EA Origin Client - 60% off selected PC games, content, 800 Bioware point packs, etc.

Callandor

CAGiversary!
Feedback
37 (100%)
OK, EA has a promotion through their Origin PC client right now for 60% off. Code is ORIGIN60. Put it in at checkout.

You have to go through the store in the Origin client itself; the code will not work through the Origin web site store.

The code will NOT work on preorders (BF3, ME3, etc) and doesn't work on all games, namely newer ones (FIFA 12).

It does work on many older games (Alice, Bulletstorm, Crysis 2, Dead Space 2, Dragon Age's, Mass Effect 1 and 2, etc) and also works on some DLC.

It also works on the 800 Bioware Point pack (for Dragon Age, Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 2 content), but not the 1600 point pack

Credit to Neogaf, as that is where I saw it mentioned first. It was also mentioned in this end of thread: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306290&highlight=origin

[quote name='MSUHitman']In terms of Bioware DLC, I would say the ones worth purchasing are:

ME 2- Lair of the Shadowbroker and Kasumi's Stolen Memory (extra character and her flash grenades and the SMG you find in the vault are MUST-HAVES for playing the game on Insanity or Hardcore.)

I know CheapyD loves Overlord but I found it kinda dull. It's worth buying on sale but for now (there are some rumblings that it MIGHT be taken into account in ME 3) but it's not as good as Lair and doesn't have the perks of Kasumi minus getting more XP. The Arrival is downright disappointing and pointless since the game is going to tell you what happened in the first few minutes and there's even a Dark Horse comic if you can't wait that long. No matter if you do that DLC or not, EVERY single Shepard story in ME 3 will have what happens in Arrival happen. I paid $7 for it and feel swindled and disappointed, almost as bad as Witch Hunt for DA: Origins.

DA 2- Both Legacy and Mark of the Assassin are awesome, but you probably want to play them post-game as they are fairly difficult and you need access to the potions you can throw to revive your party members. Also the sets of armor you can find in them scale to your level but only when you play the DLC so if you play them post-game they are the best sets in the game but if you do it during your main playthrough the set you get in Act 3 (Champion set) will be better.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for this list. Are any of the DLC for Dragon Age: Origin worth getting?

[quote name='Honeybaked Ham']Thank you for this list. Are any of the DLC for Dragon Age: Origin worth getting?[/QUOTE]

No, because you'd be buying the Ultimate Edition, which comes with everything.

Unless you already own vanilla Dragon Age: Origins, in which case: you poor bastard.

I got Dragon Age: Origins a while back when Amazon had the mac version on sale for $2.50 but it registered on PC through Origin. Just grab good deals when I see them.

I bought all 4 of the mass effect 2 dlc story packs and used leftover pts to buy the firepower pack. I actually have enough to buy the rest of the item packs as well.

Still doesn't come close to the deals the xbox versions have been getting. I seem to remember all the Mass Effect 2 DLC going for $2 a pop a few months back and this is the closest the PC people will get to that. Doesn't help that Bioware decided to adopt the Microsoft points model to sell their DLC and keep it off Steam and even Origin entirely. No matter what you're always left with extra points. *frowny face*

[quote name='JohnDM']Still doesn't come close to the deals the xbox versions have been getting. I seem to remember all the Mass Effect 2 DLC going for $2 a pop a few months back and this is the closest the PC people will get to that. Doesn't help that Bioware decided to adopt the Microsoft points model to sell their DLC and keep it off Steam and even Origin entirely. No matter what you're always left with extra points. *frowny face*[/QUOTE]
Until this deal, BioWare DLC was always full price for the PC/Mac. I guess that the fast devaluation of the PC versions of the base game is the tradeoff for always having to pay full price for the DLC :(

Buying BioWare points directly from BioWare results in no left over points because they sell points in all the increments that the DLC use. Unfortunately, Origin doesn't do the same.

Just for those living in North America trying to get the coupon to work:

I got this message from the Origin client:
This payment method is only available for transactions where you have elected to purchase in Euros.

The store was already having the same special (60% off) as the promo code. Entering the code again won't do anything.

I was overjoyed to see many games on sale and thought I could get an addition 60% off. After trying MANY times with different games, I finally saw the message I posted above.

Boy, I feel stupid. Hope you can save half an hour of your time though.

I'm gonna be stocking up on Bioware points, can anyone recommend worth-while ME2 DLC's?

Lastly, Big Thanks for OP for posting this =] Really appreciate it!

[quote name='Coolicy']Just for those living in North America trying to get the coupon to work:

I got this message from the Origin client:
This payment method is only available for transactions where you have elected to purchase in Euros.

The store was already having the same special (60% off) as the promo code. Entering the code again won't do anything.

I was overjoyed to see many games on sale and thought I could get an addition 60% off. After trying MANY times with different games, I finally saw the message I posted above.

Boy, I feel stupid. Hope you can save half an hour of your time though.

I'm gonna be stocking up on Bioware points, can anyone recommend worth-while ME2 DLC's?

