Dollhouse Friday Nights on FOX at 9pm est-Update 10/24

[quote name='neocisco']Yeah, it was fun to watch Helo vs. Apollo. Bring in Boomer and Starbuck for a mixed tag match! :lol:[/QUOTE]

We're gonna have to settle for Helo vs. Tigh in episode 3 it looks like.

[quote name='neocisco']"If the old man wants the frakkin' Dollhouse shut down then that's what I'll frakkin' do!"[/QUOTE]

Deadbolt that frakkin' Dollhouse!

That's the exact same voice with which I talk to my cat "Gaius Frakkin' Baltar"

That's right, my cat is named Gaius Baltar.

[quote name='bvharris']Deadbolt that frakkin' Dollhouse!

That's the exact same voice with which I talk to my cat "Gaius Frakkin' Baltar"

That's right, my cat is named Gaius Baltar.[/QUOTE]

That's both funny and disturbing.:lol:

Just read on SciFiWire.com that Summer Glau is going to be on this show now. Maybe this wont get canceled like the other shows she has been on.

Caught up with the show this past week and I'm enjoying it again. Been keeping up with the newer episodes on Fox and Hulu. I hear the ratings are tanking though so I'm not sure if the show will last. And I need to see Epitaph One since I heard it's good.

Yeah, I need to find the DVD for Epitaph One also. I've seen it at some Costcos for $29.99 and Walmart is supposed to have it for $28.XX, but I can't find it at any Walmart by me, so I might just go to BB and them PM the website as it says that stores around me are supposed to have it (maybe they ran out or something).

Ok so i saw the dvd a month or 2 ago and loved Epitah One and all the bonus stuff.
Still loving the show and Whedon Alum Summer Glau will be on this week as another dollhouses Topher. Should be fun. And hopefully they will keep to their word or some Amy Acker Action.

Cant wait

http://tv.yahoo.com/dollhouse/show/...llhouse-off-november-sweeps-schedule-20091022

Bumping this because, wow...FOX is retarded. After promising Joss Whedon that despite low ratings, they would air all 13 episodes they ordered this year, apparently FOX has now decided to pull Dollhouse off the schedule for the entire November sweeps period. It's supposed to come back in December, but yeah...what's the point? They completely botched the handling of this show.

Exactly what I said would happen happened. Why even bring it back if you're just going to stick it on Friday nights...AGAIN, and expect good ratings...AGAIN. They either needed to move it to a different night, or lower their expectations. It's not like people aren't watching it because it's a bad show. They're not watching it because they have better things to do on Fridays.

Have they not paid any attention to the fact that Ugly Betty and Law & Order got MOVED to Friday because they've been underperforming. That's where you put shows to die, not start new shows out. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Also, thanks to their retarded handling of shows, Fringe is doing horrible this year. Last I heard, viewership was down 35% because they actually thought it was ready to compete with Grey's Anatomy and Survivor. :roll: Fringe and Dollhouse, Tuesday nights. THAT was the winning formula. Way to go, FOX. You suck again!

Barring something substantial it looks like Dollhouse is being put out to pasture. Since this thread has been dormant for 3 weeks, though, I doubt too many other people care at this point.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Fox-Pulls-Dollhouse-1011126.aspx

The networks will be pulling out all the stops for November sweeps, but Dollhouse will be nowhere to be found.
Fox has pulled the Joss Whedon drama from its November schedule entirely, according to Entertainment Weekly.

The series will return in December, with back-to-back episodes on Friday nights. Beyond that, it's unclear, but it doesn't look good.
Do you think this means sci-fi series is doomed to cancellation after its current 13-episode order?

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Now that, my friends, was the absolutely best episode of The Dollhouse yet.[/QUOTE]

It was indeed fantastic. Unfortunately, this amazing show is now pretty much all but canceled. Hopefully they'll have time to bring it to a satisfying conclusion when it comes back in December.

