Does anyone miss the old days?

repetske

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The whole thread about beating games multiple times reminded me of the good old days when I used to only get 1 game every 1 or 2 months and played them to death. Now it seems like there is some fairly big release every week and I've barely gotten into one game and another comes out. Then the horrible stacks of games start, then shelves, and finally boxes as a new generation of systems is out and I still have games wrapped in plastic from the previous generation. I miss playing The Legend of Zelda all the way through and then starting right over to do the second quest. I even once played through 2 complete seasons of Major League Baseball Featuring Ken Griffey Jr. on my N64, and now I haven't finished a season of Madden 2005. I'm sure I'm not alone here. Just wondering when it really started to go down hill for everyone else. I would have to say it all started with the Dreamcast for me and now CAG doesn't help as far as limiting purchases. Thanks CheapyD.

Yeah I kind of do. Sometimes, even when I like a game, the game is so long that it seems like homework to try and finish it before I get the next game.

I used to play old-school platformers (Megaman 2 and 3, Duck Tales, Bionic Commando, etc) over and over. They only took like 5-10 hours to beat, at most (form the first time you played them. Obviously once you get good you can do it in 1-2 hours).

I feel your pain, I haven't completed a game multiple times in years, since secret of mana was out I believe.

It kind of stinks having a job and being able to buy whatever games interest you, you just can't appreciate 1 game as much

What really spoiled me was piracy in the 80's. When I could easily assemble a collection of every single Atari 800 game in existence, good or bad, it destroyed the novelty of getting a new game forever after. I've long since sworn off piracy but I remain jaded and tend to acquire vastly more games than I will ever fully play because it's so easy to get them cheap and I can't help wanting to see everything. It's like only watching the highlights of movies and never sticking with one long enough to really get into the story.

I had a day off yesterday, and played through the 8 boss levels of Megaman 2,4,5, and 6. All while having a sealed Tales of Symphonia sitting next to me. Those games will never get old.

[quote name='danh920']It kind of stinks having a job and being able to buy whatever games interest you[/quote]

Just wait until next hardware generation when retail stores will once again proudly advertise "everyday low price $49.99" (or higher) for all their new system games. There won't be much in the way of deals on those new games for a while, nothing like this generation for a year or two.

The one thing that I miss is games that don't require 20+ hours to beat.
When I think back about the older games, the majority of good games were games you could sit down and play entirely through within an hour or two. The games were good because they were simply fun.

its pretty much impossible for games to not miss "the old days" if they played games for over 10 years. we all loved gaming for what it was, but its changed...alot

theres nothing we can do about it, but at the same time, those old games are still there for us, some of them as good as ever.

I was just thinking of this. I'm trying to play Final Fantasy XI right now, but I'm finding this game to be a real chore. Everything is designed to drag the game out forever (and since you pay $12 a month for it...) and it's not as fun as other RPGs.

I do miss the days of fun gameplay...short games with endless replayability rock!

I don't miss the old days at all. Then again I still play my Atari 2600 and NES frequently (probably more than my XBox, Gamecube or PS2). I NEVER left the old days.

Occassionally I will whip out the Saturn, Genesis, SNES, 3DO, etc. and play some Nights, Sonic, some SNES RPGs and some Guardian Wars just to appreciate how great gaming was and how much it has changed (both good and bad).

Yeah I guess I do miss the old days. In some ways I don't, but in most ways I do.

I totally am with you about the "stacks of games" being unplayed. I have about 20 games in my collection right now that I haven't finished, some I've barely played. 6 of those are N64 games, and in those 6, 3 of them I've had for 3 years and have never really played. Heck in the past month I've gotten about 10 games.

My problem isn't really the new releases, it's I wait until they are all $20 or cheaper and then buy like 3 at a time. That catches up to me. Plus I went on an "old school spree" the past 2 years where I bought up lots of cheaper NES, Super NES,and N64 games.

I think part of my "longing" for the old days is because I grew up during the NES era and so I have very fond memories. I remember renting a game on Friday nights and playing it all weekend, and back then all my friends were into video games. Now only a handful are, most gave them up long ago except maybe for the sports titles.

I do miss the old days, though a GBA re-release of Castlevania 2 would help...

I miss the crappy 2600 port of pacman. In hindsite it was terrible but at the time it was awsome. I was reminded of this recently playing Paper Mario for GC and hearing a sample from that game...

