Did anyone find Farcry 2....fun?

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!
Picked up Farcry 2 during the Best Buy deal a few weeks back. I know the reviews were mixed, and heard it talked about a lot on podcasts, but I still wanted to try it.

I liked both Farcry, and even Ubisoft's Farcry Instincts Predator...(and what I've played of my copy of Crysis, which seems awesome, and sounds like it from all the talk I've heard on podcasts...

But this... Okay, it's really ambitious. For starters, this really isn't a shooter at all. The engine is very strong (I'm playing the Xbox version, and it does have a sort of "checkergrid" over half of stuff, not sure if that's in the other two versions or not, but still, the engine is strong).

And...it's like 99% of Square Enix's games. I feel like I should like them, and there's clearly a TON of effort put into it-it's not like they spent 2 months on it and threw it out-no it clearly is years of hard work...

But it's not fun to me at all. Aside from the cool intro, and the music over the title screen, I'm not actually enjoying playing it. I find every moment, every disicion they made annoying and almost like it's intentionally trying to piss me off.

The random, pointless battles, generic objectives. Halo-style "for some reason you can only hold a few weapons". The lack of a HUD...I'm sure for "realism", but in reality it takes yo uout of the game as you have to have this stupid, magic map puled up 90% of the time, obscuring your view, etc. And this is more fun than a normal hud?

I killed myself accidentally, trying to figure out how to trigger the next event (that's another thing-I show up somewhere I'm supposed to be...and nothing's going on. Every time I have to hunt around, looking for something to trigger it). After killing myself, I have zero interest fighting my way back to where I was (that's another issue-crappy save system).

It's just weird...this was panned by some critics, but loved by others. I'd much rather have just a strong normal shooter, if they can't do anything actually FUN with their "open world". I liked Haze 10x better than this (at least) and it was panned by most everyone....

I don't know...I'm having my conflict of "I bought it, I ought to force myself to play it", and "but I'm not having fun!"

Hee...weeeeeell I guess. They look fine, there's a lot of foliage in it. Not sure they're any better than other competant looking games.

The most important question is...does it use SpeedTree?!? :D

I liked it a lot. I think the reason I did was because I'm not a big FPS player I wasn't annoyed at the way it differed from other curent-gen FPS games. I liked the open world and thought the gameplay was fun. Plus, it was jawdroppingly gorgeous.

That said, I gave up on it about 2/3rds of the way through if only because it really started to drag. I don't regret buying it though (I think I bit at $25 for the PS3) and would definitely play it again someday.

The game is excellent if you enjoy a game that is very lacking in holding your hand. Also refreshing to be in such open, outdoor environments. Respawning enemies keeps the game from becoming a wasteland of few encounters, like say, anything Bethesda makes post Morrowind.

I can relate to people disliking it if they can't stand games without a sense of direction. The trick with Far Cry 2 is to just immerse and go with it. Oh, and play it on a high difficulty. Else it's BORING AS HELL. You gotta fear those bastards out to kill you. Save System - to me, and a lot of people, it kills immersion to be able to save whenever you want. I love that they integrated the save system into gameplay. I will say that it wouldn't hurt if they gave the option to save more often, for people like you. Since I can understand if you gotta quit your game outta nowhere.

... lastly, open world game that is FIRST PERSON. Helps a lot if you dislike most third person stuff like myself. But hell, overall, I like S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl, A LOT as well. Lotta people seem to hate that one too =)

Oh, and Far Cry 2 being in AFRICA is a plus. Instead of the usual US, Europe, Middle East or Cubicle laden corridor HELL (I'm looking at you F.E.A.R! BLEH!)

I'm still looking forward to Stalker, but a bit worried due to the comparisons it's collected... :whistle2:/

[quote name='Aleryn']The game is excellent if you enjoy a game that is very lacking in holding your hand. Also refreshing to be in such open, outdoor environments. Respawning enemies keeps the game from becoming a wasteland of few encounters, like say, anything Bethesda makes post Morrowind.

I can relate to people disliking it if they can't stand games without a sense of direction. The trick with Far Cry 2 is to just immerse and go with it. Oh, and play it on a high difficulty. Else it's BORING AS HELL. You gotta fear those bastards out to kill you. Save System - to me, and a lot of people, it kills immersion to be able to save whenever you want. I love that they integrated the save system into gameplay. I will say that it wouldn't hurt if they gave the option to save more often, for people like you. Since I can understand if you gotta quit your game outta nowhere.