I would just still like to know what Fox expected by bringing it back on Friday nights. They could put freaking American Idol on Fridays and its numbers would drop drastically.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I would just still like to know what Fox expected by bringing it back on Friday nights. They could put freaking American Idol on Fridays and its numbers would drop drastically.[/QUOTE]

This is what they expected. They don't care.

[quote name='bvharris']This is what they expected. They don't care.[/QUOTE]

Haha, so why don't they just show all commercials on Friday night? Why bother paying for any programming? Just sell ad space.

So some much need info fans.
I made this thread and glad you all like it as much as i do.

Heres some news I just got.
The show may get cancelled, it is still not official yet.
But what is oficial is they have ordered all 13 episodes of season 2 to be aired.
Whether or not there will be more is unclear.

Also for all you Whedons fans like me look for Summer Glau to join the cast on Dec. 4th. She will be playing a Topher-like person from another Dollhouse but from the clips she seems a lil crazy.

To the surprise of exactly no one, Fox announced today they've canceled Dollhouse:

http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/11/dollhouse-canceled.html

At the very least they're going to let its finish its 13-episode run (which by my count would be nine more episodes).

I'll miss this great show just like I missed Firefly when it was axed. If Joss Whedon ever does another show for Fox, he's just a glutton for punishment.

[quote name='bvharris']To the surprise of exactly no one, Fox announced today they've canceled Dollhouse:

http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/11/dollhouse-canceled.html

At the very least they're going to let its finish its 13-episode run (which by my count would be nine more episodes).

I'll miss this great show just like I missed Firefly when it was axed. If Joss Whedon ever does another show for Fox, he's just a glutton for punishment.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I just was about to post the same thing myself. I'm sorry, but FOX is fucking retarded for the way they handled this show. I seriously don't even see why the show was brought back. What was the purpose??? They put it back on the same shitty night, gave it 4 episodes (during the MLB playoffs, no less), and then just gave up on it? This season was doomed from the very beginning (one could argue that the entire show was doomed from the beginning).

In case anyone is wondering, SyFy (eww...I still fucking hate that) has tweeted that they won't be picking it up. I'm getting so sick of network television. It feels like all there is room for these days is reality TV and crime dramas....well, and I guess hospital shows take up a good chunk as well. I'm fully expecting Fringe to get canceled next since its numbers have been down as well.

Oh well, it sucks that it got canceled. It is really hard to find a good Sci-Fi show on TV these days. SG:U is garbage so far, no Star Trek, V only has a few episodes and will be on hiatius for awhile. I know that Dollhouse is not hardcore Sci-Fi but it was fun to watch and my Sci-Fi list is getting so small I have no idea what to watch now. Warehouse 13 is ok, kind of a light hearted X-Files and no more Sarah Connor Chronicles along with no more Battlestar Gallactica. What is a Sci-Fi fan to do? Wait for Caprica so Sy-Fy can cancel that in a couple years and do a spin off of that like they have been doing with Stargate and BSG?

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Yeah, I just was about to post the same thing myself. I'm sorry, but FOX is fucking retarded for the way they handled this show. I seriously don't even see why the show was brought back. What was the purpose??? They put it back on the same shitty night, gave it 4 episodes (during the MLB playoffs, no less), and then just gave up on it? This season was doomed from the very beginning (one could argue that the entire show was doomed from the beginning).

In case anyone is wondering, SyFy (eww...I still fucking hate that) has tweeted that they won't be picking it up. I'm getting so sick of network television. It feels like all there is room for these days is reality TV and crime dramas....well, and I guess hospital shows take up a good chunk as well. I'm fully expecting Fringe to get canceled next since its numbers have been down as well.[/QUOTE]

Really? Would you rather they had just cancelled it after one season? You got a whole second season which Fox is planning on showing all of. What did you expect them to do? Put a show proven to have subpar ratings on a more competitive night of TV?

