ECA Discussion Thread - WARNING: Some CAGs Who Cancelled Are Being Auto-Renewed

No I did not get charged in 2010, this is so odd too me, that is why I wanted to post this post to warn everyone that the ECA is out to screw some people once again, as well as see if it is happening to anyone else. I can not figure out why this is happening to me, and why they are ignoring me and my phone calls, being very immature and unprofessional about it.

[quote name='LiquorLicks']No I did not get charged in 2010, this is so odd too me, that is why I wanted to post this post to warn everyone that the ECA is out to screw some people once again, as well as see if it is happening to anyone else. I can not figure out why this is happening to me, and why they are ignoring me and my phone calls, being very immature and unprofessional about it.[/QUOTE]

This happened to a few others in this thread at the beginning of August: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245915&page=61 starting with post #1220. People who cancelled (or thought they did via the CAG box), weren't billed in 2010, then were billed in 2011.

For what its worth, the contact person for these issues is supposed to be [email protected]

ECA said in response to the people who were re-billed: "It looks as though 2 of the ppl who were recent renewals were folks who had 2 accounts apiece and each canceled 1." In other words, people played the multiple account game and ECA only cancelled one of theirs. If that is true, that still doesn't explain the lack of billing in 2010.

I suggest just doing a charge back with your bank/credit card company. Just explain you cancelled, weren't billed last year, but are erroneously being billed now.

If you want to still deal with ECA, write back saying you mailed the letter back whenever all those letters were mailed with an approximate time frame. Say you were not charged last year, indicating that the letter was effective cancellation of your membership. Then say if they do not remove all of your information from their system, you will contact the attorney general of Connecticut in addition to the charge back on your credit card that you've already initiated.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='confoosious']oh, we don't get to deal with that moron Gypsyfly anymore? Shame.[/QUOTE]

I think she lost her job after the CAG revolt. Not sure whether it was her choice or not.

[quote name='kodave']Holy shit. I think your discount might be dead now. You should just be happy you got away with it for nearly two years. That's just impressive.

This happened to a few others in this thread at the beginning of August: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245915&page=61 starting with post #1220. People who cancelled (or thought they did via the CAG box), weren't billed in 2010, then were billed in 2011.

For what its worth, the contact person for these issues is supposed to be [email protected]

ECA said in response to the people who were re-billed: "It looks as though 2 of the ppl who were recent renewals were folks who had 2 accounts apiece and each canceled 1." In other words, people played the multiple account game and ECA only cancelled one of theirs. If that is true, that still doesn't explain the lack of billing in 2010.

I suggest just doing a charge back with your bank/credit card company. Just explain you cancelled, weren't billed last year, but are erroneously being billed now.

If you want to still deal with ECA, write back saying you mailed the letter back whenever all those letters were mailed with an approximate time frame. Say you were not charged last year, indicating that the letter was effective cancellation of your membership. Then say if they do not remove all of your information from their system, you will contact the attorney general of Connecticut in addition to the charge back on your credit card that you've already initiated.[/QUOTE]

I was still able to add to mine when I tried a few months ago (so long as I e-mailed an amazon rep), but I just let the order die with Madden because the order was getting to the point where not only was it hard to find my order to e-mail amazon, but also I would get errors whenever I tried to cancel an item. I didn't have 30% like some people though, so not sure if that played a part. I did notice 3DS games didn't seem to get the discount. But oh well.

[quote name='confoosious']I'm SO GLAD I signed up with the ECA to help fight consumers getting screwed just so now I can eagerly anticipate getting screwed. YAY![/QUOTE]

The sad truth is that now more than ever before gamers need an advocacy group. The shady crap publishers and hardware makers and service providers are putting in their license agreements these days is unbelievable. Then you have the ECA muddying the waters even further by trying to screw over that same group. Sad.

If I remember right, I turned off the auto renew and then cancelled the membership online. I haven't seen a charge since.

http://www.theeca.com/faq

"Can I choose to have my membership NOT auto-renew online?

Yes. Members can login to their accounts and change their settings to deselect the auto-renew option.

How do I cancel my membership?

If you wish to cancel your ECA membership, you can do so from your account settings once logged in to your profile. "

[quote name='integralsmatic']what was the guys name again......hal halpin? cant believe these guys are still around.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean HAL Halpin?

bhesma.jpg

[quote name='eau']Waiting for Gargus to post....[/QUOTE]
Hey that's my post!

[quote name='Camwi']He's temporarily banned, so please stop bringing up his name so I can enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

Again????!!!

Someone should submit this news to places like Kotaku, Joystiq, and Consumerist again. The first time this shit went down, it got a fair amount of traction.

There's no transparency or accountability in that organization. It is a genuine shame that they are named the ECA since they embody none of the values.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Someone should submit this news to places like Kotaku, Joystiq, and Consumerist again. The first time this shit went down, it got a fair amount of traction.[/QUOTE]

It didn't get any traction. The gaming news outlets reported on it, Hal Halpin gave them a bullshit factually inaccurate response (which also included an interview he basically conducted with himself via a site the ECA owns), the gaming media re-posted that response without questioning the inaccuracies and gaping holes, and the story died.

