DX10 on Notebooks

Full_Throttle

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Not sure if there's been a topic on this yet. Too lazy to check. My question is, by looking at examples throughout history, would it be more beneficial to purchase a notebook with a DirectX9 card (ie HP dv9000t GeForce Go 7600) over the summer, or should I just wait for the DX10 GPUs to appear? My budget is around $1700 max for a desktop-replacement notebook (replacement = 17" and does what a desktop does, but is still somewhat portable).

1) Buy DX9 GPU or wait for DX10?
2) Is it possible to upgrade DX9 to DX10 to play new games (although not with full DX10 eye-candy)?
3) Is there any rumor of when DX10 is appearing (July?) and how much they are going to cost?

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='Full_Throttle']Not sure if there's been a topic on this yet. Too lazy to check. My question is, by looking at examples throughout history, would it be more beneficial to purchase a notebook with a DirectX9 card (ie HP dv9000t GeForce Go 7600) over the summer, or should I just wait for the DX10 GPUs to appear? My budget is around $1700 max for a desktop-replacement notebook (replacement = 17" and does what a desktop does, but is still somewhat portable).

1) Buy DX9 GPU or wait for DX10?
2) Is it possible to upgrade DX9 to DX10 to play new games (although not with full DX10 eye-candy)?
3) Is there any rumor of when DX10 is appearing (July?) and how much they are going to cost?

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

If you would look at one Crysis screenshot you know that wasting money on a card that doesn't not do DX10 is something to be ashamed off and could possible cause dis-ownment by family or friends. ;)

If you're going to spend $1700 on a notebook, you might as well try and get the best possible config you can. Not too sure on when DX10 cards will come out on notebooks, but I would wait if I was going to spend that much.

[quote name='Thongsy']If you're going to spend $1700 on a notebook, you might as well try and get the best possible config you can. Not too sure on when DX10 cards will come out on notebooks, but I would wait if I was going to spend that much.[/quote]

1700 max. I'd prefer around 1300. But if there really is a $400 increase in DX10 GPUs and the new Santa Rosa chipset, I can dish that out.

Asus showed off their GF Mobile 8600 and 8400 in their upcoming laptop specs in CES. So we're getting closer to 8800 Go, just a matter of a couple months for the true announcement and less than half a year to hit the shelf I would say.

I agree with the above post.

I doubt we'll be seeing games with NO DX9 support for a long, long time but if you really want the best graphics available you should definitely wait it out.

I've been thinking about getting a desktop replacement but I'm going to wait until I can get a DX10 GPU and a quad core CPU.

How long are you planning on keeping this particular notebook? Are you the type that tends to buy new games at their immediate release, and what sort of games do you tend to play?

If you're only planning on keeping the thing for say, 1-2 years, then it is likely more of an issue of how patient you are feeling. Depending on how your general computing habits, it might be more worthwhile to get a solid machine with current hardware and spend the difference on RAM. Also, keep in mind that a mobile graphics card is likely to show it's age much faster it's desktop cousin, and the longer you intend to keep it, the larger of a problem it might become.

[quote name='Fox5']Generally, you'll be better off buying a cheap notebook (sub $1000) and just upgrading every year and a half to 2 years.

Alternatively, get a laptop with a decent processor and ram but crap graphics card, and an ExpressCard slot, and get one of these:
http://www.dailytech.com/ASUS+Unveils+External+Graphics+Card/article5602.htm[/QUOTE]
it kinda just kills the whole meaning to a laptop imo, I mean...people get a laptop to have everything inside and quick to carry...don't wanna have to start carrying pieces, adapters, on top of cases, and everything else...

[quote name='Jewelz23']it kinda just kills the whole meaning to a laptop imo, I mean...people get a laptop to have everything inside and quick to carry...don't wanna have to start carrying pieces, adapters, on top of cases, and everything else...[/QUOTE]

This would be useful for people who want a gaming desktop, yet also want the portability from time to time that a laptop provides. Just unhook and go, yet without sacrificing gaming performance.

