Disney Infinity AKA Disney Skylanders

For the blind packs you can feel them. Since only 4 round disks, will make it somewhat easier
That's going to make them a pain in the ass to get. People will be dumping out the boxes feeling up pack after pack trying to find packs that they like.

I just placed a few in-store pickup orders on Toys R Us' website. It's BOGO 50% everything Disney Infinity (including starter sets if you want to go splits-ies with a friend) except the Power Disc packs, which are BOGO $1. Was not able to get 20% off coupon to stack (works if you only have one item in your cart), but I don't know if it'll be locked out if you try in-store.

Also noticed Crystal Lightning McQueen was quickly becoming unavailable for in-store pickup. I wonder if there were any held back for walk-ins. I wound up doing my in-store pickup for Crystal McQueen at an in-mall TRU Express, so be sure to check those out if you're on the hunt.

EDIT: Looks like the preorder offer is still listed, but it wouldn't zero-out the figure and disc pack. However, it did seem like that was one instance where the 20% off coupon and BOGO 50% offer did stack (20% off game, 50% off figure, net roughly equivalent to preorder deal value).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say, this is the first time in years since I felt the need to buy some toys again. And that's someone who has sworn off collecting action figures in almost a decade. This is gonna turn into the hottest must have this holiday season. 

Just got back with it.  We picked up the starter pack, all the figures, and 5 packs of power up discs.  Lots of tutorials to do in it.  The power up discs are a nice bonus, except for the blind buy set up.  We ended up with 2 extra mickeys car and one extra nemo theme.  Most of the voice acting is either good or close, some are a little off like Woody. We'll post more later on.

I wound up with the starter set, Cars playset, Lone Ranger playset, Violet, Dash, Mater, and Crystal Lightning McQueen.  Neither Target nor TRU Express had the Sidekicks 3-pack, and TRU Express did not have the Villians 3-pack.  I'll probably grab those if they come in this week.  I also picked up two packs of power discs in addition to the free one for pre-ordering.  I didn't get the TRU exclusive one in either pack I bought there, so, unless there are special packs with them in it, it isn't in every pack.  Of the three, I ended up with a duplicate of Bolt's power-up.  I haven't had a chance to check the game out yet.  One other woman was buying them in Target for her grandson when I went there, and she was spending quite a bit on them as well.

9 out of 10 from the game informer review that went up. I went out this morning and managed to grab two sets of power disks, the base game, and all of the available characters. Did anyone else run into an issue at Target with the cars playset being street dated for 10/15?

duplicates I have are:

- Felix Repair Power
- Tangled theme for terrain objects
- Nemo theme for terrain objects (I got 3 of these total)
- Stitch's Blaster
- Carl's Cane

ones I need are:
- Pieces of Eight (more loot) ability
- King Candy's Dessert Toppings (sugar rush theme for terrain objects)
- Alice Sky theme
- Tangled Sky theme
- all 3 rare ones

Anyone want to trade some? I'll trade any 3 of my extras, or pay $15 for any rare. Otherwise 1 common for 1 common.

I have extra of: 

-Felix Repair Ability

- Tangled Terrain Objects theme

- Nemo Terrain Objects theme

- Stitch Blaster

- Carl's Cane

I need:

- Dumbo Rare

- Pieces of eight (Pirates loot ability)

- Alice Sky theme

So what do the discs do? 

How is everyone enjoying the game? I've been thinking about getting it once it goes on sale ($75 is too much IMO), but for now I'm still thinking about picking up Violet or Mrs Incredible.

Check over at the thread I started.., if people start trading, more power.  I linked pics to the ones I need but (shrug)

Discs do lots of different things.

1) Change the sky/terrain in your toy box.

2) Circles power your characters.  Different stuff like more health, more damage, more gold, etc.

3)  Toys for the toy box like rides, gear, horses, cars etc.

Just a reminder to those like me who think the starter set is too expensive. TRU has a coupon for 20% off any Disney Infinity item.

