ECA Discussion Thread - WARNING: Some CAGs Who Cancelled Are Being Auto-Renewed

[quote name='Trastan']Seriously, this should really be in the Deals forum, or somewhere within easy notice. Not everyone checks this site daily (weekly, monthly), and the chance of them finding this thread is extremely unlikely. The only way that I got onto that generously-created Googledoc (still waiting for my account to be deleted) was through seeing the ECA thread being stickied, front and center, in the Deals forum. I realize that the Deals forum is for deals, but, until the ECA at least has a cancellation method on their site, this issue shouldn't die like this.[/QUOTE]

CAG isn't a news site. If you want the word to spread, I suggest contacting videogame news sites. More people view those than the Deals forum of CAG anyway.

would it really be difficult to have amessage that actually says your membership is no longer active/has been cancelled?
Instead of the. Your username/password doesnt work or whatever messages people are getting that think they have a cancelled membership?

We still have to hope we all get letters in the mail with official cancellation notice.

The ECA website was probably created for a very small 1time fee.
Then HAL or his dad start to find people to become mods on their forums to work for free moderating/deleting posts while thinking that they are more important then the regualr eca members.

This continues for a long time until they recieve the biggest increase in members since theeca was created due to a free code and cag. (cheapy "guessed" around 2k new members from cag alone)

Having no way to get any official statements from HAL the mods overreact and just delete/ban ecamembers while defending actions that theeca was suppose to protect us from.

forums get shut down in hopes people will calm down and to try and let this blow over.
After all. Having your members not be able to communicate with each other by taking down the forums is a hitler like move.

I very much doubt that theeca cares about membership fees at all. But they are very interested in padding their membership #s. Because if your always showing an increase in membership it is considered a positive thing from year to year.
It would make since for someone like HAL to attempt to get a huge bump in membership #s until he has succeeded about a 5-10% increase year over year. Then take those numbers and try and find sponsors and partners for his very increasing membership for "theeca" org.

And rememer if you do not cancel your account
Their is still nothing stopping them from doing this again.
Changing the TOS again at anytime/anyday and having it say anything they want for whatever results that want.

Burn baby Burn
Down with theeca

[quote name='Nesrie']Why not alert the entire memberbase? How do you think I found out about this issue? Oh yes, much much better to get unofficial information from a dozen news sites and forums than actually have the ECA come out and admit they have a problem, what the problem is, and what they are doing about it.

I am also a member who wasn't so concerned about cancelling as that auto-renew bs. So now I contacted my credit card and the BBB to make sure there is no question that I did not give these guys permission to attach a subscription service to my card.

The ECA membership base doesn't live under a rock, I am sure they are already aware of the problem through some other venue. I can't even remember which article I read first about the issue but it wasn't CAG.[/QUOTE]

That gives me the idea that cheapy should go ahead and mass email all cags about theeca scam and the current way to cancel your membership.

That would at least contact everyone from cag who isnt able to keep up on the forums every single day and who probably missed all posts about theeca and their scam.

When I tried to log in, I got this The username GogetaSS4 has not been activated or is blocked. Also I sent in my own letter as well signed up on the googledoc so my bases are covered twice lol. Also I appreciate all the effort it took to make the CAG box so thank you.

Has anyone who signed the 'box' petition been deactivated yet?
And please - no "I heard they have" or some non-signer claiming he "knows" signers have been canceled. This doesn't help.
I have seen no post from any box signer thus far stating their account has been deactivated.

So far the only statement has been CheapyD saying he got an email from Hal:
I received an email from Hal letting me know they've received your box of cancellations and that they will be processed ASAP.
Well, apparently ASAP means 'whenever I feel like it.'
But based on Hal's constant stream of misdirections and fabrications it amazes me how anyone would be naive enough to take his word for anything. Let alone consider the subject dead and concluded!

Until a few folks who signed the box actually posts their accounts are deactivated how can this be considered over? I intend to post whenever - or IF ever my account's been deactivated to let others know. I mean over 700 signers and not one deactivated yet? That's ASAP?

