Duke Nukem Forever discussion - Out now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it safe to say this is the most anticipated game in video game history? I mean we've been waiting over a decade for this, I can't think of any other game that people have waited this long for, at least that was actually in production and not just a wish.

[quote name='Clak']Is it safe to say this is the most anticipated game in video game history? I mean we've been waiting over a decade for this, I can't think of any other game that people have waited this long for, at least that was actually in production and not just a wish.[/QUOTE]

The closest thing would probably be John Romero's Daikatana and that didn't turn out so well. :cry:

Now I see why they delayed it from May to June. Look at what comes out in May for shooters (at least according to Amazon)

May 17th Brink
May 24th Fear 3
May 31st Red Faction: Armageddon

L.A Noire also comes out in May.

Needless to say theres not much competition in June (Call of Juarez being the only big shooter, the rest of the games mainly movie games like Transformers and Green Latern). It will probably help It's sales a lot by avoding the trifecta of shooters.

[quote name='wakawakawa']Gearbox is doing it. Borderlands turned out well and some of the Gearbox guys actually worked at 3d Realms at some point. I assume the game isn't cursed and that they will be able to bring it out by winter 2011 at the latest.[/QUOTE]

No, they aren't, really. The game was mostly done when 3D Realms ran out of cash and had to fire all of their employees in May 2009. After that, a bunch of those ex-3D Realms people kept unofficially working on the game literally out of their homes for a while, before a bunch of them formed a new studio called Triptych Games, to officially continue work on the game. Triptych is actually the studio doing the core work on finishing the content of the game, and Gearbox is acting is support role to them.

Randy Pitchford would probably like you to believe it's the other way around. He's a fat-headed braggart who would love to take credit for the game for himself and his studio, but that's a goddamn lie. This game has hundreds of man-years of work put into it, and only a small bit of that is Gearbox. We keep hearing about Gearbox in the DNF marketing because of how successful Borderlands was, not because they are the ones actually doing the core work of finishing the game.

Disappointing the game is meh but the demo was enough for me to cancel my pre-order.

I'll most likely pick up this game at $10 or $20 which is only a matter of time with the holiday season not too far away. I can wait 6+ months for it as I waited this long already.

I played the game a month or so ago and it was god-awful.

I cannot imagine this is worth anybody's $60. If you like the idea of Duke Nukem, just play Bulletstorm.

This is definitely nothing more than a Goozex receive for me. Looks pretty terrible but I still feel a weird compulsion to play it just because of its history.

Too bad, but I honestly didn't expect anything worthwhile.

Console versions are getting negativity but the PC version are getting decent to positive reviews. I'm leaning towards buying an OnLive version of the game. I have til 11pm Central to decide.

I switched to PC version and preordered on Steam. I don't mind a graphics downgrade on consoles and would actually rather play it on 360, but the load times are terrible and I could see them ruining the game for me.

After seeing the weapons video for the game, I'm not surprised with the reviews.

I agree they get stuck on the Duke persona and that he's immature and blah blah blah, but that's what made Duke, Duke.

I do agree on most other parts of the reviews, specifically IGN's, even though I havent played the game myself, how many years does it take to get a polished game? Graphics aren't everything but 15 years in "development" and this is the best they can come up with? Can't wait to pick it up on the super cheap though just because I'm still a Duke fan.

I'm hoping for this to be like the Mortal Kombat 9 of shooters. MK9 isn't a great fighting game, but I have more fun with it than any other fighter released in the past several years. Maybe Duke (despite the flaws) will be the same. Personally, I'd be happy with Duke Nukem 3D in actual 3D.

Gamefly should have this to me shortly..

man whats up with the framerate and technical issues on 360.. youd figure they would iron that out..

[quote name='GohanX']I'm hoping for this to be like the Mortal Kombat 9 of shooters. MK9 isn't a great fighting game, but I have more fun with it than any other fighter released in the past several years. Maybe Duke (despite the flaws) will be the same. Personally, I'd be happy with Duke Nukem 3D in actual 3D.[/QUOTE]

Who are these people saying MK9 isn't a great fighting game? :lol:

Duke seems like fun though from the demo. The demo turned me on to the game...apparently it did the opposite with everyone else. I'll get Duke, but not sure if I'll get $60 of enjoyment out of it.

[quote name='limelight022']This is going to be one of those games that people will love or hate.[/QUOTE]

Then you would think one reviewer would love it.

The usual suspects who go easy on games, such as IGN and Gamepro, have given the title mediocre scores.

The reviews claiming misogyny and that gamers that grew up are funny to read, but most early reviews point out fatal flaws and stale gameplay. I don't detect a failure to live up to lofty expectations, but a failure to craft a good game.

I get the feeling that had this game come out in 1999 it would have been received well, but a good game in 1999 is in a lot of cases not a good game in 2011.

Awesomeness of Mortal Kombat aside, the general consensus I get from the various reviews of DNF is it would have been good, say, 14 years ago.

