DS/GBA Beat 'em Ups Suggestions

option.iv

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
Yes, this must be the thousandth game suggestion thread, but I am curious. So far I've been playing River City Ransom EX (excellent remake of the NES version) and was wondering if anyone could suggest any similar or just plain awesome beat 'em ups on the DS or GBA. Thank you in advance.

Double Dragon Advance

If your BB still has a stocked budget games section, try Advance Guardian Heroes (Or if GS has it on the cheap). It ain't the best thing ever, but it is a decent, over the top flavor of beat-em-up with a good Smash Brosy-AI/versus mode combat that will keep it going.

I can't really think of anything else that qualifies...

Thanks guys. Oh I also remember playing Astro Boy which I would think counts as a beat 'em up.

I should give TMNT a chance, my stubborn side refused to acknowledge anything from the new TMNT. But looking at clips and vids of the GBA TMNT, it looks really good.

Only good game I can think of is Final Fight One, but even then, I would rather play the arcade version on one of the Capcom Classics Collections.

My holy trinity of GBA beat'em ups:

Double Dragon Advance
River City Ransom EX
TMNT

Those are the best of the best on the GBA.

And to answer an above question, no, AFAIK, there are no decent DS beat 'em up's... espicially nothing as good as what's listed above, or anything from the older days.

Viewtiful Joe DS is decent. It is a pale, worthless imitation of the Gamecube games though. None of the gameplay depth, and kinda messed up gameplay-wise on several levels. It does have excellent music and decent boss fights, though, but even then...

[quote name='SeanNOLA']I'm surprised no one has suggested Ninja Gaiden DS yet[/QUOTE]

because its not really a beat em up, more of an action adventure game

Thanks for that justice league flash suggestion. It looked a little repetitive with the same punching combo used in the clips. And wtf, Black Flash? But hey, it's a beat 'em up, it's hard not to be repetitive.

There needs to be some massive beat 'em up you can play online co-op. That would be awesome, though I doubt it'd happen.

But yeah, River City Ransom EX is pretty awesome. All of the added moves are crazy and greatly improves upon the NES version. My only disappointment is the lack of multiplayer (only file sharing). Also makes me wish the Nintendo DS supported GBA multiplayer via its ad-hoc or local wireless connection.

[quote name='Josef']I've noticed pretty much all suggestions have been for the GBA. Are there any decent DS beat 'em ups?[/QUOTE]
Star Wars Episode III is actually quite decent. Ignore the reviews and don't listen to the haters.

wow i can't believe no one's mentioned spyro eternal night for gba yet, mad combos. would drill dozer be consided as a beat em up?

man u guys suck!!

u recommend games that are "quite decent" wtf man recommend sum games that kick ass!!

the best has already been mentioned and the thread shoulda ended after the first reply!!

if the OP doesnt play Double Dragon Advance then this thread is a failure!

A FAILURE!!

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']How good is river city ransom EX? I hear it has some glitches or something...[/quote]

It is pretty good, but has some problems. The "honor" system kinda blows and requires you to grind for positive honor if you want folks to join your posse or requires you not to do any of the fun stuff. Special attack prices have skyrocketed to the order of HUNDREDS of dollars. I hope you look forward to kicking the shit out of Benny and Clyde that many times. Combine that with a save system that does not actually save your progress in the game, just your stats, and the entire thing feels dopier than it really should.

[quote name='Chacrana']Only good game I can think of is Final Fight One, but even then, I would rather play the arcade version on one of the Capcom Classics Collections.[/QUOTE]

Personally I think Final Fight One is maybe the best single player version of Final Fight as it's got a solid amount of content and unlockables (Final Fight CD might be number 2). I like any of the home versions over the arcade version actually.

[quote name='Josef']I've noticed pretty much all suggestions have been for the GBA. Are there any decent DS beat 'em ups?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Jest']Viewtiful Joe qualify as a beat-em-up? I never played it but it looked pretty cool on the DS.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DaBargainHunta']Star Wars Episode III is actually quite decent. Ignore the reviews and don't listen to the haters.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I enjoyed Star Wars Episode III. Not super GREAT, but it's worth playing if you're a fan of scrolling fighters. Viewtiful Joe looked nice, and I thought played fine, but somehow it wasn't very satisfying to me.

Haven't played Justice League: Flash or TMNT yet, but I've bought both recently, and of course Double Dragon is solid.

Seems like I'm forgetting some more...

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']how cheap does final fight one and/or double dragon advance go for?[/QUOTE]

I'd imagine that Double Dragon Advance would be tougher to find and thus generally more expensive, and Final Fight One was originally a part of the K-Mart Blue Light Clearance (Probably long gone by now), but they're both pretty cheap used at GameStop (DDA: $10, FFO: $5)

bread's done
Back