And posters who say 'give them time' or 'they are overworked' - why make excuses for these scammers? After all it was Hal who claimed they'd be processed ASAP! Let's keep that in mind - it was Hal who claimed ASAP. Just like he claimed he'd remove Maingear - a week ago - and the promo is still there on the membership page.

BTW - the reason I've lost my patience is that the box is my third attempt to close my account and it's still active. And I am offended to be in any way associated with this scam organization.

Too many people are eager to give Hal a break and make excuses. What a shame for something that started with such fire ending with a buried thread and a whimper.

^
I'm getting
The username -removed by me- has not been activated or is blocked.
when I try to log in to the site, BUT I also sent in a cancellation letter before the bulk one, non-registered, regular envelope and a stamp. So I can't really confirm which letter it was that got them to cancel it.

Kind of disturbing that the ECA is not notifying members (by email or whatever) when they cancel their membership. I think confirmation of something like this is very important and shouldn't involve the member having to try and log back into the site to see if they're still a member.

[quote name='Outlaw Tracker']
And posters who say 'give them time' or 'they are overworked' - why make excuses for these scammers? After all it was Hal who claimed they'd be processed ASAP! Let's keep that in mind - it was Hal who claimed ASAP. [/QUOTE]

Now, I and many of the others are not trying to create excuses, but you have to keep in mind that there have been people mailing letters, google postcards, and other inventive methods to cancel their membership since the story broke. As much as I'd like to consider an 8 pound box as having more "weight" than the earlier missives, I would consider it to be very fair and appropriate if they were handling cancellations in the order that they were received. We have 700+ cancellations in the box, but who besides the ECA can say how many cancellations they received before the box?

[quote name='bubo']Now, I and many of the others are not trying to create excuses, but you have to keep in mind that there have been people mailing letters, google postcards, and other inventive methods to cancel their membership since the story broke. As much as I'd like to consider an 8 pound box as having more "weight" than the earlier missives, I would consider it to be very fair and appropriate if they were handling cancellations in the order that they were received. We have 700+ cancellations in the box, but who besides the ECA can say how many cancellations they received before the box?[/QUOTE]
Perfect example. Thank you.
When Hal himself states they'll "process ASAP" why on earth would you give him a break???
So tell me - how long you want to give the ECA then? Since obviously you're not going to hold them to any time table Hal claims - a few more days - a week - two weeks - a month - two months - whenever?
It just amazes me that the ECA is batting .000 - with none of their 'promises' as of yet carried out and yet there are those who still say "be patient?"
Won't it be funny if none of the 700+ are canceled? Then what? Another box and wait longer?
Amazing.

And why would you care about being "fair" to proven scammers?

[quote name='Ivanhoe']I was on the googledoc and google postcard.
I can still login just fine still as of today. :([/QUOTE]

Same, just checked a minute ago.

Pretty frustrating but I'll give them at least a few more days before getting worried.

[quote name='Outlaw Tracker']So tell me - how long you want to give the ECA then? Since obviously you're not going to hold them to any time table Hal claims - a few more days - a week - two weeks - a month - two months - whenever?[/QUOTE]

I said earlier that I'd give them two weeks, and I'll give them two weeks. I mean really, come on -- even if you don't want to cut them any other slack whatsoever, someone still has to go through all of those letters by hand, one at a time, processing the cancellations. It is going to take time to do that -- there's no getting around it. And as bubo pointed out, we have no idea how much of a backlog of letters they already had prior to receiving the box.

Honestly, as far as I'm concerned, if they are actively working on it and it's taking them a long time and a lot of effort to go through all of them, then all the better, because it will make the point that their whole insistence on snail mail was a huge mistake to begin with. Accepting requests through electronic means or even by phone would have been considerably less of a pain in the ass than having to go through a huge stack of letters. I'm honestly pleased if following their own ridiculous rules has made this a painful process for them.