This the problem with internet TV fans. As soon as something gets cancelled it's immediately the channel's fault. They took a show that did not especially succeed and gave it a second chance, and it continued to disappoint. The internet is such a damn crybaby.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Really? Would you rather they had just cancelled it after one season? You got a whole second season which Fox is planning on showing all of. What did you expect them to do? Put a show proven to have subpar ratings on a more competitive night of TV?

This the problem with internet TV fans. As soon as something gets cancelled it's immediately the channel's fault. They took a show that did not especially succeed and gave it a second chance, and it continued to disappoint. The internet is such a damn crybaby.[/QUOTE]

Look, from a fan's perspective, of course I'm happy to have 13 more episodes. But there's no reason this series couldn't have been successful. My opinion is that if handled properly, this show could have been right up there with Fringe in terms of ratings (before Fox botched the handling of Fringe this year, that is).

You act like the poor ratings were a result of bad writing when that wasn't the case at all. The show has mostly had positive reviews, but the numbers have just been weak. Why do you think that is? Maybe because Fox put it on a night when most people are away from their televisions?

Pay attention to any of the other networks and you would see that most of them MOVE shows to Friday night when they are doing poorly. Saying that Fox gave Dollhouse a "second chance" by putting it back on a bad night for all of TV and only airing 4 episodes is a little ridiculous.

If you want to defend Fox and their handling of shows, be my guest. It's not like they have any track record of mishandling and canceling good series... (that was sarcasm if you couldn't tell) And lastly, don't assume you know jack shit about me or my qualifications for criticizing a television network. I've got a Bachelor's degree in Electronic Media & Broadcasting, so believe it or not, I do know a little bit of what I'm talking about.

n8, are you smart enough to counter-program with cheaper shows during the current Thursday night gauntlet?
If so, you're overqualified to be a Fox exec.

[quote name='bvharris']I'll miss this great show just like I missed Firefly when it was axed. If Joss Whedon ever does another show for Fox, he's just a glutton for punishment.[/QUOTE]

Oh, he will. I mean, didn't he say he'd never do Fox again THE LAST TIME? It seems Fox is the only one of the big four who will even bother with him.

He'll be back. On Fox -- he's too big for the CW or MyTV.
His fans, all of them, will watch.
Fox will once again realize "All of his fans" can't sustain numbers.
Fox will, in a pure business move, cancel his series again. He might get a third season as a quasi-"We're sorry for Dollhouse," much like Dollhouse's second season was just "Hey, sorry about Firefly."
And when it's canceled, everyone will be back on the internet, doing what they do best, hating Fox.

Few people realize that not much that Whedon writes could compete with something like The Office or NCIS, but that's what Whedonites expect is supposed to happen.

He's not a bad writer (I'm a fan), but the cultlike following he has doesn't seem to understand that. What's worse, they think they do.

[quote name='Davestation']Oh well, it sucks that it got canceled. It is really hard to find a good Sci-Fi show on TV these days. SG:U is garbage so far, no Star Trek, V only has a few episodes and will be on hiatius for awhile. I know that Dollhouse is not hardcore Sci-Fi but it was fun to watch and my Sci-Fi list is getting so small I have no idea what to watch now. Warehouse 13 is ok, kind of a light hearted X-Files and no more Sarah Connor Chronicles along with no more Battlestar Gallactica. What is a Sci-Fi fan to do? Wait for Caprica so Sy-Fy can cancel that in a couple years and do a spin off of that like they have been doing with Stargate and BSG?[/QUOTE]isn't Warehouse on hiatus right now? if you're gonna count hiatus shows isn't Eureka on hiatus at the moment?

[quote name='Iron Clad Burrito']Oh, he will. I mean, didn't he say he'd never do Fox again THE LAST TIME? It seems Fox is the only one of the big four who will even bother with him.

