Dissidia Final Fantasy $32 @ Amazon After Coupon

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']While there *is* a grid to move along between battles, there's no way I'd consider this a "grid-based action RPG". It's basically a fighting game (with a unique, crappy combat system) with RPG elements.

Honestly, I was really, really disappointed in this game. The story is nonexistent (your standard "believe in your friends" BS), the music remixes are mostly trash, and most important of all, the gameplay is fairly simplistic, repetitive, and often luck-based. Oh, and the villains don't get a story mode, and they're only playable in Versus Mode, after being unlocked.

The only real things I can praise about this sloppy mess of a game are its beautiful graphics and the bevy of unlockables available. Pity you have to slog through an un-fun, shallow, repetitive game to experience the latter.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! That's what I suspected.

I have the Japanese version of Dissidia and there's a lot of misinformation going on in this thread. The "grid-based" part of the game is mainly just the leveling portion with a few item gathering. However, the core of the game is a 3D fighting game with some RPG elements. It's not really anything like Smash Bros. other than the fact that it has a mishmash of characters.

Amazon Customer Service applied this to my order...
$36.99 - $5 Coupon - $1.60 (Gold Box) - $3.20 (ECA) = $27.19

Here is what they said -
Hello,
I'm sorry this promotion wasn't applied to your order.
To correct this error, I've reduced the cost of your order by $5.00.
I hope this solution works for you. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

[quote name='OldKai']Amazon Customer Service applied this to my order...

Here is what they said -
Hello,
I hope this solution works for you. We look forward to seeing you again soon.[/QUOTE]

Nice! I will wait the 2 days to see if I can just apply it to my existing account before having to call CS.

[quote name='OldKai']Amazon Customer Service applied this to my order...

Here is what they said -
Hello,
I hope this solution works for you. We look forward to seeing you again soon.[/QUOTE]

They did this even though the coupon is not active yet?

Also, how did you get them to say it was an "error" on their part? Did you pretend you'd originally ordered using the code and they screwed something up? Or is this just a stock response?

I sent the email before I knew the coupon wouldn't be active the the 24th.

What I said in my original message:
I would like to apply the following coupon to this order -
SAVE5DIS

I cancelled my original order and the game was already in my Gold Box today:

$36.99 - (ECA) $3.70 - (GB) $1.89 - $5.00 discount. $26.44 and free release day shipping! I'm so glad the code worked today!

Since customer service applied the coupon wrong, I might cancel the order. But wonder if it's worth saving an extra 75 cents, I don't trust it actually showing up.

Awesome! I just tried again since the game appeared as one of my quick picks today and the code seems to be live already. $30.00 ain't too shabby.

[quote name='hotohori420']How do you get this Amazon Goldbox? I'd love to get this game for $26![/QUOTE]

It just appears in the "quick picks" section under the gold box deals. It changes daily and is different for each person. It doesn't seem to be tailored to your previous browsing/purchasing habits because I've had some things appear there that are WAY beyond anything I've looked at/purchased.

It's not even that much of a big difference. The quick picks are usually just a $1 or two off the regular price. For my quick pick, the game went from the regular $36.99 to $35.14. People getting it for ~$26 had other coupons and whatnot on top of the promo code sent out by Squeenix.

[quote name='OldKai']What I said in my original message:
I would like to apply the following coupon to this order -
SAVE5DIS[/QUOTE]
Thanks for posting this. I sent a similar message to Amazon and they applied the coupon, no problem.

Final price = $30.14 after $1.85 Quick Picks discount and $5.00 coupon.

[quote name='Vector']It's not even that much of a big difference. The quick picks are usually just a $1 or two off the regular price.[/QUOTE]
The Quick Picks discount is always 5%.

[quote name='bvharris']I'll send that same e-mail to Amazon and see if they can apply it.[/QUOTE]

Wow, they replied back that they applied the coupon before I could finish my coffee. Took 11 minutes. That's some damn fine customer service right there.

Getting a $40 MSRP game I was going to buy anyway for $26.44 at release is just one of the reasons I love CAG.

Bummer, it won't ship until the 31st unless I pick release date shipping. Then I'm paying the same as I would in-store. Might as well grab it at Gamestop and snag their pre-order swag.

[quote name='omyard']Bummer, it won't ship until the 31st unless I pick release date shipping. Then I'm paying the same as I would in-store. Might as well grab it at Gamestop and snag their pre-order swag.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't go so far as to guarantee it, but I'd be very surprised if it took that long to ship. The Amazon shipping estimates are vague at best in my opinion, and I've had numerous orders ship before the "shipping estimate".

$28 and change after Coupon and ECA, it sucks because this was jsut in my GB a few days ago. But still a good deal, and i trhew in HOTD: Overkill and Blow on Blu-Ray for a grand total of $56.