And if they are slacking? Well, I guarantee that's going to hurt them in the long run, when 718 of us go after them with chargebacks, lawsuits, etc. Because now they have been given notification through their own rules, and they have no excuse to deny it. Besides, as I said before, I'm pretty sure that by this point, Hal wants to be done with all of us as much as we want to be done with him. Why do you think he would even want to retain a group of members who have given him such a hassle?

[quote name='Outlaw Tracker']And why would you care about being "fair" to proven scammers?[/QUOTE]

Because really, what purpose is being served by raising a fuss? Do you enjoy shouting at a brick wall? Because that's what you're doing. Regardless of whether they're doing it quickly enough for you or not, as long as they do process it there's really not much more you can do about it. I guarantee that if you were to, say, take it to court, the court wouldn't even be interested hearing the case unless it had been at least a month (quite possibly longer). What else, exactly, would you like to do? Do you think that complaining loudly on an internet forum is getting you anywhere?

As long as you're not up for automatic renewal within the next month or so, then really, just chill out for a bit. I'd like to be done with them as soon as possible just as much as you would, but unless they completely fail to process my cancellation, there's really not much more to be done.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='arcane93']I said earlier that I'd give them two weeks, and I'll give them two weeks. I mean really, come on -- even if you don't want to cut them any other slack whatsoever, someone still has to go through all of those letters by hand, one at a time, processing the cancellations. It is going to take time to do that -- there's no getting around it. And as bubo pointed out, we have no idea how much of a backlog of letters they already had prior to receiving the box.

Honestly, as far as I'm concerned, if they are actively working on it and it's taking them a long time and a lot of effort to go through all of them, then all the better, because it will make the point that their whole insistence on snail mail was a huge mistake to begin with. Accepting requests through electronic means or even by phone would have been considerably less of a pain in the ass than having to go through a huge stack of letters. I'm honestly pleased if following their own ridiculous rules has made this a painful process for them.

Because really, what purpose is being served by raising a fuss? Do you enjoy shouting at a brick wall? Because that's what you're doing. Regardless of whether they're doing it quickly enough for you or not, as long as they do process it there's really not much more you can do about it. I guarantee that if you were to, say, take it to court, the court wouldn't even be interested hearing the case unless it had been at least a month. What else, exactly, would you like to do? Do you think that complaining loudly on an internet forum is getting you anywhere?

As long as you're not up for automatic renewal within the next month or so, then really, just chill out for a bit. I'd like to be done with them as soon as possible just as much as you would, but unless they completely fail to process my cancellation, there's really not much more to be done.[/QUOTE]

^ This.

Also, they claimed that they'll snail mail back a letter confirming your membership has been canceled. No idea if or when they'll do this, or if they'll do it at the same time they cancel your membership, or if they'll do it 2 months from now when they've processed all the incoming letters.

[quote name='arcane93'] Do you think that complaining loudly on an internet forum is getting you anywhere?[/QUOTE]

Ironic, since that's exactly what happened with the original thread isn't it?
Apparently we all have different definitions of ASAP. And some still assume there's some truth to whatever slithers out of Hal's mouth.

But no matter then. I am the sole voice in the wilderness it seems.
So I will chill and see how far this gets us.

[quote name='kodave']Also, they claimed that they'll snail mail back a letter confirming your membership has been canceled. No idea if or when they'll do this, or if they'll do it at the same time they cancel your membership, or if they'll do it 2 months from now when they've processed all the incoming letters.[/QUOTE]

I believe that one just came from Gypsyfly on an ECA forum post, though, right? Honestly, I don't put any stock in anything that she has said, because as much as she's set herself up/been set up to be the "voice" of the ECA, it's been relatively clear that she doesn't really know what's going on. I'll honestly be (pleasantly) surprised if they actually go through all of the effort and expense of mailing back letters, especially given the volume that they're dealing with. I'd really be happy if Hal just sends Cheapy another message when they're finished with it telling him to let us know that it's been done.