Anyone want to trade some? I'll trade any 3 of my extras, or pay $15 for any rare. Otherwise 1 common for 1 common.

I have extra of:

-Felix Repair Ability

- Tangled Terrain Objects theme

- Nemo Terrain Objects theme

- Stitch Blaster

- Carl's Cane

I need:

- All 3 rares

- Pieces of eight (Pirates loot ability)

- Sugar Rush Theme for Terrain objects

- Alice Sky theme

- Tangled Sky theme
Rapunzel's Birthday Sky? I have an extra. Interested in trading for Felix? I'll PM you too.

Also, I have the following available for trade and what I'm looking for as well.
Names per this list here: https://infinity.disney.com/power-discs#set1

Have

4X Cinderella's Coach
2X Kahn (Mulan)
1X Carl Frederickson's Cane
1x Rapunzel Kingdom

Need

Bolt's Super Strength
Pieces of Eight
Tulgey Wood
Alice's Wonderland
Apu the Elephant
Dumbo the Ride

Nope.  Feel the packs.  I've had Hex/Hex, Circle/Circle, and Hex/Circle.  There are only 4 circles in Series 1.. though you can use 2 of each for your characters.  (i.e. you can stack 2 Fix-It's for 40% health bonus)

Nope. Feel the packs. I've had Hex/Hex, Circle/Circle, and Hex/Circle. There are only 4 circles in Series 1.. though you can use 2 of each for your characters. (i.e. you can stack 2 Fix-It's for 40% health bonus)
Ok cool my wife got the first batch so we got doubles of two of the circles already out of 5 packs. Also the hexagon ones with the red border how many different ones of those are there. Is there a red version for every hexagon power disc or just certain ones? Are there red border versions of the round power discs also?

I'm a little disappointed in a game aimed at families with local Co op does not give both players achievements. Just player one.

3 Red/Orange bordered in the packs UNLESS you bought the gold pack from TRU.  That one is Mike's Car EVERY TIME (until the next edition).  Series 1 does not have any circle rares.

Those are "rares" but as I have 3 Apu's I'm not sure how.  They're selling on Ebay for about 25-30+

Dumbo

Apu the Elephant

Buzz's Astro Blaster

Honestly, they're just toys in the toy box.  If you like'm you do.  I'm trying to get my set on but now that I've got my hands on how they work, they're not exactly $25-$30 items ya know?

I spent a ton of money.. bought something like $60-80 in packs this morning from TRU and don't have a complete set.  Most of these things unlock in the game and look like they get put away after activation.  So there is that.

Kids currently playing on a downloaded Toy Box from Disney they showed at Disney D23 (think giant playground of slides and rides).  It's amusing but I needed a break.  Incredibles with a 6 y/o is stressful :)

Whoops, 4 hours in gamepad dies.. LOL  She's pretty upset.

meh I couldnt help it I bought the buzz blaster and the apu/elephant from ebay. $35 for the 2 of them. I figure I'd spend at least that just trying to get them.

Yea, that's pretty much why I'm staying off of there.  If I can trade, I will.  There's a TRU nation-wide trade event on Sept 7th from Noon-2pm.  Honestly, have you played toybox mode?  While they're fun, they aren't as good as the Cars or Lone Ranger expansion (which is what people are trying to sell them for)

Edit, at this point I more want that darned Nemo I'm missing.  But I'm too stubborn to pay for MORE discs when I have tons for trade :)

My Son just loves the Car play set. He just drives around Mater oblivious to any missions. Just driving around and randomly towing tractors.

Yea, we spent the time in Incredibles.  Then she got mad cause I forced her off for a bit.  I just got done with Monster University which is a pretty good time for adults.  Lots of platforming/hopping and playing pranks on Fear Tech is pretty funny (chaining some of the joke machines together is HILARIOUS)  I've got 4-5 hours in on Incredibles, 3-4 on Monsters University and I haven't completed any of them... yet.

