ECA Discussion Thread - WARNING: Some CAGs Who Cancelled Are Being Auto-Renewed

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Ok... so we'll go with the most incompetent/underhanded organization ever. :wall:[/QUOTE]
Works for me. :lol:

[quote name='Jodou']Whatever that limit is, if there is one, it's rather large. I added some games last night, so it is still available so long as the rep is willing to do it. My largest order has 43 games associated, so that can serve as a benchmark unless anyone has gone higher.[/QUOTE]

One of mine is around 100 items. I believe that order has been maxed out although I'd have to try to add something to be sure. I was unable to view the order myself long ago but it just recently got to the point where Amazon reps couldn't view it either because it was too large.

For anyone that got charged: Did this happen in the same renewal month?

Just wondering since I signed up in May/June of 2009 and no charges since I cancelled.

[quote name='sabanoo']One of mine is around 100 items. I believe that order has been maxed out although I'd have to try to add something to be sure. I was unable to view the order myself long ago but it just recently got to the point where Amazon reps couldn't view it either because it was too large.[/QUOTE]

Do you always have to have some kind of pre-order holding the order open, or are you guys adding to closed orders where all the items had previously shipped?

[quote name='kodave']Do you always have to have some kind of pre-order holding the order open, or are you guys adding to closed orders where all the items had previously shipped?[/QUOTE]

Pre-order holding the order open. If the order is open you can add items at any time. e.g. I think I have FF Versus and Metal Gear Solid Rising on one of them.

I don't *think* it would work if the order closed already.

Dont forget, some people when this first started thought they were safe cause their credit cards on file had expired.

Remember how the ECA fixed that? They changed people expiration dates until they found one that worked. So just because your card on file with them expired, doesn't mean they will not find a way to recharge you. They will!!

[quote name='3rdamention']

Remember how the ECA fixed that? They changed people expiration dates until they found one that worked. So just because your card on file with them expired, doesn't mean they will not find a way to recharge you. They will!![/QUOTE]

What the fuck...? These bastards are beyond greedy...

[quote name='3rdamention']Dont forget, some people when this first started thought they were safe cause their credit cards on file had expired.

Remember how the ECA fixed that? They changed people expiration dates until they found one that worked. So just because your card on file with them expired, doesn't mean they will not find a way to recharge you. They will!![/QUOTE]

I hate the ECA as much as the next guy, but when did they ever do that?

A company can legitimately renew something on your credit card even if it has expired and you've been issued a card with just a new expiration date. Happens often.

However, when ECA renews despite cancellation letters being sent, that's not so legitimate.

I have never heard of a company charging an expired card. I've had many subscription services over the years and when my credit card expired I was always told to update my info or I would not be charged again. ECA is the only company I've ever heard of charging people after a card expired.

[quote name='slowdive21']I just got a newsletter from the ECA...I unsubscribed 2 years ago.[/QUOTE]

same here.....

ECA... Eccentric Cuntbags of America.

[quote name='chakan']Huh. Funny.
I can log into their forums now. Supposedly I was perma IP banned for life for having this as my signature.[/QUOTE]

That is one funny photo.

I nominated Hal Halpin for CAG Villain of the Year, but I guess not enough people followed suit.

[quote name='chakan']Huh. Funny.
I can log into their forums now. Supposedly I was perma IP banned for life for having this as my signature.[/QUOTE]

Same here, but I was banned for simply being a dissenter of their bullshit business practices.

I wonder what the membership fallout was after the mass cancellations. Anyone know if there is any way to know based on government filings or anything?

So this is the SECOND time I have gotten a large fraudulent charge on my Credit Card AFTER contact with the ECA. It isn't for the ECA, but I believe it is related.

1) I only used my card at 3 places ever. Meijer (because it is a Meijer card), Sam's club for a chocolate shake (white trash I know), and for the ECA in 2009.

The first time it happened was after I cancelled my ECA account. I got hit with a large charge from England. I then disputed it and changed my card number.

Recently, I started getting emails again from the ECA. I unsubscribed and 3 days later BAM! another fraudulent charge form England.

Now I will have to dispute and change my card number again.

I haven't checked to see if it is the same place in England as I have to look through my old statements.

[quote name='J7.']I've started getting emails again from the ECA. I stopped their emails years ago...[/QUOTE]

Same. I actually just noticed one in my spam folder last night.

[quote name='J7.']Is there any point in even trying to contact them to stop the emails and unsubscribe again?[/QUOTE]
They'll just tell you that they have no current way to unsubscribe you without a written letter because the button on their site doesn't actually work.

I've been getting their (what, daily?) emails for about 2 months now. I never got them before, even when I was an actual member. Very strange stuff going on over there...

As far as I know, I have never been charged again after my initial purchase - but I should waltch more carefully. Unlike slowdive there, I use my card probably 30-40 times per month ;).

[quote name='Jodou']They'll just tell you that they have no current way to unsubscribe you without a written letter because the button on their site doesn't actually work.[/QUOTE]

God damnit. That's what they said years ago if I recall. What I'm afraid is they're going to try and claim we owe them money for years of unpaid dues years from now.

[quote name='io']I've been getting their (what, daily?) emails for about 2 months now. I never got them before, even when I was an actual member. Very strange stuff going on over there...

As far as I know, I have never been charged again after my initial purchase - but I should waltch more carefully. Unlike slowdive there, I use my card probably 30-40 times per month ;).[/QUOTE]

The card I used their has long changed a few times over now.

I've had their emails since I originally signed up. One a day with a few stories from around the web. I actually look forward to it now.

I've not been charged, nor have I ever paid for a membership.

[quote name='J7.']God damnit. That's what they said years ago if I recall. What I'm afraid is they're going to try and claim we owe them money for years of unpaid dues years from now.[/QUOTE]
LMAO, I was just trolling. I have no idea what they'd say, but that's what happened when people tried to cancel subs in the first place. I guess the sarcasm wasn't thick enough.

These fuckin' guys...

I spent so much time on the original thread detailing the drama of the giant mailed-in unsubscribe box that I had to pull at least one all-nighter to graduate from college.

[quote name='bobright']This is what I get when trying to sign in: The username **** has not been activated or is blocked.

Does this mean Im safe and wont be auto-renewed?[/QUOTE]
I cancelled back when they said you could via online so I get that message... But I'm not sure if I remember unchecking "auto-renew". ughhhhhh

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe I had cancelled mine back before I was due for my first "payment". I've been keeping an eye on my credit card and haven't received any erroneous charges from them, however, still do get emails from them (even though I cancelled). Is this normal, to still be getting emails from them?

[quote name='def PD']I believe I had cancelled mine back before I was due for my first "payment". I've been keeping an eye on my credit card and haven't received any erroneous charges from them, however, still do get emails from them (even though I cancelled). Is this normal, to still be getting emails from them?[/QUOTE]
I don't know, but I'm in the same boat. I cancelled over a year ago.

bread's done
Back