Diddy Kong Racing vs. Phoenix Wright

redsox6391

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I have $30 in GC's to Amazon.com, so I placed a pre-order for Diddy Kong Racing DS. I then found a review for it on Gamespot, and they gave it a 6.7. Now, I am really second guessing my choice. Should I go with Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney instead? Here is my (lengthy) explanation:

I have found that I am in absolute love with Hotel Dusk. I don't want it to end! I was thinking, Phoenix Wright seems to have a lot in common with Hotel Dusk, the whole point-and-click thing. I did own Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney at one point, but I quickly sold it on eBay, just for a $20 profit. I traded Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time on here to utopianmachine (thanks!!) for Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, so I figured I might as well play the first one, well, first! Would this be the better idea? I already have Mario Kart DS, which should satisfy my DS racing needs for a while, at least until I can get Diddy Kong Racing DS.

I want your suggestions! Thanks!

How long does the game last? To compare, I am halfway through a game like Hotel Dusk at 8 hours. So if anyone can possibly figure out how long it would take me...

DKR over Phoenix, easy. Sure the removal of the Silver Coin challenges, change of voice and the carpet rides tick me off. But online play and one of my favorite games on the DS? Sold!

As for Phoenix, it's the same as a Japanese Dating game consisting entirely of murder cases. Entertaining but hardly any replay value.

I like ham but I also like grapes. What should I get!?!?!?

Phoenix Wright is several million times better then Diddy Kong Racing, one of the ten most overrated games of all time. While none of us here have played the DS version, a number of us can say buy Phoenix Wright and probably be correct.

I loved both Phoenix Wright games, both are worth playing, but Justice for All was better in my opinion.

I guess you should get the first Phoenix Wright game. With that said, no matter the reviews, I'm picking up Diddy Kong Racing DS.

[quote name='redsox6391']How long does the game last?[/quote]

10-12 hours. You'll speed through the first three cases.. Case 4 is an hour or two.. Case 5.. hoo boy. I got stuck on it for months.

Geez guys, biased much?

This is pretty clear cut...since you like PC-adventure games, Phoenix Wright makes more sense for you.

The N64 Diddy Kong Racing is IMO the best racer ever, but the DS version seems to be butchered at least somewhat.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Geez guys, biased much?[/QUOTE]

How is us saying Phoenix Wright over a game we've never played (at least on the DS) bias? Phoenix Wright is a good game that we've played, and I'm the only one here who expressed outright hatred towards Diddy Kong Racing. The original post wanted us to compare two totally different games, one of which none of us have played yet, and come to a decision.

Get Phoenix Wright
Spend 10 or so hours of the next few days of your life beating it
Sell it to me at a lower price
Buy Diddy Kong Racing with that money, some extra cash and a GGC!

btw scorch i have SF3 but no manual D:

Oh and furyk he said it was biased because 3/4 of the people had PW in the avatar or sig

[quote name='furyk']How is us saying Phoenix Wright over a game we've never played (at least on the DS) bias? Phoenix Wright is a good game that we've played, and I'm the only one here who expressed outright hatred towards Diddy Kong Racing. The original post wanted us to compare two totally different games, one of which none of us have played yet, and come to a decision.[/QUOTE]

Eh, just the general "mediocre racer versus bestestiest game ever!" vibe :D

I agree that the OP should get PW since she/he seems to like PC adventure games, but that's not the right choice for everyone (at least not if Diddy Kong Racing is within range of being as good as the original).

There are some people who feel that Diddy Kong Racing is a piece of shit though... like me. So it seems we have an internet style argument brewing sir. Have at you!

And weedy, the whole idea of saying everyone is being biased towards Phoenix Wright when someone asks a question of pure opinion seems like a stupid accusation to make. Bias is a totally loaded word especially when the original post is asking, what do you prefer and what should I get? The original post is asking for opinions, of course people will prefer one over the other. Bias implies that they have some external motive for prefering PW over DKR.

[quote name='furyk']There are some people who feel that Diddy Kong Racing is a piece of shit though... like me. So it seems we have an internet style argument brewing sir. Have at you!

And weedy, the whole idea of saying everyone is being biased towards Phoenix Wright when someone asks a question of pure opinion seems like a stupid accusation to make. Bias is a totally loaded word especially when the original post is asking, what do you prefer and what should I get? The original post is asking for opinions, of course people will prefer one over the other. Bias implies that they have some external motive for prefering PW over DKR.[/QUOTE]

I kind of agree... I can understand why people would like Diddy Kong Racing but to me it just never had the appeal that Mario Kart had. It had more depth I suppose but I dunno... can't really put my finger on it.

