Diablo III / Diablo II Battle.net Thread

[quote name='bvharris']Weren't they boosting drops in the next patch? Why would they nerf them now? Or are they just nerfing drops for goblins and chests I wonder..[/QUOTE]

iirc they are boosting/guarantee rare drops for bosses w/5 stacks so there's a reason to go and farm the boss as well.

[quote name='100xp']iirc they are boosting/guarantee rare drops for bosses w/5 stacks so there's a reason to go and farm the boss as well.[/QUOTE]

Actually, it's the other way around. Bosses now guarantee two rares with five stacks, they're reducing that to one.

[quote name='bvharris']Actually, it's the other way around. Bosses now guarantee two rares with five stacks, they're reducing that to one.[/QUOTE]

right, that's what i meant.

Does anyone know of a good place for general build/gear/play strategies.

I am starting to have a challenging time soloing on my monk when there is parts where the game just throws a fuckton of enemies at once which means I get surrounded by like 15 enemies. Was wondering if anyone knew of sites that has strategies and tips.

Solo'd act 3 yesterday and got about 3/4 into act 4 before going off to farm with friends. Pretty sure I can take Diablo now, so I might finish it today. I'll post fun stuffs if/when I do.

is there ever a point where you have to... i dunno.. pay attention? to the game?
i'm still in norm so i'm sure things become slightly more difficult (ie i can't just agro everything and then turn around and kill it all) and then i know inferno will become everything one shots you, but the gameplay itself i would think stays the same. the butcher and belial fight were sort of interesting in that you could dodge stuff. the most interesting thing i've fought are the wasps in A2 because you could actually dodge their projectiles (not that you had to at this point but you could). are there more reflex/skill based monsters in future acts? you've got stuff like jailers and wallers but theres not really anything you can do about being jailed so its not like you can skillfully avoid it and wallers do a nice job of blocking the other monsters off from you..

Nightmare isn't much of a step up from Normal. Hell is a bit more of an upgrade and a bit more dangerous when considering Rare and Champion enemies since they now have three affixes and begin to get pretty dangerous if you're unlucky. The only other thing is if you're progressing really quickly without getting suitable upgrades, Hell can be a bit more of a challenge than some people make it out to be. However it's still nothing like Inferno.

Also, waller is different depending if it's on a rare mob or a champion group. Rare wallers will stick you in a U shaped wall, whereas champions will just throw a small _ wall that is only really dangerous in small areas as a ranged user or the rare occasion where they trap you on a desecration spot that you are unable to move off of.

And yeah, I wish difficulties changed up the AI/abilities on enemies rather than just ramping up the damage and health. I was pretty saddened about that as the overall strategy doesn't really change.

[quote name='crystalklear64']is there ever a point where you have to... i dunno.. pay attention? to the game?
i'm still in norm so i'm sure things become slightly more difficult (ie i can't just agro everything and then turn around and kill it all) and then i know inferno will become everything one shots you, but the gameplay itself i would think stays the same. the butcher and belial fight were sort of interesting in that you could dodge stuff. the most interesting thing i've fought are the wasps in A2 because you could actually dodge their projectiles (not that you had to at this point but you could). are there more reflex/skill based monsters in future acts? you've got stuff like jailers and wallers but theres not really anything you can do about being jailed so its not like you can skillfully avoid it and wallers do a nice job of blocking the other monsters off from you..[/QUOTE]

nightmare is where diablo 3 starts, normal is just an extended demo for most.

[quote name='crystalklear64']is there ever a point where you have to... i dunno.. pay attention? to the game?
i'm still in norm so i'm sure things become slightly more difficult (ie i can't just agro everything and then turn around and kill it all) and then i know inferno will become everything one shots you, but the gameplay itself i would think stays the same. the butcher and belial fight were sort of interesting in that you could dodge stuff. the most interesting thing i've fought are the wasps in A2 because you could actually dodge their projectiles (not that you had to at this point but you could). are there more reflex/skill based monsters in future acts? you've got stuff like jailers and wallers but theres not really anything you can do about being jailed so its not like you can skillfully avoid it and wallers do a nice job of blocking the other monsters off from you..[/QUOTE]

Arcane sentries and such give a little more of the wasp like dodging but if the gameplay is boring you in normal, it probably won't get much better.

[quote name='Draekon']I still hate myself for teaching my Jewelcrafter mine... :cry:[/QUOTE]

Yup. I barely have mine leveled, so the cost of not only doing that, but actually crafting the damn thing is kind of ridiculous. Much rather take the money and run.

The game starts at 60, just like I said a million times before. See you in inferno.

[quote name='100xp']@ crystalklear - if the game is boring, i'd suggest making only hardcore characters.[/QUOTE]
i am, level 24 monk atm. doing the opening quests of a3. absolutely everything has been:
i run ahead and crippling wave stuff. my two demon hunter buddies spam deeps. everything dies.

i don't play non-hardcore in any game where it is an option.

[quote name='Jodou']The game starts at 60, just like I said a million times before. See you in inferno.[/QUOTE]
will you?

