Dragon Age II - Gen. Discussion and Info - Mark of the Assassin DLC 10/11 800 pts.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']That completely depends on how you play it. Origins is like Fallout 3 or Mass Effect 1; if you play on Casual and just focus on the main story you can knock it out in a few nights. I think my second time through the game took around 12 hours, and I wasn't particularly hurrying.

Even if you do work on some sidequests, do some exploring, romance a couple of party members, etc., you could easily finish Origins in 25-30 hours. It's just not really that long of a game. I admit to being a little mystified when people talk about spending 100 hours on a single playthrough.[/QUOTE]Since both my ME1 playthroughs, which I did every single possible item save Pinnacle Station, I was at 50+ hours on one Normal and one Hardcore playthrough. My first ME2 playthrough on Normal was 50+ hours as well, with all the DLC, 50 hours on a game like this isn't completely out of sorts. 100 hours, that might be a bit of a reach, yes.

Preordered this today from Amazon. I figure I can cancel if I change my mind before the game comes out, but I want the Signature Edition if I buy it day one. And release date delivery was $.99 for me too, so I think that's normal.

It's looking pretty good, I've gotta say. Perhaps it'll be an improvement on the scale of Mass Effect 2!

[quote name='JohnBoy1280']Well speaking of Fallout 3 I had around 120 hours before my 12 save files disappeared of my harddrive, but thats because I like to explore everything and take my time. Heck if it takes 10 years it takes 10 years im not really in a rush to finish quickly.:p

For some reason RPG's take me longer to complete then other games, because there really isn't that sense of urgency to finish the game. I actually kinda wish people took at least 100 hours to see everything that games like Fallout 3, Mass Effect 1(gonna start it soon myself), and Dragon Age(currently at 44 hours and 20%). I mean in the sense to see all of the little secrets and Easter eggs the developers put into games.

Maybe the other fact is that I dont have that big of a backlog as some other gamers heck I think I have about 10 games in total.

Edit:

@ praxus07 Well if you put it like that you're making Bioware look like the villian, but in reality they did say that the SE is for dedicated fans and they want to show them some appreciation. You can get the game eventually too, and then just wait for the DLC to go on sale.[/QUOTE]

In cases like mine, when you simply can't afford to buy when they order you to, they are the villains. Just because someone can't afford to buy it right when bioware says, but you like the series and will buy it eventually, they're saying screw you to those fans? So I'd have to pay $60 for the game when I can actually afford it, then have to scrounge up more money later on for the DLC that they're giving away free now. To me that's like saying you're poor, so f-off.

I bought mass effect 1 & 2, and DA:O, but now it's like why even support their games anymore after this? They help those with money to spend get free stuff, and those who'll buy it when they can afford it end up paying extra later on for less content (no soundtrack and whatnot).

Dunno, after this I don't think I'll be buying any more bioware games at all.

Developer Diary: The Story

Lots of cutscene gameplay (with voiceovers), and it seems to confirm Merrill as a companion and love interest (of the, quote, "virginal girl next door" variety :hot: ).

ScreenHunter_76Jan101634.jpg

oh f me, drove home from class 5 hours ago and then NOW i realize i have 20 minutes to make it to ebgames/gamestop. tries amazon

Origins is easily a 40+ hour game on its own. With DLC if I completed it and every side quest I personally knew of plus character related quests I'd consistently clock in around 60+ just for the main storyline alone. Add in Awakenings and those 100+ hour profiles aren't that far fetched. It simply depends on your level of interest, difficulty settings and style of play.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Developer Diary: The Story

Lots of cutscene gameplay (with voiceovers), and it seems to confirm Merrill as a companion and love interest (of the, quote, "virginal girl next door" variety :hot: ).

ScreenHunter_76Jan101634.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I sort of get the sense if she isn't a complete push over then she'll play the role of a second conscious which is welcome if maintained at Wynne-esque levels of concern. I'm probably one of the few DA:O fans here that enjoyed her presence. So long as Merrill doesn't hold my Hawke to a higher unobtainable standard than everyone else and nag him to death I'm down.

[quote name='praxus07']In cases like mine, when you simply can't afford to buy when they order you to, they are the villains. Just because someone can't afford to buy it right when bioware says, but you like the series and will buy it eventually, they're saying screw you to those fans? So I'd have to pay $60 for the game when I can actually afford it, then have to scrounge up more money later on for the DLC that they're giving away free now. To me that's like saying you're poor, so f-off.

