Disney Infinity Deals Compilation Thread

So, I've only put in about 1/2 hour, just enough time to do the intro & a couple of Mr. Incredible challenges.

It seems like your character doesn't level-up. But you do get tokens to unlock more toys. Is that right? Or do your characters unlock more abilities as you play.

OK, thanks for that.

I was really more interested in knowing if they were doing something special, kinda like the Mickey fig early sneak peek.

I'm sure a woulda bought some L.E. item if it were only available in the park

Didn't even bother to look at the pricing since stuff is usually marked up 50%, when compared to the real world. Think they're gonna put a Starbucks into the park too; can't wait to see what those prices are gonna be :roll:
Starbucks is in DCA, it's not too badly priced.

http://slumz.boxden.com/f13/disney-infinity-lone-ranger-sorcerer-s-apprentice-mickey-crystal-figures-leaked-1964655/

Crystal-Mickey-Lone-Ranger.png

I think I would pass on Lone Ranger, but I definitely want to score that Mickey figure!
Nice find! I am a huge GiantBomb fan and I saw that video in its entirety when it was first posted weeks ago and I never noticed that lol

$5.16 for shipping and they will likely dump it in to First Class mail at a cost of less than $1.50
no, i've bought small things from toysrus before. They will send it in a HUGE box, and it will just be the small pack inside, that is why they charge $5. They must be run by idiots to not send things first class. I could run a company better

At one point last week (late in the week really...like Thursday/Friday) I had pretty much convinced myself to buy this game and had figured out how I was going to buy everything I wanted and where to price match and all.  But the more I thought on it I finally decided to stay away.

I like the concept but I feel that it is going to be a money sink in the long run (obviously).  There is only so much to do as far as the playsets as the bulk majority of it seems involved with Toy Box mode which honestly doesn't interest me very much.  They are going to eventually make a sequel (a la Skylanders) that will be bigger and better and more involved. 

I bought Skylanders Giants starter pack because of that Target pm/coupon/preorder combo deal and getting it so cheap.  Had it not been for that I'd of never bought it.  I played the game once since buying it for about two hours and found the fact I needed to swap figures a hassle really because I had to get up to do it (yes I'm that lazy).

I'm a huge fan of Disney.  But for now, I think I'm just going to stick to playing Toy Story 3.  I'd forgotten I bought the game and seeing as I mainly wanted Infinity for that set I'm just gonna make do for now.

Also, Disney Infinity sounds like false advertising.  Inifnity is to go on forever without end.  But the way this is going to shape up is that come next fall Infinity 2 is going to be on store shelves and the hype will begin again.  I don't see how they can possibly have this game stay in print and just release more playsets for it unless there is a lot more involved with that base and the Starter Set disc than we all believe.  If that did become the case....it's truly just a one release game and they will build on it continuously and not release another money grab I will be very impressed with them.  And then end up regretting not buying in on the front end lol.

I doubt they would do this, but it would be great if you could just pay a discounted price for "Infinty 2" and just download it straight to your console.  They know that the people paying for it have already purchased the figures.

I bought Skylanders Giants starter pack because of that Target pm/coupon/preorder combo deal and getting it so cheap. Had it not been for that I'd of never bought it. I played the game once since buying it for about two hours and found the fact I needed to swap figures a hassle really because I had to get up to do it (yes I'm that lazy).
You don't have to swap characters nearly as much as with Skylanders. For Skylanders, you need to swap them constantly to unlock elemental gates and when your characters die.

For Disney Infinity you can drop one character for a play set on the portal and leave it there for the entire 8-12 hours of gameplay (per play set - and keep in mind 3 are included with the Starter Pack). When you die, you just respawn. It really is a completely different experience.

You can still get into the game and play the 3 core play sets for just the price of the starter set. You don't need anything else to enjoy what are essentially 3 full-length games (in terms of kids movie type games that is). So once you can get one of those cheap you might consider getting it for just those stories. You would only need to swap the characters 3 times total for the 3 stories ;). (Note that to play local coop you would need another character from the same play set so you'd need the Sidekicks or Villians pack).

