Employees of ALL stores - Stories about 'special' customers! (Now with KAYDEN Power!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Bune']

My wife works for Pepsi, wears a Pepsi Shirt, Pepsi shorts, Pepsi jacket, and a Pepsi hat. No matter what store she goes into, people always ask her to help them find something. I've told her she needs to get more forceful, because she always tells them no politely and then complains to me about it.[/QUOTE]

That same exact thing happens to me!

I have no idea why, but everytime I walk into Walmart, Big lots, Office-max, and once even Auto-zone when i'm in my Blockbuster shirt someone asks me for help! I dont get it!

Do people not actually look at the person that they are asking for help?

I was walking around Walmart one day pushing a shopping cart for christs sake when woman came up to me and ask for helped..and seemed annoyed when I told her that I didnt work there. What the fuck? :|

[quote name='MegoW64']That same exact thing happens to me!

I have no idea why, but everytime I walk into Walmart, Big lots, Office-max, and once even Auto-zone when i'm in my Blockbuster shirt someone asks me for help! I dont get it!

Do people not actually look at the person that they are asking for help?

I was walking around Walmart one day pushing a shopping cart for christs sake when woman came up to me and ask for helped..and seemed annoyed when I told her that I didnt work there. What the fuck? :|[/QUOTE]

Stories like this make me glad that I wear t-shirts and pants normally and not dressy stuff.

i dont know if this counts, but the other day i had a kid trade in a kingdom hearts chain of memories for a tony hawk pro skater 3, and he was quite excited to do it.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']i dont know if this counts, but the other day i had a kid trade in a kingdom hearts chain of memories for a tony hawk pro skater 3, and he was quite excited to do it.[/QUOTE]

I saw a kid trade NFSU2, MGS3, GTA: SA, and Killzone and got The Getaway: Black Monday with store credit.

I felt so bad for the kid. I promptly txt msg'ed the story to "guessed".. I needed someone (and quick) to also say OMG WTF?.

[quote name='Scorch']I saw a kid trade NFSU2, MGS3, GTA: SA, and Killzone and got The Getaway: Black Monday with store credit.

I felt so bad for the kid. I promptly txt msg'ed the story to "guessed".. I needed someone (and quick) to also say OMG WTF?.[/QUOTE]

God, that's like trading a diamond ring for a plastic decoder ring.

[quote name='Scorch']I saw a kid trade NFSU2, MGS3, GTA: SA, and Killzone and got The Getaway: Black Monday with store credit.

I felt so bad for the kid. I promptly txt msg'ed the story to "guessed".. I needed someone (and quick) to also say OMG WTF?.[/QUOTE]

That sounds like my 12 year old neighbor. He traded in his PS2 and about 30 games for an XBox and 3 games. He kept that for about a month then traded those in for $65 cash. He also sold his GBA SP and games for $40 at a garage sale 2 weeks ago. I told my wife this is why this kid isn't allowed to come into our house and borrow any of my games...

[/QUOTE]

That happend with me too, except it was a grown man...I kept saying, "Are you sure you want to do this? ARE YOU SURE..?"

The guy seemed very happy with his purchase, so whatever.

I had someone ask me why we charged so much tax and inquire if it was possible for us to lower the tax yesterday. Quite interesting; never thought I'd have to give a lesson on how tax works to a customer.

Not very interesting but my jaw just about dropped when I realized he didn't know that taxes go to the gov.

[quote name='vietgurl']I had someone ask me why we charged so much tax and inquire if it was possible for us to lower the tax yesterday. Quite interesting; never thought I'd have to give a lesson on how tax works to a customer.

Not very interesting but my jaw just about dropped when I realized he didn't know that taxes go to the gov.[/QUOTE]

How much is tax there? It's 9.75% here :shock:

[quote name='Kuros']God, that's like trading a diamond ring for a plastic decoder ring.[/QUOTE]

Or a REALLY good ham sandwich for a not-so-good ham sandwich.

Like whoa.

[quote name='Kayden']9.75? :shock:

Its 6.5 in Minnesota except for food and clothing.[/QUOTE]

I'm beginning to wonder how long it will be before they decide to raise that too myself....

After all, SOMEONE has got to pay for the ten billion road construction jobs we have every year in this state. :shock:

[quote name='RedvsBlue']LOL, that's from my school! That having been said, take it with a grain of salt...[/QUOTE]

Indeed. I'm originally from the area, so I know the...reputation (actually, despite some serious pleading on my parents' part, my little brother is going to SCSU next fall). Regardless, it was the first thing I found, and it's correct.

