Dragon Age: Inquisition - E3 TRAILER

Bioware people have been tweeting that they're shooting for a full story build to play over the holiday, so it looks like it will be polishing the game mechanics/graphics etc. and voice recording next year.

I'm starting to fall in the "forget current gen and create games to their fullest potential" camp. I understand the economics of releasing a game on systems with massive installed bases. But I, selfishly, just want AAA games to be as good as the hardware will allow. What I've seen of DAI leaves me unconcerned, though. It looks damn. good.
Don't you remember how the 360 games came out on the system's initial release? It takes developers a while to get up to speed to learn the tricks of the hardware and the XB1 is a different animal than the 360 is. They've been working on the 360 for quite some time and the engine DA: I is on is the Frostbite 3 engine, which powers BF4 as MSUHitman mentioned. FB3 will also power Mass Effect 4 as well.

I think DA: I on XB1 may look prettier than the 360 version though that's likely it unless they get up to speed quickly on making the XB1 work that much better than the 360. Assassin's Creed 4 is an example where it looks prettier on PS4/XB1 than it does on PS3/360, though that's about it.

Screen shots make me wonder if we're seeing 360/PS3 content, PC content or XB1/PS4 content.

It does look good so far though I want them to take the time and polish it up well so that it's great and not the rush drop DA2 was.

Screens from DA's FB page:

1531531_10152063840409367_558136981_n.jpg

1513715_10152063840524367_1294021872_n.jpg

1471140_10152063840569367_1446650410_n.jpg

644340_10152063840614367_1195233478_n.jpg

Ugh, can that game look any better?  Holy crap.  I so can't wait to pimp my dude out with that badass cowboy hat. 

They said "Fall 2014" right?  I was hoping that maybe we'd get a surprise with an August release, but that's probably not gonna happen.

Anyone else think it's weird that you still can't preorder Dragon Age Inquisition anywhere, when Amazon and Best Buy do have preorder pages up for stuff like Shadow of Mordor, Kingdom Hearts 3, and Halo 5 that have barely been announced?

Hadn't given it much thought, but that does seem odd.  DA:I one has as solid a release window as anything.  Honestly, all that matters is that they have a nice limited edition SKU up for preorder eventually.  ;)

Hadn't given it much thought, but that does seem odd. DA:I one has as solid a release window as anything. Honestly, all that matters is that they have a nice limited edition SKU up for preorder eventually. ;)
Let's hope it's not a $250-class LE/CE like they did with Titanfall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone here applied to that beta they announced long ago about importing your decisions? Think it was called Warden's Keep or something. If anyone did, has anyone been accepted to it? I applied the day it was announced but think I botched the application upon reflecting regarding the email I used to sign up. Just wondering if they've already been running it with invited users or they haven't even started it yet.

Has anyone here applied to that beta they announced long ago about importing your decisions? Think it was called Warden's Keep or something. If anyone did, has anyone been accepted to it? I applied the day it was announced but think I botched the application upon reflecting regarding the email I used to sign up. Just wondering if they've already been running it with invited users or they haven't even started it yet.
I signed up and haven't heard anything. No rumors of it having started yet.

David Gaider posted on the BSN forums about the conversation system in Inquisition. Sounds largely similar to DA2, with the exception of removing the "dominant tone" system where Hawke's dialogue in situations without player-chosen lines reflected the tone that you chose most often. All dialogue that's not part of a player choice will just be neutral in tone. But it sounds like there will be a lot less of it in any case.

What is the same about Inquisition's writing style, compared to DA2:

• Dialogue options are picked from paraphrases, off a wheel interface.

• The player character is voiced, and dialogue is written with that in mind.
What is new:

• No dominant tone. Meaning your most-selected tone does not carry through to influence other lines outside of the conversation in which you selected it. In DA2, dominant tone changed the actual line the PC spoke when action choices were made as well as those spoken inside of cutscenes ("auto-dialogue", as people like to refer to it here). In Inquisition, those are all relayed in neutral tone.

• A question is often asked of how much "auto-dialogue" will exist in comparison to, say, Mass Effect 3. The answer is that the amount will be less than DA2 (and it is always neutral-toned, as mentioned above). This is generally just used in situations where the PC is saying something innocuous ("Go on" or "What is that?" ...things that don't really call for a wheel).

