Dominos Pizza Japan - Lunch with CheapyD

you should of got an achievement bling and had a popup(i know alot of work) Achievement Unlocked-Recieved pizza -15G ; Exact Change- 5G...

but nonetheless it was funny ui hope to see more of these..

lol i remember watching a show on the history of pizza and some guy would get real upset whenever someone mentioned pizza that had something on it other than cheese and pizza.

This video was worth it just because of some of the funny replies in this thread, thanks for the laugh guys.

[quote name='CheapyD']Both of those were a joke.[/QUOTE]

It's a shame you must point out the fact that it's just a bad translation.

$15 bucks is a lot for such a tiny pizza. You can get a small pizza like that here for $5. So even if you paid for delivery+tip it would still be cheaper.

[quote name='CheapyD']The pizza was probably about $15 after coupon.
There is no tipping in Japan.[/quote]

My sister would fit right in!

Once, she gave our local delivery boy a $.50 tip

[quote name='davidmt']I've never heard of corn on a pizza.[/QUOTE]
It's a normal topping for almost everything here, as is mayonnaise. Mayonnaise is the Japanese ketchup.

LOL - So random in places

Nice Subtitles

That Pizza actually looks really good. I wish American Pizza had Corn and Broccoli as Topping options.

CheapyD,

Where'd you get the What's your gamerscore? t-shirt? I'm guessing it's a promo that I can't get ahold of, but I thought I'd ask.

T

Edit: Oh, and I have a pizza place across the street that always has a a special on pepperoni, black olive, and sauerkraut pizza. It's quite good, I get it everytime I go over there.

That pizza looked absolutely disgusting. Corn and broccoli? Not to mention the cheese looked all funky... Also, $15 for that? It was like 3 bites of pizza!

[quote name='CheapyD']The pizza was probably about $15 after coupon.
There is no tipping in Japan.[/quote]
I always wanted to move to Japan but that one would tip me over the edge to move there! In Canada if you don't tip 10% the fucking Waitress will come back and slap the change u left her in front of you.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']That pizza looked absolutely disgusting. Corn and broccoli? Not to mention the cheese looked all funky... Also, $15 for that? It was like 3 bites of pizza![/quote]
U think that's expensive? Order 2 slices of Pizza Hut in Germany which costs about 7 Euros. The slices are as big as that what Cheapy got from Dominos!

[quote name='E*Master']In Canada if you don't tip 10% the fucking Waitress will come back and slap the change u left her in front of you.[/QUOTE]
And I'd applaud her for it too! I never tipped below 15% in America unless the service was abysmal. Food prices are higher here in Japan anyhow, so it's almost like you're tipping anyways.

Ok Cheapy, I remeber Wombat calling you a "Walking Jewish Stereotype" I think you have proved this otherwise with these lunch with cheapy videos. In both, you eat ham. No I may not know much about Judaism, but I thought pork products are a no-no.

Ok Cheapy, I remeber Wombat calling you a "Walking Jewish Stereotype" I think you have proved this otherwise with these lunch with cheapy videos. In both, you eat ham. No I may not know much about Judaism, but I thought pork products are a no-no.

I'm pretty sure he's mentioned he's a nonpracticing Jew (or if he didn't, I came to that conclusion on my own like a jerk). I mean, he's living in Japan. I doubt there's lots of Jewish temples to frequent on the Sabbath.

Then Wombat cant really call him a walking stereotype. I was raised Catholic but I don't practice at all. I am nonreligious now .

Hey Cheapy, I was just curious, how long are you gonna live in Japan for?? Great video BTW ! :applause:

[quote name='linkpwns']My sister would fit right in!

Once, she gave our local delivery boy a $.50 tip[/quote]

Your next pizza from that place had the special pube topping after that tip. Pizza delivery people never forget a cheap tip.

[quote name='atomsk']$15 bucks is a lot for such a tiny pizza. You can get a small pizza like that here for $5. So even if you paid for delivery+tip it would still be cheaper.[/quote]

well from what i understand japanese normally eat in smaller portions than americans, hence the fewer sales of wide load bumper stickers if you know what i mean.
i bet if you were born and raise in japan that pizza would look huge to you.

The instant thing that made me laugh was Cheapy had to bend over to look through the peephole, haha you're like a giant there.

and lastly that pizza looked awesome, you guys really shouldnt knock it till you've tried it.

[quote name='supraazn']i bet if you were born and raise in japan that pizza would look huge to you.[/QUOTE]
No, that was definitely just a small pizza, even by Japan's standards.

How much is a large?

Also, Japan doesnt happen to have some sort of xl sized pizza, something they name a King Kong or maybe Godzilla?

[quote name='Link927']How much is a large?

Also, Japan doesnt happen to have some sort of xl sized pizza, something they name a King Kong or maybe Godzilla?[/quote]

Aha Godzilla....:D

[quote name='Link927']How much is a large?

Also, Japan doesnt happen to have some sort of xl sized pizza, something they name a King Kong or maybe Godzilla?[/QUOTE]
Larges are anywhere from $25 to $35, typically, depending what you get on them. A few friends and I ordered a seafood pizza (shrimp, squid, and scallops - delicious) last week for a party I was throwing, and that was about $35-ish. Pizza is not cheap in Japan! Heck, most food isn't.