Additionally, no CAGs ever confronted the ECA at their offices or at any PAX events, so it really went no where in making the ECA become accountable.

on a whim i checked my account. i haven't been charged since 2009 and i don't recognize the last 4 of credit card number i used, so i doubt they'll charge me. it says im good through 2012 too.

[quote name='Camwi']He's temporarily banned, so please stop bringing up his name so I can enjoy it.[/QUOTE]
Gargus, Gargus, Gargus

What did Gargus do that was so bad? Gargus. I don't know who Gargus is, so I don't know what Gargus did that was horrible?

Wow, again?
I'll have to check my credit card statements.

In unrelated news, I can now get back into their forums after I was supposedly permabanned for posting the ECApenis spooge picture.

Ahhh this brings back memories! Kodave's HAL and Chakan's infamous "spooging ECApenis pic" LMAO! and the insanity! That thread was humungous! Good times ...
Luckily the CC I used back in '09 is long gone.

[quote name='pjb16']I was still able to add to mine when I tried a few months ago (so long as I e-mailed an amazon rep), but I just let the order die with Madden because the order was getting to the point where not only was it hard to find my order to e-mail amazon, but also I would get errors whenever I tried to cancel an item. I didn't have 30% like some people though, so not sure if that played a part. I did notice 3DS games didn't seem to get the discount. But oh well.[/QUOTE]

There appears to be a maximum item quantity in a single order, which you may have run into. I have an open order as well, and recently used it for Gears 3. It will probably close out with the Zelda SS limited edition in November.

I wouldn't mind staying subscribed if they still had the 10% coupon deal.

If don't recall exactly, but it was abused, they pulled it, were in discussions
to bring it back.........waiting.....?

[quote name='VaultDweller']never joined ECA, knew it was a scam, heck even my grandma knew it was a scam lol[/QUOTE]

shut up dude. you knew no such thing.

[quote name='VaultDweller']never joined ECA, knew it was a scam, heck even my grandma knew it was a scam lol[/QUOTE]

Don't be ridiculous, you don't know what you are talking about. It was not a scam at the time, the Amazon discounts were real and very nice.

I got charged a little bit ago and filed a dispute. They tried to charge me 19.99 though. They do love giving you the run around. Be careful people.

Btw, I was one of the names in the box simnias (sp) sent in. My account was then disabled, they sent an email saying I had canceled, and they deleted my credit card number. My credit card was re-issued with a new number, and I had a new address as well.

Then when my account was up for renewal, I got charged. They obviously lied about deleting my CC info. What was even more stupid was that my account was STILL banned. Contacted them and the BBB. They refused to refund electronically, and wanted my new address. I said no way, and just did a chargeback.

tl;dr: Snail mail guarantees nothing. New credit card number from the same bank means nothing.

[quote name='gkrykewy']There appears to be a maximum item quantity in a single order, which you may have run into. I have an open order as well, and recently used it for Gears 3. It will probably close out with the Zelda SS limited edition in November.[/QUOTE]
I stopped adding items to mine when it became big enough that I couldn't load the page anymore without getting database timeout error messages. :whistle2:# Gears 3 was the last thing in it.

Everybody getting charged should call their credit companies and reverse the charges and make formal fraud complaints. If they get enough, the credit companies will put an end to it. They don't like giving money back.

[quote name='gkrykewy']There appears to be a maximum item quantity in a single order, which you may have run into. I have an open order as well, and recently used it for Gears 3. It will probably close out with the Zelda SS limited edition in November.[/QUOTE]
Whatever that limit is, if there is one, it's rather large. I added some games last night, so it is still available so long as the rep is willing to do it. My largest order has 43 games associated, so that can serve as a benchmark unless anyone has gone higher.

Have any of you affected by the ECA either try writing into or calling the Clark Howard show to bring the scam/issues up with him? This seems right up his alley and maybe he has some ideas?

I hate to come in late to the party or sound ignorant but what benefits did everyone receive from the ECA? Sounds like there was an Amazon discount which is cool, but I see the mentions of people making 40 game orders and was wondering what that's about. I know I could locate this info on google but I can't search there now. Thanks

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Really? Again?!? This has got to be the most incompetent organization EVER.[/QUOTE]
Not that they aren't incompetent, because they are, but my feeling is that these membership charge "mistakes" are very much on purpose.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Not that they aren't incompetent, because they are, but my feeling is that these membership charge "mistakes" are very much on purpose.[/QUOTE]

I think they store membership info in one database and credit card info in a second database, so maybe if they miss deleting one or the other you're at risk for being recharged. Why they totally missed 2010 billing is another issue all together.

What kind of filings do non-profits have to make? Maybe we can see if the ECA is hard up for cash now that they're 2 years out from the mass cancellations.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Not that they aren't incompetent, because they are, but my feeling is that these membership charge "mistakes" are very much on purpose.[/QUOTE]
Ok... so we'll go with the most incompetent/underhanded organization ever. :wall:

bread's done
Back