I bought mass effect 1 & 2, and DA:O, but now it's like why even support their games anymore after this? They help those with money to spend get free stuff, and those who'll buy it when they can afford it end up paying extra later on for less content (no soundtrack and whatnot).

Dunno, after this I don't think I'll be buying any more bioware games at all.[/QUOTE]

It's a marketing tactic that WORKS. If the Signature Edition didn't exist, I wouldn't have pre-ordered the game. They aren't stupid, they want me to buy when it's still $60, instead of waiting for it to hit $20, or waiting for an Ultimate edition with ALL the DLC.

It's not their fault or problem you can't pay for their goods, so don't bitch about them giving shit to people who buy the game early, which makes Bioware more money, which is WHAT THEY WANT.

I could say "I'm the biggest Bioware fan ever", but if I only pirate their games, or buy used, Bioware is gonna say "fuck off, you stealing bastard".

Just one final reminder for everyone, today is the LAST day to preorder DA2 at Amazon, GameStop, or EA.com, and get the $7 Exiled Prince DLC, along with a digital soundtrack and some bonus weapons, for free.

Ok got my pre-order of the game in on amazon, and got my CE guide pre-ordered at Gamestop for pick-up while I wait for the game sto show up on Day 1.

A company selling a product for ANY price is not a "villain". They're a company, trying to do the best for their employees and shareholders. If it's too much, vote with your dollars - don't buy it till it drops in price [which it will]. A luxury item being 'too expensive' in no way excuses stealing/pirating it.
Bottom line: wait til a product reaches a price you're willing to pay for it. End of story.

Personally, I think this sort of timed bonus content, in an effort to get new sales, is a very good and fair way to tackle the used market. I fully support consumers buying/selling/trading on the used market, and I also support the industry doing creative things to try to motivate people to buy new without infringing the used resale rights/capability.

I did preorder, which I don't do often, solely because of the 'freebies'. Which, yes, will likely be in a future GOTY edition, probably a year down the road. I prefer physical tchotchkes, but I'm starting to see value in some additional DLC as well.

I think I had about 70 hours in DA and loved it. Not sure if I'll like the voiceovers - in the past I didn't, but I did like it in Mass Effect. I guess I like them both, as long as they're implemented well.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Just one final reminder for everyone, today is the LAST day to preorder DA2 at Amazon, GameStop, or EA.com, and get the $7 Exiled Prince DLC, along with a digital soundtrack and some bonus weapons, for free.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. I'm hesitant though since I'm still playing DAO off and on and not even touched Awakening yet lol.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Thanks for the heads up. I'm hesitant though since I'm still playing DAO off and on and not even touched Awakening yet lol.[/QUOTE]
No harm preordering on Amazon now, you can always cancel it later if you decide not to get the game at release.

Gamestop has now posted what their bonus items will be for pre ordering from them
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=89700
Fadeshear Sword: The core of this blade is old. As old as the first smiths who sought a way to battle the nightmares from the land beyond. It has fought the demonic hosts in countless battles. Sometimes it has been held high in triumphant victory. Other times, it has lain broken besides its dying owner. But after every defeat it has always been reclaimed, reforged, and made stronger. Fadeshear has passed through many hands before yours. Now it is your turn to make the demons of the Fade pay for crossing the Veil into the waking world.

• Improves with each level-up
  • additional damage vs. demons and undead

Lion of Orlais Shield: At the height of the Summer War all of Orlais was embroiled in fierce battles. Over the course of the war dozens of contenders for the Imperial Throne emerged – most long forgotten except as footnotes in scholarly tomes. But everyone remembers the gallant young lord Emile Deveraux, “The Golden Prince”. Thought outnumbered at every turn, he racked victory upon victory culminating in the Seventh Battle of Roses. While wearing this shield he broke through his uncle’s vanguard to win the day. He never knew the taste of defeat, instead meeting his end at the hands of a jealous lover in the dead of night.

• 2 rune slots
  • Adds to health
  • Adds to % XP gain
  • Dragonage2_bonusLG.jpg

[quote name='Ryuukishi']No harm preordering on Amazon now, you can always cancel it later if you decide not to get the game at release.[/QUOTE]

Yeah lol I pre-ordered. I know it's going to be a great game (Bioware puts in effort on sequels).

Oh God, here come the retailer-specific bonus items. :p

Well, I currently have the game preordered from Amazon and GameStop, hadn't decided which one to keep, now I guess I keep them both. Those items do look pretty sweet.