• Addition of a "reaction wheel" (on top of the "tone wheel", which is for flavor responses, and the "action wheel", which is for places where the player is decided to do something), which allows for emotional responses to important events. The player always has the Stoic option (essentially the neutral response), or will have options such as Sad, Confused, Enraged, Surprised, etc.

• Dialogue options on an action wheel now sometimes display a pop-up if the option is hovered over long enough, elaborating on what that action is intended to do. This only applies to actions where elaboration is felt necessary. It does not display the actual line which will be spoken by the PC.

• The three major tones are now Noble/Clever/Direct (as opposed to Diplomatic/Humorous/Aggressive). These are primarily internal designations which affect how we write those tones, the idea being to reign in the difference a bit between the three. There are no longer alternate tone variants (which in DA2 were Helpful/Charming/Direct), as I don't think we communicated very well what those meant anyhow.

• Similar to how the Investigate option off any wheel "breaks out" into a sub-wheel for questions (if there is more than one question), there can be a Special option off any wheel which breaks out in the same manner. This is where we put conditional things, such as dialogue options that depend on having a particular party member, being a particular race/class, romance options, having made certain choices previously, etc...and thus allows us to add as many of these to a wheel as we like without breaking the interface structure. Some of these now "grey out" if you don't have the requirement, meaning you can see an option you might have had, but currently cannot take.
Some people will find these things very different. Some will hardly notice, as these are largely structural and procedural differences for writing. Ultimately, as Mike says, the writing style is the same--but your mileage may vary. Nothing else is really referred to by "writing style" than how the dialogue itself is functionally written.

The key part of it all is something they've already mentioned. They are fixing the ambiguous or misleading dialogue choices that were present in DA2.

At this point, having known about this game for so damn long, anything but a revealing trailer is annoying to me.  For Christ's sake, we all know with 90% certainty how the conversation system in DA:I will work.  Please, no offense directed at you Ryuu!  Any news is welcome, I suppose.  It's just that Bioware has been so tight lipped and ever since Chris Priestly left, it seems like they've let that connect with the fans slip a lot

And where the hell is that save-managing "Keep" website thing they were working on and that was supposed to release around this time? 

One last gripe.....if Jay Watamaniuk tweets out one more cryptic, somber message about his writing on something #space, I'm gonna drown a panda.  Straight up.  There.  I feel better, I have my no-new-Bioware-game-blue-ball stress released.  Thank you and good night.

At this point, having known about this game for so damn long, anything but a revealing trailer is annoying to me. For Christ's sake, we all know with 90% certainty how the conversation system in DA:I will work. Please, no offense directed at you Ryuu! Any news is welcome, I suppose. It's just that Bioware has been so tight lipped and ever since Chris Priestly left, it seems like they've let that connect with the fans slip a lot.

And where the hell is that save-managing "Keep" website thing they were working on and that was supposed to release around this time?

One last gripe.....if Jay Watamaniuk tweets out one more cryptic, somber message about his writing on something #space, I'm gonna drown a panda. Straight up. There. I feel better, I have my no-new-Bioware-game-blue-ball stress released. Thank you and good night.
Heh. I expect E3 will be the blowout, although something is coming next week according to Flynn. Game has been in dev around 3 years. It should be well polished by the time we get it. I'm just wondering when they'll spill the beans on Mass Effect. I assume they'll want it out next year, which means they should say something this year per their normal reveal schedule.

I'm just wondering when they'll spill the beans on Mass Effect. I assume they'll want it out next year, which means they should say something this year per their normal reveal schedule.
Right? I really need some news on ME4. Whether it's cross-gen or next-gen only will basically be the sole deciding factor for me picking up an Xbone.

Right? I really need some news on ME4. Whether it's cross-gen or next-gen only will basically be the sole deciding factor for me picking up an Xbone.
Same here. Since I doubt if DA: I goes to the XB1/PS4, all of the previous choices made on 360/PS3 can be made to flow into the X1/PS4 versions. I know they did that with Genesis / Genesis 2 on ME3, though they were a lot of the high-level options, not some of the smaller ones that made some more nuanced items happen.

At this point, I can't see anything that is grabbing me to drive me to a X1 unless it'll be ME4 and it's a completely new series without pulling any previous items that happens across ME1-3.

I kind of doubt that DAI will import save files even if you play it on the same console. My prediction is that they'll expect us to use the website thing for creating a world state, period.

