Did anyone like Brutal Legend?

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!
Did anyone like Brutal Legend? I'm trying to play it right now. I really love the vibe (despite hating heavy metal). It's Tim Scheffer for crying out loud! Awesome from the opening right through until...you have to control those headbangers for the first time. Honestly I've played better RTS mechanics on the Gameboy Color.

I'm finding I wish I could just watch this as an animated movie-even with the in-game graphics that would be cool. I'm not liking the gameplay though.

Do I force myself to keep playing? This is one of those games I really want to like. :cry:

I will pick it up once it goes to the clearance bin. I loved the demo and think Jack Black is hilarious but there are too many games of higher caliber coming out for me to spend the money on Brutal Legend.

Me too. I sold mine off.

I loved the storyline, characterization, atmosphere, guest stars, songtrack, humor, and the "vibe" as you say. (I do love metal, especially 70s-80s metal, so that part is aimed right at me). The graphics were a little off, but I could deal with it. I liked a lot of the regular, single-character action, and many of the side missions. But yeah, the RTS was awful enough to make me quit playing. Admittedly I'm not a huge RTS fan, but I thought I could deal with it.

I would watch a Brutal Legend movie.

Cool. For some reason I feel less guilty about giving up a game that's got some stuff going for it if I have moral support :lol:

I guess I'll keep playing it tonight, but the "playing" part of it doesn't work for me. I'm excited to see what he does next though!

I had the very same problems. Great atmosphere, but as someone who is already not very interested in RTS games, I was really turned off by the gameplay. Even as a hack n' slash type of game it wasn't very enjoyable. As was said though, the story and other aspects make it worth grinding through. I sold mine not long after buying it, but I'll probably pick it up again at a lower price so I can complete it.

[quote name='dtcarson']I loved the storyline, characterization, atmosphere, guest stars, songtrack, humor, and the "vibe" as you say. (I do love metal, especially 70s-80s metal, so that part is aimed right at me). The graphics were a little off, but I could deal with it. I liked a lot of the regular, single-character action, and many of the side missions. But yeah, the RTS was awful enough to make me quit playing. Admittedly I'm not a huge RTS fan, but I thought I could deal with it.

I would watch a Brutal Legend movie.[/QUOTE]

Exactly this. I got it as part of a b2g1 free deal with batman and borderlands, so I don't feel too bad about it.

I absolutely loved it. It can be kind of hard at parts but I completely enjoyed it. I would actually love to see the game be made into an adult animated cartoon series. I'd watch it.

I liked the music in it. The regular gameplay was average. But like you the crappy RTS made me get rid of it. If the rest of the game wasnt so tedious the RTS might not be that bad but for me it just felt like forcing myself to play through those parts just to drive around listening to some metal and do the same mission over and over and over...

dtcarson is right on the money. A movie of this would be pretty good. Thats what I thought the whole while I was playing.

DANG it this game should have been a movie. I wonder if Tim Schaffer ever thought that?

I looked on an FAQ to figure out how much longer I have left, and was shocked that (by chapter at least) I'm basically half way done already. First thought was that I'd try to power through, and then I remembered I have more of those hideous "side mission" to do next up. Did someone think those were FUN?!?

Dang it. Playing the second stage battle I was thinking how I haven't enjoyed ANY of the actual gameplay in this game. All the fun I've had is 100% from the awesome writing/vibe/voice acting/graphics. I can't think of a single game like that before. I mean I've played stuff where I'm liking the story more than the gameplay, and of course tons vice versa, but never something like this.

It's original, I'll give it that... Wonder what it's theatrical success would have been. I bet Ebert would have scored it high (of course in it's current form he's bash it due to games not being art and not telling stories :roll: ).

[quote name='Wolfpup']Did anyone like Brutal Legend? I'm trying to play it right now. I really love the vibe (despite hating heavy metal). It's Tim Scheffer for crying out loud! Awesome from the opening right through until...you have to control those headbangers for the first time. Honestly I've played better RTS mechanics on the Gameboy Color.

I'm finding I wish I could just watch this as an animated movie-even with the in-game graphics that would be cool. I'm not liking the gameplay though.

Do I force myself to keep playing? This is one of those games I really want to like. :cry:[/QUOTE]Man, when I read this I thought to myself "I could have written this post"- this was EXACTLY my feeling when playing the game. I bought it Day One, because (despite the fact that I also don't like heavy metal) I'm a Tim Schafer zealot. This game was at the top of my most-wanted list from the very first time I heard of it, basically just because it's a Schafer game.

I got pretty far through the game, slogged through a number of RTS "stage battles", hating every single one of them a little more than the last. But then I got to one I couldn't get past. I tried it over and over, read FAQs on how to beat it, looked for videos on Youtube, nothing helped. I just suck at RTS, I guess. I beat my head against the wall trying to finish that game, because like you, I really wanted to like it. I loved everything else about the game, even the sidequests didn't bother me. Still, I finally decided I'd rather be having fun, so I put it aside for something else. I haven't gotten rid of it; maybe someday I'll go back and try to get through it again, but I kind of doubt it.

Here are my thoughts on Brutal Legend, in sequential order -

1) Wow, this is awesome! A live intro with Jack Black? Good humor? Some decent God of War gameplay? Sweet!

2) Oh, it's open world too! But this world seems pretty damn small... maybe it will expand more the more I play. (It barely does... I don't even know why they bothered to make it open world, to be honest).

3) These side quests are all the same thing, and wow do the racing ones suck because of extreme rubber band AI.