[quote name='dabebop']Gamestop has now posted what their bonus items will be for pre ordering from them
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=89700
Fadeshear Sword: The core of this blade is old. As old as the first smiths who sought a way to battle the nightmares from the land beyond. It has fought the demonic hosts in countless battles. Sometimes it has been held high in triumphant victory. Other times, it has lain broken besides its dying owner. But after every defeat it has always been reclaimed, reforged, and made stronger. Fadeshear has passed through many hands before yours. Now it is your turn to make the demons of the Fade pay for crossing the Veil into the waking world.

• Improves with each level-up
  • additional damage vs. demons and undead

Lion of Orlais Shield: At the height of the Summer War all of Orlais was embroiled in fierce battles. Over the course of the war dozens of contenders for the Imperial Throne emerged – most long forgotten except as footnotes in scholarly tomes. But everyone remembers the gallant young lord Emile Deveraux, “The Golden Prince”. Thought outnumbered at every turn, he racked victory upon victory culminating in the Seventh Battle of Roses. While wearing this shield he broke through his uncle’s vanguard to win the day. He never knew the taste of defeat, instead meeting his end at the hands of a jealous lover in the dead of night.

• 2 rune slots
  • Adds to health
  • Adds to % XP gain
  • Dragonage2_bonusLG.jpg
[/QUOTE]

What. the. fuck.
If they posted this shit before Signature edition deadline then more people would've pre-ordered from them instead from anywhere else. That is just bad strategy.

[quote name='dtcarson']A company selling a product for ANY price is not a "villain". They're a company, trying to do the best for their employees and shareholders. If it's too much, vote with your dollars - don't buy it till it drops in price [which it will]. A luxury item being 'too expensive' in no way excuses stealing/pirating it.
Bottom line: wait til a product reaches a price you're willing to pay for it. End of story.

Personally, I think this sort of timed bonus content, in an effort to get new sales, is a very good and fair way to tackle the used market. I fully support consumers buying/selling/trading on the used market, and I also support the industry doing creative things to try to motivate people to buy new without infringing the used resale rights/capability.

I did preorder, which I don't do often, solely because of the 'freebies'. Which, yes, will likely be in a future GOTY edition, probably a year down the road. I prefer physical tchotchkes, but I'm starting to see value in some additional DLC as well.

I think I had about 70 hours in DA and loved it. Not sure if I'll like the voiceovers - in the past I didn't, but I did like it in Mass Effect. I guess I like them both, as long as they're implemented well.[/QUOTE]

Who said anything about stealing or pirating it? Or even that it's too expensive? I don't see any posts saying anything about either topic.

My beef with the company is that Bioware is essentially forcing people to buy the game now to get free stuff, or wait to buy it later and get less content for the same price. The stuff they're giving now should have been the standard edition of the game to begin with, not a ploy where they give it free then charge for it later. That just makes Bioware a company I won't support anymore.

Gorgeous weapons are gorgeous. And uh... yeah. That about sums up my thoughts on the subject at hand. If they can somehow squeeze in a unique yet epic skull bash animation for that shield I will be a very happy man. I hope it is every bit as gigantic as that screen shot depicts. Hell... screw the infamous death knife. Switch the Lion with it and I'll probably love the DA staff forever.

[quote name='praxus07']My beef with the company is that Bioware is essentially forcing people to buy the game now to get free stuff, or wait to buy it later and get less content for the same price. The stuff they're giving now should have been the standard edition of the game to begin with, not a ploy where they give it free then charge for it later. That just makes Bioware a company I won't support anymore.[/QUOTE]
A firm commitment to buy the game is worth a lot more to BioWare than someone who might buy it someday. Bird in the hand. So they sweeten the deal a little bit for those who are willing to commit early. It's just good business.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Gorgeous weapons are gorgeous. And uh... yeah. That about sums up my thoughts on the subject at hand. If they can somehow squeeze in a unique yet epic skull bash animation for that shield I will be a very happy man.[/QUOTE]
The sword reminds me of something from Fable III with that curvy handle. And my female Warrior Hawke would look pretty good skull-bashing fools with a giant gold lion head... I think I'm in.

I dont know about you guys but that sword reminds me a lot of swords used in the Prince of Persia games Scimitars or something like that. That Lion head shield is just pure awesome right there, can't wait to see it covered in Darkspawn blood. xD

Anyway good stuff, glad I preordered from gamestop.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Oh God, here come the retailer-specific bonus items. :p

Well, I currently have the game preordered from Amazon and GameStop, hadn't decided which one to keep, now I guess I keep them both. Those items do look pretty sweet.[/QUOTE]

Are your two copies of the game on the 360?

