Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion (3DS) $20 + Free One-Day Shipping @Amazon.com

I bought it before reading a review...haven't played it yet, but it was some major magazine gave it like a 3/10 or something super super low.

I thought Epic Mickey was garbage (to my utter shock, given I like plenty of Disney games, and Deus Ex is one of my two favorite games ever), but was expecting this to be better.

Oh well, still curious and don't really regret buying it to try.

Just ordered this. From what I can tell, its a great game just way too short. A few hours and you got it beat.

This is not working with Amazon customer service, she's asking me did I receive 1 of two 3D glasses.

And they denied a price difference. Crazy as I just received it today.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kaydigi']This is not working with Amazon customer service, she's asking me did I receive 1 of two 3D glasses.

And they denied a price difference. Crazy as I just received it today.[/QUOTE]

Wait...what? You're trying to get a price match you mean, and they're talking about "3D" glasses? :lol:

Well anyway I don't think they've price matched for years now. Not sure what I bought it for or for that matter where I bought it (Toys R Us, now that I think about it...) but I'm not worried.

I played the 3DS and Wii version at pax, both seemed really fun. SLow though, but for $20 I think the 3DS version is more than worth it for just a classic throw back. I hear there is a lot of back tracking and it is super short, but I am alright with that.

I was really disappointed by this one. There is a good game in there somewhere but it’s buried under awful required touchscreen segments and poor implementation of movement mechanics.

The final “world” also pushes the difficulty through the roof; not because of logical level progression but because the combat mechanics will screw you. To kill enemies you need to stomp on them, often 3-4 times but doing so makes you bounce high into the air. The last world has you working down through platforms with enemies on each layer. Every time you bounce on one you go flying back up multiple layers and have to dodge spikes with each bounce adding to the tedium.

Making matters even worse the only reliable way to recover health is to draw a magical chest on the touchscreen. You get health from the chest but not very much and in random quantities. In the later sections of the game I spent upwards of 5 minutes after each combat heavy section drawing the chest over and over just to recover enough health to carry on.

Oh woooonderful. Too hard AND touch screen stuff, my favorite ;) "Grinding" for health too lol

Ugh...oh well, at least this'll get me to play it sooner rather than later, not save it thinking it's a treat.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Oh woooonderful. Too hard AND touch screen stuff, my favorite ;) "Grinding" for health too lol

Ugh...oh well, at least this'll get me to play it sooner rather than later, not save it thinking it's a treat.[/QUOTE]

The first world is actually quite easy and fairly enjoyable so there is that. :)

Just know it’s all downhill from there.

[quote name='novem']I was really disappointed by this one. There is a good game in there somewhere but it’s buried under awful required touchscreen segments and poor implementation of movement mechanics.

The final “world” also pushes the difficulty through the roof; not because of logical level progression but because the combat mechanics will screw you. To kill enemies you need to stomp on them, often 3-4 times but doing so makes you bounce high into the air. The last world has you working down through platforms with enemies on each layer. Every time you bounce on one you go flying back up multiple layers and have to dodge spikes with each bounce adding to the tedium.

Making matters even worse the only reliable way to recover health is to draw a magical chest on the touchscreen. You get health from the chest but not very much and in random quantities. In the later sections of the game I spent upwards of 5 minutes after each combat heavy section drawing the chest over and over just to recover enough health to carry on.[/QUOTE]

I am only at the end of world 2, so maybe you are correct in having to stomp all of the enemies. There is no way to use your paintbrush or spin attack to kill the enemies like in the rest of the game?

Also, you can recover health quite easily by defeating enemies with the blue paint brush. The green paintbrush rewards money after a kill. Maybe this gets much harder to do at the end of the game? Overall, I usually find way more hearts lying around than I need just from killing enemies, but I am only 1/2 done.

Overall I am really enjoying the game. It is a quick rental from gamefly though, so I didn't drop $20+ on the game. The music is amazing, and the platforming is very fun. The touch controls can get a little annoying, but it fits with the gameplay overall and is not entirely bad. The overall game is much more addicting than the demo would lead me to believe.

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']I am only at the end of world 2, so maybe you are correct in having to stomp all of the enemies. There is no way to use your paintbrush or spin attack to kill the enemies like in the rest of the game?
[/QUOTE]

Nope, you actually can’t. I was annoyed by the touch screen stuff through the whole game but it wasn’t till the third world that I started to hate the game in general. Before that point it just seemed rather mediocre and forgettable. The third world is Little Mermaid themed which incorporates all the worst things in the game. Along with new annoying enemies, being under water means you now jump higher, slower and in places have to fight with water currents and spikes.

In the section I was referencing you have to descend through a tight pass that is only wide enough for one enemy to stand on. The only way to kill the enemy so you can get through is bounce on them, which sends you flying through multiple platforms back up to the very top of the area. Since it takes a few bounces to kill the enemies you are going to be doing this for a while. The walls here are covered in spikes and there are also enemies that can shoot projectiles through the terrain in this section.

bread's done
Back