Do we really need a Paul Bearer Memorial Thread? Ohhhhhhhhh Yeeeeessss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thw internet is weird. Found out about this by Jeff Gerstmann retweeting Jerry Lawler.

He seemed like a really decent guy from the shoots I've seen and other people's comments about him.

Definitely one of the corniest/best wrestling names ever. And most fun to imitate. Back in middle school I won some dumb WWF hat at a house show for participating in a "Paul Bearer soundalike" contest that took place in the ring during intermission.

Memorial thread time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, and he was looking a lot better weight wise, thought he was doing great. That's just sad.:(

His Paul Bearer character was always one of my favorites, he just sold the character so well.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']A lot of people have problems from gastric. My uncle died from gastric bypass complications.
Indeed sad. Heartbreaking.[/QUOTE]

As did Mass Transit. A man whose wrestling career was way too short.

That would put me in tears. After the tribute video plays, either Taker and/or Kane should walk out onto the stage and kneel or do whatever. No words necessary.

[quote name='Tsel']That would put me in tears. After the tribute video plays, either Taker and/or Kane should walk out onto the stage and kneel or do whatever. No words necessary.[/QUOTE]

1. Why would you cry about someone you dont know?

2. Why would you ADMIT to crying over that on the internet. This isnt just to you, it seems to be the "cool" thing to do on the internet now. Tell how stuff makes you cry. I dont get it. A family member dying should make you cry, not a tv personality.

3. Taker and Kane should make out afterwards. No words necessary.

[quote name='musha666']1. Why would you cry about someone you dont know?

2. Why would you ADMIT to crying over that on the internet. This isnt just to you, it seems to be the "cool" thing to do on the internet now. Tell how stuff makes you cry. I dont get it. A family member dying should make you cry, not a tv personality.

3. Taker and Kane should make out afterwards. No words necessary.[/QUOTE]

Number 3 makes me think you're trolling, but the other two make me think you're an idiot. Is there some unwritten rule that says when I'm allowed to cry and when I am not? I'm sorry I'm not ashamed of when something is sad enough to make me cry. I'm not going to hide my emotions to anyone, let alone anyone over the internet. A family member dying would make me cry, but so would someone I watched on TV week in and week out growing up. You become attached to these characters. Sorry I'm not a super tough dude bro.

It shouldn't surprise me to see "tuff guyz" coming out of the woodwork during a celebrity's death (A-list or Z), but it always does.

2. Why would you ADMIT to crying over that on the internet. This isnt just to you, it seems to be the "cool" thing to do on the internet now. Tell how stuff makes you cry. I dont get it. A family member dying should make you cry, not a tv personality.[/QUOTE]

I guess when Honey Boo Boo dies in a few years, you'll know how it feels.

[quote name='Tsel']That would put me in tears. After the tribute video plays, either Taker and/or Kane should walk out onto the stage and kneel or do whatever. No words necessary.[/QUOTE]

Sadly, if they were to do something like this the dipshits that make up creative would say something like "Hey lets get even more cheap heat for Punk and send him out to shit all over this!"

[quote name='Spyder187']Sadly, if they were to do something like this the dipshits that make up creative would say something like "Hey lets get even more cheap heat for Punk and send him out to shit all over this!"[/QUOTE]

When it comes to stuff like wrestler (or in this case, manager) deaths, they handle it with kid gloves... so I'm sure this was on some of their minds, but wasn't ever a viable option.

[quote name='HydroX']When it comes to stuff like wrestler (or in this case, manager) deaths, they handle it with kid gloves... so I'm sure this was on some of their minds, but wasn't ever a viable option.[/QUOTE]

I would like to agree, but lets look at recent history. The Lawler return and what they decided to do with punk and Heyman that night. Yeah, i know King prolly signed off on it but still, it doesn't give me much hope.

Also, in an attempt to add some humor to today's darkness, here is something i saw on PWI a little while ago.

Marty Jannetty will be hosting a seminar at the Elks Lodge in Pompton Lakes, New Jersey on May 4th, 2013 from 3:30 to 5:30 PM. The participation fee is $30.
30 friggin bucks to go sit in a stale, musty ass Elk's Lodge in Jersey of all places, to listen to Marty Jannetty stories? I would rather give 5 bucks to Lonely Virgil to hear some old Million Dollar Man stories.