Got it down to $27.xx after Goldbox, ECA, and $5 coupon. Very nice!

I hope S-E releases a coupon for Kingdom Hearts 358/2!

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']While there *is* a grid to move along between battles, there's no way I'd consider this a "grid-based action RPG". It's basically a fighting game (with a unique, crappy combat system) with RPG elements.

Honestly, I was really, really disappointed in this game. The story is nonexistent (your standard "believe in your friends" BS), the music remixes are mostly trash, and most important of all, the gameplay is fairly simplistic, repetitive, and often luck-based. Oh, and the villains don't get a story mode, and they're only playable in Versus Mode, after being unlocked.

The only real things I can praise about this sloppy mess of a game are its beautiful graphics and the bevy of unlockables available. Pity you have to slog through an un-fun, shallow, repetitive game to experience the latter.[/QUOTE]

This is the exact same impression I got from the demo... you are spot on.

I will add to this that the arenas, at least in the demo, are lifeless and bland... are they FF locales? They just seem like random worlds to me... ice world, some kind of industrial place. I can tell the Moon from FF 4 is there... but the others ones just look so generic I honestly can't tell what they are, and this is from someone who has played every FF to completion. The combat just seems to be "push a button, watch a pre canned animation"... this is really an extremely shallow fighting game judging from my time with the demo.

I expected a lot more from this game, to be honest. Unless the full game is drastically different from the demo, I'll wait until this goes really cheap before I consider it. I would urge people to check out the demo on PSN that hit today before you commit any amount of money to this... I think a lot of people are expecting something completely different.

EDIT: The longer I play, the more it grows on me... so idk at this point. Maybe I was quick to judge it, I have played the demo for at least an hour + now, both normal and hard modes, probably the first time I've used the PSP at length this year. I guess I'm still on the fence.. but my comment about trying the demo still stands, regardless, I would be hard pressed to really call this a "fighting game" myself, which is why I think the initial disappointment was there because I had expected something along the lines of a basic fighter. It kind of reminds me of an extremely stripped down Powerstone.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Roufuss']This is the exact same impression I got from the demo... you are spot on.

I will add to this that the arenas, at least in the demo, are lifeless and bland... are they FF locales? They just seem like random worlds to me... ice world, some kind of industrial place. I can tell the Moon from FF 4 is there... but the others ones just look so generic I honestly can't tell what they are, and this is from someone who has played every FF to completion. The combat just seems to be "push a button, watch a pre canned animation"... this is really an extremely shallow fighting game judging from my time with the demo.

I expected a lot more from this game, to be honest. Unless the full game is drastically different from the demo, I'll wait until this goes really cheap before I consider it. I would urge people to check out the demo on PSN that hit today before you commit any amount of money to this... I think a lot of people are expecting something completely different.

EDIT: The longer I play, the more it grows on me... so idk at this point. Maybe I was quick to judge it, I have played the demo for at least an hour + now, both normal and hard modes, probably the first time I've used the PSP at length this year. I guess I'm still on the fence.. but my comment about trying the demo still stands, regardless, I would be hard pressed to really call this a "fighting game" myself, which is why I think the initial disappointment was there because I had expected something along the lines of a basic fighter. It kind of reminds me of an extremely stripped down Powerstone.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat. I don't think I'd pay more than 20 for it but I can't tell if there is a "working" underlying strategy or if its a bunch of novelties that are cobbled together to make a combat game.

I played it for about an hour my sentiments are:

-Gorgeous character models and effects and ugly and confusing arenas.
-A fundamentally mediocre targeting system
-An interesting if gimmicky direction based combat system (think Virtual On)
-Good but disappointing production values (unflashy menu design, decent music, etc.)

I really urge anyone interested in this to download the 79mb demo on the Playstation store if 30 bucks is a bit much for a PSP game these days. I waited for Crisis Core at 20 and that was the right price for me.

-

That's cool there's a demo. I'll have to try it out. Geez, Square is...I don't know, since Sakaguchi left I can't think what they've done that I've liked except Final Fantasy 12 (and even that didn't measure up to Sakaguchi's stuff, although it was still a great game in its own right).

[quote name='Wolfpup']That's cool there's a demo. I'll have to try it out. Geez, Square is...I don't know, since Sakaguchi left I can't think what they've done that I've liked except Final Fantasy 12 (and even that didn't measure up to Sakaguchi's stuff, although it was still a great game in its own right).[/QUOTE]

Well, there hasn't been another main series Final Fantasy yet, so wouldn't you have to say the jury is still out? DQIX seems to be doing quite well.

I won't deny that Square spends too much time making remakes (most of them quality) and shovelware (most of them not) in the FF franchise. But I'm not going to declare them DOA until FFXIII, which I'm sure will be fantastic. Square makes major games slowly, that's why they're so good.