He'll be back. On Fox -- he's too big for the CW or MyTV.
His fans, all of them, will watch.
Fox will once again realize "All of his fans" can't sustain numbers.
Fox will, in a pure business move, cancel his series again. He might get a third season as a quasi-"We're sorry for Dollhouse," much like Dollhouse's second season was just "Hey, sorry about Firefly."
And when it's canceled, everyone will be back on the internet, doing what they do best, hating Fox.

Few people realize that not much that Whedon writes could compete with something like The Office or NCIS, but that's what Whedonites expect is supposed to happen.

He's not a bad writer (I'm a fan), but the cultlike following he has doesn't seem to understand that. What's worse, they think they do.[/QUOTE]

I'm hardly a Whedonite, I wasn't a big fan of Buffy or Angel. But him bringing Dollhouse to FOX had little to do with being "too big" for another network. Buffy, by far his biggest success, aired its entire run not on a major network (WB/UPN, which were far less prominent than even the CW is now). From what I understood, the decision to bring Dollhouse to FOX had everything to do with the fact that he wrote the series specifically with Dushku in mind, and she was under contract with the network.

I don't think it's a stretch at all to say that FOX mishandled the show, but I also don't think that's a surprise to anyone. The reality is that most sci-fi shows are never going to succeed on major networks. Look what's happened to Fringe this season, despite the fact that its gotten even better. Look at the trend of Lost viewership over the years. V almost certainly won't maintain its strong initial audience after the long hiatus. People might be curious and check out sci-fi shows, but they're always going to return to the bland comfort of cop procedurals and reality tv.

My hope for Whedon is that he's willing to accept the smaller operating budget which would come with doing a show for one of the cable networks, so that he can really get the time to actually finish one of his shows which doesn't involve killing vampires.

It's over. What a shocker.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Dollhouse-Cancelled-1011926.aspx

Fox has canceled Joss Whedon's Dollhouse, TVGuide.com has confirmed.
The sci-fi series, which stars Eliza Dushku, is currently filming its 11th episode and will complete its 13-episode order.
Though Dollhouse saw a ratings bump from DVR viewing after a grim performance in the fall, Fox pulled the cult favorite from its November-sweeps schedule after four episodes.
Fox pulls Dollhouse off November sweeps schedule
Whedon took to his fan site to post the following:
"I don't have a lot to say. I'm extremely proud of the people I've worked with: my star, my staff, my cast, my crew. I feel the show is getting better pretty much every week, and I think you'll agree in the coming months. I'm grateful that we got to put it on, and then come back and put it on again.
I'm off to pursue internet ventures/binge drinking. Possibly that relaxation thing I've read so much about. By the time the last episode airs, you'll know what my next project is. But for now there's a lot of work still to be done, and disappointment to bear."
A source close to the production told TVGuide.com that Fox will air the remaining episodes starting Dec. 4 and that the series finale is tentatively scheduled for Jan. 22.

I just read about this on scifiwire. Atleast from what they say Fox is going to let him give it an ending. I never got around to watching the second season but the first one was geting better after each episode. Did the show just go down hill from season one?

Im a huge WHedon fan and FOX is starting to just f*** up shows nowadays.
They give tons of promo for American Idol, SYTYCD, House.
But wheres the love for SciFi shows like Dollhouse and Fringe. Its like they dont care anymore.

Its just sucks that you cant find good scifi shows that you wanna watch.

Theres always Legend of the Seeker for classic sword and socecery fans.
And Supernatural if its makes another season which it may not.
Its like all scifi shows are going to the dogs.
Shows that might be cancelled.

Smallville
Dollhouse
Supernatural
Eastwick

Good shows that went before there time.
The 4400
Sarah Conner Chronicles
Merlin
Firefly
Tru Calling
Painkiller Jane

you want to be careful just throwing Seeker around. that's a very polarizing show. the only show i can think of that started out worse than Seeker is Better of Ted.
i swear after that first episode I nearly swore to never watch another
. it's gotten better and personally I'm ok with the changes but a lot of people still hate the show.