Last edited by a moderator:
^Outside of local coop or just genuinely liking a character or being OCD is there any necessity for additional figures for each playset?

It doesn't hinder the experience in any way does it?

^Outside of local coop or just genuinely liking a character or being OCD is there any necessity for additional figures for each playset?

No you don't necessarily need them, but the Cars set and Lone Ranger set each add an extra world. I think each character from the set play a little bit differently though.

Also, Disney Infinity sounds like false advertising. Inifnity is to go on forever without end. But the way this is going to shape up is that come next fall Infinity 2 is going to be on store shelves and the hype will begin again. I don't see how they can possibly have this game stay in print and just release more playsets for it unless there is a lot more involved with that base and the Starter Set disc than we all believe. If that did become the case....it's truly just a one release game and they will build on it continuously and not release another money grab I will be very impressed with them. And then end up regretting not buying in on the front end lol.
A couple things that may influence your decision:

Disney Infinity has already been announced as a series that will have regular (probably yearly) game releases. The developers have been open when talking about this.

Also, the figures will be forward and backward compatible with future game releases. Figures you buy now will work in the toy box for the next game, and figures you buy next year will work in the current Disney Infinity game's toy box. That indicates that Disney does plan to release some sort of DLC to include the character files for the new figures.

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/disney_infinity/news/disney_plans_to_release_a_new_disney_infinity_game_every_year.html

Skipping figures from a playset doesn't "hinder" the game, no. But there are vaults and treasure chests specifically for each figure to open, which probably contain toy box pieces you won't be able to obtain otherwise. You will also not be able to participate on certain challenges in each playset, as individual characters can have their own challenges. For example, there's a challenge in the Pirates playset that can only be unlocked by Barbosa.

So you won't miss much of the game if you don't buy all the characters.

Much thanks to the poster that had broken out all of the deals and calculated the $160 price tag.  That was enough incentive for my wife and I to get everything (except extra packs) for my son for xmas.  Everything is put away so haven't gotten to use the game but the neighbor boy came over and I watched them play his Impossible set and toy box for a little bit.

The kids were screwing around so I may not be correct but it seems like the toy box world doesn't really hold enough "memory" to create anything that's visually impressive.  I don't like this type of gameplay so I'm biased but I would have wanted this huge realm where I could combine all of my unlocked stuff and do anything.  They put in a few buildings and a race track and the thing was almost full. 

We played Toy Story 3 and really enjoyed the open world portion.  This isn't as good IMO from what I've seen.

I'm also very disappointed that many of the next sets are only toy box mode.  Wreck it Ralph and Jack Skelington have two of the more interesting worlds.  It will have to be one hell of a sale for me to pull the trigger on them.

Marvel/Star Wars would be nice.  EA licensing contract is probably a problem but maybe someone had foresight to exclude this in it or EA might just let it slide cause I'm sure they aren't going to do this.  Any of the other SW licensees could be a problem too because of how figures are sold.  Many years ago Lego had to change their methods of selling SW mini-figs cause Hasbro complained cause they had license on SW action figures and mini's could be considered action figs.

Could this be one of the "Must Have" toys for xmas?  Local stores still have a lot of stock, seems like this has kinda been under the radar.  Maybe a big advertising push come Nov?

Why haven't we heard more from developers or am I looking in wrong places?

How many duplicate discs can you stack on top of each other? 

For the round "stat-boosting" discs, you can have two stacked per character. Certain combinations trigger bonuses on top of that.

The hex discs can be stacked three high, but only in toy box mode.
If you can stack two of the same round discs and there are two players, then we would theoretically want 4 of each disc. Sounds awful but at least it makes the idea of so many blind pack duplicates a little for tolerable.