The demo leaves a lot to be desired, but I'm not a huge fighting fan so it's not a real shock (though I love FF games).

[quote name='bvharris']Well, there hasn't been another main series Final Fantasy yet, so wouldn't you have to say the jury is still out? DQIX seems to be doing quite well.[/quote]

I just mean stuff *I'll* like. I can't think of anything they've done since he left except for Final Fantasy 12 that I've liked (let alone loved). Except for...

I won't deny that Square spends too much time making remakes

The PSP Final Fantasy 1 remake was awesome. Nailed the graphics and music while making them better, and streamlined it a bit. I hated what they did with the DS ones though. Uglified them, made them load slowly, etc.

But at any rate, for me FF12 is it.

Though FF13 does look really, really awesome from previews I've skimmed through. I mean I don't know if I'll like how it plays, but I *love* the graphics and what I know of the story. Sounds complex and interesting and worthy of the name.

I played the demo and I think the game is fairly fun. But personally I think I can wait it out just like I did with Crisis Core and pick it up when it is cheaper, given that Final Fantasy in the title I would expect this game to end up fairly low in price in the future.

[quote name='Roufuss'].. I think a lot of people are expecting something completely different.

EDIT: The longer I play, the more it grows on me... so idk at this point. Maybe I was quick to judge it, I have played the demo for at least an hour + now, both normal and hard modes, probably the first time I've used the PSP at length this year. I guess I'm still on the fence.. but my comment about trying the demo still stands, regardless, I would be hard pressed to really call this a "fighting game" myself, which is why I think the initial disappointment was there because I had expected something along the lines of a basic fighter. It kind of reminds me of an extremely stripped down Powerstone.[/QUOTE]
Sounds like Ehrgriz. Everyone HATED that game, but the more I played it, the more I began to enjoy it, despite how cheesy it was.

I'm downloading the demo now. Does the Demo work on CFW or would I need to use an official PSP? (No, I don't do illegal things with my PSP -- rip my own PS1 games!)

[quote name='plutoknight']Sounds like Ehrgriz. Everyone HATED that game, but the more I played it, the more I began to enjoy it, despite how cheesy it was.

I'm downloading the demo now. Does the Demo work on CFW or would I need to use an official PSP? (No, I don't do illegal things with my PSP -- rip my own PS1 games!)[/QUOTE]

Demos work on CFW, but sometimes it doesn't. You have to go into boot menu and turn off an addon.

Also picked this up for $28 Code+ECA. :D

[quote name='Wolfpup']I just mean stuff *I'll* like. I can't think of anything they've done since he left except for Final Fantasy 12 that I've liked (let alone loved). Except for...[/QUOTE]

I didn't even like 12... it just seemed so very dry... I thought I'd hate the battle system, but it was fine - instead it was the plot that bored me.

I was worried I'd suck at this game (Dissidia), since I suck at any fighting game. But I have no trouble beating anyone in the demo (hard or easy), so either they made the demo really easy or the game is just really easy. Don't know if that will help anyone else. But yeah already preordered, thanks for the code.

-[Unknown]

I thought the plot was way worse than Sakaguhi's stuff, but still way better than average for Japanese RPGs (or compared to Square's other stuff). Compared with...everything else they've done without Sakaguchi I guess :whistle2:/

[quote name='fatdragondzc']Demos work on CFW, but sometimes it doesn't. You have to go into boot menu and turn off an addon.

Also picked this up for $28 Code+ECA. :D[/QUOTE]Ah yes thank you got it working!

..........Very very cool. I'm not sure if its the attack names showing up in the proper menu-styles, the use of great music, or the fact that Kefka did, indeed, kick the shit out of me while I was playing Sephiroth.....I want this game.
It's pure fan service, and I loved every minute of it!

Thanks OP!

[quote name='Legendbyname']pre ordered it up for $26.44. SO many discounts!!

ECA + Amazon coupon + gold box discount + prime = :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Got the same discounts as well! Sweet deal, especially with the 10 song soundtrack.

[quote name='cmart05']I don't understand the gold box discount how does that work?[/QUOTE]
Sign in and click "Today's Deals" at the top. Scroll down and you'll see 5% off "Quick Picks" deals. Somewhere between 1 and 9 deals are randomly selected every day. They mostly come from your recommendations but sometimes stuff off of your wishlist or completely random stuff will show up. If you want to manipulate what's going to show up, trim down your recommendations list.

For those interested, it did get an 8 from Eurogamer which is one of the more critical sites out there (I sure wish there was an equivalent in the US).

Between that and the the ridiculous amount of extra content not covered in the demo, this looks like one of the better PSP games from a content standpoint if you like FF and or combat games.

And it also comes with a CD from Amazon or some extra case covers from Gamestop, if you decide covers are worth the extra cash.

bread's done
Back