No Godzilla pizza that I've found, no. Heh.

Hmm, interesting, you'd think they would name a pizza size Godzilla >_>

Hey Kirin, how long have you been living in Japan? I believe you're a English teacher, correct? How did that happen?

[quote name='Link927']Hmm, interesting, you'd think they would name a pizza size Godzilla >_>

Hey Kirin, how long have you been living in Japan? I believe you're a English teacher, correct? How did that happen?[/QUOTE]
I've only been here for about a month and a half so far, but I'll likely be here for a few more years provided all goes as planned. I am indeed an English teacher, stationed at Ashiya Senior High School (the "Beverly Hills" of Japan, supposedly - I lucked out with my placement), which is about a 15-minute train ride from Osaka City. Things have been awesome so far, and my coworkers and students are pretty cool.

As for getting the job, I applied through the JET Programme, which places college graduates in teaching positions throughout the country. I definitely encourage anyone with an interest in Japan (and those that can handle a serious teaching job) to apply - the pay is great, and the job isn't all that difficult. JET is sponsored by the Japanese government, but there's another program known as NOVA which does something similar, though I've heard they're not quite as prestigious.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']As for getting the job, I applied through the JET Programme, which places college graduates in teaching positions throughout the country. I definitely encourage anyone with an interest in Japan (and those that can handle a serious teaching job) to apply - the pay is great, and the job isn't all that difficult. JET is sponsored by the Japanese government, but there's another program known as NOVA which does something similar, though I've heard they're not quite as prestigious.[/quote]

Heh, you talking about JET makes me remember all the hijynx I've read about this one guy who did the same thing. It was at www.outpostnine.com / www.gaijinsmash.net if your curious. So Kirin, do you have any crazy or interesting stories to tell us about your students?

And as for the video... I saw that pizza and it did NOT look good. Sure, this is coming from a guy that really doesn't like olives or broccoli, but I can appriciate a good lookin pizza. But watching the video made me remember something I heard a few years back. Are there really vending machines with fresh corn pizza inside in Japan? Also, Cheapy, can you eat that whole pizza in one sitting?

[quote name='Chronis']Heh, you talking about JET makes me remember all the hijynx I've read about this one guy who did the same thing. It was at www.outpostnine.com / www.gaijinsmash.net if your curious. So Kirin, do you have any crazy or interesting stories to tell us about your students?[/QUOTE]
Nope, nothing too out of the ordinary yet. Though everyone keeps talking about how I look like Harry Potter (brown hair and glasses, basically - oh, and handsome too!), and I'm fairly sure that some of the girls are already planning their weddings to me. I'll be sure to start a thread if something crazy happens, you can count on that.

I love this video , it cracked me up ( In My Opinion the best part was the Bow Cam) , Cheapy Your so tall! No Offense but the little peep hole is Japan Size...

Cool stuff Cheapy, I just watched the video on YouTube and I've been meaning to subscribe here so I went and did it!

My friend spent a few months in Japan teaching English at NOVA and when he came home he took a menu from a Japanese pizza place. I still can't belive the ammount of weird stuff they put on it.

Being born and raised in New York, I don't think I would even try it.

I think Cheapy D got an unworthy half-ass bow because I don't think that guy was Japanese. His accent was kind of strange. Maybe a gaijin.

Lol, I liked how you had to bend over to look through the peephole. You should just make another one higher up so it's easier on your back.

Hey Cheapy and Kirin, long time lurker here. This might be off topic but, I just wanted to ask how much it cost per month to live in japan? Including rent, food, transportation. Im planning to visit Japan soon, and I was hoping to get some first hand advice rather than just visiting and reading guides from websites. Im not flashy, but I do want to live in a comfortable, safe area (either rent an apt or hotel) and I dont wanna be too cheap on food (i wanna enjoy and savor all the great delicacies that japan has to offer). I also want to go visit around the tourist sites (temples, hot springs, and other tourist hot spots). And lastly, I want to be able to buy some souvenirs (FF stuff, clothes, etc.) So...can you guys give me a ballpark on how much I would spend or start saving up? From the price of that pizza alone, im saying that I should have atleast 5k. Thanks in advance! Also, I hope you can forgive me for threadjacking :)

Wasn't it something like 1367 yen or something around that? That's what I heard, more or less :p

And Kirin, please mention any crazy things you encounter there, like Cheapy does. I'm planning on studying abroad in Japan next year (hopefully, if I'll have enough financial support, which a big concern, obviously).

[quote name='boozi']Wasn't it something like 1367 yen or something around that? That's what I heard, more or less :p

And Kirin, please mention any crazy things you encounter there, like Cheapy does. I'm planning on studying abroad in Japan next year (hopefully, if I'll have enough financial support, which a big concern, obviously).[/QUOTE]
Haha, 1367 yen is about what I spend on a decent-sized lunch here. I'll type up a more detailed post when I get the time in an hour or so - I'm working on some teaching materials for my classes right now.