Is there one system that is clear cut better to buy it on? We own all of them, but I ordered the wii u version because of the tablet controller for my daughter.

I LIKE the WII U.. and the controls are a little better (because you can scroll through your options in the Toy box or change powers).  I hear PS4 is having issues with multiplayer (likely to be patched).  I will say, I've fallen through the ground on the Wii U twice now.  Both in Monsters U.  Not sure about graphical differences.

Cars 2 Pk and Lone Ranger 2 pk at Target is the cheapest.  $17.  I successfully bought it at BB with a price match on the ad.

Walmart is the cheapest current 3-pks at 14.99.  (they were only cheaper on mistaken(?) sales from BB AFAIK which ran 12.99 for them)

ToysRUs is the current cheapest Starter provided you use the 20% off coupon there.  Discs are also cheapest at TRU with buy 1 ($5) get 1 for $1.  (bringing avg disc price to $1.50).  

I believe K-Mart is holding buy one get one 50% on singles.

Have fun all, off to work for the day.

I cannot find the answer to this anywhere, so I might as well ask it here.

I am 26 years old.

I love Minecraft (which I have heard the Toy Box mode compared to) and open world games as a whole.

I have a full time job.

Is this a game that I should get?  I feel like it's a potentially HUGE investment, and I don't want to throw myself at it and then be out $150 almost right away.

I'm a 30 year old who wasted the better part of a day yesterday between collecting and playing.  I would advise that you buy the starter on sale or with the 20% TRU coupon.  (so you're only out ~$60 at first)

If you play by YOURSELF, the only thing you'll be missing out on is the "locked" chests.  (basically, extra toys for the Toy Box, generally directly related to the game itself [i.e. Monsters inc has monsters/school kinda layouts/etc, Car's are mostly tracks and the like])

I have not personally played multiplayer so I'm not sure how that'd work (like if someone with a character that you don't have can help unlock things for you).  

IMO,  Try it.  I've got about 5 hours into the Incredibles (not beat) and about 4 into Monsters University (not beat).  With the starter you'd also have Pirates included.  If you LIKE it, then I'd recommend picking up the expansions ON SALE(for Cars and Lone Ranger) (if you do that by the end of the week the $60 for the game, plus $30 for both expansions is $90 to unlock the actual gameplay of all the current sets).  The Figs is just a figs thing.   Don't NEED them.  I've already doubled the amount of time I spent on Force Unleashed 2 :)  But I spent a lot of money on figs for the kid (well, me too).

Honestly, I enjoy the toy box.  Especially some of the Disney made ones because it gives me ideas.  For example, there is a magic wand function where you can assign a certain points activation to do things (much like red ore in Minecraft).  Not sure about all the possibilities yet so that'd be a gamble on you.

The game MODES themselves, are geared for little kids.  For big kids, there's TONS of collectibles.  All collectibles generally are for things in the toy box (or for gold stars).  They're everywhere and some of them are tricky.  The world opens up with the quests.  These quests are by no means brain surgery.  They're fairly simple and hitting a button gives you arrows that spoon feed you to the next step.  You CAN turn those arrows off if you don't like what they do.  But each mode is specific to the character on the pad.  Jack Sparrow will not go to Monster's U.  I watched my kid play cars this morning and can't WAIT to set up my own track.  There was a game WAY back for Windows 3.1 called something like Stunt Driver.  Basically, it was hot wheels with real cars.  That was a blast, this was very akin to that.  I just want to make stuff jump and explode.

Hope it helps.  I dig it.  But I'm weird like that.

I'll be around, if anyone has questions.  Some people will probably get more familiar with it than me as I have a job that occupies my life more and more.  :)

Anyone else have/had any troubles getting the WiiU version to work? My game screen loads and sits at the first screen you see. The music loops and nothing happens

I'm curious which Power Disc people got with the starter set.  I bought the PS3 version, and it had the disc for Mickey's car in it.  I know the box said they were random, but I'm wondering if they are.