[quote name='Fox5']This would be useful for people who want a gaming desktop, yet also want the portability from time to time that a laptop provides. Just unhook and go, yet without sacrificing gaming performance.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it seems like it may make a lot more notebooks viable as gaming systems. I wonder how much it will cost though, and whether it supports high-end cards (ie supplies enough power and has room for two slot cards). Hopefully it will also be very compatible with notebooks and Windows (ie no weird problems).

I'm STILL waiting for DX 10 GPUs. I've been waiting since August. I thought for sure they'd hit in November-all the rumors pointed to a launch at the same time as the desktop parts.

Now we still don't even have a date on the mid level cards. And I have no idea if a mid-level card would even match, let alone exceed the performance of a Geforce 7900GS or 7950GTX.

I guess Dell's the way to go though, which means either an e1705 or m1710. Of course if that Asus thingee works out, theoretically even their cheaper 15" notebook would be viable, and the e1705 could be effectively upgraded.

Hmm...hopefully Asus' thing will let you still use the internal video for the internal screen at the same time.

EDIT: Also...why does Asus' thing have a dial on it? :D

[quote name='Wolfpup']
EDIT: Also...why does Asus' thing have a dial on it? :D[/QUOTE]

It's to control the display on the external unit... buttons would've made more sense but I guess a knob works better (or looks cooler).

Don't expect any DX10 based laptops until the lower end DX10 cards come out. The 8600/8300 series card should be hitting soon so I expect DX10 ready laptops by summer.

That stinks it's going to be that long...

and do you think an 8600 can beat a 7900 for performance?

I can just see waiting and waiting and waiting, finally having them hit in July...and they're worse than something I could have bought a year earlier.

Well, those were just my estimates... not necessarily true that it'll take that long (or maybe they'll take longer).

From what I've seen, it seems like the 8600 ULTRA (desktop card, no laptop version yet) has specs to take on the 7900GS. It has 64 Stream processors, 256bit, 500 core, 1400 mem, and 256/512MB memory.

I'm not sure how a Stream processor compares with a pixel pipes/shaders, but all the other specs seem to say that the 8600 ULTRA should be able to take on the 7900GT at least, but not the GTS.

Take note though, that the 8600 ULTRA is expected to be $180 which is less than a 7900GT currently. It seems like there's a gap there between the 8600 ULTRA and the 8800GTS performance and price-wise though.

Then there's ATI... who's R600 core GPU is said to beat the 8800GTX! I'm wondering what their mid-range cards will be like.:drool:

I have a hard time believing it'll touch the 8800GTX, just since supposedly it only has half the shaders.

I just wish they'd hurry up and stick these in notebooks already :whistle2:(

I've taken a look at the ASUS External, and talked it out with some of my friends. I've decided that it wouldn't be the best choice because of the interface. Express isn't exactly... the fastest, to say the least. But I might just do it if they come out with a DX10 card in one of those.

Also, I read somewhere on NotebookReview forums or something that you can upgrade a notebook video card if it has a certain type of interface, which I'm not sure what it is. If I would get a 7600 Go in a notebook, would I later be able to upgrade it to a DX10 desktop card (assuming I have the correct type of interface... if anyone knows what it is, please say it)?

[quote name='Full_Throttle']I've taken a look at the ASUS External, and talked it out with some of my friends. I've decided that it wouldn't be the best choice because of the interface. Express isn't exactly... the fastest, to say the least. But I might just do it if they come out with a DX10 card in one of those.[/quote]

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think it's PCI Express x1. That'll throttle a video card somewhat-last time a comparison was done, there was a drop off below x4, but it's still better than having an old GPU :)

Also, I read somewhere on NotebookReview forums or something that you can upgrade a notebook video card if it has a certain type of interface, which I'm not sure what it is. If I would get a 7600 Go in a notebook, would I later be able to upgrade it to a DX10 desktop card (assuming I have the correct type of interface... if anyone knows what it is, please say it)?

Nope. I think Nvidia was trying to push a standardized system, but it's not really used. Only system I can think of that uses it are some iMacs-and even then it's not like you can actually go to a store and buy cards in that format since it isn't used widely.

Basically GPUs only work in the system they were built for.

bread's done
Back