Yes it does suck that they revealed their bonus items after the SE period ended, but again it's just another reason to have people continue to pre order through them. Hopefully Amazon reveals if they are going to sweeten the deal. The SE items look good, but we have to wait until we can get a run down of their stats.

Eh that sword may look like Prince of Persia but it reminds me more of Fable 3's Hero weapons since it levels up with you. EH I don't mind pre-ordering from Amazon even though they don't have those perks. Can't beat 99 cent release day shipping and Amazon's support is usually top notch.

Hmm, this is interesting. On Amazon's Dragon Age II page:
[quote name='Amazon']
Special Pre-Order Offer
Reserve your copy of Dragon Age 2 and receive the in-game Fadeshear Sword and the Lion of Orlais Shield. The sword provides additional damage vs. demons and undead, and the shield provides 2 added rune slots, adds to your health, and improves XP gain. A code to access the bonus content will be e-mailed within two days after your order ships. Existing pre-orders of Bioware Signature Edition will automatically qualify for this offer. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com, while supplies last, and limited to one purchase per customer. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time.
[/quote]

Mistake, or are these not retailer-specific after all?

anyone feel that power preorder wpns/armor tend to dimish your gaming experience somewhat? (it seems more like a reward after you've beaten it once)

So do we get those wtih the signature edition? SInce the Sig edition is now listed as "No Longer Available" on most sites they haven't said whether we get those items or not.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']So do we get those wtih the signature edition? SInce the Sig edition is now listed as "No Longer Available" on most sites they haven't said whether we get those items or not.[/QUOTE]
According to Amazon: "Existing pre-orders of Bioware Signature Edition will automatically qualify for this offer."

Looks like the Fadeshear and Lion of Orlais are definitely not unique to GameStop. Impulse is showing them too, as well as Amazon.

There is, however, a new bonus item on the EA Store that is specific to them: The Irons. We can also expect some 'Project Ten Dollar' content (not dependent on preordering, just on buying the game new) to be revealed tomorrow.

Here is a rundown from a BioWare employee on their boards:

[quote name='Fernando Melo']
We'll have official word on these tomorrow (PST time, when humans are at the controls of office computers once again) - in the meantime, no need to get all worked up over this as this time around the offerings are much simpler.

Signature Edition includes:
- the 4 digital armory items
- The Exiled Prince DLC
- digital game soundtrack
- and 'more' content for those that buy new (to be revealed tomorrow)
- in total, the ~$20 additional content mentioned to be part of the SE version

Regular Edition includes:
- the same 'more' content for those that buy new (to be revealed tomorrow)

Any pre-order (SE or Regular from when DA2 pre-orders started until game launches) at a participating retailer - gets the Fadeshear and Lion of Orlais items (sword/shield).

The major retailers should be on the 'participating' list, but as always it is best to confirm directly with your store of preference - we don't decide who participates, they do.

EA Store pre-orders, will get an additional item - The Irons - on top of the two pre-order items mentioned above.

That's it.
[/quote]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='100xp']anyone feel that power preorder wpns/armor tend to dimish your gaming experience somewhat? (it seems more like a reward after you've beaten it once)[/QUOTE]

As a general rule of thumb I always save DLC/CE weaponry for the end game or future playthroughs to prevent that from happening. Since my DA2 experience will more or less determine my level of interest and enthusiasm for future Bioware titles I need my initial playthrough to last as long as humanly possible so I can form a fair well educated opinion on the game.

Wow, they actually cut off the pre-orders for the Signature Edition on 1/11. I'm surprised, I figured it would just be an advertising gimmick that it would be limited. Oh well, locked in my pre-order a few days ago so I've got nothing to worry about.

The only unfortunate thing is that EA didn't reveal the Irons belt until the Signature Edition preorder period was over. I would have placed my preorder with them instead of Amazon had I known that it would be the only way to get all of the bonuses in just one purchase.

Looks like I'm back to ordering two copies and trying to unload the extra one later. That seems less financially risky than waiting until after release and trying to buy an Irons code on eBay.

Seriously... whomever was in the charge of promotion really screwed the company out of a substantial amount of cash. I wouldn't have hesitated to use EA if I knew I'd everything instead of wasting gas and time using Gamestop. Pretty fucked up play IMO.

The exclusive content for new purchasers is "The Black Emporium."

Features:
  • A magic item store that has some of the best equipment you'll find in the game. It's restocked with better items as you progress through the story.
  • A loyal mabari hound that fights at your side in battle.
  • The "Mirror of Transformation". Gaze into it and you can change your very appearance. Hair, eyes, tattoos, and more can be changed with the click of a button.
  • A crafting store which sells powerful unique recipes.
  • Explore the Black Emporium and uncover its strange secrets and lore. Be sure to see its strange proprietor. It should prove most... memorable.