Damn, I have really been trying to stay away from this.  I got the Sidekicks 3-pack in the mail the other day from that long-ago Best Buy order (for what, $12?).  Then I snagged the Cars pack at Target just in case (I have 90 days to return it).

But I just can't plunk down $75 for the base game and it looks like the discs are taking the Skylanders concept to a ridiculous extreme.  I just have to think that the starter packs and a lot of the accessories will be available much cheaper down the road.  And I can make this a Christmas present for my 6 year-old in a much cheaper way if I wait.  Fred Meyer right now has I think a $25 gift card when you buy a starter pack but even at $50 that just seems like too much given all the extras you end up buying.  I'll have to see about all this...

On the flip side, it could become like the first Skylanders and closer to Christmas it could be impossible to find figures.  Though I have to think with Disney behind this they are flooding the shelves and not being conservative with shipments like Activision was with the first Skylanders which was an unknown quantity at the time.

Also, is there going to be a PS4 or One version of this game?  It seems like I'd rather wait for those if so.

I'm curious which Power Disc people got with the starter set. I bought the PS3 version, and it had the disc for Mickey's car in it. I know the box said they were random, but I'm wondering if they are.
I bought the Xbox and got the round disc with Pirate Johnny Depp on it that gives you more money or something.

I haven't heard of any plans for Xbox One or PS4 version of the game. I could see the starter set dropping to 39.99 during the holiday. We'll see. I got mine at TRU with 20% off coupon which brought it down to 60.

In my starter set, I got the Alice in Wonderland sky texture disc.

Damn, I have really been trying to stay away from this. I got the Sidekicks 3-pack in the mail the other day from that long-ago Best Buy order (for what, $12?). Then I snagged the Cars pack at Target just in case (I have 90 days to return it).

But I just can't plunk down $75 for the base game and it looks like the discs are taking the Skylanders concept to a ridiculous extreme. I just have to think that the starter packs and a lot of the accessories will be available much cheaper down the road. And I can make this a Christmas present for my 6 year-old in a much cheaper way if I wait. Fred Meyer right now has I think a $25 gift card when you buy a starter pack but even at $50 that just seems like too much given all the extras you end up buying. I'll have to see about all this...

On the flip side, it could become like the first Skylanders and closer to Christmas it could be impossible to find figures. Though I have to think with Disney behind this they are flooding the shelves and not being conservative with shipments like Activision was with the first Skylanders which was an unknown quantity at the time.

Also, is there going to be a PS4 or One version of this game? It seems like I'd rather wait for those if so.
I'm with you. $40 to unlock "expansions"? I already had a problem with Skylanders charging to unlock on disc content but this is absolutely unconscionable. These games take the Free To Play model of giving the game away for free then..."Hey look at that cool area over there! Give us $10 and you'll have access to it forever!" to CHARGING for the game THEN charging for the areas at a price that's almost full price for another whole game!

As stated, use TRU 20% code for the starter.

I got (another) Fix It Felix (I opened my packs first).

I have no issues with the Wii u.  Try hitting the + button.  If I recall, the first thing it did the first time I booted it was ask me to type in my Disney Username and Password.  (seemed separate from the actual game)

You guys joke but you realize they're releasing AT LEAST one more adventure set (Toy Story) between now and then.  It wouldn't surprise me to see multiple adventures given the next wave (Phineas and Perry, the 2 girls from that new movie, Jack from Nightmare before Christmas, Ralph and silverman's character for Wreck it Ralph) just between NOW and January (Jan is the new Sorc Mickey).

P.S.  Not a single person here likely paid $40 for an expansion... I paid 17 across the board and since I've already got 10 hours into one of those expansions, $17 was fairly cheap.  It's also NOT the F2P model as you buy in.  It does have legitimate expansions... which this was designed BETTER to do that Skylanders was.  Skylanders the expansion was a handful of things to do and I was done in 3-4 hours.  This gives me 8+ hours per adventure.  That's cheaper than a movie.

