ECA Discussion Thread - WARNING: Some CAGs Who Cancelled Are Being Auto-Renewed

[quote name='donkeydrop']Please Please DO NOT do this on any major site. This is why we couldn't use PayPal numbers on Amazon for a long time. Part of the deal with many subscriptions is you get a discount on the first year for giving up your CC#. Don't abuse this by trying to get a discount and then give only a one time number; one time numbers have a unique identifier and can be blocked.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but I do this each and every time that someone says that they want to "auto-bill" me, specifically because of shady companies like this who abuse the privilege. If I want their service to continue, I'll happily give them an updated number at the time that they need it. If I don't, I'll tell them as much (as I did with the ECA), but I'm not inclined to give them the opportunity to ignore my wishes and bill me anyway (as the ECA is apparently doing to people now). It's not "abuse", it's self-protection, and it's common-fucking-sense.

If anything, the ECA's insistence that we had to agree to auto-renewal, and their draconian policies for canceling it, are the "abuse" in this scenario.

Just canceled after seeing this pop up again and got my cancellation confirmation e-mail. I also noticed that in the fine print before canceling that it said that while CC info is wiped, they do keep other identifying info (i.e name, etc) as required by law.

Starting to wonder where the "Deals" are in this topic... Oh, I get it... by ECA not canceling my membership per my request results in a Chargeback from my CC company = free ECA membership = Deal!?

[quote name='prateeko']fuck now I gotta watch out for this?[/QUOTE]

LOL Now I have to watch my card in September...Great. Funny thing is, I only used 1 amazon code. This hassle is not worth $5 $3.70 I saved on one measly game.

I feel so bad for people getting charged right now. I have followed this since the original thread got started and I am lucky that this was one CAG deal I never jumped into

[quote name='sassylaurie']Starting to wonder where the "Deals" are in this topic... Oh, I get it... by ECA not canceling my membership per my request results in a Chargeback from my CC company = free ECA membership = Deal!?[/QUOTE]
For greater visibility, so hopefully fewer CAGs will get ripped off.

Thanks, io, shrike, and cheapy.

[quote name='confoosious']Because he's a dumb troll that doesn't even know the whole story.[/QUOTE]

Well, as I said in my first post I knew I would be attacked. I'm not a troll because I was part of the deal, and I know exactly what happened. Face it, there was a panic for no reason, and instead of waiting a month and having the problem work itself out you bullied the site owner into a stupid cancellation process that had a lot of potential for mistakes.

The absolute worst case is a few dozen people get a $20 charge, make one phone call to their credit card company and it's over. Compare that to the 1000s that saved money through the deal (including many stackers who made $100s of profit).

I didn't expect to change the mind of the ECA haters, but for those not involved in this deal who happen to be browsing I hope you got a sense that this was not much more than a run of the mill deal that ended unexpectedly due to abuse of the coupons. No criminals, no money stolen, just real life in action.

... end credits ...

No CAGs were harmed in the making of this movie.

Good god.. you guys are already roaring on about starting a class action lawsuit over 20$.... I would honestly like to see it so we could figure out if it was worth it or not....

[quote name='donkeydrop']The absolute worst case is a few dozen people get a $20 charge, make one phone call to their credit card company and it's over. Compare that to the 1000s that saved money through the deal (including many stackers who made $100s of profit).[/QUOTE]

This shouldn't happen in the first place. The ECA emailed us saying our membership was canceled and CC info was deleted. They lied. So now we have to deal with something that shouldn't have happened.

[quote name='donkeydrop']

I didn't expect to change the mind of the ECA haters, but for those not involved in this deal who happen to be browsing I hope you got a sense that this was not much more than a run of the mill deal that ended unexpectedly due to abuse of the coupons. No criminals, no money stolen, just real life in action.

[/QUOTE]

Ok, I am violating my own "do not feed the trolls" policy but since he's claiming it's just for the edification of people that just happen to stroll by, I'll respond by asking people who are considering whether the ECA is legit or not to read this story: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...p-their-attack-describe-exploits-cry-scam.ars

It was more than just an innocent mistake. It was a bad mistake compounded by shadiness and lies.