As far as Phoenix Wright, I didn't get the first game until recently because unfortunately all the reviews on the game underrated it. But after seeing the rabid fan base (a huge fan base can't be wrong can it?) I finally decided to check it out. Good thing I did because it was one of the coolest games I'd played in a long time! I couldn't stop playing it until it was done. Really, because of this game I am paying a lot more attention to user opinion on these forums than a lot of reviews... don't want to miss out on gems like this because reviewers give scores based on comparisons rather than entertainment value.

Are we talking the first Phoenix Wright or the second? I've heard nothing but great things about the first once, but I've heard the sequal is a let down.

[quote name='spmahn']Are we talking the first Phoenix Wright or the second? I've heard nothing but great things about the first once, but I've heard the sequal is a let down.[/QUOTE]

The only bad things I've heard about the second are just that it doesn't have a DS added mission like the first one did, and it's not as big of an impact, just because it's the second game. If you want more Phoenix Wright, it should be well worth getting.

[quote name='zatos']
As far as Phoenix Wright, I didn't get the first game until recently because unfortunately all the reviews on the game underrated it. But after seeing the rabid fan base (a huge fan base can't be wrong can it?) I finally decided to check it out. Good thing I did because it was one of the coolest games I'd played in a long time! I couldn't stop playing it until it was done. Really, because of this game I am paying a lot more attention to user opinion on these forums than a lot of reviews... don't want to miss out on gems like this because reviewers give scores based on comparisons rather than entertainment value.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what you mean. The first game got really great reviews.

[quote name='spmahn']Are we talking the first Phoenix Wright or the second? I've heard nothing but great things about the first once, but I've heard the sequal is a let down.[/QUOTE]

It's not a let-down. People get stupidly high expectations, then whine when they aren't met. They also get mad when they get a second helping of the thing that wowed them the first time, as it is impossible in the gaming world for this to happen and be considered worthwhile.

PW2 is pretty much superior to PW1 in all ways with the exception of PW1's special Case 5. I'm sure someone will say "But King Strell, the music is teh sux," which is subjective, and is something I can't wholly understand since half the music is in the sequel. So I don't really factor that in, though I know most people do.

There are some legitimate complaints that people seem to miss, but it's like they allude to them, thrashing about with no sense or rhyme. I can spell them out. For example, the characters in this one tend to be more annoying, primarily because a good number of them have "delay words" built into them (my own description). Like a character who laughs a lot, another who says "like totally really" valley bs, etc. This gets annoying when you are trying to get through their testimonies or get clues out of them. And if you ever have to replay a sequence, it just adds a little to the frustration.

This one is also measurably more difficult than the first, which I'm sure is off putting to some.

But beyond these things, it's great. They are both incredible games. I'd wager if you played 2 and then 1, you'd have the exact same "this is a disappointment" trip the people who played 1 are whining about.

I just don't have an easy time understanding when someone says "this is just like the first one!" and calls it bad. Wtf. That's the whole goddamn reason you picked up the sequel to begin with - YOU LIKED THE FIRST ONE.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I'm not sure what you mean. The first game got really great reviews.[/QUOTE]

Okay well obviously not the ones I saw. I saw ones giving it about 7/10... sure that's good but they didnt make it sound good enough at the time. And I think that's underrating it quite a bit.

[quote name='Wolfpup']This is pretty clear cut...since you like PC-adventure games, Phoenix Wright makes more sense for you.

The N64 Diddy Kong Racing is IMO the best racer ever, but the DS version seems to be butchered at least somewhat.[/quote]
Well said, though based on what I've read from impressions (of posters here and magazine/site previews) it does not necessarily sound like a butcher-job at all. They changed a few things, but as long as you go into the game expecting those changes to have taken place and give the game a fair shot given the changes, I'm not sure why it has to be a negative thing? I haven't really read much actually NEGATIVE about the changes...it's largely just been an acknowledgement of changes taking place, which people automatically assume the worst about, as the consummate skeptics we all are sometimes!

Either way, you nailed it: seems it all depends on which genre you're down with. If you're more a fan of MK-esque racers, DKR is probably right up your alley. It's right up mine, I loved the N64 game, and I can't wait to play the DS version online and explore the new changes (plus I'm not at all interested in playing a game like PW). If you're more a fan of games like PW, it seems as if the impressions of that one have been positive enough to justify that being your pick.