OK, so here's a question.  Will they be releasing expansions that actually provide new content (as opposed to unlocking stuff on the disc)?  I was always disappointed that Skylanders couldn't come out with real DLC-like expansions.  I can see why they didn't do it as not everyone has access to the Internet to download new content and keeping the game consistent across all the platforms also complicates things. (If someone bought a new toy and couldn't download the level it would create a lot of confusion and anger).

So this Toy Story expansion and the ones coming out later - is all that content already in the game?  If they added true expansions that consisted of new toys and new content not in the game I wouldn't mind so much.  But I have a feeling it is all there already and like Skylanders we are just paying to unlock it.

I'm sure I'll jump in eventually.  Compared to the ridiculous MSRP for the starter pack/expansions the current deals are nice, but not quite enough for me yet...

As stated, use TRU 20% code for the starter.

I got (another) Fix It Felix (I opened my packs first).

I have no issues with the Wii u. Try hitting the + button. If I recall, the first thing it did the first time I booted it was ask me to type in my Disney Username and Password. (seemed separate from the actual game)

You guys joke but you realize they're releasing AT LEAST one more adventure set (Toy Story) between now and then. It wouldn't surprise me to see multiple adventures given the next wave (Phineas and Perry, the 2 girls from that new movie, Jack from Nightmare before Christmas, Ralph and silverman's character for Wreck it Ralph) just between NOW and January (Jan is the new Sorc Mickey).

P.S. Not a single person here likely paid $40 for an expansion... I paid 17 across the board and since I've already got 10 hours into one of those expansions, $17 was fairly cheap. It's also NOT the F2P model as you buy in. It does have legitimate expansions... which this was designed BETTER to do that Skylanders was. Skylanders the expansion was a handful of things to do and I was done in 3-4 hours. This gives me 8+ hours per adventure. That's cheaper than a movie.
Look man, I'm not passing judgement on you or the fact that you enjoy the game. I'm sure I'd enjoy it if I played it but I'm not going to because of the business model. I don't actually consider these as "expansions" per say and honestly I doubt Disney will have a good sale like this every time they release new figures. Those guys at Disney know what they're doing. Look at the way they cut off coupons on the Blu Ray discs once they became popular.

OK, so here's a question. Will they be releasing expansions that actually provide new content (as opposed to unlocking stuff on the disc)? I was always disappointed that Skylanders couldn't come out with real DLC-like expansions. I can see why they didn't do it as not everyone has access to the Internet to download new content and keeping the game consistent across all the platforms also complicates things. (If someone bought a new toy and couldn't download the level it would create a lot of confusion and anger).

So this Toy Story expansion and the ones coming out later - is all that content already in the game? If they added true expansions that consisted of new toys and new content not in the game I wouldn't mind so much. But I have a feeling it is all there already and like Skylanders we are just paying to unlock it.

I'm sure I'll jump in eventually. Compared to the ridiculous MSRP for the starter pack/expansions the current deals are nice, but not quite enough for me yet...
I doubt they're going to have downloadable expansions. Imagine a kid getting one of these $40 "expansions" for his birthday only to find out it doesn't work. This week's Bombcast discusses the game a bit and they mention they got a character that's not out yet and that it works... Also, they clearly didn't release the most popular ones first, I wouldn't be surprised to see a $60 Star Wars "expansion" that will go "on sale" for $40. Same thing with Mickey Mouse. That's just spitballing of course. I'm sure they're going to ramp up to more and more popular characters over time to keep the interest up.

Whelp... here's the problem... I don't know.  I'm not technically capable enough to break down the coding to determine if they pulled a Capcom.

I IMAGINE the answer is YES.  If you go to the Hall of Heroes, most of the figures already have their podium, and the next couple set of coins are all around the edges (though Disney Infinity maintains via Facebook that these are not finalized and can/will be changed in a future update).  What I can say is that the way they've DESIGNED it, it can easily be tiered and added to in the future (with patches, but likely they'll do some sort of disc/game addition that'd use the save file).