Now, once again, it's been worsened by them actually lying and storing your cc information after saying they deleted it upon cancellation.

Strell - seems we have a very strong troll in our midst that just won't go away.

[quote name='donkeydrop']The absolute worst case is a few dozen people get a $20 charge, make one phone call to their credit card company and it's over. Compare that to the 1000s that saved money through the deal (including many stackers who made $100s of profit). [/QUOTE]

[quote name='Rollett']Good god.. you guys are already roaring on about starting a class action lawsuit over 20$ :p[/QUOTE]

[quote name='icedrake523']This shouldn't happen in the first place. The ECA emailed us saying our membership was canceled and CC info was deleted. They lied. So now we have to deal with something that shouldn't have happened.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Should have never happened if they supposedly canceled people's accounts and fixed it the online membership so one could cancel if they wanted to.

All they need to do is address the problem, fix it, and give refunds to those who were charged. Then everything will be square. I don't believe they're as bad or evil as people make them out to be. They just need to get their act together in this department.

Tagged. Just canceled my membership. I used a gift card because I thought something shitty could happen, but I imagine they could still charge it and I would just be charged overuse fees. Maybe I can cancel the gift card. fucking ECA, fucking assholes.

I canceled my membership online, tried to log in again, and my account is "not activated" or "blocked." I hope that is the end of the story, but I'll keep a close eye on it to make sure they don't take my money.

Edit - And I got the confirmation email, which I will be keeping handy just in case.

[quote name='Rollett']Good god.. you guys are already roaring on about starting a class action lawsuit over 20$.... I would honestly like to see it so we could figure out if it was worth it or not....[/QUOTE]

But that is exactly what a class action lawsuit is for though. One person suing another over $20 is silly, but a thousand+ people each suing that one person for $20 is far more meaningful.

Nonetheless, at this time a class action lawsuit is far from necessary.

All credit card information relevant to processing your dues has been removed, so if you wish to re-join the association going forward new/updated payment information will need to be manually re-entered.

^ Straight from my cancellation email ^

I'm pretty sure this is the reason people are upset. They claim they erased our credit card information but they can still bill people's cards. How can we be sure they don't still have our credit card information on file? I'm pretty sure I won't have to worry about it, I used a prepaid card that expired one month after using it and I canceled twice.

It's kind of like dipping a cross shaped stake in holy water with a spritz of garlic juice and storming Dracula's castle. Except you know, Dracula has a heart.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='chakan']For greater visibility, so hopefully fewer CAGs will get ripped off.

Thanks, io, shrike, and cheapy.[/QUOTE]

Understood, but this thread is political past the "Deals" point.

Sonbitch, thanks for the heads up I checked my credit card and there is a pending authorization. I have to wait for it to post to complain. This is really gay. (not that there's anything wrong with that)

[quote name='confoosious']ummm yeah, i don't really give a shit what you have to say.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks, it's class guys like you that inconvenienced millions of Amazon buyers.

[quote name='confoosious']troll

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

1269747356374.png

I canceled via the Cag Box. My account was due sometime around now, I can't remember for sure. I also can't log into my account to check because my account has been blocked since I had requested my account to be canceled.

There appears to be a $20 charge pending on my credit card and I don't believe I've used it at all in the past couple of days so I think it may be this. I'll update when it posts to my account hopefully on Monday or Tuesday.

[quote name='sassylaurie']Understood, but this thread is political past the "Deals" point.[/QUOTE]
The original deal with the ECA was posted in this very forum. So this thread was put back here to let people know to be on the lookout for fraudulent charges. It'll get moved back to it's proper place when the ECA pulls their head out of their ass and fixes the issue, I'm sure.

Edit: Besides, it's Cheapy's site, if he thinks people need to know about this, it's his prerogative. Thanks, Cheapy.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']The original deal with the ECA was posted in this very forum. So this thread was put back here to let people know to be on the lookout for fraudulent charges. It'll get moved back to it's proper place when the ECA pulls their head out of their ass and fixes the issue, I'm sure.