[quote name='Strell']It's not a let-down. People get stupidly high expectations, then whine when they aren't met. They also get mad when they get a second helping of the thing that wowed them the first time, as it is impossible in the gaming world for this to happen and be considered worthwhile.

PW2 is pretty much superior to PW1 in all ways with the exception of PW1's special Case 5. I'm sure someone will say "But King Strell, the music is teh sux," which is subjective, and is something I can't wholly understand since half the music is in the sequel. So I don't really factor that in, though I know most people do.

There are some legitimate complaints that people seem to miss, but it's like they allude to them, thrashing about with no sense or rhyme. I can spell them out. For example, the characters in this one tend to be more annoying, primarily because a good number of them have "delay words" built into them (my own description). Like a character who laughs a lot, another who says "like totally really" valley bs, etc. This gets annoying when you are trying to get through their testimonies or get clues out of them. And if you ever have to replay a sequence, it just adds a little to the frustration.

This one is also measurably more difficult than the first, which I'm sure is off putting to some.

But beyond these things, it's great. They are both incredible games. I'd wager if you played 2 and then 1, you'd have the exact same "this is a disappointment" trip the people who played 1 are whining about.

I just don't have an easy time understanding when someone says "this is just like the first one!" and calls it bad. Wtf. That's the whole goddamn reason you picked up the sequel to begin with - YOU LIKED THE FIRST ONE.[/QUOTE]

QFT

For those of you who really liked the N64 DKR, can I ask why? Or what about it really caught you? And, "I dunno, just like it." is a valid response, cause I'm like that with some games. ;)

I've always though that if Mario Kar 64 never exisited, that DKR would've been fantastic. DKR, after years of MK64 though, just felt sluggish and kinda generic. The same seems to hold true for DKR on the DS and its big brother in Mario Kart DS. To say nothing of DKR being a port and MK: DS being a new game with some classic tracks thrown in, DKR's sluggish framerate seems to rob it of all its speed (compare a video or two of MK: DS' 60fps and DKR: DS' 30+/-fps), something inhertly necessary in a racer ;)

Anyway, I'd never heard anyone really support DKR that much, let alone call it the best racing game ever, so I was just curious what those of you who like it and were posting here like about it.

As for Phoenix Wright 2 being a let down, I think the story telling in the sequel outdoes almost everything in the first one. The Psyche Lock features add a little suspence to everything and it's just a good time. If you liked 1, you'll like 2. Easy as that.

fuck, I am starting to second-guess myself again.

Sure, I know I would love Phoenix Wright, but I already have Hotel Dusk and am getting the second Phoenix Wright in the mail sometime soon. Maybe I should wait for the summer to get it, so that I can get a much longer lasting game? I don't know... I'm going to go watch some videos of DKR and see if that sways me.

Dammit! I decided to go back to DKR, but my order is "Shipping soon" so I can't change it back. Oh well, I am stuck with PW no matter what. I hate myself now.

Diddy kong racing was a pretty good game for the N64, i always though donkey kong would be a good character in mario kart though.

You'll want to play the first PW game before the second. It's not required, but some story elements will be lost on you if you haven't played the first.

[quote name='botticus']You'll want to play the first PW game before the second. It's not required, but some story elements will be lost on you if you haven't played the first.[/quote]I was just going to post this. Because where PW really shines is in its characters, knowing more background from the first game makes the second that much more enjoyable.

[quote name='redsox6391']Dammit! I decided to go back to DKR, but my order is "Shipping soon" so I can't change it back. Oh well, I am stuck with PW no matter what. I hate myself now.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry about it. Phoenix Wright is a great game to have. I wouldn't worry about getting all of these "similar" games at the same time either. Phoenix Wright is to Hotel Dusk as Super Mario 64 is to God of War. They're both adventure games but beyond that, their content is wildly different.

[quote name='furyk']I like ham but I also like grapes. What should I get!?!?!?

Phoenix Wright is several million times better then Diddy Kong Racing, one of the ten most overrated games of all time. While none of us here have played the DS version, a number of us can say buy Phoenix Wright and probably be correct.[/QUOTE]

I don't know, based on what I've been reading here for the last year or so, I'd call Phoenix Wright overrated a lot quicker than I would DKR. It's entertaining, but I don't think it's nearly as great as a lot of people claim.