I fucking bawled when Owen died. Never met the guy but he was one of my favorites. To go out like that was senseless and tragic. And I felt gutted for his friends, family and loved ones who said what a great guy he was. So that's why people cry when people they don't know die.

Cried when Eddie died. Same fucking reasons.

I cried for people who lost their lives in 9/11, for the kids whose parents died.

I cried when the Newtown school shooting happened for the innocent lives lost and the people who have to make sense out of something that doesn't.

Is that enough reason for you or do I need to go on? You heartless dick.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']It shouldn't surprise me to see "tuff guyz" coming out of the woodwork during a celebrity's death (A-list or Z), but it always does.[/QUOTE]

Someone's gotta pick up the slack since gargus got banned.

[quote name='Spyder187']I would like to agree, but lets look at recent history. The Lawler return and what they decided to do with punk and Heyman that night. Yeah, i know King prolly signed off on it but still, it doesn't give me much hope.[/QUOTE]

The difference in this situation is that Moody isn't there to laugh off the angle. If King had died, they wouldn't have done that segment. Well, if King had stayed dead, because technically he did die.

The only time I can think of them handling a death poorly would be Eddie's. The whole "Eddie's dead" angle was received with such negativity that I don't think they'd dare attempt something like that now.

[quote name='Spyder187']30 friggin bucks to go sit in a stale, musty ass Elk's Lodge in Jersey of all places, to listen to Marty Jannetty stories? I would rather give 5 bucks to Lonely Virgil to hear some old Million Dollar Man stories.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure it's nothing but two hours of "I hate HBK" stories to boot. PU.

[quote name='Scorch']The difference in this situation is that Moody isn't there to laugh off the angle. If King had died, they wouldn't have done that segment. Well, if King had stayed dead, because technically he did die.

The only time I can think of them handling a death poorly would be Eddie's.[/QUOTE]

Lest we forget some heel I don't remember saying to Animal and Heidenreich "oh, that's right, Hawk's not here, HAWK'S DEAD." Or Edge ripping on Hayes by taunting him about Gordy being dead.

I dunno if those count as "handling a death" since I don't believe either was with WWE at the time, but they definitely aren't above using real death for a cheap reaction.

That said...no way they do anything like that with Bearer, at least thus week. It'll probably just be the usual middle of the show tribute video.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Lest we forget some heel I don't remember saying to Animal and Heidenreich "oh, that's right, Hawk's not here, HAWK'S DEAD." Or Edge ripping on Hayes by taunting him about Gordy being dead.

I dunno if those count as "handling a death" since I don't believe either was with WWE at the time, but they definitely aren't above using real death for a cheap reaction.

That said...no way they do anything like that with Bearer, at least thus week. It'll probably just be the usual middle of the show tribute video.[/QUOTE]

That was a different time period, too. I don't think they were PG at the time (they obviously weren't during the Heidenrape era).

They'll be respectful with Moody because I believe he's always been on good terms with Vince and Co. as far as I can recall.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Lest we forget some heel I don't remember saying to Animal and Heidenreich "oh, that's right, Hawk's not here, HAWK'S DEAD." Or Edge ripping on Hayes by taunting him about Gordy being dead.[/QUOTE]

That Edge promo was memorable just for the fact that he was allowed to tell Hayes the only reason he was out there was because someone told Hayes that Edge had a bottle of Jack and an eight ball. That's a long ways off from JBL is poopy.

[quote name='mykevermin']Corny: "I had a rat jump on me one night (in the sportatorium)..."
Percy: "two-legged or four-legged?"

I lol'd. RIP, Percy.[/QUOTE]
Have you watched the video where they discuss Sunny? I never would have thought she and Bearer had any relationship at all, let alone that they hated each other that much. It's hilarious though, if for no other reason that Cornette is so inappropriate...:lol:

Thanks for the video, guys. Clak, I have not seen that video. I don't think I ever heard Bearer *ever* badmouth anybody else in wrestling.