Lastly, Big Thanks for OP for posting this =] Really appreciate it![/QUOTE]

The code "activates" when you put it in your Origin client the first time. After that and before you make a purchase, you will see everything that is available at the 60% off price. It appears to "reset" once you make a purchase.

I had the same problem when checking out. Eventually I gave up trying to use Paypal and put in a cc. I wasn't very happy about it though, because it appears that, like OnLive, once you put it in, it's there for good.

It's going back to '07, but has anyone played NFS: Prostreet and Undercover? They have average reviews on Metacritic, but it would be nice to have some feedback from others that have played either or both.

[quote name='Honeybaked Ham']I got Dragon Age: Origins a while back when Amazon had the mac version on sale for $2.50 but it registered on PC through Origin. Just grab good deals when I see them.[/QUOTE]

Ok, I'd suggest you grab the Awakening expansion; it is available in the Origin client for $8 ($20 before coupon).

Also, if you want some of the smaller DLC's, I would grab two of the 800 point packs and pick up Leliana's Song, Golems of Amgarrak, and Witch Hunt. I bought all of these on the :360: version during a 50% off sale and thought they were worthwhile for that price.

(Darkspawn Chronicles is stupid, Return to Ostagar isn't worth it. Warden's Keep is a cool little story, but I think the separate, post-game content above is more worthwhile.)

[quote name='Callandor']Ok, I'd suggest you grab the Awakening expansion; it is available in the Origin client for $8 ($20 before coupon).

Also, if you want some of the smaller DLC's, I would grab two of the 800 point packs and pick up Leliana's Song, Golems of Amgarrak, and Witch Hunt. I bought all of these on the :360: version during a 50% off sale and thought they were worthwhile for that price.

(Darkspawn Chronicles is stupid, Return to Ostagar isn't worth it. Warden's Keep is a cool little story, but I think the separate, post-game content above is more worthwhile.)[/QUOTE]

Great thanks for the info! I already grabbed 2 sets of points for ME2 DLC so I'll grab 2 more for DA.

[quote name='Honeybaked Ham']Great thanks for the info! I already grabbed 2 sets of points for ME2 DLC so I'll grab 2 more for DA.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I'd recommend the Warden's Keep DLC as well. Having a little base to store items is nice, plus the Warden Commander's armor is spiffy.

[quote name='Callandor']Ok, I'd suggest you grab the Awakening expansion; it is available in the Origin client for $8 ($20 before coupon).

(Darkspawn Chronicles is stupid, Return to Ostagar isn't worth it. Warden's Keep is a cool little story, but I think the separate, post-game content above is more worthwhile.)[/QUOTE]
If you're getting Awakening AND then some DLC piecemeal, you might do better to just get the Ultimate Edition for $12 and save a little more money (Awakening $8 + 2x points pack * $4 = $16)? It includes the expansion and all of the DLC packs in one go.

[quote name='Lazy_Bum']Has anyone gotten a Payment Authorization Failed when trying to checkout?[/QUOTE]

Yep. EA support said I had to wait 48-72 hours and then try again - something related to making too many purchases in too short a time. It's an issue on their end, not on my credit card's. Too bad, I wanted more BW points!

[quote name='Razorfish']If you're getting Awakening AND then some DLC piecemeal, you might do better to just get the Ultimate Edition for $12 and save a little more money (Awakening $8 + 2x points pack * $4 = $16)? It includes the expansion and all of the DLC packs in one go.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I was just talking about DA 2 & ME 2. If u don't have DA: Origins just get Ultimate for $12.

I just got a new PC and you don't want to know how hard it is for me to resist rebuying the whole Dragon Age series for $28 after Bioware points and how sad it makes me feel at the same time. But I guess I'll just keep my 360 versions & DLC.

Did buy Sims 3 for $12 & I hope the Nightlife pack is that cheap again later on.

[quote name='Vendetta']Yep. EA support said I had to wait 48-72 hours and then try again - something related to making too many purchases in too short a time. It's an issue on their end, not on my credit card's. Too bad, I wanted more BW points![/QUOTE]

Yea, their system is rather insane. I was using the EA safecards to pay and still got flagged with the Authorization Failed bullshit. Cleared up in ~12 hours on it's own though.

[quote name='JohnDM']Still doesn't come close to the deals the xbox versions have been getting. I seem to remember all the Mass Effect 2 DLC going for $2 a pop a few months back and this is the closest the PC people will get to that. Doesn't help that Bioware decided to adopt the Microsoft points model to sell their DLC and keep it off Steam and even Origin entirely. No matter what you're always left with extra points. *frowny face*[/QUOTE]

True enough, but it doesn't even begin to detract from the thousands I've saved by having a PC-preference, with Steam sales being what they are. USUALLY, PC versions get way cheaper, way faster than the console versions. I'm okay with having the short end of the stick this one time.

I don't mean to start a platform war by saying that, but it's true.

I bought two sets of simpoints, and now I can't see the sale anymore :/ At least I got something I guess.