I've got a strong feeling that the main mode of next year's DI installment will focus on a mash-up world and story where any and all toys can be used together, with Play Sets being released separately.

They desperately need to do something to make the Toy Box Only characters more purposeful, and that would do the trick.

Hello, I tried looking through the Thread but didn't see anything confirming this...I looked online to pre-order the Jack Skellington figure at Game Stop and was only able to order for ship to me....can i order one in store? i have a store that's a few blocks away from me and would rather pick up in store.

Hello, I tried looking through the Thread but didn't see anything confirming this...I looked online to pre-order the Jack Skellington figure at Game Stop and was only able to order for ship to me....can i order one in store? i have a store that's a few blocks away from me and would rather pick up in store.
Yea you can preorder in store. I preorder it when I picked up the game Saturday.

I've got a strong feeling that the main mode of next year's DI installment will focus on a mash-up world and story where any and all toys can be used together, with Play Sets being released separately.

They desperately need to do something to make the Toy Box Only characters more purposeful, and that would do the trick.
Possibly, but then again, Disney was specifically very sensitive to avoiding having their different character brands blend. I sort of get it, if all the characters can show up in any world, it kind of dilutes the strength of each brand.

I think toy box mode is their response to that. My guess is that we see more and more world sets and the depth of toy box mode increases significantly. People keep comparing this to Minecraft, I could see it taking on more complexity as a creation tool and allowing kids to recreate more of what is present in the character levels. This is especially true when Disney Infinity 2.0 comes out on next gen hardware and will have more processing power to play with.

The one thing I find really disappointing about this game is that you are forced to use character to movie specific characters, for example I'd love to use Jack Sparrow on the Incredibles play set, or Incredibles in Pirates...etc.   Would have been cool if playing in those playsets swapped them with costumes and powers of the world they're in.    If you're reading this Disney, use this for the sequel!

The kids were screwing around so I may not be correct but it seems like the toy box world doesn't really hold enough "memory" to create anything that's visually impressive. I don't like this type of gameplay so I'm biased but I would have wanted this huge realm where I could combine all of my unlocked stuff and do anything. They put in a few buildings and a race track and the thing was almost full.
You need to put in more terrain blocks. The memory is enough to hold whatever you can think of. You just need enough land put out. The Disneyland park that they created and is available for download is able to be made by anyone.

As another poster said, I think I'll just stick with Toy Story 3 for my Disney fix. Since that's my favorite disney franchise I don't think I can justify the cost for play sets and characters I'd rarely use, especially if it is only character/movie specific....

The one thing I find really disappointing about this game is that you are forced to use character to movie specific characters, for example I'd love to use Jack Sparrow on the Incredibles play set, or Incredibles in Pirates...etc. Would have been cool if playing in those playsets swapped them with costumes and powers of the world they're in. If you're reading this Disney, use this for the sequel!
...I can't imagine The Lone Ranger in the Monsters University playset.

And of course the "Cars" characters wouldn't work at all in The Incredbles playset. (Or any playset but their own for that matter.)

I would also skip the Crystal Lone Ranger with how bad the movie dod you would think they would have scrapped that figure.
The figures and playsets were completed and already put into the game by the time Disney realized they had a flop on their hands...wasn't much they could do at that point.

And I'm glad they didn't, because the "The Lone Ranger" playset is the bee's knees.

...I can't imagine The Lone Ranger in the Monsters University playset.

And of course the "Cars" characters wouldn't work at all in The Incredbles playset. (Or any playset but their own for that matter.)
I understand the reasons why they aren't doing this, but I think it would be great if the sky were the limit with this game. When kids play with toys, He-Man teams up with Mr. Incredible, they hop inside Optimus Prime and save Barbie from Darth Vader.

Also, the figures will be forward and backward compatible with future game releases. Figures you buy now will work in the toy box for the next game, and figures you buy next year will work in the current Disney Infinity game's toy box. That indicates that Disney does plan to release some sort of DLC to include the character files for the new figures.

