Duke Nukem Forever (360) $2.99 Best Buy

mikehalc

CAGiversary!
I looked around and didn't see that anybody had mentioned this yet. I've lurked around here for a while and wanted to contribute. Was in Best Buy just now in Tulsa and they had Duke Nukem Forever brand new for $2.99. I know the game isn't supposed to be good but I figured for three bucks, somebody might want to jump on that.

[quote name='TealPavelski']How are the Achievements in this game? I am on a pursuit to reach 200K Gamerscore by years end. I am currently at 180,205.[/QUOTE]

im not really sure about the achievements for this game ? but i did here about 1 big achievement for this game from every body that talks about it.... if you play it, you will be the 100th person to do so. lol, just kidding. i actualy have the game but never played it.

[quote name='TealPavelski']How are the Achievements in this game? I am on a pursuit to reach 200K Gamerscore by years end. I am currently at 180,205.[/QUOTE]

You'll get most by playing on easy/medium difficulty. Since you are a achievement whore, it should be worth the money though raging at some points if you try to get all the points. 7/10 difficulty to get all of it.

I got 800+ on it for beating it on I think medium, without going too far out of my way for collectables.

And I really don't understand why people come to every fucking thread that this game is mentioned in just to go "HURR DURR, THIS GAME SUCKS. I PLAYED IT FOR FIVE MINUTES/NOT AT ALL, AND DIDN'T EVEN GIVE IT A SHOT." I liked the original Duke Nukem, and I did get some enjoyment out of this game. The loading times aren't that bad, especially if it is installed and you have a laptop nearby to possibly surf the web while playing. And I enjoyed it more than any Call of Duty in recent memory, because it actually has some personality.

[quote name='mrcheapo11']And I really don't understand why people come to every fucking thread that this game is mentioned in just to go "HURR DURR, THIS GAME SUCKS. I PLAYED IT FOR FIVE MINUTES/NOT AT ALL, AND DIDN'T EVEN GIVE IT A SHOT."[/QUOTE]
Because that's the cool thing to do now and people love to jump on the bandwagon.:whistle2:#

[quote name='Alex121006']i cant see the reason for you to ask some one for an opinion or review on a game that is only $2.99 (new/sealed) i think any game that some body is even just a little interested in, thats only $2.99 is worth the $3 bucks just to try it for them self. im not trying to be an ass or anything, but if you are that curious about it, its worth the $3 bucks to try it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I understand that three bucks is a minuscule amount, but when you factor in Best Buy's Deal Of The Day's and @gamer coupons making certain games 10 dollars or less, you begin to wonder if you should put up a few extra dollars for a game that is worth it. We're all here for the same reason, and that's to get the best bang for the buck.

I say go for it. I had some fun with it. The first few levels, when you get shrunken down, and when you fight the big guy walking on the street and the big mother brain flying thing. It is definitely a bargain bin game, but it can be fun.

But maybe I'm a bad judge. Favorite games over the this generation include the likes of Deadly Premonition, Nier, EDF, and a bunch of others that most people didn't enjoy. Others I did also like (but weren't favorites) include Onechanabara and Splatterhouse.

[quote name='Camre'] The fact that it has dropped so low in price further shows that it isn't just the gamers that have no faith in the game, but the companies involved as well.[/QUOTE]

Yup because games like Fallout New Vegas,Vanquish and a host of other titles that were available multiple times for only 4.99 means the gamers and companies involved had no faith in those games since the price was so low according to this dumbass logic :roll:

[quote name='renique46']Yup because games like Fallout New Vegas,Vanquish and a host of other titles that were available multiple times for only 4.99 means the gamers and companies involved had no faith in those games since the price was so low according to this dumbass logic :roll:[/QUOTE]

Thank you :applause:.

Loading times are pretty bad, a bit longer than say Dead Rising 2 (installed), but nothing worth so much bitching over. It's like you guys have never played a PC shooter made prior to 2004, which is more-or-less exactly how this plays. The mechanics aren't broken, guns shoot like you'd expect, and Duke is still the same kind of funny he was all those years ago.

I bought it, then played it to completion on normal, and enjoyed it.

It just seems we have a lot of people
with entitlement issues
up in here tonight.:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I beat this game last night, and I had fun doing it. I played the game on easy, and a carried the golden gun though out the entire campain for the extra 50 cheevos. All in all it can be a pretty aweful game on face value. The way it treats women and the toilet humor are taken to extreems. The multiplayer is god awefully hard. I played 5 multiplayer matches and never leveled up.