... lastly, open world game that is FIRST PERSON. Helps a lot if you dislike most third person stuff like myself. But hell, overall, I like S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl, A LOT as well. Lotta people seem to hate that one too =)

Oh, and Far Cry 2 being in AFRICA is a plus. Instead of the usual US, Europe, Middle East or Cubicle laden corridor HELL (I'm looking at you F.E.A.R! BLEH!)[/QUOTE]

Well said. This was one of the best games I played last year.

It was ok, i got kinda pissed when mine got glitched and didnt load anymore at 97% COMPLETED!!! Well i gave it another shot and it was kinda boring and basic compared to other games. Even though it had some downs to it, i still enjoyed it

I'm actually playing it at the moment. At first, I was really ticked off by a couple annoyances (respawning enemies, accelerating aim control, bullet sponge enemies, etc.) but it eventually grew on me only because of the graphical prowess and the sheer amount of freedom, which is almost overwhelming. This is the sort of game that you'll play once a week if you don't have the patience to bear with the shortcomings. Otherwise, it's a unique experience.

OH the driving! THE DRIVING! I nodded off so many times just trying to get somewhere! The save system sucks. If i need to get up and leave I need to be able to press start and fucking save. That doesnt effect immersion because immersion is gone once you realise you need to fucking get up and do real life stuff.

I understand why people don't like it but personally I had a blast playing FC2. One of the more underrated games IMO.

I got it for about 9.98 from Target and you know I wanted this game for a LONGGG time, and it hasn't disappointed me.

[quote name='Aleryn']
Oh, and Far Cry 2 being in AFRICA is a plus. Instead of the usual US, Europe, Middle East or Cubicle laden corridor HELL (I'm looking at you F.E.A.R! BLEH!)[/QUOTE]

LOL, yeah I abandoned FEAR after about the fifth bland, repetitive office level that looked just like all the others.

The thing about Far Cry 2 is that it has absolutely nothing to do with the other games in the series. I wonder if it started off as an original property about mercenaries in Africa, but at some point during development somebody thought it'd sell better if they slapped the Far Cry name on it.

No. I bought it for 4.98 on Target clearence for the sole purpose of flipping. I rented it right around the time it came out, and didn't find any fun in it whatsoever.

And I really liked Far Cry 1 on PC.

[quote name='lolwut?']No. I bought it for 4.98 on Target clearence for the sole purpose of flipping. I rented it right around the time it came out, and didn't find any fun in it whatsoever.

And I really liked Far Cry 1 on PC.[/QUOTE]

when you flip... and trade the game in... do you open the package, or do you just leave it sealed?

[quote name='Thomas96']when you flip... and trade the game in... do you open the package, or do you just leave it sealed?[/QUOTE]

Well GameStop wont take a sealed game..you have to open it...I dont know about other stores though

[quote name='Thomas96']when you flip... and trade the game in... do you open the package, or do you just leave it sealed?[/QUOTE]

I don't usually buy to flip. I bought it with the intention of playing it, put it back in, realized what a terrible mistake I had made, and traded it in to Amazon.

If I have the game sealed and I'm going to trade it in, I usually don't open it; there's no reason to.

I thought the atmosphere was great, and I played it to completion, but by the 4th hour the baffling design decisions you mentioned made me realize I'd never play it again after beating it.

Played it for a few hours, realized what the rest of the game was going to be like and never played it again. Animations are awesome though.

Ended up moving on to Bionic Commando, and happy I did :)

Takes a long time to get into BC, but it's gotten fun once I did.

I think it was a great game except for the re-spawning guards because it made the traveling (which really wasn't that bad in and of itself) so much more stressful than it needed to be.

paid $11.99 on amazon for mine and i'm not liking it very much.

this is my second FPS game i've ever owned right after COD: MW2. i guess i can't compare the two.

i don't like the aiming speed. like said above it seems to speed up.
and i don't feel like the accuracy of shots is all that good. call me crazy.

only played about 30 minutes so far so i guess i can't totally judge it.
but as of now, its not on my play list.

seriously debating trading it in.

fun for me, until enemy respawns killed the enjoyment.
having epic fights is great, but then having the enemy come right back is not
if this had been patched, I would have finished, but I couldn't go more than 2 hours

[quote name='selfacclaimed']paid $11.99 on amazon for mine and i'm not liking it very much.

this is my second FPS game i've ever owned right after COD: MW2. i guess i can't compare the two.

i don't like the aiming speed. like said above it seems to speed up.
and i don't feel like the accuracy of shots is all that good. call me crazy.

only played about 30 minutes so far so i guess i can't totally judge it.
but as of now, its not on my play list.