Thoughts so far:

fuck the people hating on this game.

I don't really know what people were expecting. It's 12 years in the making. I don't understand why people were thinking it'd be a 10/10 genre-changing blockbuster. It's a nostalgia filled current gen Duke game. It doesn't feel dated. The level design is fun so far from the 2 hours I've played. The humor is still funny - One loading screen tip said "Take less damage to avoid getting killed" and at one point Duke tries to open a door only for a robot voice to say "Red keycard required" only for Duke to say "Red keycard? fuck that" as he pulls the doors apart. The graphics aren't going to be in competition with BF3, but they're certainly not terrible.

I don't love the 2-weapon limit, but so far I'd say I'm easily getting my money's worth.

Yeah, I'm not getting the negativitythis games getting. It's classic Duke, but brought mostly up to date. It's fun and it's Duke. Not much more needs to be said.

[quote name='eastx']Agreed. MK9 is my favorite fighting game of this generation.[/QUOTE]

????? I want to read this as sarcastic but i no know....:whistle2:#

waiting for SFxT and TS online to come out. For me personally, Third Strike trumps all.

As for Duke, i am holding off on picking it up and will do the rent before buy. I'm not going to judge it without actually playing it as i do this with every game since i try not to rely on reviews too much...but i just want to be sure it's worth day 1 money or waiting till goes on sale from various retailers. I'm going to get it regardless since i am a Duke fan but its just when.

This game is horrendously dated, it plays for crap, looks like crap, is crap.

It's a game from 2000, Gearbox got handled the remains and told "make it playable". Deal with it.

I love it. Finally get to play this game after all these years. Most of us were getting our first pubes when this was first announced.

I don't understand the hate for this game. Its fun sure the load times suck and MP is total shit but its a pretty fun SP game.

[quote name='integralsmatic']????? I want to read this as sarcastic but i no know....:whistle2:#

waiting for SFxT and TS online to come out. For me personally, Third Strike trumps all.

As for Duke, i am holding off on picking it up and will do the rent before buy. I'm not going to judge it without actually playing it as i do this with every game since i try not to rely on reviews too much...but i just want to be sure it's worth day 1 money or waiting till goes on sale from various retailers. I'm going to get it regardless since i am a Duke fan but its just when.[/QUOTE]
He didn't say most balanced or best. He enjoyed it, I don't find that hard to believe at all o_O

And reading a lot of fan impressions I REALLY want to try this game now, the Demo was Eh for me, but for $20-$30, I can definetely dig it.

[quote name='The Holy Pretzle']He didn't say most balanced or best. He enjoyed it, I don't find that hard to believe at all o_O

And reading a lot of fan impressions I REALLY want to try this game now, the Demo was Eh for me, but for $20-$30, I can definetely dig it.[/QUOTE]

Man i have to work on my comprehension or just read past posts :lol:. And yes i enjoy MK 9 also even if I am utterly turrible at it.

I just downloaded the demo and it was ok I guess. I am sucker for duke so it gets a pass from me. yeah 20-30 is a must buy for me at that point.

Yeah, I rented this on Redbox and played about an hour and half. Cheap $2 bias aside, IDK why all the hate. I guess its b/c most of the reviewers on other sites were younger than 10 years old when Duke3D hit and don't really get it. I'd say if you were a teenager (roughly 15-16, like I was) when that game came out, then Forever is not really a let down..

Every single one-liner that came out of Duke's mouth made me smile. All the fan service is great. The graphics are meh, but I think that is part of the appeal. I think its deliberate too. The controls handle surprisingly well, the variety of environments and vehicles is nice. Plus the achievements are/look fun, come easy and probably able to get close to 1000 w/ a couple play thru's.

Do I think its a $60 game? Probably not, but I will definitely add it to the library. No sense in hating this game..its definitely not bad-bad like the Dark Voids/Bionic Commandos of this generation..

[quote name='token2k6']Yeah, I rented this on Redbox and played about an hour and half. Cheap $2 bias aside, IDK why all the hate. I guess its b/c most of the reviewers on other sites were younger than 10 years old when Duke3D hit and don't really get it. I'd say if you were a teenager (roughly 15-16, like I was) when that game came out, then Forever is not really a let down..

Every single one-liner that came out of Duke's mouth made me smile. All the fan service is great. The graphics are meh, but I think that is part of the appeal. I think its deliberate too. The controls handle surprisingly well, the variety of environments and vehicles is nice. Plus the achievements are/look fun, come easy and probably able to get close to 1000 w/ a couple play thru's.

Do I think its a $60 game? Probably not, but I will definitely add it to the library. No sense in hating this game..its definitely not bad-bad like the Dark Voids/Bionic Commandos of this generation..[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more and can't believe all the haters out there. Picked it up for $40 used with a coupon and well worth the money. A must have for anyone who played Duke on the PC back in the day

Both the sp and mp are fantastic. I don't understand the reviews. Tons of unlockables in mp.. TONS. Huge difference from the demo I played.