What I did to make my experince better was to change the naritive in my mind.

My story goes something like this. "Duke" is a washed up body builder who lost to Arnold the Govenator some years back. He turned to drinking and pills and believes that the live Arnold lives should be his own. He really latched on to the Predator movie, and believes everyone should be treating him great because he saved the world from aliens many years ago. "Duke" now rests in a hospital bed as his substance abuse has taken it's toll on his body and his organs are now shutting down.

As the game opens up it has him talking to some nurses who, like the rest of the hospital staff, feed into the poor man's delusion. This roided out body builder has a horible sense of humor and his masogony is boarderline hateful due to his lack of success. He showed up at the hospital as a John Doe, but a janitor who feeds him beers on the sly has taken to calling him "Duke".

As "Duke" recounts his wild tales to anyone who will listen, some cracks in his little world start to show though. You might experince these as graphical bugs, but I know them to be his crumbeling reality. When the game ends, "Duke" dies in his bed, although he insits that it isn't the last the world has seen of him.

For 2.99 (or other prices around that) it's worth it. It's a piece of gaming history whether people like it or not and it's not like the game is broken or some insane glitch-fest. Same parts are even...dare I say...a little fun.

[quote name='Woot1337']So, all arguing aside, can anyone actually confirm this deal or is it YMMV?[/QUOTE]

Yeah kinda curious about this too. I'd snag a copy for 2.99. I can't seem to find it on Bestbuy.com. Is there a work around or does anyone have a SKU number that we can call Best Buy and ask?!?

It was clearanced out by Best Buy, some stores still have it in stock, doesn't show up on the online inventory checker. There isn't a big rush on the game, just check for it next time you're in store.

[quote name='brewin']Ive heard the multiplayer is actually pretty sweet and that the single player is horrible, but if you shut your brain off and play it on easy it can be a fun enough time. Ill drop $3 and if it sux that bad Ill give it to the same friend who gave me a copy of Evil Dead: Fistfull of Boomstick as a joke Bday gift a couple years back. Now THAT was funny... payback is gonna be a bitch.[/QUOTE]

I liked Fistfull of Boomstick.....

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:lol: People are so spoiled this gen. If something isn't teh pretty pretty shiny shiny and has the name Call Of Duty or Modern Warfare it's 'teh shit' to them.:roll:

I'll admit the load times between when ya croak and respawn suck ass, but this game is classic Duke through and through. If you're looking for a MW/COD clone then stay the hell away and go play your mainstream crap.[/QUOTE]

You have no idea as to what the hell you're talking about! I bought Duke Nukem 3D - The Atomic Edition for the PC back in 1996 and to this day it remains as one of my all-time favorite games.

DN Forever is nothing but an INSULT to true Duke fans everywhere. Infact, I actually blame the CoD/MW/Halo and other popular shooters of today for making DN Forever the crapfest that it is! Regenerating health, limited weapon carry, linear maps with no exploration options... that is anything BUT classic Duke! The only thing that they managed to carry over onto DNF properly is Duke's sense of humor, but it's still a far cry from the classic DN 3D shooter!

BTW, it's not just the Xbox 360 that's on sale at BB for $2.99, but the PS3 version as well (for anyone who does want to pick this game up). Target has it for $5, with the 3-D glasses.

[quote name='Al_001']You have no idea as to what the hell you're talking about! I bought Duke Nukem 3D - The Atomic Edition for the PC back in 1996 and to this day it remains as one of my all-time favorite games.

DN Forever is nothing but an INSULT to true Duke fans everywhere. Infact, I actually blame the CoD/MW/Halo and other popular shooters of today for making DN Forever the crapfest that it is! Regenerating health, limited weapon carry, linear maps with no exploration options... that is anything BUT classic Duke! The only thing that they managed to carry over onto DNF properly is Duke's sense of humor, but it's still a far cry from the classic DN 3D shooter!

BTW, it's not just the Xbox 360 that's on sale at BB for $2.99, but the PS3 version as well (for anyone who does want to pick this game up). Target has it for $5, with the 3-D glasses.[/QUOTE]

Gearbox did release a patch for the PC,which raised the weapon limit from 2 to 4.