Edit: Besides, it's Cheapy's site, if he thinks people need to know about this, it's his prerogative. Thanks, Cheapy.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad it was stickied. I almost missed it. And I figured out how to cancel today and am keeping screenshots and emails for inevitable credit card dispute.

I cancelled online today and got the email confirming my cancellation. I think I originally sigend up with a card for which I shut down the bank account a while back now. I checked my other accounts and haven't seen any pending charges even close to the $20 mark that people are talking about. How long after people cancelled did the charge show up?

I must be the only one here that loves ECA. Not only did they provide an exploit (that keeps on giving for me :D), but also hours of entertainment with people raging.

Alright, I just completely cancelled my membership online, and got the email immediately. Fortunately my membership was good through September, so they were never close to re-billing me. Glad that's over with, and good riddance...

The problem I find with the continuing use of "ECA-applied Preorders" being added to, is that.. it is punishing Amazon for ECA's fucktardedness.

[quote name='RedGamer']The problem I find with the continuing use of "ECA-applied Preorders" being added to, is that.. it is punishing Amazon for ECA's fucktardedness.[/QUOTE]

You think the a-holes who continue to do it care? THey are the same people who bragged about triple stacking codes.

[quote name='unopepito06']Alright, I just completely cancelled my membership online, and got the email immediately. Fortunately my membership was good through September, so they were never close to re-billing me. Glad that's over with, and good riddance...[/QUOTE]

That's the issue though. As it stands right now, people who cancelled and got that email are still sometimes getting auto-renewed. You won't really know until September. I have the email from December thanks to the mass mailing and a Google postcard and I won't know shit until either I get charged in August or I don't.

I don't remember receiving a cancellation email. When I try to log on to the site it says my user name is either not active or blocked. I hope they dont rebill me in June.

Thanks for this update!

My membership lasted until 9/2010. I went through the steps, canceled, and received the membership termination email (stating all financial records are deleted). If I try to sign on, it shows my membership as blocked.

If I get charged come September, Hal will have a lot of 'splaining to do.

Your email actually mentions financial info? Mine didn't. It only stated it on the last page of the cancellation process. Here's the email I got:

Thank you for being a member of the Entertainment Consumers Association. Your membership has been canceled.

We are sorry to see you go and thank you for your business.

This email notification is confirmation that your request has been processed and your membership has been canceled, effective today, April 23, 2010

We wish that you will choose to rejoin The ECA soon. If you wish to re-join the association going forward new/updated payment information will need to be manually re-entered.

To re-join the ECA, please visit http://www.theeca.com.
Thank you.
Entertainment Consumers Association (ECA).

I canceled a few months ago and just tried to log in and got

"The username *insert* has not been activated or is blocked."

So does this mean I'm in the green?

[quote name='confoosious']Your email actually mentions financial info? Mine didn't. It only stated it on the last page of the cancellation process. Here's the email I got:[/QUOTE]
Here's what mine looked like:
[quote name='[email protected]']Thank you for your letter requesting to terminate your membership with the Entertainment Consumers Association (ECA). This notice is confirmation that your request has been processed and your membership in the organization, cancelled.

All credit card information relevant to processing your dues has been removed, so if you wish to re-join the association going forward new/updated payment information will need to be manually re-entered.

To re-join the ECA, please visit http://www.theeca.com.

Thank you.[/quote]

[quote name='confoosious']Your email actually mentions financial info? Mine didn't. It only stated it on the last page of the cancellation process. Here's the email I got:[/QUOTE]

My bad, you're right...the financial info deletion was only mentioned on the last page of the cancellation process on the ECA website. The actual membership termination email doesn't state it directly. Either way...the email confirms total membership termination and is all that's needed as proof against them should they charge me come September.

[quote name='confoosious']God you're an ass.[/QUOTE]

Yes, he is.