Saints Row IV was like that. You could use your character from The Third, but only by uploading it from The Third to the SR community website, then downloading it from the website into IV. That was the only way to do it even though IV presumably could have just read your save files that were right there on the same console.

Once they have a generalized solution that works for everybody, they're not going to spend any more time working on individual solutions for each small group of users.

I will honestly be surprised if the next ME isn't "next" gen only. PS4 install base is likely near 6 million now and they'll probably have sold 12 million by year's end. If Bioware is looking at a Fall 2015 date, I'd bet PS4 install base is 16-20M. I expect Xbone to be at 8-10M by that point. They can go PC/XB1/PS4 and have enough install base. The good thing is that frostbite gives them the flexibility to be cross gen if they need to.

As for importing choices, Failbetter games is working on some sort of project for Bioware. They do 2D online games and comic like stuff. I could see them doing an equivalent of ME genesis for either the DA or ME franchises to bring next genners up to speed.

I kind of doubt that DAI will import save files even if you play it on the same console. My prediction is that they'll expect us to use the website thing for creating a world state, period.

Saints Row IV was like that. You could use your character from The Third, but only by uploading it from The Third to the SR community website, then downloading it from the website into IV. That was the only way to do it even though IV presumably could have just read your save files that were right there on the same console.

Once they have a generalized solution that works for everybody, they're not going to spend any more time working on individual solutions for each small group of users.
Origin. They just relaunched their forums which use Origin logins. It'll all be done through that I'll bet.

Well, that's a little messed up for a 3rd game in an obvious trilogy with the way they're touting it. Since it does go through a Bioware login, they should be able to generate game state through that Bioware login and get game data into DA: I.

I can only hope it'll be something less ugly than whatever they'll eventually end up with.

I will honestly be surprised if the next ME isn't "next" gen only. PS4 install base is likely near 6 million now and they'll probably have sold 12 million by year's end. If Bioware is looking at a Fall 2015 date, I'd bet PS4 install base is 16-20M. I expect Xbone to be at 8-10M by that point. They can go PC/XB1/PS4 and have enough install base. The good thing is that frostbite gives them the flexibility to be cross gen if they need to.

As for importing choices, Failbetter games is working on some sort of project for Bioware. They do 2D online games and comic like stuff. I could see them doing an equivalent of ME genesis for either the DA or ME franchises to bring next genners up to speed.

Origin. They just relaunched their forums which use Origin logins. It'll all be done through that I'll bet.
If it's Fall 2015, then I could see them doing it as PC/XB1/PS4 only, especially if there's no backdata that could shape ME4 in any way like we had with ME1 + 2 into 3. If it's on Frostbite like they've said, they could do 360 & PS3 as well as XB1 & PS4 without starting over from the ground up. Question then becomes if it'll be something they'd do with the XB1 & PS4 out for 2 years at that point.

Yeah, I'm expecting ME4 to be next/current ( :D ) gen only. Cross-gen doesn't seem totally out of the question though.
Time to start saving the money just in case. ;)

Time to start convincing the wife that I need another game console is what you mean.
That's usually how it works, though for me, it would be a new receiver and the new console, if I was doing it right. I'm out of HDMI inputs, so it would be a HDMI switcher as a short-term fix.

That's usually how it works, though for me, it would be a new receiver and the new console, if I was doing it right. I'm out of HDMI inputs, so it would be a HDMI switcher as a short-term fix.
I have PS3 and 360 on an auto-sensing switch and PS4 on a direct input. Working out ok so far. Trying to avoid a receiver since I have no use for audio capabilities in an apartment.

Yeah, same here, plus I've got no more room in the TV stand. My PS3 will probably be demoted to the basement.
My PS3 is already in the basement, as is my primary 360, plus some other stuff (Tivo, HTPC, OG Xbox, PS2, GC, HD-DVD player). Secondary 360 is upstairs in the living room. If I get an XB1, it would be in the basement somewhere, as I do have room on my entertainment stand.

I have PS3 and 360 on an auto-sensing switch and PS4 on a direct input. Working out ok so far. Trying to avoid a receiver since I have no use for audio capabilities in an apartment.
Most of my gameplaying goes on in the basement, save the move of the 2nd 360 up to the new living room TV. 7.1 surround sound does need a receiver, though.