[quote name='Big St3ph3n']Im ashamed i rented this for 2 dollars off of redbox! haha.[/QUOTE]

Me too, and I feel like I wasted my money. I played a lot of Duke Nukem 3D when it came out, so I am familiar with Duke. However, this game is just unpolished garbage. You can make many excuses, but I wonder what gearbox did with this game. Animations are terrible, graphics are bad. Adding on texture filters may have actually made the game look worse.

This game just is not fun. Why was it released at $60? This is by no means a $60 release.

In the long run the game could have probably made more money discounted.

I expected nothing from this game and that is exactly what I got. I am glad some of you are getting fun out of it.

[quote name='Gamehead']
I expected nothing from this game and that is exactly what I got. I am glad some of you are getting fun out of it.[/QUOTE]

Come one what other game can you smack wall boobies and get doused with milk , or go on a hunt for popcorn , condom & a vibrator for a stripper

[quote name='bubbafett4hire']Come one what other game can you smack wall boobies and get doused with milk , or go on a hunt for popcorn , condom & a vibrator for a stripper[/QUOTE]

I have read this before somewhere else, but I feel like Bulletstorm is the "Duke Nukem" of this generation. Crude humor and fun gameplay all in one package.

I know that Gearbox's new Duke Nukem game (whenever that appears) will be so much better than DNF.

[quote name='token2k6']Yeah, I rented this on Redbox and played about an hour and half. Cheap $2 bias aside, IDK why all the hate. I guess its b/c most of the reviewers on other sites were younger than 10 years old when Duke3D hit and don't really get it. I'd say if you were a teenager (roughly 15-16, like I was) when that game came out, then Forever is not really a let down..

Do I think its a $60 game? Probably not, but I will definitely add it to the library. No sense in hating this game..its definitely not bad-bad like the Dark Voids/Bionic Commandos of this generation..[/QUOTE]
Agreed, I think the game is getting a lot more flack than it deserves. Shipwreck's review seems to be the most fair that I have seen. Funny thing is how much praise it was getting from "journalists" before it came out and then post release everybody hates it. But that's their opinion, and as long as they back it up I'm fine with it even if I don't agree.

The game is far from perfect, but I just beat it last night and had a lot of fun. Duke's one liners made me smile and even actually laugh aloud at some spots. Really the only complaints I have are the graphics (though the art design is more creative than a lot of games these days) and the load times. It was nice to play a game where I can shoot enemies and not wonder how far I have to push forward to trigger the spawn to turn off (CoD).

I will probably get flamed for the CoD comment, but I liked Duke. I couldn't honestly recommend it at $60, but I know my friends that played the original in co-op with me would have fun with it, whether they rented it or bought it cheap.

I was surprised about the reviews since I enjoyed the early access demo. Based on that, the game seems like a worthy $30 purchase. Full disclosure: I had never played a Duke game before this.

[quote name='eastx']Agreed. MK9 is my favorite fighting game of this generation.[/QUOTE] I third or 4th this or whatever. MK is a great game.

Duke would be like the Shaq-Fu of fighting games ;) fuck

For those that have beat it, how long does it take on average difficulty for an average player? I'm pondering the $2 redbox, but don't really want to keep it for three days. If it can be done in one or two sittings over a 6-8 hour span then I think I'll grab it.

[quote name='nasum']For those that have beat it, how long does it take on average difficulty for an average player? I'm pondering the $2 redbox, but don't really want to keep it for three days. If it can be done in one or two sittings over a 6-8 hour span then I think I'll grab it.[/QUOTE]

I just redboxed it myself. Not due til tomorrow at 9, so I'll let ya know. If I can't finish it, I'll just re-rent it next week for another $2. Should be able to finish it in 4 days and for $4, it's not a bad deal.

Finished my initial playthrough this afternoon. I'm a bit mixed on it. It had it's moments, but felt lacking. It being dated didn't bother me one bit. But I think for me, I was expecting more action than what I felt like I had. When I was blasting enemies, I was having some fun. When I wasn't, not so much. The minigames were also a nice touch, if a little frustrating (I'm looking at you pinball).

Overall, the only thing that I was generally displeased with as a whole was the load times. There may have been a few other minor things here or there, but if there were, they weren't dealbreakers by any stretch.

Also, only messed with it for maybe an hour, but for the single player being what it is, the multiplayer is fun. Reminiscent of the old duke / quake days. Just some crazy hectic fun. And minimal respawn time is a plus to me. My only complaint? I seem to suck. :razz:

I only rented it and will probably give it back tomorrow, but I can see myself picking this up when it hits $20 or so, if only to wrap up the final achievements (don't think I have time to do so now). That was another nice thing (although hardly important). It's a relatively easy 1000G. Just a few frustrating ones, but even those aren't too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back