OP, you'll probably be okay with either game. If you're "stuck" with PW at the moment, then just play that when it shows up. You're not going to feel like you wasted your money. Besides, I really doubt DKR is going to disappear from store shelves anytime soon--just get that later if you wish.

after HD, every other DS pales in comparison for me...

from what I've seen in video reviews, diddy kong racing seems to be content heavy... it's more like an adventure game with kart gameplay.

This should have been a poll, it would have been easier for OP to gauge overall opinion, although I'd assume it'd be Phoenix Wright by a landslide.

That having been said I'd go with Diddy Kong Racing myself. I've gotten completely bored with Phoenix Wright to the point that I don't even think I'm gonna bother finishing it. I really just get tired of the interrogations/questioning and the way you have to ask questions in a certain order and object at the exact right phrase even if the phrase before it is an applicable time to object. It really gets to the point where about half way through a case you can tell exactly what happened and trying to get all the information feels like a chore in order to finish up the case.

[quote name='daroga']For those of you who really liked the N64 DKR, can I ask why? Or what about it really caught you? And, "I dunno, just like it." is a valid response, cause I'm like that with some games. ;)[/quote]

It had amazing graphics, fairly simple and easy gameplay (at least for a lot of the game), and it had an actual single player game. Only racing game with gameplay I like and a true single player game.

I've always though that if Mario Kar 64 never exisited, that DKR would've been fantastic. DKR, after years of MK64 though, just felt sluggish and kinda generic. The same seems to hold true for DKR on the DS and its big brother in Mario Kart DS. To say nothing of DKR being a port and MK: DS being a new game with some classic tracks thrown in, DKR's sluggish framerate seems to rob it of all its speed (compare a video or two of MK: DS' 60fps and DKR: DS' 30+/-fps), something inhertly necessary in a racer ;)

I liked Mario Kart 1 okay for a rental, or occasionally with friends, but that's the last time I got much of anything out of one of them. I blew through the Gamecube one in about an hour and sold it. I blew through the DS one in maybe 2 hours and mailed it back to Gamefly.

They have virtually no gameplay there compared to Diddy Kong Racing, which I'm sure I spent at least a dozen or more hours on.

Anyway, I'd never heard anyone really support DKR that much, let alone call it the best racing game ever, so I was just curious what those of you who like it and were posting here like about it.

That's why. I've never played anything else that comes close to it. For what I want, Mario Kart is literally a joke in comparison. Gran Turismo and it's ilk are unplayable, etc. Diddy Kong was the first and last attempt to actually make a deep single player racer.

[quote name='defiance_17']I don't know, based on what I've been reading here for the last year or so, I'd call Phoenix Wright overrated a lot quicker than I would DKR. It's entertaining, but I don't think it's nearly as great as a lot of people claim.[/quote]

I TOTALLY agree with that. Phoenix Wright was anything but under rated. I think it's WORST score was in the 70s. Claiming it was underrated is the same as claiming the new Wii Zelda was underrated for "only" getting a Great rating from Gamespot.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']after HD, every other DS pales in comparison for me...

from what I've seen in video reviews, diddy kong racing seems to be content heavy... it's more like an adventure game with kart gameplay.[/QUOTE]

Yup. They actually bothered making it a single player game, which is what's so great about it (along with it being gorgeous back on the N64).

[quote name='RedvsBlue']This should have been a poll, it would have been easier for OP to gauge overall opinion, although I'd assume it'd be Phoenix Wright by a landslide.

That having been said I'd go with Diddy Kong Racing myself. I've gotten completely bored with Phoenix Wright to the point that I don't even think I'm gonna bother finishing it. I really just get tired of the interrogations/questioning and the way you have to ask questions in a certain order and object at the exact right phrase even if the phrase before it is an applicable time to object. It really gets to the point where about half way through a case you can tell exactly what happened and trying to get all the information feels like a chore in order to finish up the case.[/QUOTE]

Yup, it's why I don't like PC-style adventure games in general. Phoenix Wright was really good for one, fun cases and everything, but it still had what I think is illogical and thus tedious gameplay.

[quote name='Strell']II'm sure someone will say "But King Strell, the music is teh sux,"[/QUOTE]

You made me kind of worried about it, but I'm playing it now... and I find it superior to the first one's. The theme when court begins is epic.

Wow Wolfpup, we get it. You don't like adventure games.

You don't need to beat us over the head with 50 pounds of dead horse every time they are brought up.

[quote name='Strell']Wow Wolfpup, we get it. You don't like adventure games.

You don't need to beat us over the head with 50 pounds of dead horse every time they are brought up.[/QUOTE]

No, I don't like PC-style adventure games. I love adventure games.