At this point, having known about this game for so damn long, anything but a revealing trailer is annoying to me. For Christ's sake, we all know with 90% certainty how the conversation system in DA:I will work. Please, no offense directed at you Ryuu! Any news is welcome, I suppose. It's just that Bioware has been so tight lipped and ever since Chris Priestly left, it seems like they've let that connect with the fans slip a lot.

Don't worry, Chubbs. Before you know it, BW will release a new trailer and the trolls will be out in force to remind everyone how much they hated DA2. Things will be back to normal.

Good timing with the latest news, Ryuu.

Sim's prophecy has come true! The messages on kotaku almost immediately went to the DA2 hate train. #letitgo,letitgo

I haven't watched the trailer yet, but I need to see this puddle tech.

That trailer has me really excited. This sounds like my ideal RPG. Open enough to have large areas to explore, side areas to lose track in, etc but then again still not just like Skyrim where it's what the fuck do I do next.

Plus I love the idea of multi regions. I been a WoW player for years and one of the reasons I love WoW is that there are a ton of different explorable regions. It keeps the game fresh instead of just *insert forest here*.

I am so ready.

Man that Frostbite engine looks gorgeous. Hard to wonder how inferior it'll look with newer 3D engines down the line in the future.

Man that Frostbite engine looks gorgeous. Hard to wonder how inferior it'll look with newer 3D engines down the line in the future.
Well, Frostbite is going to be an engine that's constantly updated. Since they do a Battlefield release pretty much every year, I think we can expect yearly updates of the engine. Since they use it EA-wide, I think they can justify constant updates like that. They've dropped the numbering scheme and it's not available to outside studios, so they don't need strongly defined "releases" to provide stability for outside developers.

Just watched the new video in full.  Wow, that looks purty.  I was particularly struck by the quick glimpse of the Deep Roads.  This next-gen is really going to allow them to capture exactly how immense and majestic dwarven construction is in the DA world.  Early today, i was just saying to someone that my excitement level had dwindled because we haven't seen much of Inquisition lately.  Excitement restored.  

Finally watched the new vid in full on a big screen.  Very nice.  Funny, because I am a big story guy.  Without a story driving everything I could care less.  Obviously anything from Bioware will have a good story, but I didn't expect to get overly excited by this video. 

But damn.  Wow.  That looks amazing.  Like Sim said, the Deep Roads look majestic, that winter forest with the bare trees, to the weather effects.  I was worried this would be like AC4.....looks quite nice, but being cross-gen held it back...but I don't think that'll be the case. 

I'm glad they're still targeting fall 2014. 

Finally watched the new vid in full on a big screen. Very nice. Funny, because I am a big story guy. Without a story driving everything I could care less. Obviously anything from Bioware will have a good story, but I didn't expect to get overly excited by this video.

But damn. Wow. That looks amazing. Like Sim said, the Deep Roads look majestic, that winter forest with the bare trees, to the weather effects. I was worried this would be like AC4.....looks quite nice, but being cross-gen held it back...but I don't think that'll be the case.

I'm glad they're still targeting fall 2014.
TBH Frostbite is a much better engine (at least graphically) than the one Ubisoft uses. The technical lead of DICE (@repi) is one of the brightest guys in the industry. He's in league with a handful of people that are near Carmack-level that produce engines like Cry Engine and UE4.

It also sounds like Bioware has a lot more freedom to modify the core engine to suit their needs, which benefits Frostbite as a whole.

So The Witcher 3 has been delayed into early 2015. Great news for Inquisition if it can hold onto a 2014 release date since Geralt was probably its biggest competition.

So The Witcher 3 has been delayed into early 2015. Great news for Inquisition if it can hold onto a 2014 release date since Geralt was probably its biggest competition.
Yeah I'm all for the Witcher 3 but I don't want to have to choose. That game is gonna be equally amazing.

Yeah I'm all for the Witcher 3 but I don't want to have to choose. That game is gonna be equally amazing.
It really is better for both games. CDPR did both Bioware and themselves a favor. Arguably, I think TW3 would have sold better but I think both will sell more overall because of this move.

BioWare is the big winner though. Not only does it not have to go head-to-head with The Witcher, a matchup where it was at a disadvantage, but it gets to go first and probably pick up a lot of sales from anxious Witcher fans who are just desperate for another next-gen fantasy RPG to play while they wait.

That's lame.  They made it sound like a lot of people could participate and even today they posted the link to sign up....then it's limited?  Very lame. 

bread's done
Back