Sorry, Outlaw, but the posters that have preceded me are right. You're being a bit silly here. Cheapy opened this thread on the 10th. That was Thursday. That makes two business days since Hal claimed they would process the requests ASAP. Your expectations of having hundreds of cancellations processed in that timeframe is simply unrealistic. As arcane said, about two weeks would be a fair amount of time to give. No excuse it should take them any longer than that.

[quote name='Outlaw Tracker']Ironic, since that's exactly what happened with the original thread isn't it?[/QUOTE]

Right, but there's only so far it can go that way, and I think that we've made it there. A certain amount of complaining will make people wonder what's going on and pay attention. After a point, though, it makes us look like a lot of unreasonable whiners and our real points end up getting dismissed entirely.

[quote name='arcane93']Right, but there's only so far it can go that way, and I think that we've made it there. A certain amount of complaining will make people wonder what's going on and pay attention. After a point, though, it makes us look like a lot of unreasonable whiners and our real points end up getting dismissed entirely.[/QUOTE]

Bingo. A smart person knows when to talk and also when to shut up. The ball, as they say, is in their court now. You don't run over the net and beat the guy over the head with your racket.

Since their TOS require 30 days notice, it is plausible that they could use all 30 days in which to process any cancellation request. It would not be wise, from a PR standpoint, but legally speaking, they could claim all 30 days (as far as I'm aware).

But keep in mind that this issue of the Big Box o' Cancels, and how fast its processed, doesn't change a lot of the original reasons for controversy in the first place.

Even now the ECA has not notified its membership of the change to the TOS concerning the cancellation changes. The ECA has made no further statements beyond the original 2, in which Hal seems to blame the membership of his organization for all the troubles therein. The ECA has yet to alert its membership that the auto-renewal options were non-functioning, and that any who used it may be at risk of renewal. The ECA has still locked down their forums in the name of "maintenance," after ECA members were denied joining the forum, or banned, while private invites were sent by moderators to circumvent registration restrictions. ECA has not, as of yet, removed certain sponsors (specifically Maingear), from their website. ECA PR continues to, at this point, do nothing but accuse their own membership of wrongdoing, as a whole, and basically inform us that "we get what we deserve" (not an ECA quote).

So how fast we are canceled is honestly of little concern. If they take a long time, its just more fuel on the fire, and should be pursued. But even if we are canceled this very minute, the problems of the ECA through all of this have not gone away.

[quote name='arcane93']I said earlier that I'd give them two weeks, and I'll give them two weeks. I mean really, come on -- even if you don't want to cut them any other slack whatsoever, someone still has to go through all of those letters by hand, one at a time, processing the cancellations. It is going to take time to do that -- there's no getting around it. And as bubo pointed out, we have no idea how much of a backlog of letters they already had prior to receiving the box.[/QUOTE]
Why cut them any slack though? They are the ones who canceled the phone option. They're the ones who insisted on snail mail. They're the ones who eliminated the online button that supposedly didn't work (but there was proof otherwise).

As you can see, I agree totally with this sentiment.

So I take it amazon codes will never come back? I have till september of next year till I need to cancel my membership.

[quote name='sendme']So I take it amazon codes will never come back? I have till september of next year till I need to cancel my membership.[/QUOTE]
Pretty much guaranteed that they will never come back.

Like a lot of people in that mass cancellation, I'm ready to be done with the ECA. I'm willing to give them a week or so to process my cancellation but I can almost guarantee that I won't be joining them again.

I'll admit that I joined solely for the Amazon Codes with the free Game Informer code. I made the most of it and over the course of 5 games I probable saved close to $100.00 with the various discounts, promotions, fee shipping and no tax. So as long as the ECA processes my cancellation I won't say anything bad about the again. I'll just go along on my merry way with a lesson learned about ALWAYS reading the fine print and being careful about jumping into offers.