[quote name='MunchnOnDoritos']^Maybe some people think those three dollars and change could be better spent elsewhere :roll:. Anyways, thanks OP, going to pick it up if I can even find it at my local Best Buy.[/QUOTE]

This months coupon on GCU has $5 off 9.99-19.99 used - %10 for unlocked at BB. I'm thinking $4 and tax is better spent elsewhere than on DNF.

[quote name='Rollobobo']Yeah kinda curious about this too. I'd snag a copy for 2.99. I can't seem to find it on Bestbuy.com. Is there a work around or does anyone have a SKU number that we can call Best Buy and ask?!?[/QUOTE]

As Irishsoccermbw points out, it's the clearance price (probably the rock-bottom clearance price), so if you want it, just grab it at whichever BB store you can find it in. Checking online won't help. The PS3 SKU # is 1443608. I'm not really sure about the Xbox 360 version.

[quote name='themaster20000']Gearbox did release a patch for the PC,which raised the weapon limit from 2 to 4.[/QUOTE]

So what? Have you played the original Duke Nukem 3D game from 1995? Or the expansion set that was released a year later? You could stockpile and carry a whole arsenal with you! And it's not just the limitation of weapons. They tried to make it too much like your typical shooter of today (but still managed to retain outdated graphics somehow) and f*ked up the game entirely! I loved the huge expansive levels that the classic Duke 3D game had. Exploring around for secrets and easter eggs with the jetpack, or with the scuba gear in underwater levels was half the fun.

I just couldn't believe that they screwed up this game that badly. I was so looking forward to it at around this time last year. It was beyond disappointing when it finally came out.

[quote name='Sevens']I beat this game last night, and I had fun doing it. I played the game on easy, and a carried the golden gun though out the entire campain for the extra 50 cheevos. All in all it can be a pretty aweful game on face value. The way it treats women and the toilet humor are taken to extreems. The multiplayer is god awefully hard. I played 5 multiplayer matches and never leveled up.

What I did to make my experince better was to change the naritive in my mind.

My story goes something like this. "Duke" is a washed up body builder who lost to Arnold the Govenator some years back. He turned to drinking and pills and believes that the live Arnold lives should be his own. He really latched on to the Predator movie, and believes everyone should be treating him great because he saved the world from aliens many years ago. "Duke" now rests in a hospital bed as his substance abuse has taken it's toll on his body and his organs are now shutting down.

As the game opens up it has him talking to some nurses who, like the rest of the hospital staff, feed into the poor man's delusion. This roided out body builder has a horible sense of humor and his masogony is boarderline hateful due to his lack of success. He showed up at the hospital as a John Doe, but a janitor who feeds him beers on the sly has taken to calling him "Duke".

As "Duke" recounts his wild tales to anyone who will listen, some cracks in his little world start to show though. You might experince these as graphical bugs, but I know them to be his crumbeling reality. When the game ends, "Duke" dies in his bed, although he insits that it isn't the last the world has seen of him.[/QUOTE]

For the love of God (or any other deity that may or may not exist), learn how to spell, you ill educated bastard.

I look at this game like a bad B-movie. You go into it knowing that it's not going to be good, but that's half the fun. It's a competant shooter, and the big bad enemies are pretty fun. Plus, regardless of the guy hating it so much for it being a slap in the face of other Dukes(You're right, it should have had open maps, that surprised me a lot too), the basic mechanics are fun and he has a sense of humor just the same as I remember it. I even like the little shit, like at the beginning of the game how you can erase and draw on the white board and everything. It's hard to find as much fault as people have with this game.

Are the graphics outdated -- yes, they were when it came out, which is why I waited to get it, but it's still worth 2-dare I say it?-5 dollars easy, if not a little more if you just enjoy the humor.

Everyone hates it so much, that who knows, maybe it'll be a worthwhile collectors item sometime. I mean, it's no Superman 64, so it's definitely not the worst game ever.

I wrote this in a prior thread and will copy/paste it here.

---------------
Everyone is missing out on DNF due to the crappy reviews. I just played through it last week and thought it was great. It's a decent length campaign with a good amount of variety. I even went back to some chapters for achievements I had missed -- something I never do, because I didn't want the campaign to be over yet.

Sure -- Duke is a relic from another era, the jokes are off-color, the game is sexist and the premise is ridiculous... but take it for what it's worth and it's a decent game.

So many reviewers took a high and mighty stance on the objectification of women and the lowbrow jokes... fuck them. I had a great time and hope they make a sequel.
---------------

There's a lot of people in this thread giving it crap, but NONE OF THEM HAVE PLAYED IT!

