Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazzard $29.99 at Amazon PS3/360

I've been waiting for it to drop in price, and still not sure If it would be worth that or not. I think 20 is the most I would be willing to give for it.

It's just not a very fun game and the humor is the kind you may occasionally smile at, but not enough to make this worth $30. I would wait for $20 or less for sure.

Heard this game was pretty terrible. For those who want it, I'm sure it's a deal though.

Honestly I really liked this game, but it's not worth any more than a rental. Short and no replay value.

$30 is probably a tad too much for this (but what the hell I payed 40 for it), but it's decent enough. Average 3rd person shooter but the humor lifts it up.

[quote name='guessed']FYI $26.99 used @ GS for either version.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, might as well save 3 bucks for another game.
pixel.gif

I'm actually playing it right now and its really only worth a rental. Parts of it are very frustrating because the controls aren't as responsive as many similar titles. Its also as Kipz said extremely short I'm on my second play through (level 6 of 8) and I think I've played it a total of 8 hours.

Its interesting enough to maybe rent it but its mediocre enough not to buy.

Loved this game. Its a videogames parody, and well done. I enjoyed it a lot; true, its more a rental, but recommended if you enjoy shooters ala Gears of War.

[quote name='nightmare452']Loved this game. Its a videogames parody, and well done. I enjoyed it a lot; true, its more a rental, but recommended if you enjoy shooters ala Gears of War.[/QUOTE]

Well done? It's piss-poors finest! Controls felt horrible, the game didn't flow, I ran into multiple game-stopping bugs while playing it that would force me to reload, and overall it's a *VERY* bad spoof at best. Most of the 'jokes' aren't funny, period. It's not my lacking of a sense of humor, it's just a really really bad game. The humor is very forced, and not in a good way.

It seemed to forget that self-reference isn't humor. Think of the greatest parody movies you've seen... you know, classics like the Mel Brooks good ones, Spaceballs, Robin Hood Men in Tights... video games like No One Lives Forever and Bard's Tale.

Why did they work? Because the largest majority of their jokes WEREN'T jabs at the original material. Bard's Tale only made fun of RPG conventions when it was really clever. The others ensured that their own humor carried the weight quite well.

Eat Lead just relies too much on the fourth wall breaking self-reference. WOW THIS IS A SAVE POINT THAT'S A RIDICULOUS CONCEPT ISNT THAT FUNNY

I personally bought this game when it first came out. I was addicted to it. Never had any problem with the game what so ever. I scored my 1000 points on it, then traded it here on CAG. Once again the game is worth every penny of 30 bucks.

I'm ambivalent about this. I loved Armed and Dangerous; which was mostly help up by its humor, and thought this may be a similar experience. I still remember the English mole poking fun at the fact that most AI Companions have unlimited ammo "I keep on shooting, and I don't have to reload, imagine that!"

This game is worth checking out, if only because there aren't enough "game parody games" out there. Some of the humor falls flat, but it's better than most gaming webcomics at least.

The gameplay works, but there's no polish or flair. It just....works.

[quote name='bojay1997']It's just not a very fun game and the humor is the kind you may occasionally smile at, but not enough to make this worth $30. I would wait for $20 or less for sure.[/QUOTE]

That's how I feel about it too from the reviews. It's something I'd still love to try, as the concept's a riot (I actually thought there WAS a Matt Hazzard...confusing him with all those Duke Nukem type clones back in the early 90's!)

[quote name='sagecooker']I personally bought this game when it first came out. I was addicted to it. Never had any problem with the game what so ever. I scored my 1000 points on it, then traded it here on CAG. Once again the game is worth every penny of 30 bucks.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the thoughts. Darn...very tempting.

I thought it was OK. The points come fast and I thought it was entertaining for the 8-10 hours that it lasted. Almost no replay value though, but for $30, that may not be an issue.

[quote name='RollingSkull']It seemed to forget that self-reference isn't humor. Think of the greatest parody movies you've seen... you know, classics like the Mel Brooks good ones, Spaceballs, Robin Hood Men in Tights... video games like No One Lives Forever and Bard's Tale.

Why did they work? Because the largest majority of their jokes WEREN'T jabs at the original material. Bard's Tale only made fun of RPG conventions when it was really clever. The others ensured that their own humor carried the weight quite well.

Eat Lead just relies too much on the fourth wall breaking self-reference. WOW THIS IS A SAVE POINT THAT'S A RIDICULOUS CONCEPT ISNT THAT FUNNY[/QUOTE]

I wholeheartedly agree.

That's part of the problem in today's movies, as they are filled with parodies that are simply NOT funny. I don't understand how movies like "Disaster Movie" even get OK'd.

That said, I'm curious about this game only because gaming media isn't saturated with parody material, so it'll still be refreshing if even mediocre. I'll probably rent it sometime down the line.

[quote name='GuardianE']
That's part of the problem in today's movies, as they are filled with parodies that are simply NOT funny. I don't understand how movies like "Disaster Movie" even get OK'd.[/QUOTE]

Ugh. I haven't seen Disaster Movie, because I stopped watching that whole genre after watching...I think it was one of the "Scary Movie" movies.

Those were so horrible that they made me question whether I ever liked the genre, but I know I did. Remember Naked Gun? I loved all three of those. Heck, I loved Loaded Weapon. They used to be FUNNY, crazy, and often actually function as a real film too.

Those modern ones....geez, it's like they scientifically studied humor to make sure they had the exact opposite of it.

[quote name='yukafls']Hell yeah, definitely worth it[/QUOTE]

Coming from one that is desperate to pick up UFC 2009 ;)

I can't wait for this game to be sub $20. This is progress!

[quote name='RollingSkull']It seemed to forget that self-reference isn't humor. Think of the greatest parody movies you've seen... you know, classics like the Mel Brooks good ones, Spaceballs, Robin Hood Men in Tights... video games like No One Lives Forever and Bard's Tale.

Eat Lead just relies too much on the fourth wall breaking self-reference. WOW THIS IS A SAVE POINT THAT'S A RIDICULOUS CONCEPT ISNT THAT FUNNY[/QUOTE]

Exactly. If a game has horrible conventions simply pointing them out to the player doesn't negate the fact that they're still horrible conventions. I'm happy that some people really enjoy the game, but while I enjoy Will Arnett I've just heard too many things about the gameplay being broken to look past it.

bread's done
Back