I want you to reread this post when you encounter Arcane Frozen Jailer Invincible Minion mobs :)

[quote name='pROvIs']I want you to reread this post when you encounter Arcane Frozen Jailer Invincible Minion mobs :)[/QUOTE]
oh? fighting them takes reflex/skill?

[quote name='crystalklear64']oh? fighting them takes reflex/skill?[/QUOTE]

It takes skill to be able to play the game while you are wiping your tears away.

In all honesty joking aside. Diablo at least its first difficulties has never really been about reflex/skill. Its about grinding and loot. Some will argue that the hardest difficulties require skill and I think they do to an extent but its more strategy than reflex. How to best attack hordes, when to run, what stats/abilities are better for what, etc

I'm still getting killed on Act 1 of Inferno! I just beat
The Skeleton King Leoric
, but it was rough. I've played around a bit with a friend in Act 4 Inferno, but I get absolutely destroyed!

[quote name='pROvIs']Diablo at least its first difficulties has never really been about reflex/skill.[/QUOTE]
right. but this isn't diablo so i thought it'd be different like... everything else. i got past thinking of it as a diablo game and am treating it as its own game.

The game is at Inferno, and no where else. That's not saying the game is fantastic at Inferno, either, it just finally presents a reason to pursue further.

Friends and I beat Zoltan Kull last night. Prolly gonna do Belial and see how we survive in act 3 tonight (We should have done Belial last night since we had 5 stacks of Valor, but leading up to Kull we encountered a few stupid-hard packs and we were simply wiped out.)

Oh yeah, Inferno difficulty of course.

Why does it have to be such a fucking pain in the ass to link a Paypal account? You seriously cant use a pre-paid phone? Cant even fucking use Google Voice either. So dumb.

[quote name='crystalklear64']skype?[/QUOTE]

Nope, no VOIP allowed. So it HAS to be a cellphone that has an actual carrier.

Wish I had more time playing this game but with a full time job and a house to run, hardly get 1-2 hours play time a day anymore . Just reach nightmare for all 5 character types. I should have focused leveling up one class 1st huh then repeating normal 5 times.

[quote name='CAGkrazy']Wish I had more time playing this game but with a full time job and a house to run, hardly get 1-2 hours play time a day anymore . Just reach nightmare for all 5 character types. I should have focused leveling up one class 1st huh then repeating normal 5 times.[/QUOTE]

It's considerably easier to level alts when you can bankroll them with a higher-level character, yes.

[quote name='panzerfaust']5 characters to nightmare? Holy god I can't imagine a worse gaming experience. You have to get to Inferno, man.[/QUOTE]

Seriously. The game fucking blows on Normal and Nightmare, and even Hell is pretty lame.

what sort of mindset do you have to have to spend 175$ on an item? i cannot think of a situation where i could reason that to myself unless i literally had more money than i could think of what to spend it on.

[quote name='SEH']11k repair bill...at least Blizzard will be quadrupling that in the future.

:roll:[/QUOTE]

Yep, good to know that Blizzard is just going to make it far more appealing to recreate games whenever you get stupid-hard mobs, just as they are trying to reduce server load. Good job Blizz!

I might be the only one with this sentiment, but... D3 does not feel remotely close to the game I've been waiting for close to a decade to play. Yeah, I get it's a new game and a lot of things changed, but I'm struggling to find motivation to play this game beyond hell (as wiz). There was something about D2 that had me coming back, but this... I just don't know. Too many intangibles to pinpoint the reason...

I don't think many would disagree with you, option, it's just once you make it past 3 awful difficulties, you get one that's pretty okay. A nice gear grind with no monthly subscription.

It is a huge step down for Blizzard, but depending who you are, you may find the end game worth your time.

Anyone else doing chest runs, whats your MF gear at? I bumped mine up to 262% earlier but I've not gotten shit today. Seems odd. Back when I was at like 200% I was getting pretty good stuff on the reg.

[quote name='option.iv']I might be the only one with this sentiment, but... D3 does not feel remotely close to the game I've been waiting for close to a decade to play. Yeah, I get it's a new game and a lot of things changed, but I'm struggling to find motivation to play this game beyond hell (as wiz). There was something about D2 that had me coming back, but this... I just don't know. Too many intangibles to pinpoint the reason...[/QUOTE]

You're not alone. As someone who put literally 1000s of hours into D2 and LOD over the course of 7-8 years, I have come to the same conclusion. Blizzard made several key mistakes with this game. The major one being that they eliminated character customization essentially making gear the only way to differentiate your character and destroying replay value. By making the game 100% gear dependent, the auction houses become more important for your character to advance. I shouldn't have to kill the same boss 100x to get enough gold to buy an upgrade for my character. My level 60 Demon Hunter is in Act 4 Hell, and every item I use was bought from the gold AH. Now that the RMAH is open, people will start using that and Blizz will make a killing from their cut. Basically, it boils down to the fact that Blizzard's greed killed this series.

Luckily, Torchlight 2 (made by minds behind D2) is coming out in a month, and Borderlands 2 is also on the horizon. Or maybe I should quit complaining and go install D1, find a KSOH, GPOW, and stormshield and kill some demons.