Having said that...  the Wii is having some fairly big issues (like not being able to download the free Disney Toy Box's) because of a combination of Wii's Online abilities AND system limitations (causing things like no co-op in adventures).  So I imagine BECAUSE of that, everything WOULD be preloaded onto the disc.

Can you imagine the rage some parents would have if they took their kid this NEW playset (on a console that isn't connected to the net) and couldn't play it?

Now, having said that... let's be honest, how many games have you played for MONTHS?  3 months?  1 month?  This way, you're basically fed new content over the course of a couple of months.  I'd likely get bored, play another game, and then come back to play the new content.  And so far the content is a LOT of content, whereas my 5 buck-10 buck EA DLC gains me a new skin or a new gun or whatever.

And losing the Disney Blu Ray coupons STILL is a sore spot to me. 

If it WASN'T Disney, I wouldn't have jumped on it again.  I didn't need a new Skylanders.  But my kid identifies with this more than Skylanders.  She reenacts Incredibles, or set up a race today between Lightning and Mater.  I've never ONCE seen her do that with Skylanders.  But being a CAG, it's very hard to pay full price for it.  If I thought that I'd be able to find it for sale later and not have a problem finding the pieces I was looking for, I might agree with you.  And I have a feeling I will pucker up once Marvel and SW come out because that'll cost me a FORTUNE and I know it.

I'm VERY sore over the Whamshell debacle (only Series 1 Skylander I didn't find in a store).  I'm not repeating that hunt ever again.  I am no Arnold S. from Jingle all the Way.  :p

Someone on GameFaqs went into the PS3 version and said there's files for everything that's been announced for the October release. That would be Skellington, Toy Story set, Sorcerer Mickey, and Wreck It Ralph I believe. As long as they make new content to sell I won't be bothered. They probably had all this in mind for the first wave but decided to hold it back so they could release something closer to the holidays. So I wouldn't label this one a Capcom YET since in all likilhood it was intended to be released at launch but then they realized they would have nothing else to sell until at least the new year.

Isn't this literally the exact same scenario as with Skylanders? You're paying for DLC that's literally already on the disc, it's a way for the developer to wring a few extra dollars from the consumer and also cut out the platforms from receiving any percentage of the DLC. Win win for the developer.

Isn't this literally the exact same scenario as with Skylanders? You're paying for DLC that's literally already on the disc, it's a way for the developer to wring a few extra dollars from the consumer and also cut out the platforms from receiving any percentage of the DLC. Win win for the developer.
Pretty much.

So I wouldn't label this one a Capcom YET since in all likilhood it was intended to be released at launch but then they realized they would have nothing else to sell until at least the new year.
Oh, they absolutely intended to release stuff in waves that is already on the disc. There's no question about that. But I was just wondering if they had said anything about releasing more stuff later (beyond the 3 waves or whatever that are already planned). In that case, they might have to add stuff via DLC. But as already stated, that causes problems with people not connected to the net (which probably includes a big chunk of the Wii versions sold). So they will probably just do it like Skylanders and release a new game each year that is backwards compatible with the previous figures. Being Disney they can just milk all their properties and don't have to come up with a new gimmick each year like Skylanders (Giants last year, and "swappable" pieces this year), which I feel is really losing steam.

Having said all that, I don't think this is as bad as "doing a Capcom" because it was pretty much planned this way from the beginning. That's just the way these things work. And after spending over 10 hours just on the Monsters U playset, I actually don't have a problem with it. That set alone was good enough to be it's own separate game. I mean, had that come out as the movie tie-in game it would have gotten pretty good reviews compared to most tie-ins. If the rest are anything near that good, then I don't really have a problem with the way the game is structured with all the content already there. I was just hoping they could add more stuff they didn't think of a year or two ago when they first planned the game out - that could only be done via DLC.

bread's done
Back