Another Mabari? Eh... I was hoping for a pet dragon, griffon or another fade spirit ala Justice this time around. Changing your appearance at the drop of a dime is a great feature though with the supposed improvements to darker skin tones I'm not sure if I'll need to use it. Would have been perfect for the first DA, Fallout and Oblivion where the likelihood of your character accurately reflecting all your hard work in the game world was slim to none.

As far as I'm concerned, the ability to respec your characters (including appearance if applicable) should be a standard part of any role-playing game. So while I welcome the feature, I'm not exactly impressed that BioWare is touting it as a special bonus rather than something included as a matter of course.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']New IGN preview, plus a bunch of combat screenshots featuring mage Hawke.[/QUOTE]

Much to my surprise I think it is now the time to board the Dragon Age II hype train. Very pleased with what I've read thus far. I just hope this enthusiasm remains come a month after launch.

[quote name='dabebop']Pic needs more Lady Hawk to it :p[/QUOTE]

I can't argue with that (she is as attractive as the devs claimed) but man is that shield fucking sexy.

I'm wondering what fem Hawke's voice will sound like. I have to say, the male voice is not what I imagined based on Hawke's character design. He sounds more like the 'sarcastic sidekick' than the 'rugged alpha badass'.

I agree male Hawke's VA doesn't seem to suit the character at all. I know Meer took a lot of flak for his tone in ME (especially in comparison to Jennifer Hale) but having such a strong racially neutral voice honestly is quite the talent. I'm more eager to hear Merrill's personally. In Origins she never struck me as DA's version of Tali but in the dev's defense we barely spoke more than a few words to her in the Dalish Origin so anything is possible. Right now I'm imagining someone quite cringe worthy/slightly annoying.

I hope if Anders makes a return his VA hasn't changed. He was my favorite out of the entire Awakenings cast. Great humor, great personality, great quotables. I love that guy.

On the gender/voice acting tip, here is an interesting tidbit:

http://borderhouseblog.com/?p=3920

I don't really understand the whole rant about evil BioWare (it seems only sensible to me that the marketing would focus on one version of the character), but it's intriguing to see female Shepard described as the "fan favorite" by Jesse Houston.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']On the gender/voice acting tip, here is an interesting tidbit:

http://borderhouseblog.com/?p=3920

I don't really understand the whole rant about evil BioWare (it seems only sensible to me that the marketing would focus on one version of the character), but it's intriguing to see female Shepard described as the "fan favorite" by Jesse Houston.[/QUOTE]Going through ME2 semi-recently as a male Shepard and currently in a 2nd playthrough as a female Shepard, and I'd have to say I prefer the female voice acting to the male voice acting. I wouldn't say that I'm rabidly against the male voice acting, though after 20+ hours into it, I'd say that the delivery is better.

Is DA1 using the same voice actors as ME1 and ME2, or are there different ones, and are the same ones used on DA1 also used on DA2?

Our goal is to bring thoughtful analysis to gaming with a feminist viewpoint and up-to-date news on games, virtual worlds, and social media
Uh yeah... I immediately stopped reading right then and there. Make no mistake Jennifer is the general fan favorite but Meer wasn't the catastrophe nearly everyone pegged him to be in both games.

A few exceptions aside the Origins and ME cast were for the most part completely different. I think those that were brought on voiced quest related NPCs on both.

Meer is great, I really think he does good work as Shepard. The fact that Hale is even better (IMO) does not automatically make Meer terrible. But there's the internet for you.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Meer is great, I really think he does good work as Shepard. The fact that Hale is even better (IMO) does not automatically make Meer terrible. But there's the internet for you.[/QUOTE]I'd agree with that statement. I don't think Meer is bad, by any stretch of the imagination. He does good work, yes. Though, I think Hale as female Shepard does a better job in general. As that's the only comparison I have between them, that's the only item I'll be comparing at this time.

I am now playing a male Shepard in ME 1 so I can import him the way I want into ME 2 and get the relationship achievement in 2 (Kelly and Liara don't count for it.) His VA isn't bad, but it's like watching 90% of MLB pitchers go up against someone like Roy Halladay or Adam Wainwright, no contest as to who's better.

In regards to DA 2, here's an Austrailan IGN article that has some details and screenshots, all using Marian Hawke.

http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/114/1143660p1.html

bread's done
Back