4400 should never have been a series. it was supposed to be a miniseries and it was perfect in that capacity it only sucked when they tried to stretch it out afterwards. it's like the Matrix at the end people were too lame to understand the 'open' ending
Matrix 1, and Season 1 of 4400

I would think at this point Smallville must be getting weak. I never watched it but even with the forking license I can't imagine the show works all that well w/o Luthor.

This sucks since I really enjoy the show but we all knew this would happen sooner than later since it airs on Fridays.

Smallville has gone like 30 seasons now purely based on the fact that the guy who plays Superman is somehow always in some sexual peril.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Really? Would you rather they had just cancelled it after one season? You got a whole second season which Fox is planning on showing all of. What did you expect them to do? Put a show proven to have subpar ratings on a more competitive night of TV?

This the problem with internet TV fans. As soon as something gets cancelled it's immediately the channel's fault. They took a show that did not especially succeed and gave it a second chance, and it continued to disappoint. The internet is such a damn crybaby.[/QUOTE]

If Fox saw enough in the show to bring it back for a second season, then why didn't they try and advertise it as such? Fox had little to no advertising, and what little advertising there was passed off the show as a comedy. I'm not saying it may have made a difference or not, but it's not unreasonable to blame fox for their mishandling of the show.

On the plus side they have two more episodes to film so maybe we'll get a proper ending to Dollhouse, unlike Firefly. And Whedon mentioned "internet ventures" so maybe that means more Dr. Horrible once production is finished -- always a good thing.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']If Fox saw enough in the show to bring it back for a second season, then why didn't they try and advertise it as such? Fox had little to no advertising, and what little advertising there was passed off the show as a comedy. I'm not saying it may have made a difference or not, but it's not unreasonable to blame fox for their mishandling of the show.
[/QUOTE]

This has always confounded me. The show was pretty poor in the ratings last year, had good dvr numbers, but was certainly worthy of cancellation based on the typical things which networks cancel shows based on. And yet it was renewed. I always thought for one of three reasons:

1) They felt like they owed it to Whedon after Firefly (unlikely)
2) They realize the show was good and decided to keep it despite low ratings (even more unlikely)
3) It's FOX, who knows why the fuck they do the things that they do.

Nothing about the basic calculus of the show has changed this year. It's still terrible in the ratings (which FOX knew it would be from the moment it premiered), it still has relatively strong DVR numbers, and it's actually even better. And yet they wasted no time in canceling it.

I mean, FOX set the show up from the beginning to fail. It did fail, and yet they renewed it. They set it up to fail again in its second season, and it failed again, and this time they canceled it. I'll never really understand the second season pick-up given the circumstances, I just I should just consider myself lucky.

[quote name='adriley313']
Shows that might be cancelled.

Eastwick[/QUOTE]

Too late on that one.

[quote name='bvharris']This has always confounded me. The show was pretty poor in the ratings last year, had good dvr numbers, but was certainly worthy of cancellation based on the typical things which networks cancel shows based on. And yet it was renewed. I always thought for one of three reasons:

1) They felt like they owed it to Whedon after Firefly (unlikely)
2) They realize the show was good and decided to keep it despite low ratings (even more unlikely)
3) It's FOX, who knows why the fuck they do the things that they do.

Nothing about the basic calculus of the show has changed this year. It's still terrible in the ratings (which FOX knew it would be from the moment it premiered), it still has relatively strong DVR numbers, and it's actually even better. And yet they wasted no time in canceling it.

I mean, FOX set the show up from the beginning to fail. It did fail, and yet they renewed it. They set it up to fail again in its second season, and it failed again, and this time they canceled it. I'll never really understand the second season pick-up given the circumstances, I just I should just consider myself lucky.[/QUOTE]

My only guess is that maybe Fox was giving in to the "massive" amount of emails/letters/calls they "might" have gotten about keeping Dollhouse on the air. I don't know how many people might have tried contacting them about it if any , but maybe Fox figured it wouldn't hurt to take the chance and see if the show would do any better in the numbers a second time around. Even if they knew it probably wouldn't.