Or some of the old games, you *couldn't* beat. I got Defender for the Atari 2600 for a birthday, and played it from like 9 at night till 6 in the morning. Didn't beat it, went back and played it later that day.
Oh yeah, I remember buying that PacMan for the 2600 for like 40 bucks from Eckerds [I don't know why they had games, but they did. They also had a tube tester.] Did you ever do that trick where PacMan could go straight up and down the middle of the maze, through the walls?
Anyway, in a way the information overload we have now between the internet, tv channels, magazines, etc, are helping us to be more picky about our games. Back then, if I got a game, even if it wasn't great, I still played it, because you got one game every couple months and there was virtually no way to resell or return the games [unless you had a friend you could swap with.] So you had a bit of cognitive dissonance going on; you wouldn't waste the time and money on a bad game, so obviously it had to be at least somewhat playable. And of course since there are such great deals and mass availability of games, we have higher standards as to what makes a 'good game'.
I do miss the old days in a way, many of the game certainly had crappy graphics or bugs, but they were still *fun*, versus some of today's tech demos. There was also quite a bit of variety in the games of that era.
But there are certainly benefits to today's gaming--the information, the prices, the competition, reselling, and while good graphics can't replace good gameplay, it can certainly make it more enjoyable/enveloping.

[quote name='ResidentialEvil']I remember renting a game on Friday nights and playing it all weekend, and back then all my friends were into video games. [/quote]

Man do I hear that. I distinctly remember renting Faxanadu with my best friend on Friday night (for a sleepover :) ) and staying up all night until we beat it at like 6 am the next morning. Just taking turns playing while the other guy would help navigate or interpret clues or make food or whatever.

Ah, to be in 6th grade again (or however old I was).

Sure, I think we all miss the good ol' days sometimes. It's called nostalgia. Bittersweet memories of the past. Half of you remembers the good times you had playing it, but it's kinda sad thinking you'll never really be back there again.

But those days are now gone...I definitely miss renting a new game every weekend, and playing the hell out of it. I do miss the days where secrets were found on your own, not by going on a message board, clicking a misleading topic title and having it spoiled for you...Or not having FAQs to help you, no matter how tough the going got.

I miss being broke, and having every game I purchased be something I cherished. I'd milk every hour I could out of a game I saved up for; for starters, I had to get a lot of hours out of it, because it was going to be a while before I got a new one, and second because it just felt justified. When you've got less of something (less money), it's more valuable to you. So I made sure I got all of the value out of the game...

Still remember the first time I experienced my own gaming system. My dad's friend brought me this big box. I opened it up, and I saw a Nintendo and probably a dozen games. Zelda. Super Mario Brothers. Iron Tank, and plenty more, too. These are games I can still remember playing back 14 years ago. When I end up playing these games today, I wonder what makes me want to play them more: the fun factor, or the nostalgic rush they bring to me?

[quote name='punqsux']its pretty much impossible for games to not miss "the old days" if they played games for over 10 years. we all loved gaming for what it was, but its changed...alot

theres nothing we can do about it, but at the same time, those old games are still there for us, some of them as good as ever.[/quote]

I think the problem in the change is that games are becoming more like movies: long, sweeping storylines that may be impressive but can take forever to get through. Really, why do we need a gigantically complex plot for a platformer?

We need to see more games where the fun of playing is more important than the story being told. This is probably why Katamari Damacy is so popular - it's just fun to play. Who plays the game as a quest to fix the king's drunken blunder? I don't know about you, but I play to roll things up into a giant ball. :)

Look at some of the most popular games from the past few years - The Sims, Wario Ware, Bejeweled...none of those games have a driving storyline. The gameplay is the focus.

Unfortunately, now that the line has been crossed, we aren't going back. We're seeing fewer and fewer simple games now, and I fear that the number will keep shrinking...

I definitely remember the days before the Internet and even game guides. Finding all the secrets was SO much more satisfying.

I remember finding the last warp zone in Super Mario Bros (the one in world 4-2) - one of my proudest gaming moments ever.

I also remember when my friend accidentally discovered the continue code for Super Mario Bros (something like holding down A on controller two when you hit start). We were so amazed and couldn't figure out what he did (in fact, we never duplicated it, as it was an accident).

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus']
I think the problem in the change is that games are becoming more like movies: long, sweeping storylines that may be impressive but can take forever to get through. Really, why do we need a gigantically complex plot for a platformer?

We need to see more games where the fun of playing is more important than the story being told. This is probably why Katamari Damacy is so popular - it's just fun to play. Who plays the game as a quest to fix the king's drunken blunder? I don't know about you, but I play to roll things up into a giant ball. :)
[/quote]

One of the best things about Katamari Damacy is also that I can just turn it out and play it for like 10 or 15 mins. I don't even bother to try to play games like GTA:SA unless I can set aside at least 1-2 hours.