Even still, I do feel a bit stung about the whole ordeal. Even though I joined for the codes I felt that the ECA could have been something I could have gotten behind. Their stated cause is something I would agree with. But their methods, communication and attitudes leave me with no desire to stand with them. As a Consumer Advocacy group I can safely say that I don't want them advocating for me.

[quote name='mogamer']Why cut them any slack though? They are the ones who canceled the phone option. They're the ones who insisted on snail mail. They're the ones who eliminated the online button that supposedly didn't work (but there was proof otherwise).[/QUOTE]

See, I think the failure to communicate here is that I don't see giving them a chance to process it as "cutting them slack", I see it as having a keen awareness of the simple realities of time and how long it will take to go through them even in the best of circumstances. The box doesn't just get dropped on their desk and automatically process itself -- someone has to go through each and every one of those letters, find the information for the user, and process the cancellation. Given how archaic and non-functional the rest of their system is, I have no doubt that it's probably a long and complicated process. Honestly, I'd rather that they take their time and do it right than rush through and then have a lot of errors and issues that need to be corrected later.

And if you honestly think someone was going to sit in that office over the weekend and do it . . . Well, I think we can safely guess that Hal himself probably isn't touching it. Why do you want to hassle some poor, already bedraggled admin assistant who when it comes down to it had absolutely nothing to do with our issues with the organization? Because I guarantee you that's who's getting stuck with the job, not any of the people responsible for the problems.

Is there going to be a second box? I didn't know about the first "box" of cancellations and I would like to cancel my membership to ECA.

There doesn't seem to be any momentum on a second box. People have had better luck with getting canceled with an individual letter anyway.

send your cancellation here, which according to their terms must be sent 30 days prior to your renewal date:
Attn: Accounting, ECA, 64 Danbury Road, Suite 700, Wilton, CT 06897-4406.

Just say you want to cancel and include your full name and email.

According to Amazon they have absolutely no plans on bringing the code back. This was the response I got from low and high level Amazon customer service reps. They were extremely cryptic as to why and who was at fault but from the tone it was pretty obvious they don't plan on it. Then again they are allowed to change their minds in the future.

Let's also keep in mind that the mass cancellation is only one issue. One that will probably be remedied in the next few weeks. There are however other issues at stake here. One major one being what I posted originally in this thread. They still advertise promos they don't have or they don't represent correctly. For many it isn't until after you become a paying member that you learn this. And yes, I have heard the argument that you pay to join them and not for the promos but who are we kidding here? Their email newsletters are blanketed with promo ads and they always represent themselves to others using the promos. I just recently got an ad from IGN about joining the ECA and it focused on promos. I don't even remember if they even mentioned what the ECA was. I'm sure they did but the email was designed to entice membership through promos.

As legit as you want to be ECA if you continue to use the promos as a main form of your advertising then you better make sure you actually have promos and that they are in no way whatsoever misinterpreted on your public site. If you want to screw over paying customers with incorrect hidden promos then that's something you will have to address with them. Anything wrong on the public page however is unacceptable.

[quote name='CheapyD']As the original thread has gotten too unweildly, I've created this thread for general discussion on The ECA.

I'd like to remind our users to stay on topic, and to be respectful of CAG rules.

Latest Update: According to Hal Halpin, the ECA has received the CAG box of cancellations and they will be processed ASAP.[/QUOTE]

CAG box of cancellations? How do I get in on this box?

[quote name='maximumzero']CAG box of cancellations? How do I get in on this box?[/QUOTE]

You are a little late to the party.

[quote name='TheBiz']Is there going to be a second box? I didn't know about the first "box" of cancellations and I would like to cancel my membership to ECA.[/QUOTE]
At this point nobody has stepped up to coordinate a 2nd cancellation box. I don't think the urgency is there for a second box. One of the primary reasons for the first box wasn't convenience or saving money, it was to send a statement to the ECA that there are a lot of dissatisfied people out there. That message was received.