For $3 you could do worse.

I feel like a lot of the people hating this game loved 50 Cent: Blood in the Sand (Which I'm playing now and think is hilarious/great) and I feel this is similar in the vein of ridiculousness and one-liners.

[quote name='tuffguycore']I look at this game like a bad B-movie. You go into it knowing that it's not going to be good, but that's half the fun. [/QUOTE]

Agreed. If you understand the appeal of Plan 9 From Outer Space, you'll have absolutely no problem shelling out three bucks for this game.

The price point is obviously not the main issue at hand here, it's the value of your time. I paid ~30 for it back when that was a "deal". I forced myself to finish it because I had spent so much money on it. I guarantee that if I'd only spent a few dollars that I wouldn't have made it even halfway through. It started out fun and humorous but wore thin quick. You surely won't regret spending the $3, but you might regret spending your time with it

Wow, I wonder how low this will go.

I know I'm the minority here but this game wasn't that bad if you played Duke back in the day. Yes, this game is about 15 years outdated but at the very least, it stayed true to the series.

I hope we get another Duke game... hopefully one that's more modern. But I doubt it, seeing how this game was almost universally detested.

Even if a shitty game is FREE it doesn't make it worth playing. Sure you could buy Duke for $3, but the time spent playing it could be spent playing a better game. Or staring at a wall.

I played and beat DNF in about eight hours and don't feel like I wasted my time at all. Well, no more than any other game-related time-wasting activity that is.

I mean, if I'm playing a game and really not having a good time of it, I tend to quit playing no matter how much I paid for it. There are plenty of games I've paid full price for that I know I'll never finish. Seems silly to dump hours into a game you don't enjoy just to recoup an investment.

[quote name='daminion']I wrote this in a prior thread and will copy/paste it here.

---------------
Everyone is missing out on DNF due to the crappy reviews. I just played through it last week and thought it was great. It's a decent length campaign with a good amount of variety. I even went back to some chapters for achievements I had missed -- something I never do, because I didn't want the campaign to be over yet.

Sure -- Duke is a relic from another era, the jokes are off-color, the game is sexist and the premise is ridiculous... but take it for what it's worth and it's a decent game.

So many reviewers took a high and mighty stance on the objectification of women and the lowbrow jokes... fuck them. I had a great time and hope they make a sequel.
---------------

There's a lot of people in this thread giving it crap, but NONE OF THEM HAVE PLAYED IT!

For $3 you could do worse.[/QUOTE]

As I ALREADY STATED in my previous posts on this thread (which YOU by the way SO SELFISHLY OVERLOOKED), I DID play DNF and I played the original Duke Nukem 3D game back from the mid-90s as well (which happens to be one of my all-time favorite games). But this piece of crap known as Duke Nukem Forever doesn't even begin to compare to that classic Duke 3D game of yester-years! They totally fu*cked this game up in every way possible with the EXCEPTION of retaining Duke's humor (and that means the low brow jokes and the womanizing). That's about the only thing they got right... everything else they screwed up royally! So learn to actually READ what other posters are saying you idiot, before you repeat your bullcrap again!

[quote name='ZForce915']Even if a shitty game is FREE it doesn't make it worth playing. Sure you could buy Duke for $3, but the time spent playing it could be spent playing a better game. Or staring at a wall.[/QUOTE]

Did YOU play it, or are you talking out of your ass like everyone else who simple looked at a IGN review and was like lol bad game.

[quote name='Al_001']As I ALREADY STATED in my previous posts on this thread (which YOU by the way SO SELFISHLY OVERLOOKED), I DID play DNF and I played the original Duke Nukem 3D game back from the mid-90s as well (which happens to be one of my all-time favorite games). But this piece of crap known as Duke Nukem Forever doesn't even begin to compare to that classic Duke 3D game of yester-years! They totally fu*cked this game up in every way possible with the EXCEPTION of retaining Duke's humor (and that means the low brow jokes and the womanizing). That's about the only thing they got right... everything else they screwed up royally! So learn to actually READ what other posters are saying you idiot, before you repeat your bullcrap again![/QUOTE]
Prove it.

[quote name='Turbojugend']Agreed. If you understand the appeal of Plan 9 From Outer Space, you'll have absolutely no problem shelling out three bucks for this game.[/QUOTE]

It's not the money you fool! It's the fact the DNF developers took what was a greatly revered gaming series, and absolutely crapped all over it!