I hear you backlash. I only play a few games lately because i know if i start playing them i would need to sit down for a few hours and play them(Kotor2)
But you can always appreciate those fun simple games like Ms. Pac man. For Christmas i got the ms. pac man joystick. You can pick it up play for 10 minutes and it is pure fun.

Yeah, I feel the same way. But I don't binge buy anymore, I only buy after I beaten the last game I bought. I know it's exciting to play all the new games, but the games aren't going anywhere, so I can wait to get them.

ahh..memories.

Back in the day, I would get 1 (2 if I was lucky) games a year, and I still played games all the time. I was about 6 when I had my SNES and my parents would only buy a game for my on my bday, some years I got one on xmas as well. But those games would never get old. All my friends had SNES's too so I could trade with them for a few weeks.

I do enjoy alot of the new games, but I think I don't play them because I don't have enough time. Most of my games need at least a good hour to get started. Most of my time is spent playing fun multiplayer games like Mario Tennis, Phantasy Star Online, Katamari Damacy, Amplitude, etc.

My older games are great just to pick up and play. No long opening sequences or intro dialogue. Just straight into the game.

I definitely remember the days before the Internet and even game guides. Finding all the secrets was SO much more satisfying.

Wow, I remember looking for secrets in the original Zelda, back before faqs/walkthroughs were available. I think I eventually burned every bush and bombed every rock in that game.

I like all of the generations about equally..they all have their plusses and minuses.

I do miss that feeling of completely exploring a game. Nothing is stopping me from doing so now though, just a matter of self control. I finally did so with PoP: SoT..it was great to recapture that feeling again.

Yes, the good old days :). When a game would last me for months and being to swap games at school so I can play a different game at least every week. Also going to my local store and playing double dragon and shinobi arcade machines.

Well until i found CAG i was buying about one game a month or less. So i guess i miss the time when i was able to take my time with a game and not have another one waiting to take its place. But then, since i only play good games, i guess i can't complain too much. :D

Sad but true. I do miss those old days. I'll always remember the day I got FFIII and my brother and I literally camped out in my room for a week playing it straight, leveling up and taking turns battling. Also, the Marios were all magical. :cool: I think it all went downhill as soon as I got married and have kids. My brother, who is single, still calls me to tell me how great this and that game is he just played ( I usually have them all sealed on my shelves) but I just never have time to play any of them. Also I think it's good that some games nowadays are short and some long. With the Internet, my computers, DVD's, having a Tv in every room, wife, etc... I have no time to play long games anymore (play, I still buy them of course :wink: ) Plus it's not magical now that we all have money to buy whatever we want. Part of the magic was persuading your parents that they should spend money on a game for you to spend more time in front of the TV that they hated you watching. Plus if we still played as many games we wouldn't be able to bitch about it on CAG :!:

I miss the old days too. I miss my Colecovision (stopped working after a basement flood) and the heated competition of the 16-bit era.

That's why I'm building a MAME cabinet - so I can recapture some of the fun without having to have nine machines hooked up to the family room tv (not that my wife would let me do that anyway) :)

nearly all of my gamecube, PS2, Playstation games are still sealed.

I am still playing my SNES and N64 games. And even some of those I have not gotten too and are still sealed.

Chris

[quote name='MaxBiaggi3'][quote name='danh920']It kind of stinks having a job and being able to buy whatever games interest you[/quote]

Just wait until next hardware generation when retail stores will once again proudly advertise "everyday low price $49.99" (or higher) for all their new system games. There won't be much in the way of deals on those new games for a while, nothing like this generation for a year or two.[/quote]

I have a feeling that I will not be an early adopter . . . I'll have sooo many from this generation to play that I'll wait at least a year.

Short attention spans, ADD, society in general, clearance sales.

All factors leading to the demise of enjoyable games. Violent games are up because its what keeps people interested nowadays. A good story and great gameplay arent profitable enough for companies to bother with anymore, since people get bored of a game (or dont play long enough to get into it) since they can buy another game for $5. I myself have lots of games, RPGs mostly, that I havent finished, or even opened yet. All because it takes too long to play through.

How many times can you honestly say you played through a game, say MGS SOL collecting those damned dogtags. I didnt bother going through the second time. I try to pass the games the first time through 100 percent. If I really like the game, maybe I will go through a second time, but most of the time, the games are too long, especially RPGs. I wish companies would make only make a game long if it was enjoyable the whole time, not because you have to level up (yes, it is a boring chore).

bread's done
Back