And the poster specifically asked.

Not to mention at least I'm saying why I'd rather play Diddy Kong Racing, versus fans of PC-style adventure games that just flat out claim Phoenix Wright is better, not recognizing it's just because they like the genre, and not everyone likes it as much as they do.

And beside all that, I did get enjoyment out of the first Phoenix Wright, more than about any other game in the genre besides Riven.

Out of all the N64 games to make on DS why would they make this 30 fps cart racer, when mariokart was 60fps? Go buy lunar!

[quote name='hupp']Out of all the N64 games to make on DS why would they make this 30 fps cart racer, when mariokart was 60fps? Go buy lunar![/QUOTE]

How many frames per second a game runs at is about the lowest on my list of things to check for. It doesn't even register unless a game has a bad frame rate. That's like saying "I'm going to play Wolfenstein 3D instead of Half-Life 2 'cause it runs faster!" I sure don't care.

By Lunar, do you mean Lunar, or that Lunar Knights game?

Lunar got terrible reviews. Unfortunately it sounds like a pretty awful game.

Wolfie, you need not defend your opinion to everyone who posts. You like DKR better than PW? Cool. :) Others disagree with you, but thanks for giving the OP your opinion. Don't go crazy defending yourself. Your opinion is neither right nor wrong, it's simply your opinion.

[quote name='daroga']Wolfie, you need not defend your opinion to everyone who posts. You like DKR better than PW? Cool. :) Others disagree with you, but thanks for giving the OP your opinion. Don't go crazy defending yourself. Your opinion is neither right nor wrong, it's simply your opinion.[/QUOTE]

That was a totally different issue that makes no sense, so I responded.

Besides, a lot of people on this thread think it's a fact that PC Adventure games are better than anything else :D

[quote name='Wolfpup']
Besides, a lot of people on this thread think it's a fact that PC Adventure games are better than anything else :D[/QUOTE]

No it's not, it's exactly what daroga said - that we like one over the other. You don't seem to get this at all.

Beyond that, my comment earlier was that you seem to continually shovel a lot of general whining/distaste/disinterst on the PC Adventure genre in general. Like, a lot a lot. I get the feeling you'll be at a restaurant with some people, and someone will say, "Man, they burned my burger." And you'll respond with "You know what burns me? Illogical adventure games like Phoenix Wright!"

It's just that every thread I've seen you in regarding these types of games, it's one endless droning whinefest about it. Hotel Dusk is a good example, going into the thread, seeing it was that kind of game, and then offering a completely useless "well these types of games totally suck imo" sort of response. And then the same thing here and pretty much any other time they come up.

It's the same thing you're shoving back at us - that we're acting like no one can dislike PW over DKR. That's not the case at all. If the question was "Do you suggest Castlevania over DKR?" I'm sure the majority would say Castlevania. Even if we make the genres equal, I'd bet people would take Mario Kart over DKR.

It's not some kind of blinded bullshit you seem to happily tell yourself, it's offering an opinion of a fresh and amusing game that most peopel seem to really enjoy, instead of playing something that looks like a bastardized version of it's big brother that is several years old.

I'm sure if someone really wants a racer, they'll get a racer. It's not like you can't tell these two games apart.

Anyone pick up DKR yet? I got a call last night from EB telling me it'd be available this afternoon, and sure enough, they just called to tell me I can pick it up.

Not going to 'til tomorrow, though. My EB is just enough out of the way to where I don't want to make two trips, one today and one tomorrow (Winning Eleven for DS is tomorrow). So I'll do both then!

[quote name='Wolfpup']Besides, a lot of people on this thread think it's a fact that PC Adventure games are better than anything else :D[/quote]So what if they do? They're not allowed an opinion like that? Just because you don't like Phoenix Wright or the genre at large doesn't make you any more right or more able to state your opinion that game I think is mediocre at best is the "best racer ever." Likewise, who the heck am I to say that your praise of said game is not wanted here in this thread? No one. We're both no ones.

And I'm not coming down hard on you or anything. This whole thread is kind of silly. Pitting Mario Kart and Diddy Kong against each other would've made for an interesting read; likewise Hotel Dusk and Phoenix Wright. But it's like comparing an LCD TV to canned pickles. "I like something I can watch!" "That's crazy, eating is where it's at!" ;) The thread should've been a pole here people suggested which game to get--and that it's. There's no discussion, no arguing, no objective solution to the issue at hand. :)

bread's done
Back