Dragon Age II - Gen. Discussion and Info - Mark of the Assassin DLC 10/11 800 pts.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Kudos for the ME2 reference in the title.[/QUOTE]
Thanks, I thought I'd have a little fun with the whole "Dragon Effect 2" thing that everyone's so concerned about with this game. :)

New Joystiq preview. It's somewhat similar to the IGN rogue preview but with some interesting notes on the overall structure of the game (it sounds like... wait for it... Mass Effect 2) and the role of Morrigan in the future of the franchise.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']ETA: BioWare Legends page. They're taking signups for a beta test. The game's logo is hilarious-- an axe that has a sword blade for a handle. Where are you supposed to hold on?[/QUOTE]

Lol, that's awesome. Hawke's badass enough to grip it by the blade and decapitate foes with the axe head.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']New Joystiq preview. It's somewhat similar to the IGN rogue preview but with some interesting notes on the overall structure of the game (it sounds like... wait for it... Mass Effect 2) and the role of Morrigan in the future of the franchise.[/QUOTE]

Nice preview. It sounds like they're fixing a lot of things that bothered me about the first one (I only got 35 hours in and then got distracted, so i never finished). In the first one, it seemed like mages were an instant "I win the game" class. Sounds like all classes aren't going to be like that.

I'm at a crossroads though. Do I buy the game on release like I did with DA:O? Or do I wait for the eventual GotY/Ultimate edition. I heard a lot of the DLC for Origins was kind of subpar and I don't feel like spending $5-$7 a pop for each one of them. It would bring the total cost of the game close to $80-$90, depending on how much content is released and at what price. Not sure I want to wait so long for an ultimate edition though....decisions, decisions.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']I'm at a crossroads though. Do I buy the game on release like I did with DA:O? Or do I wait for the eventual GotY/Ultimate edition.[/QUOTE]Just make sure that if you do decide to get it on release, you preorder before January 11. No reason to leave free content on the table.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Crap is it to late to get the newsletter deal?[/QUOTE]
Last I heard, the offer was going to expire at the end of October. Might not hurt to try though.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Last I heard, the offer was going to expire at the end of October. Might not hurt to try though.[/QUOTE]

I'll give it a go when I get home.

Interesting screen shot posted on the BioWare forums, could possibly depict the entire playable party, or a good portion of it. Potential spoilers I guess.

cap30.png

From left to right:

1. Unknown male elf
2. Varric
3. Unknown male human warrior
4. Isabela
5. Another male warrior?
6. Hawke
7. Bethany Hawke
8. Unknown male mage (there is some speculation that this could be Anders from Awakening)
9. Aveline

Interestingly, no Carver Hawke. It initially seemed like either Bethany or Carver would survive the intro sequence and join the permanent party, but not both, though other screenshots seem to show both Bethany and Carver alive.

If that's not Anders it's either a brother or Bioware being lazy in doing new characters as that is a spot-on lookalike for Anders, closer than Isabella looks from her Origins look.

Personally I would love to see some Origins DLC characters feature in DA2. Especially Ariane and Finn, who were by far the best elements of the otherwise somewhat lame Witch Hunt DLC. I wouldn't object to seeing more of the universally awesome Awakening cast either.

Wait....Isabella was in in DA:O? I haven't been keeping up with the DA2 news like I do most games, so I don't know her story.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Wait....Isabella was in in DA:O? I haven't been keeping up with the DA2 news like I do most games, so I don't know her story.[/QUOTE]
She was a minor NPC that you could meet in the Pearl brothel in Denerim. She's mostly notable because the Warden could have sex with her in exchange for teaching you a class specialization. There were also some pretty funny dialogue exchanges you could get if you made the sex offer with your LI present-- Morrigan got extremely jealous, while Zevran and Leliana were down for some group action.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']She was a minor NPC that you could meet in the Pearl brothel in Denerim. She's mostly notable because the Warden could have sex with her in exchange for teaching you a class specialization. There were also some pretty funny dialogue exchanges you could get if you made the sex offer with your LI present-- Morrigan got extremely jealous, while Zevran and Leliana were down for some group action.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's who I thought she was after I thought about it some more. Thanks for the clarification. Feel sorry for Hawke.....lots of freaky elve's banged his lady.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']A Combat Walkthrough video is now up:

Dragon Age 2 Gallery[/QUOTE]

Interesting stuff.