Unless your account is set to auto-renew in the next week or two, you're probably better off just holding off for a bit now. The ECA will, likely, be implementing web based methods of cancellation soon. When? Only the ECA knows and it might take them awhile since they don't seem to have a lot of techie people on staff. However at this point it seems to be pretty likely that something easier than sending a letter will be implemented.

[quote name='maximumzero']Well what the hell how was I supposed to know?[/QUOTE]

The hundreds of times it was mentioned in the thread for about a week?

[quote name='arcane93']And if you honestly think someone was going to sit in that office over the weekend and do it . . . Well, I think we can safely guess that Hal himself probably isn't touching it. Why do you want to hassle some poor, already bedraggled admin assistant who when it comes down to it had absolutely nothing to do with our issues with the organization? Because I guarantee you that's who's getting stuck with the job, not any of the people responsible for the problems.[/QUOTE]

Sure, you're right about them not working on the weekend and giving the job to some poor guy (most likely an unpaid intern). But that doesn't mean to let your foot off the gas pedal. I can practically guarantee you, that as soon as the pressure is off, the ECA will proceed with "businees as usual" and screw with the people who want to quit or disable auto-renew.

[quote name='mogamer']Sure, you're right about them not working on the weekend and giving the job to some poor guy (most likely an unpaid intern). But that doesn't mean to let your foot off the gas pedal. I can practically guarantee you, that as soon as the pressure is off, the ECA will proceed with "businees as usual" and screw with the people who want to quit or disable auto-renew.[/QUOTE]

And if in two weeks it hasn't happened, I'll start putting the pressure on them again. I don't see why this is so difficult to get.

[quote name='arcane93']And if in two weeks it hasn't happened, I'll start putting the pressure on them again. I don't see why this is so difficult to get.[/QUOTE]

I get your position. I just don't feel it's the best way to go. I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

[quote name='mogamer']I get your position. I just don't feel it's the best way to go. I guess we'll just agree to disagree.[/QUOTE]

Well, ok, so what exactly are you proposing to do? How do you intend to keep "pressure" on them without coming off as both unreasonable and a whiner? I mean, seriously, I'm open to suggestions, but I don't think that flogging a dead horse is a great option. Seriously, they've said they're working on it, and whether you believe them or not, continuing to raise a fuss at this point in time, before they've been given a reasonable chance to actually do something, is counter-productive. In the end, it just makes us look bad. If it looks like they can't win with us no matter what they do, then why should they bother trying at all?

Really, I do think that they will process our cancellations without any further hassle. I'm pretty sure they'd like to be done with us at this point, and they're just as aware as we are that being difficult about it is only going to continue their problems. Really, why do you think they would even want to try to keep us as members, knowing the problems that we've caused for them?

On the other side of the spectrum, though, you're probably right -- for those who remain as members, the ECA probably will keep it business-as-usual. But honestly, if you really wanted to effect change there, you never should have submitted your cancellation in the first place. Once you're no longer a member, they're under no obligation whatsoever to listen to or take action on your complaints. Hopefully all of this happening, along with the mass exodus of members, is enough to get them to wake up and take action to fix their problems. But if they chose not to do so, in the end, there's absolutely nothing that we can do about it (especially as non-members) beyond making sure that people know about them.

[quote name='confoosious']I suspect that after another 3 months, they'll still be "working on it."[/QUOTE]

As far as the cancellations go, I don't think so. I think they'll be on those in a reasonable amount of time, simply so that they don't have to deal with us any longer. Again, what would be the benefit to trying to keep a large group of members who don't want to be in the organization anymore, who have caused a great amount of stress and issues in the past few weeks, and who would almost certainly take actions like chargebacks, BBB complaints, and possibly even lawsuits, all of which would be costly to the organization, if they were billed again? I would think they'd rather be rid of us now before we cause any more problems for them.

As far as everything else goes, yeah, you're probably right. But again I'll ask, what more would you suggest we do at this point?