4) The same voice clips over and over and over and over are really getting on my nerves.

5) These stage battles are atrocious - I seriously just made a ton of headbangers and roadies, stormed the stage, and won in under 5 minutes every. single. time. And I was playing on Brutal, as well.

6) Oh, that twist in the story is pretty good, I can't wait to see what the game will do next... what, it's over??? Just when it actually picks up, it ends. I'm not kidding.

This game seemed VERY rushed, especially at the end.. if you aren't digging it right away, Wolfpup, just get rid of it because the quality goes straight into the toilet the more you play.

The humor of Tim Shaffer was there, but like most people here the RTS sections for me were annoying. I got about 3 hours in when i came across another RTS section that was just a pain in the ass to pull off. Something like that is made moreso a keyboard/mouse configuration.

It seemed like the game would have been better just if it was just you and Athelia running around saving the people, making friends, and meeting characters, but only so they could roam the land. Then for the last fight they sacrifice themselves in battle all trying to break the door to the last boss. Then Athelia gets tied up (still on your side), and the door closes once you get in. Its just a classic 1v1 boss battle to heavy meyal. idk

I've seen some mentions of people liking the demo.

The game is absolutely nothing like that. Even the writing and humor is toned down towards the later sections of the game, in my opinion, from what is present in the demo and the beginning of the game. I don't think it was a bad game, but I couldn't bring myself to play it for more than a few hours. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance, I dunno. Just didn't enjoy what I did play.

Found the gameplay pretty boring but I did like the writing and the characters. Some decent voice acting. Probably would have worked better for me as an animated film.

The demo is deceptive. The game wasn't good. I can't even count the number of times I got stuck behind a tree, or a fence or something and had to call my car (just so he'd jump forward to the otherside of said obsticle.

I beat it on Brutal and was sad. The game goes in too many directions. You only do the RTS stuff for a few missions, and you only do the hack and slash stuff for a few missions as well. The majority of the game is side missions and races. You don't really spend enough time doing any of the stuff (other than driving) to get a good feel for the games personality.

Yeah, the demo was deceptive, wasn't it? Tons of times I've thought a demo is really, REALLY terrible compared to the real game (Bionic Commando's "why the hell is this multiplayer" demo, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, Wolverine Uncaged, etc.). All those were "meh" for me, but I liked/loved the full games, but this was the opposite. The demo makes it seem like a relatively polished, structured, story driven game. Immediately after where it ends you're dumped into the pointless open world/sidemission/RTS stuff :whistle2:/

Those side missions...YUCK. It's one of those cases I just can't believe that passed play testing. I mean I didn't enjoy any of them ONCE, let alone every time I complete a boring story mission, I have to do 6 more even more boring, identical side missions.

The game is meh... Finished and return it (rental for me and i was surprised that i actually got it from GF within the 2nd week of its release).

Trophies are okay, but i don't see myself platinum this game, i don't want to play it again.

Oh, i did endured all of the side missions for trophies :( (feel like to cry now, because i swear they were a torture). I gave up on the Hunter one though. I don't understand the condition to unlock it. I gave the dude the porcupine, deer, over sized bull and that's still not enough :(

I havn't played htis yet- but I was given it as a gift for Christmas. It looked great to me- but this thread makes me nervous!

[quote name='Serpentor']Oh, i did endured all of the side missions for trophies :( (feel like to cry now, because i swear they were a torture). I gave up on the Hunter one though. I don't understand the condition to unlock it. I gave the dude the porcupine, deer, over sized bull and that's still not enough :([/QUOTE]

Everytime you kill one it is supposed to add to your overall count. You don't really have to go back to him to finish that mission, you return to him only to activate the next one. I think you go on from the Bull things to kill some of those the Laser Panthers, Horses, Flying Demon things, big wooden axe horses, and some mammoths.

I was working on a Platinum on this one, until I realized that the multiplayer was fundamentally broken and there was no way I would be able to do it. There were guys on PS3Trophies swapping wins for those trophies and it was still taking them around 8 hours. Also, there appears to be a glitch that reset your multiplayer stats randomly. Don't want it that bad.

[quote name='Fjordson']I've seen some mentions of people liking the demo.

The game is absolutely nothing like that. Even the writing and humor is toned down towards the later sections of the game, in my opinion, from what is present in the demo and the beginning of the game. I don't think it was a bad game, but I couldn't bring myself to play it for more than a few hours. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance, I dunno. Just didn't enjoy what I did play.[/QUOTE]
This is exactly how I felt about Psychonauts. The first 60-70% was really funny. The humor all but vanished in the later levels though, and the mindless collecting really wore down my resolve. I'm surprised I bothered to finish it, especially given the nightmare that was the last level.

I think I'll skip Brutal Legend for the same reasons.

I liked Psychonauts WAAAAAAAAAAAY better in terms of gameplay. It was probably annoying at the end, but man, no where near as bad as this :(

I remember some clever parts in there-like that area where you're basically a giant. I'd have had more fun had this just been a platformer again :(

I really wanted to like this game more than I did. Recently I've been playing Darksiders and have been wishing that Brutal Legend just embraced itself into something more like that game. Whatever Tim Schafer was trying to do just didn't feel right for me... and the game really showed off how broken it was on Brutal difficulty.

I wanted a fun open-world platformer with lots of humor and that's what the demo had promised me.

Loved it...pure fun!! which is why i was able to ignore the few glitches in the game play....Jack black was awesome!

bread's done
Back