They also put up some info on a new male elf character, Fenris, who looks like he might have accidentally wandered off the set of a Final Fantasy game and wound up in a WRPG instead. How much do we want to bet that this dude is a love interest for the females? :)

screenshot-08-fenris-p.jpg

screenshot-09-fenris-p.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAgFFti9kkQ

YT version of the new vid for those having issues convincing their video players to play the movie file. I must admit I am pleasantly surprised to the say the very least. Still not quite sold on some of the over-the-top Power Ranger-esque maneuvers of the characters yet but I can get over it. I feel a little more comfortable making this a day one purchase now. I just wish Laidlaw had bothered to mention which difficulty was being showcased in the walk-through because if the length is being cut down I certainly don't want to breeze through it ME2 style.

At first glance Fenris definitely appears to fit the 'Thane' mold of DA - a fresh slab of romance bait for DA:O fan girls everywhere. If he's anything like Zevran he'll die or get kicked out of my party in every single one of my profiles sans the eventual throwaway for achievements. Since they won't allow us to play as an elf though and he's here I dare ask where the hell is our female version?

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Interesting screen shot posted on the BioWare forums, could possibly depict the entire playable party, or a good portion of it. Potential spoilers I guess.

cap30.png

From left to right:

1. Unknown male elf
2. Varric
3. Unknown male human warrior
4. Isabela
5. Another male warrior?
6. Hawke
7. Bethany Hawke
8. Unknown male mage (there is some speculation that this could be Anders from Awakening)
9. Aveline

Interestingly, no Carver Hawke. It initially seemed like either Bethany or Carver would survive the intro sequence and join the permanent party, but not both, though other screenshots seem to show both Bethany and Carver alive.
[/QUOTE]

So many people have clicked on that photo bandwith has exceeded. :)

I'm thinking maybe if you have a male character Bethany survives but if you're a female then Carver survives.

[quote name='MSUHitman']
I'm thinking maybe if you have a male character Bethany survives but if you're a female then Carver survives.
[/QUOTE]
I was thinking something similar based on class (if you roll a warrior or rogue, you get Bethany; if you roll a mage, you get Carver), but there are shots in the trailers that BioWare has released that seem to show both character alive at the same time, and not during the Lothering escape intro sequence. So there may be something more complicated going on.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']
I was thinking something similar based on class (if you roll a warrior or rogue, you get Bethany; if you roll a mage, you get Carver), but there are shots in the trailers that BioWare has released that seem to show both character alive at the same time, and not during the Lothering escape intro sequence. So there may be something more complicated going on.
[/QUOTE]

There honestly isn't because you've hit the nail precisely on the head. The devs confirmed your exact scenario a week or so ago. GoW Hawke gets Beth and FF Hawke gets Carver; no exceptions. Not a fan of Bioware making the decision for me as I doubt either character (or their absence for that matter) is THAT detrimental to whatever game long mission Hawke is part of but who knows. I would have preferred the option to keep them both in exchange for losing a future potential member myself. It would have made for a great dynamic but if you're planning multiple playthroughs it's not a deal breaker. So long as they intend to keep their word on giving us up to two members of each class who aren't complete tools I'm content.

Strategy guides are available for pre-order both on Amazon and Gamestop (online and I'm assuming in-store also.) Also remember you have to preorder before the 11th (so the 10th is the last day) to get the Signature Edition (ie only CE the game will have.) That offer is only Amazon/Gamestop.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Also remember you have to preorder before the 11th (so the 10th is the last day) to get the Signature Edition (ie only CE the game will have.) That offer is only Amazon/Gamestop.[/QUOTE]
Thanks! I was planning to post a warning today since there is one week left to order the CE.

In other news, some Dragon Age II avatar gear has hit the XBL Marketplace.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Strategy guides are available for pre-order both on Amazon and Gamestop (online and I'm assuming in-store also.) Also remember you have to preorder before the 11th (so the 10th is the last day) to get the Signature Edition (ie only CE the game will have.) That offer is only Amazon/Gamestop.[/QUOTE]

WTH?! No release date delivery on the strategy guide?

Looks like I'll be going out to buy it at a B&M store earlier in the day before Amazon delivers my package.

I'll only be picking up the strategy guide if there's a CE version with an art gallery and/or some bonus DLC. For the actual strategy stuff, GameFAQs and WikiCheats generally serve me fine. :)

I'd be willing to bet there will be a DLC code associated with the guide though.