[quote name='RedGamer']The problem I find with the continuing use of "ECA-applied Preorders" being added to, is that.. it is punishing Amazon for ECA's fucktardedness.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='confoosious']You think the a-holes who continue to do it care? THey are the same people who bragged about triple stacking codes.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. It's these kind of "CAGs" who help to kill a lot of deals and offers and then brag about it like proud kids who took their first dump in the toilet. They give this site a bad name.

Aw dammit. I forgot to cancel my membership so I got charged. fuck. I just canceled it but haven't received a cancellation email. Should I be concerned?

[quote name='Ionotropic']I canceled my membership online, tried to log in again, and my account is "not activated" or "blocked." I hope that is the end of the story, but I'll keep a close eye on it to make sure they don't take my money.

Edit - And I got the confirmation email, which I will be keeping handy just in case.[/QUOTE]

Did same earlier today and was unable to log in to ECA site. However, I just got emailed their daily newsletter an hour ago. Ugh, hopefully that doesn't mean anything. The debit card I had registered there has been replaced after fraudulent charges likely due to ordering from Monoprice so hopefully the ECA can't bill me anyway.

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']My bad, you're right...the financial info deletion was only mentioned on the last page of the cancellation process on the ECA website. The actual membership termination email doesn't state it directly. Either way...the email confirms total membership termination and is all that's needed as proof against them should they charge me come September.[/QUOTE]
Not all the confirmation e-mails are the same. Mine did state that financial information was removed.

[quote name='Unrealevil']Here's what mine looked like:[/QUOTE]

Mine looks exactly like yours. I guess I'll find out later this year if they try to charge me or not.

Here's the relevant line from my cancellation email I got today:
If you wish to re-join the association going forward new/updated payment information will need to be manually re-entered.

Perhaps the gaming press should be alerted again - there potentially hundreds if not thousands of other non-CAGs who canceled via snail mail who are at risk of being re-billed. I've tried to get Kotaku's attention on the matter.

[quote name='kodave']Perhaps the gaming press should be alerted again - there potentially hundreds if not thousands of other non-CAGs who canceled via snail mail who are at risk of being re-billed. I've tried to get Kotaku's attention on the matter.[/QUOTE]

Very much so! This needs to spread like wildfire!

Keep in mind that when the original incidents were being reported by places such as Kotaku and Ars Technica, after they published Hal's reply (which anyone involved knew made no sense) that this entire scandal was the fault of amazon exploiters, they allowed the story to die. No more updates. Perhaps this incident will show those in the gaming press that perhaps the ECA is not to be given complete and limitless trust .... unless of course Hal blames this on exploiters again.

Here's a list of places to look into (and feel free to build on it):

Kotaku
Joystiq
Ars Technica
Terminal Gamer
The Consumerist

Beyond that

My suggestion is this (and yes, I know much of this is being echoed)

-Immediately initiate a charge back of the fraudulent charge
-File a report with your state Attorney general's office as well as the office of the AG in CT (where the ECA is located IIRC)
-Contact the BBB regarding this as fraudulent and repetitive billing
-If the problem is not remedied to your satisfaction, I would suggest sending a cease and desist letter to the ECA and/or taking other appropriate legal steps

[quote name='donkeydrop']I'm sure I'm going to get attacked for saying this, but the CAGs who panicked and caused the massive run of cancellation have to share the blame. A few weeks after the nerd rage subsided on CAG the ECA web site was updated and settings were changed so that your account would not auto-renew unless you specifically chose that option again. (Basically the auto-renew was set to neither yes or no, so even if you never went back to the site to choose No your account still wouldn't renew.)

So, if instead of the massive over-reaction people had just been patient everything would have been OK. No-one was trying to cheat you (that's a laugh since the whole reason most people signed up was to take financial advantage of Amazon and many cheated Amazon out of a lot more than $20 with the coupon stacking!) That doesn't completely excuse the ECA because they should still have been able to handle the manual cancellations correctly during the "panic", but mistakes were almost inevitable given how swamped they were.[/QUOTE]

I hope you can sort out your critical thinking skills, because you will need them when you become an adult.

bread's done
Back