[quote name='shyguy0383']Hey Cheapy and Kirin, long time lurker here. This might be off topic but, I just wanted to ask how much it cost per month to live in japan? Including rent, food, transportation. Im planning to visit Japan soon, and I was hoping to get some first hand advice rather than just visiting and reading guides from websites. Im not flashy, but I do want to live in a comfortable, safe area (either rent an apt or hotel) and I dont wanna be too cheap on food (i wanna enjoy and savor all the great delicacies that japan has to offer). I also want to go visit around the tourist sites (temples, hot springs, and other tourist hot spots). And lastly, I want to be able to buy some souvenirs (FF stuff, clothes, etc.) So...can you guys give me a ballpark on how much I would spend or start saving up? From the price of that pizza alone, im saying that I should have atleast 5k. Thanks in advance! Also, I hope you can forgive me for threadjacking :)[/QUOTE]
Okay, where to begin...

First of all, the exchange rate right now is about 118 yen to the dollar - that should give you a rough estimate of what you're looking at spending in American dollars when I start talking about how much everything costs in yen.

Hate to break it to you, but an apartment is going to be out of your league unless you're looking at living in Japan on a more permanent basis. Most landlords require key money, which can be up to several times a normal month's rent. I live in a pretty rich town, and I'm fortunate to only be charged about 40000 a month - apparently my school subsidizes the cost, which is actually closer to 70000. Hotels aren't exactly cheap either, but with enough searching (browse the travel books for recommendations) you may be able to find something within your price range. An acceptable, and cheaper, alternative to a hotel would be a ryokan (Japanese-style inn), which is what I used when I stayed in Tokyo many years ago. Kimi Ryokan in Ikebukuro (a Tokyo suburb) was around $60 a night, if I remember correctly. Youth hostels might be up to a fourth of that cost, but that'll mean you'll be sleeping in a room with other people - probably not a good idea if you want to "live comfortably". If that's still too much for you to handle, I suggest you start making some friends over here and beg for a place to stay.

You can probably enjoy a few decent meals on about 3000 yen a day. I spend far less than that, since I like to cook at home most of the time, and lunches at my school are reasonably priced. The going rate for eating out in Japan can range from about 700 to 1500 for an average meal, depending on what you're hungry for. Ramen and curry are near the bottom of that spectrum, with nicer pastas and varied meals near the top. I wouldn't shoot for too many extravagant "delicacies" (2000+) unless you're looking to waste money on food when it could be better spent on other things.

Tourist stuff, let's see... An average train ticket will cost you about 200 yen per trip. Of course, if you want to travel across the country by shinkansen (bullet train), you're looking at the possibility of spending up to 20000 on a one-way ticket. Visitors have the option of getting a rail pass (apply before you come) that gives you unlimited access to shinkansen and JR lines for roughly $500, so if you want to do lots of travelling, I suggest going that route. I spend 1100 yesterday for an hour-long ride to check out Himeji Castle yesterday with some friends, which was worth every penny (so to speak)! My vice-principal gave me free tickets, but I think admission was 800 yen or something along those lines. If you're looking at checking out some temples, some have free admission, others (the big touristy ones) might be 500 yen or so. Souvenirs will vary depending on your spending habits. I once dropped $500 in one weekend in Akihabara, but that was unusual for me. My spending habits on little unnecessary things vary so much from week to week based on my activities that it's hard to ballpark it.

My first trip to Japan was in the late summer of 2000, for three weeks, and including airfare and a rail pass I think I spent around $4500 - that might be the best rough figure of all, I guess. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Ooooh thanks Kirin, thats extremely helpful. You're right about the apt...there is no way i can afford that, but the Ryokan sounds like a really good suggestion. I would want to stay in youth hostels only if im rooming with girls :) (sorry...that movie Hostel came into mind...well i want something like that...less the killing though). As for food...I LOVE RAMEN!!! But I wanna try new things from japan like Okonomiyaki (sp?) and Takoyaki and all that good stuff that we dont have here in America...like Pepsi Cucumber and Final Fantasy potion. As for making friends....Im trying to get some of my friends to come along with me and explore japan. One of my friends is half japanese and have relatives there...I have relatives there too but I havent talked/seen them in ages. As for the cost...if its below 10k, Its definitely doable...this will be my last vacation before I start working full time as a nurse so I need to make it count.

P.S. I really want to try that japanese toilet...I think thats the first "furniture" im going to buy once i get my own place.

[quote name='shyguy0383']As for food...I LOVE RAMEN!!! But I wanna try new things from japan like Okonomiyaki (sp?) and Takoyaki and all that good stuff that we dont have here in America...like Pepsi Cucumber and Final Fantasy potion.[/QUOTE]

You're in luck - okonomiyaki and takoyaki are both pretty cheap, about the same as a bowl of ramen. Pepsi Cucumber has already disappeared from the market, and though Potion is set to make a brief comeback, I can't imagine that'll be around for long either. Still, there's always tons of new, strange stuff being introduced, so who knows what you'll find when you finally get here.

bread's done
Back