I'll be going right to the CE this time. I got the regular version last time, then got the CE later. Not going to do the middle step this time, waste of $$

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']I'm still kicking myself for selling the DA:O collectors edition guide. That thing was beautiful.[/QUOTE]

fuck yes it was.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I'll only be picking up the strategy guide if there's a CE version with an art gallery and/or some bonus DLC. For the actual strategy stuff, GameFAQs and WikiCheats generally serve me fine. :)

I'd be willing to bet there will be a DLC code associated with the guide though.[/QUOTE]

Amazon.com description for the CE guide:

Exclusive to the Collector’s Edition: an additional 16 pages with a behind-the-scenes section and an artwork gallery

A dedicated Side Quests chapter presents all side missions, random encounters and all additional optional activities with a checklist to reach 100% completion

The Walkthrough features annotated area maps with step-by-step action on the left-hand page and expanded strategies and advanced tactics on the right

The Strategy & Analysis chapter focuses on high-level playing strategies and in-depth analysis of the game’s underlying mechanics.

All-encompassing Inventory chapter features exhaustive lists and tables covering: weapons, armor, accessories, special items, shops, runes, crafting, consumables and gifts

All-encompassing Bestiary chapter presents all details on: enemy ranks, locations, attributes, resistances, loot drops and more

A feature-packed Extras chapter covers every Achievement, every Trophy, every Secret and also presents a Dragon Age encyclopaedia and a story recap

EA reveals first Dragon Age 2 DLC

[quote name='Eurogamer']
The first piece of meaningful Dragon Age 2 downloadable content will be called The Exiled Prince, EA Germany has revealed.

A video teasing the add-on, found by RPGSite, shows a man called Sebastian having a strop because his family has been killed, boo hoo. Some woman tries to talk him out of going for revenge, but Sebastian - with his faint Scottish accent - won't hear a word of it. He even shoots an arrow that narrowly misses her.

The video blurb promises "a bonus companion and missions", all for the price of $7 or 560 Microsoft Points. Or for absolutely free - should you buy the Signature Edition of Dragon Age II. That Signature Edition is granted to anybody who pre-orders the game before 11th January.
[/quote]

Trailer at the link.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just put down the pre-order for the CE guide and Sig edition. x:

Still need to go through the Ultimate edition of the first game. D:

[quote name='MSUHitman']Strategy guides are available for pre-order both on Amazon and Gamestop (online and I'm assuming in-store also.) Also remember you have to preorder before the 11th (so the 10th is the last day) to get the Signature Edition (ie only CE the game will have.) That offer is only Amazon/Gamestop.[/QUOTE]

I have been corrected on this. The EA Store, Walmart.com, and Bestbuy.com each offer it also. Not sure about BB or Walmart in-store though.

Sig Edition....This is why I'm not buying this game. Can't stand the whole "You must pre-order by such and such a date or lose out on exclusive content!".

I've not got the money to order when they tell me to, and when I do get the funds I'm screwed out of content because I'm not rich. So this is making this game a total pass for me. I'm not buying a game with missing content.

[quote name='praxus07']Sig Edition....This is why I'm not buying this game. Can't stand the whole "You must pre-order by such and such a date or lose out on exclusive content!".

I've not got the money to order when they tell me to, and when I do get the funds I'm screwed out of content because I'm not rich. So this is making this game a total pass for me. I'm not buying a game with missing content.[/QUOTE]
Your loss I'd rather pay money now, then later have to re-buy all of the extra content later. Plus the SE is the same price as the regular edition, so its a win win situation for me.

Its a fiver to preorder at EB/Gamestop so its not exactly only for the wealthy.

SO, I wasn't going to get the signature edition because taxes + shipping it didn't seem worth waiting the 2-5 days from Amazon, but I just looked at release date delivery and it only came up as a 99 cent shipping charge. I don't know if that's a glitch, or they are doing some sort of special. I don't have Prime. At least not any more, I was doing the free trial over the summer but definitely canceled it.

edit: a friend just told me it showed up as 5 bucks for RDD...so I just check and my prime was canceled already. no idea what happened there then. my confirmation email also says 99 cents and that it'll arrive on March 8th. weird. lucky me I guess.

edit2: maybe it's just me. went to check on MvC3 as I've been meaning to preorder that as well... 99 cents for release date delivery. I don't get it.

Nice catch man! I just tried reordering on Amazon, and RDD came up for $.99 for me as well.

ETA: Posted this to the main deal forum, hopefully a lot of people will get their orders for the Signature Edition in under the wire.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Amazon.com description for the CE guide:

Exclusive to the Collector’s Edition: an additional 16 pages with a behind-the-scenes section and an artwork gallery

A dedicated Side Quests chapter presents all side missions, random encounters and all additional optional activities with a checklist to reach 100% completion

The Walkthrough features annotated area maps with step-by-step action on the left-hand page and expanded strategies and advanced tactics on the right

The Strategy & Analysis chapter focuses on high-level playing strategies and in-depth analysis of the game’s underlying mechanics.