Personally I feel kinda bad not watching the show , but since I'm not part of a Nelson house I know that whether I watch the show or not (not just this but any show) really doesn't make a bit of difference , which is partly why I haven't been watching most seasons of shows any more when they are on. I either watch them online or pick them up on dvd.

[quote name='javeryh']I would like to see Whedon create a show for HBO.[/QUOTE]

im still waiting for them to do that Angel movie. at the very least they should look into animating the angel and buffy comics like how they did with spawn only alot better than that spawn series was. man i miss angel that was a hell of a show i even bought the complete series run. damn just checked amazon the complete buffy set is going for 166 bucks!!!! i would have thought itd have gone down by now hell angel went up too.

I just saw the other thread on the front page. I didn't even know it was still open and just assumed it was locked after the first season. Why was this one even started? A mod should just merge them.

[quote name='bvharris']I mean, FOX set the show up from the beginning to fail. It did fail, and yet they renewed it. They set it up to fail again in its second season, and it failed again, and this time they canceled it. I'll never really understand the second season pick-up given the circumstances, I just I should just consider myself lucky.[/QUOTE]

Very well said. This was basically my bewilderment too. Unless you change some variable in the equation, how can a reasonable person expect things to go any differently? And if they're not going to go any differently, why bother? And the fact that Fox canned it after only 4 episodes makes it seem like they were half-heartedly committed to this season anyway.

I mean, if they were going to move Fringe to compete with the big boys on Thursday nights, why not try Dollhouse in Fringe's old timeslot? You've already had sci-fi fans tuning in on that night at that time. Maybe it could jumpstart Dollhouse. There just seems like so many things they COULD have done to get the numbers they wanted out of this show.

But maybe all the reality programming has made Fox lose any and all sense of creativity. It's like they've forgotten how to actually sell a show to the audience, and they've been spoiled by society's sick obsession with seeing people embarrass themselves.

[quote name='Wolfkin']isn't Warehouse on hiatus right now? if you're gonna count hiatus shows isn't Eureka on hiatus at the moment?[/QUOTE]

I know that Warehouse 13 did its first season and have no idea if it got renewed. Never cared much for Eureka or Sanctuary or Doctor Who. I heard that Eastwick got cancelled as well but never watched it. Its just hard to find a good Sci-Fi show. Journeyman was a show that started off good than got really lame and than got good again and cancelled. Bionic Woman was just garbage from the start that got cancelled. It seems that new Sci-Fi shows have only a one to two year life cycle on network tv. It seems that this genre may be dead? I still have one more Dollhouse on my DVR to watch sometime this month to hold me over until next month when the other shows are on.

I watched episode 1 of season 2 and it was really, really, really, really bad

I mean Season 1 was bad, but sort of enjoyable-bad, episode 1 of season 2 was the worst television i've seen in years

Blame timeslots for any cancellation you want, fact is the show just sucks balls

[quote name='Koggit']I watched episode 1 of season 2 and it was really, really, really, really bad

I mean Season 1 was bad, but sort of enjoyable-bad, episode 1 of season 2 was the worst television i've seen in years

Blame timeslots for any cancellation you want, fact is the show just sucks balls[/QUOTE]

Oh shut up, you enjoy Heroes. :razz:

But Heroes doens't wanna be a soap opera when it grows up.. well, okay, sometimes it does, but still

In the Dollhouse season 2 premiere that scene with nerd boy and scar girl was seriously the worst thing that has ever been on my television.. she gets all whiny and emo and there's a dramatic pause before he shouts "BECAUSE YOU'RE BETTER THAN ME" for no reason, wtf

it feels like they took the scripts of 15 different shows, maybe 5 of them soap operas and 10 of them terrible sci-fi movies, then mixed and matched lines from those scripts at random

bread's done
Back