

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']I dunno, with the Lich King coming in December and Starcraft allegedly before that, I feel we'll all have to wait until next year :cry:

I hope they hold beta testing soon, though. I was lucky enough to beta D2 when they were testing battlenet stability. You could only play the Barbarian and only play as far as Blood Raven, but it was still fun. I was shocked to see folks who played that small bit so much they made it to level 20+.[/quote]

Starcraft is not coming out this year.

bread's done
Back