All-encompassing Inventory chapter features exhaustive lists and tables covering: weapons, armor, accessories, special items, shops, runes, crafting, consumables and gifts

All-encompassing Bestiary chapter presents all details on: enemy ranks, locations, attributes, resistances, loot drops and more

A feature-packed Extras chapter covers every Achievement, every Trophy, every Secret and also presents a Dragon Age encyclopaedia and a story recap[/QUOTE]It's a Piggyback guide, so it's a safe bet it should be a pretty impressive guide.

I'm waiting out for some credit to get dropped into my Amazon account and then I'm ordering the CE guide. Already have the Sig Edition ordered.

I just need to get started on the first game at some point. :oops:

My debit card expires/renews in March around the time DA2 ships, so I preordered the game twice.
:lol:

Gamestop- $17 credit.
Amazon- just in case they offer a GC after the 11th or my bank cancels the transaction (happend before when card renewed).

Just need a few more Bing points to cash in for a $5 GC to use on the CE guide.

[quote name='shrike4242']It's a Piggyback guide, so it's a safe bet it should be a pretty impressive guide.

I'm waiting out for some credit to get dropped into my Amazon account and then I'm ordering the CE guide. Already have the Sig Edition ordered.

I just need to get started on the first game at some point. :oops:[/QUOTE]

As I said somewhere else on the forum, will probably cancel the Signature Edition, probably won't play it for quite awhile, it'll probably be around $20-$25 when I do. And Xbox Live is always have DLC sales so I can just pick it up then.

Won't cancel the guides pre-order though. :)

[quote name='shrike4242']It's a Piggyback guide, so it's a safe bet it should be a pretty impressive guide.

I just need to get started on the first game at some point. :oops:[/QUOTE]
LOL definitely save a lot of time for these types of games, I mean its taking me almost 2 years now and I'm 20% done. I'm hoping for like maybe 50% by the time DA2 rolls around.

[quote name='JohnBoy1280']LOL definitely save a lot of time for these types of games, I mean its taking me almost 2 years now and I'm 20% done. I'm hoping for like maybe 50% by the time DA2 rolls around.[/QUOTE]
That completely depends on how you play it. Origins is like Fallout 3 or Mass Effect 1; if you play on Casual and just focus on the main story you can knock it out in a few nights. I think my second time through the game took around 12 hours, and I wasn't particularly hurrying.

Even if you do work on some sidequests, do some exploring, romance a couple of party members, etc., you could easily finish Origins in 25-30 hours. It's just not really that long of a game. I admit to being a little mystified when people talk about spending 100 hours on a single playthrough.

[quote name='JohnBoy1280']Your loss I'd rather pay money now, then later have to re-buy all of the extra content later. Plus the SE is the same price as the regular edition, so its a win win situation for me.

Its a fiver to preorder at EB/Gamestop so its not exactly only for the wealthy.[/QUOTE]

It is if you plan on buying the game eventually, but can't afford it right when they tell you to order. And when I say eventually, I don't mean release day. Probably in May when my birthday is.

So if I buy it when I can actually afford it I'm screwed out of "free" content, that's why this isn't a good move on bioware's part. I just won't buy it at all then.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']That completely depends on how you play it. Origins is like Fallout 3 or Mass Effect 1; if you play on Casual and just focus on the main story you can knock it out in a few nights. I think my second time through the game took around 12 hours, and I wasn't particularly hurrying.

Even if you do work on some sidequests, do some exploring, romance a couple of party members, etc., you could easily finish Origins in 25-30 hours. It's just not really that long of a game. I admit to being a little mystified when people talk about spending 100 hours on a single playthrough.[/QUOTE]
Well speaking of Fallout 3 I had around 120 hours before my 12 save files disappeared of my harddrive, but thats because I like to explore everything and take my time. Heck if it takes 10 years it takes 10 years im not really in a rush to finish quickly.:p

For some reason RPG's take me longer to complete then other games, because there really isn't that sense of urgency to finish the game. I actually kinda wish people took at least 100 hours to see everything that games like Fallout 3, Mass Effect 1(gonna start it soon myself), and Dragon Age(currently at 44 hours and 20%). I mean in the sense to see all of the little secrets and Easter eggs the developers put into games.

Maybe the other fact is that I dont have that big of a backlog as some other gamers heck I think I have about 10 games in total.

Edit:

@ praxus07 Well if you put it like that you're making Bioware look like the villian, but in reality they did say that the SE is for dedicated fans and they want to show them some appreciation. You can get the game eventually too, and then just wait for the DLC to go on sale.

bread's done
Back