Tried with code and it still works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny story, I originally bought Mass Effect 1 for the 360 a year or so after it came out, so it was cheap by then. Then at some point before I even played the game I took it back and bought the PC version of it instead. I don't know, but to me the Mass Effect games have always felt like PC games first. Sure the console market benefits EA and Bioware more, but certain games tend to lean towards one platform over the other some times. It's just a shame that they chose this DLC pricing model for PC users and that experience will likely transfer over to Mass Effect 3, but with more character skins.

[quote name='Vendetta']Yep. EA support said I had to wait 48-72 hours and then try again - something related to making too many purchases in too short a time. It's an issue on their end, not on my credit card's. Too bad, I wanted more BW points![/QUOTE]

I had that last night, because I was buying too many BW points in a row since they only allow one per transaction. But I was able to purchase again today.

[quote name='woodcan']I guess they only let you buy 1 set of the 800 Bioware points at a time.[/QUOTE]

As far as I know, you can't buy multiples of anything. There isn't really a shopping cart to speak of.

Purchased some points from the origin client using a credit card and keep on getting this message:
"This payment method is only available for transactions where you have elected to purchase in Euros"

Transaction seems to go through fine, but their payment processing system seems buggy. Hope my cc information is secure.

Thanks man! I just built a new PC for BF3 and picked up a the BF2 Complete Collection and Crysis 2 for $25. I lost my BF2 keys ages ago and have been wanting to play again for some nostalgia before BF3 releases.

Ok, it has been asked before, but if I have base DA: Origins and ME1, points are mostly just worth it for the DLC for ME, and the general concencence is that you buy the UE of Origins to get the DLC?

[quote name='TheLongshot']Ok, it has been asked before, but if I have base DA: Origins and ME1, points are mostly just worth it for the DLC for ME, and the general concencence is that you buy the UE of Origins to get the DLC?[/QUOTE]

ME1 doesn't use Bioware points but it does have one piece DLC which just uses real money. Only DA:O, DA II and ME 2 use Bioware points, along with possibly ME3. And if you don't own any DLC for DA:O and don't own Awakening, you are probably better off just buying the UE of Origins to get everything.

Don't bother with Pinnacle Station for ME1. It's awful.

Bring Down the Sky is pretty decent, and it's free for PC. I can't believe it's $5 or whatever on Xbox.

I think Bring Down the Sky had a price drop down to a buck or two on 360, but I can't tell since I own it. It is free on the P.H. 360 version though (it's on the bonus disk.)

Yes avoid Pinnacle Station like the plague. Right there with Darkspawn Chronicles as the worst DLC's Bioware has ever done.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to pass this time around, since I have a huge backlog and I'm not really close to finishing either game.

I hated The Arrival so much that I've sworn off BioWare DLC for the foreseeable future. I did enjoy Lair of the Shadow Broker and Stolen Memories, but both of those still felt rushed and tacked-on, like side-stories that were very correctly cut from the core game. Just my two cents.

Might finally pick up Dragon Age 2, however...

[quote name='mokmoof']I hated The Arrival so much that I've sworn off BioWare DLC for the foreseeable future. I did enjoy Lair of the Shadow Broker and Stolen Memories, but both of those still felt rushed and tacked-on, like side-stories that were very correctly cut from the core game. Just my two cents.

Might finally pick up Dragon Age 2, however...[/QUOTE]

Well, I would strongly recommend waiting for ME3 to come out first so you don't swear off Bioware games completely after playing DA2.

If you don't mind DA 2 in it being a good game but with steps back from Origins, then the DLC for that game is excellent. $16 to get the game and both DLC's ($8 for the game and $8 for 2 800 Bioware point packs) is a steal IMO.

Well I don't think DA2 will ever come back to Steam, so I may as well pick that up now while it's cheap. I can always add the shortcut to Steam to get the overlay.

I want to get all the ME2 story DLC (Kasumi, Shadow Broker, Overlord, Arrival), but it would cost 2480 total bioware points. Getting three 800 point packs only adds up to 2400. I'd be short 80 points (a measly $1) and would be forced to buy another 800 points. Which I guess isn't bad, I can use the remaining points for the DA2 DLC.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Well I don't think DA2 will ever come back to Steam, so I may as well pick that up now while it's cheap. I can always add the shortcut to Steam to get the overlay.

I want to get all the ME2 story DLC (Kasumi, Shadow Broker, Overlord, Arrival), but it would cost 2480 total bioware points. Getting three 800 point packs only adds up to 2400. I'd be short 80 points (a measly $1) and would be forced to buy another 800 points. Which I guess isn't bad, I can use the remaining points for the DA2 DLC.[/QUOTE]

Problem is both DA 2 DLC (that aren't the item packs) are 800 points each. I would just cut out something like the Arrival on ME 2, it's not that great.

Thanks! Picked up Dead Space 2 for me and Sims 3 for my girl. Honestly think she is more excites than I am

Yeah only thing that works now is CRYSIS60 or DRAGON60 to get 60% off Crysis 2 or Dragon Age 2, not 60% off everything in the store.

Oh well just have to hope they do a similar BF sale. All I want is the nighttime expansion for Sims 3 now that I have the regular game but I don't play it enough to warrant full price (haven't played Sims since Sims 1 in college but that was because I didn't have a gaming PC.)

bread's done
Back