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/disney_infinity/news/disney_plans_to_release_a_new_disney_infinity_game_every_year.html
Interesting that they will have future characters work on this version of the game. There will for sure be some confusion over that for people who can't or won't download title updates (ie, patches) but I guess they figure they can handle those issues when they crop up.

But if they could do that, then they could add play sets to the current game...

I'm also very disappointed that many of the next sets are only toy box mode. Wreck it Ralph and Jack Skelington have two of the more interesting worlds. It will have to be one hell of a sale for me to pull the trigger on them.

Could this be one of the "Must Have" toys for xmas? Local stores still have a lot of stock, seems like this has kinda been under the radar. Maybe a big advertising push come Nov?
Yeah, considering that there wasn't a proper "Wreck-It-Ralph" game (just the mobile stuff and a weak Wii and 3DS game I think) it seems like they missed the boat on having that as a play set. MU makes perfect sense since there wasn't a game for that either. Same with Lone Ranger (before they realized the movie was a flop). My son loves Wreck-It-Ralph but considering we could only use him in Toy Box mode I'm not sure how much play he would get. Just today my 5 year-old wanted to play in the Lone Ranger set with Sulley. Ooops... But for sure I would preorder a "Wreck-It-Ralph" play set in a heartbeat. I have high hopes for the Toy Story one but given we already have the Toy Story 3 game, I'm not excited enough for that to preorder or anything (I'm holding out hope for a $17-$20 deal on it ;)).

Yeah, the Wii and 3DS Wreck-It-Ralph games were not good at all:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii/wreck-it-ralph

http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/wreck-it-ralph

As for the second part of your post, I don't think it has been that under the radar. The play sets seem to have sold out at Target when they were $17.50. Just like with Skylanders, the starter packs will nearly always be available. And just like Skylanders, I expect a big rush on the figures and accessories in the week after Christmas once all the kids open up their games. For those who didn't partake in that hysteria, it was shocking: stores that were chock full of figures leading up to Christmas were wiped clean in the last week of the year. Nearly all the figures were scarce (and going for quite a premium on eBay and Amazon) for nearly the entire month of January. I don't quite expect the same thing since I'm sure Disney is pumping out many more figures. Activision didn't know how big a hit Skylanders would be so they kept production moderate until they saw the hysteria.

Yeah, I hear you but I think as others have said, Disney is trying to keep the play sets "pure" with respect to their IPs.

Possibly, but then again, Disney was specifically very sensitive to avoiding having their different character brands blend. I sort of get it, if all the characters can show up in any world, it kind of dilutes the strength of each brand.

I think toy box mode is their response to that. My guess is that we see more and more world sets and the depth of toy box mode increases significantly. People keep comparing this to Minecraft, I could see it taking on more complexity as a creation tool and allowing kids to recreate more of what is present in the character levels. This is especially true when Disney Infinity 2.0 comes out on next gen hardware and will have more processing power to play with.
Indeed. But I think they are kind of stuck with Wii support going forward and you have to wonder how much the "lowest common denominator" factor will drag down the next-gen versions of the game. Hopefully they find a way to have the Toy Box mode be more expansive on PS4/One while also supporting the other platforms. Also, they need to fix the frame rate issues in split screen. It gets pretty atrocious in one of the pre-built Toy Box worlds (and I'm playing on PS3). It was giving me a headache.

I understand the reasons why they aren't doing this, but I think it would be great if the sky were the limit with this game. When kids play with toys, He-Man teams up with Mr. Incredible, they hop inside Optimus Prime and save Barbie from Darth Vader.
Yeah, I hear you (especially after my son wanted to be Sulley in the Lone Ranger story). But I guess that is the point of Toy Box mode. I'll have to try to build him something cool in that and see how far I can take it. Now that I've unlocked a lot of the western themed stuff from Lone Ranger maybe I can make something for him to essentially do that. But it will take some work, much like my LittleBigPlanet 2 level (I put over 30 hours into making one of those).