seriously debating trading it in.[/QUOTE]

Hmm...well, the good thing is if you've only played two FPS, you've got a lot of GREAT stuff to uncover! Call of Duty is decent, but pretty generic (though would seem awesome if that's all you've played...haven't played this newest one yet, but that's going by the previous 3...). Farcry 2 seems to be super 'love it or hate it'. I couldn't really make heads or tales of it. Sort of seems ambitious, but I HATED it, so sold it :whistle2:D

I hear you OP. However, I've come to realize that my problem really is with open-world type of games. I the completionist inside me wants to finish every possible quest, but usually with these kinds of games it takes such a long time and so much repetition that I get bored with the game and never finished. Lately this happenned with GTA IV, Red Faction Guerrilla and now with FarCry2. So I vowed my self that, no matter how much it may seem good, I'm not going to buy these kinds of games anymore. It will be for the best.

Hated it. It was the 3rd fastest I ever sent a game back to Gamefly this console generation, behind only Command & Conquer 3 and Godfather 1.

I loved it at the time. I think now if I played it I'd be like "STOP TRYING TO KILL ME EVERY TWO SECONDS WEHN I'M TRAVERSING THE OVERWORLD, EVERYONE."

I love that game. Absolutely not something you can just grind on for hours, but a real good slow burn game. Good to play over the course of months, not weeks. Like Assassin's Creed, or GTA for me.

when I read about the protagonist being infected with malaria and incorporated into gameplay, I said 'no thanks,' even at $14 or $12 (Target clearance price).

I got it last year on here, but ended up trading it (after enjoying it a bit) for a better deal. I really missed playing that game, so I got it again last week, and playing again really makes me see how much I love the game.

The entire country is just amazing. I think it might be a little too large, and it definitely does take a looong time to get from point A to point B, but I'd go so far as to say 95% of the map is varied enough to get to know after playing long enough. It feels like a real place, since it's not just "JUNGLE HERE DESERT HERE WATER HERE." The desert works as a wonderful border, since endless desert would be boring to journey across, and it works more as a way of avoiding roads and combat.

That's another great thing, combat... I agree with whoever called a lot of the enemies "bullet sponges" but you cannot just storm a guard post or any other area the enemy controls since you'll die. I love how you can use fire as more than just a weapon, but a diversion too. If an enemy is getting too close, and you need to reload, throw down a molotov cocktail and it'll buy you a few second.

My biggest complaint is the mission variety--er, lack of... It's hard to really throw in some far-fetched odd mission when the main goal was to ground it as much in reality as possible, but it doesn't detract enough for me to stop praising it. With the missions, it's honestly the first first person shooter that I prefer sniping, picking people off and then moving in. It's a rush to send a one man army in and reach the goal.

Plus, the map maker is awesome. Sure, it sucks nobody really plays multiplayer anymore, but the tools they give you to create the maps you can on a console is just wonderful. I am excited for Far Cry 3, but I most definitely cannot hate Far Cry 2.

Farcry 2's marketing tag line was 'Play it Your Way.'

Gamers' responses have been, 'no thanks.'

- another title published by Ubisoft; the poor decision making gaming company.

I gave up on this one. I was really pumped when I started, but the traveling is incredibly tedious and it's so damn easy to get yourself killed.

I actually bought it for the map maker, but at the time I had the game the online community was fairly sparse.

[quote name='Mospeada_21']Farcry 2's marketing tag line was 'Play it Your Way.'
Gamers' responses have been, 'no thanks.'
- another title published by Ubisoft; the poor decision making gaming company.[/QUOTE]

Hey there, can you grind your axe a little more softly? I can't hear myself think!

As for me, I absolutely love this game. I've played through it twice now, and I occasionally pop it in just for shits and giggles. That said, I can definitely understand why people don't like it... and there's certainly some things that annoy me quite a bit. The biggest thing is that fast-talking dialogue; "heythereboy, canyourunovertomotumbo and blowupthisgenerator?". I can also get rather frustrated by the rickety guns you come across way more than clean well-functioning guns. At first I was upset about that whole smattering of roadside guards you have to pass by on every damn mission but I eventually sort of came to like it. I've come to see them as part of the mission; the whole point isn't necessarily just to get to the waypoint and THEN deal with the bad guys, rather part of the mission is just getting there. Probably my favorite aspect of the game is just the way that firefights can unfold, I can't describe it very well, but there's something about how each different firefight can go about in many different ways that makes them feel exciting and unique.

bread's done
Back