[quote name='SEH']Anyone else doing chest runs, whats your MF gear at? I bumped mine up to 262% earlier but I've not gotten shit today. Seems odd. Back when I was at like 200% I was getting pretty good stuff on the reg.[/QUOTE]

Blizzard is nerfing chests, lowering drop rates and removing really easy to reach ones. They want people to fight mobs to get their gear. Switch to goblin farming. Road to Alcarnus and Ancient Path in Act 2 are my faves right now.

That, or jailer/butcher runs. Those are at least a bit more fun.

I found a nifty area in the Act3 Battlefield that if you lure an elite or champion mob to a certain catapult, they'll be stuck there while you take potshots at them. Once I whittle their health down, I switch to my MF gear, kill them, profit. It worked for my DH but a Wizard might pull it off. Hopefully, Blizz doesn't patch that nook.

[quote name='option.iv']I might be the only one with this sentiment, but... D3 does not feel remotely close to the game I've been waiting for close to a decade to play. Yeah, I get it's a new game and a lot of things changed, but I'm struggling to find motivation to play this game beyond hell (as wiz). There was something about D2 that had me coming back, but this... I just don't know. Too many intangibles to pinpoint the reason...[/QUOTE]

Nope your not. This game is to dependent on gear. I would rather they just updated the look of D2 and rereleased it. I might just get my WD to level 60 as I'm only 3 or 4 levels away and be done with it. I don't like having to build around gear to play the game. The only thing I hated about D2 was it had no respec. Once you mad the character and if it sucked you could not change it.

Beat Belial on Inferno. My friends play glass cannons and were having trouble taking him on, so I ended up doing it solo. We might try again tomorrow, or we might just move on to Act 3. We'll see how we handle rare mobs in that act.

Is it just me, or does Magic Find seem broken? I was running with around 60% MF for awhile, and my friend had 0%. We played together for a few nights, and he was finding 5 rares for every 1 I found. Granted all he found was crap rares, but then so were the few I was finding.

I'm almost lvl 60. I'm looking forward to being able to equip some decent gear finally. In the meantime I sold a really shitty item for $5. Go me!

I agree that the game is far too dependent upon gear. I was away for a week and forgot where I left off in nightmare and could not beat Belial with my monk. I was seriously pissed as I had walked through everything to that point, excluding lag out deaths. After proving my insanity by dying 4 times in a row I decided to check my gear. Armor and fist weapons at least 10 levels back and zero poison resistance.

Need to finish up my run through nightmare tonight...this is getting crazy with my crap drops. To have "fun" I started up a hardcore DH. I must say hardcore does make me take it a little slower.

I'm starting to not like this thread. All I'm hearing is "QQ" and complaints. Come on guys, how about we get back to being positive? Strategies, things like that! Not "I hate this game, but I'm still playing it." Don't be Debbie Downer!

[quote name='JasonTerminator']It's considerably easier to level alts when you can bankroll them with a higher-level character, yes.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I guess you are right. I had poor performance laptop so I just did normal runs 1st. Finally bought the new 2012 MBP non retina and I couldn't be much happier. From playing d3 with 15-25 FPS to 60-100+ FPS and finally running the game with high resolution.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jmbreci']I agree that the game is far too dependent upon gear.[/QUOTE]
It's overtuned right now for Inferno, but I honestly don't mind the challenge solo. What I do mind is when trying to play with friends and feeling like my character, in super expensive gear brings nothing to the table. My barb is completely decked out now: 11k armor, 900 AR, 80k HP, 14k DPS -- crazy good tank. Yet I STILL can't tank inferno elite/champ ponies or hold aggro for my DH/Wiz friends because of a combination of bad design and overtuning. Basically, I'm a 50 million gold worthless character.

I really view the new cow level as the benchmark for gear but there's something horribly wrong when a character made for tanking can't pull it off. So much for being balanced around the AH. Still trying to take down Diablo solo as well; best attempt was 25% phase 2. :\

Is it worth going AR for Inferno wizard or will you still be 1-2 shot regardless? I've always been about more Dmg to kill things faster. If i get stuck with a fast elite mob, im pretty much toast though. Don't want to try for AR if its not going to make a difference.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Is it worth going AR for Inferno wizard or will you still be 1-2 shot regardless? I've always been about more Dmg to kill things faster. If i get stuck with a fast elite mob, im pretty much toast though. Don't want to try for AR if its not going to make a difference.[/QUOTE]

You want enough for Force Armor to kick in properly. That's around 400 AR I believe. However on Diablo himself, it's nice to have a bit more for the times those damned fireballs or AoE fire stomps manage to hit you. Though on him it's more about focusing on upping Fire Resists than anything else. Though you also can't skimp on life/armor too much or else his melee attacks will have their way with you.

[quote name='Draekon']You want enough for Force Armor to kick in properly. That's around 400 AR I believe. However on Diablo himself, it's nice to have a bit more for the times those damned fireballs or AoE fire stomps manage to hit you. Though on him it's more about focusing on upping Fire Resists than anything else. Though you also can't skimp on life/armor too much or else his melee attacks will have their way with you.[/QUOTE]

Ok, thanks. I think im only at about 260 or so now. ;)

bread's done
Back