Anyone know of any upcoming deals on the Starter Set minus the Toys R Us one on Sept. 7? 

Went to WalMart today I was shocked to see the shelves fully stocked and organized. I bought one power disc pack to get the missing power discs I needed. Lucky I got the Pieces of Eight and another double of Alice's sky. All I need now is BOLT'S SUPER STRENGTH and C.H.R.O.M.E.'S ARMOR SHIELD. :)

Anyone know of any upcoming deals on the Starter Set minus the Toys R Us one on Sept. 7?

Went to WalMart today I was shocked to see the shelves fully stocked and organized. I bought one power disc pack to get the missing power discs I needed. Lucky I got the Pieces of Eight and another double of Alice's sky. All I need now is BOLT'S SUPER STRENGTH and C.H.R.O.M.E.'S ARMOR SHIELD. :)

You should waits for this weekend ad powers disc on sale at Toysrus Buy 2 for $6. Or you can re-buy & return with old receipt ;)

By "this weekend" do you mean starting with Sunday's ad?  I'm out of town (at PAX!) this weekend but if I can get to TRU later next week and get 2 for $6 I might do that to get the last 1 or 2 that I need.  Problem is I have extras so it is better to trade...

As much as I'd also love to mix and match the figures for the playsets, I totally get why they had to do it the way they did.  On top of wanting to protect the brands, being able to do so would limit them even more as to what they could do differently in each playset.  I mean, how would you row a boat in the pirates playset with Lightning McQueen?  It just wouldn't work.

Hey  Ziggygod...if your interested I have extra Bolt supper strength disc i'm looking to get rid off...If you want PM me...

As much as I'd also love to mix and match the figures for the playsets, I totally get why they had to do it the way they did. On top of wanting to protect the brands, being able to do so would limit them even more as to what they could do differently in each playset. I mean, how would you row a boat in the pirates playset with Lightning McQueen? It just wouldn't work.
What wouldn't work? I've seen Bennie the Cab drive a car.

Anyone without kids actually playing and enjoying the game? I still am on the fence about playing or just collecting..
I have kids but only one is close enough in age to play and he's already zeroed in on the Cars playset and dumped Incredibles on me. I completed the Incredibles set by myself and here are my notes:

1. Half of the mission introduce something new . That could be a car, a special move, a new type of enemy, etc. The other half are horrible escort or collection missions. Therefore half of the missions were fun because the new stuff was exciting and generally well executed.

2. The controls are great until they aren't. Most of the game plays nicely to me but some vehicles (e.g. the helicopter) and some mechanics (like locking on) are loose and cause problems as the difficulty moves up. I think most people will be surprised on how great everything feels until you finds a few things that were clearly rushed.

2. You are constantly unlocking stuff. You are either getting starts that work towards achievements, spins that unlock content in the disney vault, money to buy items from the playset toystore, or capsules that contains items for your toybox. If you like to collect things I can't think of a better game unless you are totally apathetic to Disney brands.

3. The playsets so far are commendable in their writing and voice talent. The Incredibles has Craig T. Nelson and Jason Lee which is just fantastic. While it's not suriprising they couldn't pay for Billy Crystal and Johny Depp for their respective characters the sound alikes do a good job. If you love the Disney Universe (everything from the music, themeparks, rides, etc.) then there is no better product out there for a Disney fan.

4. Half of the games strength is in the Toy Box and make no mistake it was reviewed by EVERYONE on promise not execution. Most people won't even put in the time to make interesting content but if you want to the level editor is just incredible. Reviewers all said tha it was awesome but didn't really do anything with it. Currently the sharing , browsing, visiting, and every other area of the Toy Box world is very poor. It's clear Disney intends to patch with a much more robust and better way to play. Also, there's TONS of bugs in it. If you make games like I do and plan out in detail how you want to design something you may get fed up with the bugs and roadblocks in the current version of the Toy Box.