[quote name='Woot1337']So, all arguing aside, can anyone actually confirm this deal or is it YMMV?[/QUOTE]

It is confirmed. Good luck finding a copy though, it went to this price about 2 months ago. Don't make a special trip for it, but if you're in Best Buy you might as well see if they have a copy (if you want it).

[quote name='daminion']
[/QUOTE]

I have played it, and it sucks. Feel free to waste your own time looking up my profile and seeing that i have achievements for the game if you need proof.

The only people who defend the game are people who haven't come to realize that their free time is worth something. This game is a waste of your time.

Just going to say for those that might want a more recent comparison of quality for DNF, instead of just hearing us go back and forth, here are a few titles from either end of the spectrum (all my opinion):

Games I thought were equal/on-par with DNF:

-Prey
-Perfect Dark Zero.
-Turok reboot

Games I think were worse than DNF:

-Alone in the Dark (original, not Inferno)
-Clive Barker's Jericho
-Legendary
-Turning Point: Fall of Man

I'm not going to bother listing "better than" games, because that's pointless. We all know this isn't a stellar AAA game, but at the very least it's a B game who's novelty is enough to keep some of us interested, and others it won't.

[quote name='cthomer5000']
The only people who defend the game are people who haven't come to realize that their free time is worth something. This game is a waste of your time.[/QUOTE]

I take offense to that, good sir.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='GUNNM']Prove it.[/QUOTE]

Go back a few pages and read my initial posts where I describe the key differences between what the classic Duke Nukem 3D gameplay and DNF are, you lazy bastard. This game was a total letdown for an old-school gamer and Duke Nukem fan like me!

I won't play this game because I have a wife, a daughter, and a mother and what I've seen of it offends me. I won't play it for any price. If you guys can't find it at Best Buy, look at Target, I've seen stacks of it there for $3 for weeks now. It's in the plastic display case.

For you guys talking about quitting games that you don't like, I typically avoid that so I don't waste money but I've recently come to the conclusion that I only live so long and only have so many hours of gaming time in that life so I want to only play good stuff. With that reasoning in mind, I sold Red Dead Redemption on eBay after playing it for a couple of hours. I got it after I was assured that people who don't like westerns enjoyed it. I don't like westerns and I did NOT enjoy it.

[quote name='Turbojugend']You're quite hostile.[/QUOTE]

Well you're quite the idiot, so it takes a bit of emphasis to get through to people like you!

What a bunch of crybabies some of your are. Reporting posts to get them deleted because you've been exposed for being the idiots you are!

Paid $100 for the 360 Balls of Steel edition, $30 for the collector's guide last year and a $5 PS3 copy this year...totally worth it for me. Yes it's not the greatest game in the world but it's decent. Plus there's the forbidden fruit factor since it was supposedly dead as of 2009. I can't wait to see what Gearbox/Triptych comes up with next.

Game was fine. If you like Duke 3D youll like this. If you dont like Duke, never played it or just want to be a sheep like so many others and bash it, then you wont like the new game.
The load times bothered me the most- 30 second wait after every death.

[quote name='Blaster man']I won't play this game because I have a wife, a daughter, and a mother and what I've seen of it offends me. I won't play it for any price. If you guys can't find it at Best Buy, look at Target, I've seen stacks of it there for $3 for weeks now. It's in the plastic display case.

For you guys talking about quitting games that you don't like, I typically avoid that so I don't waste money but I've recently come to the conclusion that I only live so long and only have so many hours of gaming time in that life so I want to only play good stuff. With that reasoning in mind, I sold Red Dead Redemption on eBay after playing it for a couple of hours. I got it after I was assured that people who don't like westerns enjoyed it. I don't like westerns and I did NOT enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

You sound like a barrel of fun. All you had to do for RDR was look at a couple of videos online and you would see its a western through and through. The box art makes it known.

Plus if youre going to come into a thread about a game to be holier than thou, thats usually not too constructive.

[quote name='cthomer5000']It is confirmed. Good luck finding a copy though, it went to this price about 2 months ago. Don't make a special trip for it, but if you're in Best Buy you might as well see if they have a copy (if you want it).

I have played it, and it sucks. Feel free to waste your own time looking up my profile and seeing that i have achievements for the game if you need proof.

The only people who defend the game are people who haven't come to realize that their free time is worth something. This game is a waste of your time.[/QUOTE]

:roll:Great Logic = "game i don't like means you all don't value your free time herp derp!"

bread's done
Back