Most of those covers look okay, but the one for WM 8 is almost ridiculous. HBK shouldn't be the most prominent guy on the cover. He was in the largely forgettable curtain-jerking match with El Matador. If anyone else should be featured, it should be Piper/Bret from the IC title match.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Most of those covers look okay, but the one for WM 8 is almost ridiculous. HBK shouldn't be the most prominent guy on the cover. He was in the largely forgettable curtain-jerking match with El Matador. If anyone else should be featured, it should be Piper/Bret from the IC title match.[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping they do 16-20, but I'm guessing they won't due to Chris Benoit or something. There's a good chance that XV will be unblurred.. this would be great as XV isn't the easiest DVD to find. XVI and XVII are hard as well. X8 is difficult but not nearly as hard to find as XV-XVII.

For what it's worth, Highspots just flooded Amazon with older ECW PPV's for $14.99. They're printed on DVD-R's though.. apparently they're official releases licensed through RF Video. There's a lot of events that have never been available or aren't cheap, including Massacre on 34th Street, which I don't think I've ever seen available. These appear to be printed on demand via Amazon, so they might not go out of stock any time soon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/main/r...0HQ&isAmazonFulfilled=0&seller=A3HCMGCPAMF2GZ

Search for ECW.. they've also got a lot of 5 dollar wrestling

Myke - Didn't know that about AJ. Don't really care about the prostelytizing Christian bit, the name calling is unfortunate. I think me knowing some lovely people from Alabama is what got my attention.

Regarding Paul Bearer, very sad news. I don't think I ever really thought it was a possibility but if Taker's last match (whenever it happens, maybe it already has) should have consisted of him being led to the ring by Bearer.

I saw the listings for the Amazon WM DVDs. If they wind up releasing box sets of them unblurred/unedited (at least to a greater degree), they'll get money from me. I need to read some reviews before I bite on anything though.

Thanks for the video, Clak.

Scorch, if they are "unedited" DVDs, I'm going to buy the bloody lot of them as soon as possible. I'm pretty sure I unloaded my old WM DVD box set (I'll have to check, frankly, I don't recall). Now I sure hope I did!

I have friends in AL, too, Halo. Not fair of me to malign that state, you're totally right. Given what happened to Marco McMillan this week, I picked the wrong state at any rate - but even that's out of line to joke about.

Listening to the Meltzer/Alvarez show about Bearer from yesterday. Cool story about how after he initially got cut from WWE he went back to the funeral business, and he'd occasionally get people coming in to set up services and they'd be shocked that Paul Bearer was the guy who would be handling it. He said it was a decent icebreaker to sort of lighten the mood for the grieving family.

Hoping for a Brothers of Destruction reunion paying tribute to Paul Bearer for this upcoming RAW episode. Maybe Mick Foleyt in his Mankind persona and Vader can join in the mix as well since these 4 wrestlers superstars were managed by him.

Very tragic of what happened. Rest in Peace William Moody.

I feel a bit sad i sold all my wrestling videos! But wrestling was at it's best back when paul bear was walking to the ring with the undertaker

I think the best tribute that Undie can do for Paul would be to pull out the urn from his coat/hat/shawl thing and raise it high during his (what I presume to be a) long walk down the aisle against Punk in Wrestlemania.

For those interested in the ECW DVD's, I e-mailed highspots and asked what was up:

RF Video has a license which allows them to sell the entire ECW library (not counting the WWE version of ECW). Therefore, all the TV/PPVs are as they aired, just sold under the ECW licensing agreement. ECW also shot Fan Cams, which is completely different, those were live house shows that only they shot. We sell all those. Anything that is an ECW Fan Cam is noted as ECW Fan Cam. If its not noted as Fan CAm, they are not Fan Cams. Thanks

Uh oh. That's.. extremely tempting

They need to put that stuff on USB drives and sell them. I would buy them by the yea- Oh wait, RF Video. Feinstein. Nevermind. I cannot support a pedophile. Dang it.

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up, Scorch. Good work.

[quote name='Chase']They need to put that stuff on USB drives and sell them. I would buy them by the yea- Oh wait, RF Video. Feinstein. Nevermind. I cannot support a pedophile. Dang it.

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up, Scorch. Good work.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. This trumps getting some wrestling videos by a country mile. Pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back