/novel

My 3 year old loves the toys. She has tried to play for a bit but really isn't old enough yet - she can use Sully to scare the MU students but that's about it. She still likes it a lot. Part of the fun for her is putting things on the base and then watching how the characters and backgrounds on screen change.

To follow up on the issue of bugs - yeah, there are more bugs than you would like. Especially in toy box mode. This isn't your typical "character gets stuck" stuff, either. I've seen the UI disappear before while the camera was fixed with no way to move or exit without saving and reloading. I've had multiple incidents where the notifications that something new was placed on the base got stuck in an infinite loop - had to exit the game to get that to stop. Just really weird stuff.

This is not a polished game by any standard. I admit to being a snobbish gamer and I usually stick to the highly-rated stuff, so maybe I'm being too critical. But Disney was not shooting for perfection with this thing. It has frame rate issues that are probably inexcusable considering how long the 360 has been available. The menu system is uninspired and strikingly at odds with the idea of the game itself in that it's so utilitarian. Transitions are jerky and overall presentation is flat. The fact that the Disney brand is the main selling point allows this game to get away with some things that it would be dinged for otherwise.

But honestly, this game is probably more for kids, and they really don't care too much about the stuff that bugs me. They're happy to have physical toys and a good-enough game to play.

I've encountered one glitch so far in the tutorials that wouldn't allow me to complete it. (Said I did all the objectives but the game never ended it and I was stuck there wandering around until I realized this) The thing that bugs me more than anything is the camera as for a free moving one it sured does fight you a lot when rotating it.

For your budgeting purposes, here is the almost certain list of exclusive crystal figures, per the game files on the PS3 disc:

Buzz Lightyer
Captain Jack Sparrow
Lightning McQueen
Lone Ranger
Sorceror's Apprentice Mickey
Mr Incredible
Perry
Sully

Source (as posted in this thread previously): http://www.disneyinfinityfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2293#sthash.mXyuQaAx.dpbs

The files also indicate another special edition Buzz Lightyear could be available, and speculation is that it will glow.

The fact that the three pack-in characters from the starter kit will be available as crystal figures is interesting. Black Friday exclusive starter set maybe?

Every now and then I get the urge to try to track down a crystal lightning mcqueen just for collector's purposes...but... fuck, I don't need it.

Ironically, I bought my Disney Infinity Starter Kit 500 miles away from home while the girlfriend and I were on vacation. That store still has 'em left judging by the TRU website...all the stores around where I actually live...bone dry.

They're going for around $21 on Amazon...that's not terrible by any means...but again, it's just a minor color change for a figure I already have.....eh...

I check the TRU website every so often to see if the crystal Lightning McQueen has come back in stock at my local stores. I wouldn't be against getting one on the 2 for $22 deal since there are plenty of other figures I could buy with it. But value to enjoyment ratio for my kids is just too low to be paying whatever the eBayers want for it right now.

I scored a Crystal Lightning McQueen and Dash Figure for $27 shipped off ebay.

Close enough to retail price for me.

Dash was going to be exchanged till my wife decided we need them all.

So The Buy 2 Get 1 on Sunday at Target should allow us to finish series 1.

Back orders of both the Triple Packs, and both Playsets have started shipping from Amazon.

Alreay have Jack Skellington pre-ordered too.

And I have yet to fire up the game.

Just a couple more Power Discs and we'll be complete, till October :)

Damn Completionist Mentality.

Got a trade from a fellow CAG to finish my 2 sets of power discs. Checked TRU the other day for a gold pack restock (nope). All the crystal McQueens were gone. 3 days, all 3 boxes sold, it looks like. Probably have the majority of a 3rd full power disc set... If I do, I'll finish it off and then unload it on eBay about the time the series 2 set comes out or around Black Friday when the parents start spending a crap ton of money. I kept a spare Lightning just in case they go insane and I can't get my hands on one of the other crystal variants...

bread's done
Back