[quote name='arcane93']As far as the cancellations go, I don't think so. I think they'll be on those in a reasonable amount of time, simply so that they don't have to deal with us any longer. Again, what would be the benefit to trying to keep a large group of members who don't want to be in the organization anymore, who have caused a great amount of stress and issues in the past few weeks, and who would almost certainly take actions like chargebacks, BBB complaints, and possibly even lawsuits, all of which would be costly to the organization, if they were billed again? I would think they'd rather be rid of us now before we cause any more problems for them.

As far as everything else goes, yeah, you're probably right. But again I'll ask, what more would you suggest we do at this point?[/QUOTE]

I'd suggest that we don't allow our big box to remove our focus from the issues that forced us to cancel in the first place. For instance, as just one of many examples, the continued failure of the ECA to notify its members of the TOS change related to cancellations.

So yes, my name was in the big box, and I am going to be glad to be rid of them, but it doesn't change what they did in the first place that led me to this point. And I think we should keep a focus on that until they rectify it, by keeping in touch with online news orgs and ECA partners, and making sure those who have reported on it, continue to do so until the situation is resolved.

[quote name='Siterath']So yes, my name was in the big box, and I am going to be glad to be rid of them, but it doesn't change what they did in the first place that led me to this point. And I think we should keep a focus on that until they rectify it, by keeping in touch with online news orgs and ECA partners, and making sure those who have reported on it, continue to do so until the situation is resolved.[/QUOTE]

Ok, but so few of those news organizations and partners have taken it seriously. Most have bought into Hal's explanation of the situation without question, no matter how convoluted and obviously incorrect it is. Do you really think that pounding these people with the same thing over and over again, if they chose to ignore it the first (and second, and third, etc.) time around, is really going to make a difference? I'm not saying to let it die, but if you're going to keep going with it, you need to find another angle of approach. And no, I don't know what that is. That's why I'm asking, what would you suggest?

The one idea that I have at this point is waiting it out for a bit, and then if nothing has changed, go back to these places and say "Hey, Hal said they'd fix these issues, but nothing's been done." Then maybe they'd pay attention. But that's not going to work until some reasonable amount of time has passed in which they could have fixed those issues. And you completely blow it if you jump on it too early.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='arcane93']Ok, but so few of those news organizations and partners have taken it seriously. Most have bought into Hal's explanation of the situation without question, no matter how convoluted and obviously incorrect it is. Do you really think that pounding these people with the same thing over and over again, if they chose to ignore it the first (and second, and third, etc.) time around, is really going to make a difference? I'm not saying to let it die, but if you're going to keep going with it, you need to find another angle of approach. And no, I don't know what that is. That's why I'm asking, what would you suggest?[/QUOTE]

Exactly...100%. Saying the same thing over and over and over again isn't gonna accomplish anything. The video game news media has essentially taken Hal at his word over this issue, so unless something new comes up, their opinion is not going to change. They reported there was a problem, Halpin said it was gonna be fixed, and that's pretty much where we are at now.

[quote name='Halo05']Same, just checked a minute ago.

Pretty frustrating but I'll give them at least a few more days before getting worried.[/QUOTE]

Same here, also can login no problem and have not been cancelled yet, just sent a google postcard and did not sign the big letter.

Signed the big letter and sent a postcard and still have an active account. WooHoo, looks like ECA is doing a stellar job at canceling accounts.

Hopefully it'll be canceled by xmas. :)

[quote name='Siterath']I'd suggest that we don't allow our big box to remove our focus from the issues that forced us to cancel in the first place. For instance, as just one of many examples, the continued failure of the ECA to notify its members of the TOS change related to cancellations.

So yes, my name was in the big box, and I am going to be glad to be rid of them, but it doesn't change what they did in the first place that led me to this point. And I think we should keep a focus on that until they rectify it, by keeping in touch with online news orgs and ECA partners, and making sure those who have reported on it, continue to do so until the situation is resolved.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.
Good post.

bread's done
Back