Got a call from a jackass customer tonight

Me: Shelby Blockbuster, this is Meghan, how may I help you?
Jackass: Yes, my name is *name name* and I just rented Meet the fockers on VHS and when I got home it was Tom and Jerry
Me: Ok, sir, i'm very sorry about that. What you can do is come back to the store and i'll turn it in and give you a credit. I'll let you go ahead and rent another movie tonight and when Meet the Fockers comes back in on VHS i'll make sure that someone gives you a call.
JA: So you want me to make another trip up there tonight and then again when the movie comes back? Unacceptable. I am VERY disappointed in you.
Me: Sir, I do apologize and it was a simple human error, it's not often but it does happen.
JA: I'm not paying to rent Tom and Jerry
Me: No sir, that's why you can come up here and i'll let you get another one.
JA: I dont want to go up there a second time tonight!
Me: Well, we dont deliver movies, sir.
JA: Oh no no..I would think not. I'm not paying to watch a cartoon.
Me: *what the fuck is wrong with this guy?* No Sir, you're not. The only thing I can have you do is come back up here with the movie and i'll let you get a new one.
JA: I dont hear you trying to offer me some sort of compensation.
Me: Because i'm not.
JA: Well, how about this. Give me the number to your regional AND district manager
Me: Sir, i'm trying to work this out so we dont have to go that route.
JA: Well, I just found a way, give me those numbers!
Me: hold please.

I slam down the phone and put my senior manager on there...she pretty much tells him the same thing that I had been saying and that he would have to speak to my store manager in the morning.

I have no idea what the hell that guys problem is. I'm sorry that we flubbed up and he got the wrong movie...but dosent he understand that mistakes happen?

[quote name='MegoW64']I have no idea what the hell that guys problem is. I'm sorry that we flubbed up and he got the wrong movie...but dosent he understand that mistakes happen?[/QUOTE]

He understands, he just doesn't care about anyone else. He thinks he should get a parade because someone screwed up his $4 movie rental. People like him just wait for someone else to make a mistake so they can pounce on it, claim how wronged they are and see what free stuff they can get out of it.

I work in a meat dept. we sell cooked chickens. A gentleman walks up to the counter when we are ready to put some in the case.
cust: Do you have any BBQ chickens.
me: (i check and we dont) no sir we dont
cust: (points to chickens on counter being put into containers) well what are those?
me: those are lemon pepper and honey brown sugar
cust: but i wanted BBQ
me: sir: we dont have any
cust: well what are those (yes he asked me again)
me: those are lemon pepper and honey brown sugar
cust: ill take one
me: which flavor would you like?
cust: what do you mean?
me: which flavor would you like lemon pepper or honey brown sugar?
cust: ill take one of those
me: sir, which flavor would you like?
(this went on for a few more minutes)

[quote name='MrBadExample']He understands, he just doesn't care about anyone else. He thinks he should get a parade because someone screwed up his $4 movie rental. People like him just wait for someone else to make a mistake so they can pounce on it, claim how wronged they are and see what free stuff they can get out of it.[/QUOTE]

And it usually works (no, I'm not one of those people). I'm actually surprised he didn't get a free rental out of it.

[quote name='guessed']And it usually works (no, I'm not one of those people). I'm actually surprised he didn't get a free rental out of it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, working at Blockbuster I always felt bad that it was the asshole customers who got all the credits, free rentals, etc. The louder they were, the more they got. It sucked but for those of us working at the store level, it wasn't worth the hassle to let these complaints go further up.

[quote name='fieldkillah']... me: which flavor would you like lemon pepper or honey brown sugar?
cust: ill take one of those
me: sir, which flavor would you like?
(this went on for a few more minutes)[/QUOTE]
Ahh the 'Get a clue'/'Shopping for an answer' customer. Either they are extremely dense or extremely annoying. I feel your pain on that one

[quote name='MegoW64']Got a call from a jackass customer tonight

Me: Ok, sir, i'm very sorry about that. What you can do is come back to the store and i'll turn it in and give you a credit. I'll let you go ahead and rent another movie tonight and when Meet the Fockers comes back in on VHS i'll make sure that someone gives you a call.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't this mean he gets the credit back and also a free rental for that night? It seems the guy does get a free rental, unless I'm not reading this correctly.

[quote name='MegoW64']The best thing about being in the south is the accent, so here are a few examples of when the accent can throw you off.[/QUOTE]

I'm late to the thread, but when I read this, it brought back all sorts of memories of my time working for an indy video store. It's in the shittiest part of NC you can imagine, where the people wallow in their ignorance and poverty like a pig wallows in its own filth.

I have had people with such thick accents (if you can call it that) that I could not understand them at all. I had one lady walk out in a huff because I kept asking her to repeat herself. Another time (working in a department store), I dealt with a man who was almost completely deaf, and he only spoke in grunts, no joke. He had someone with him that somehow could interpret his grunts. He would moan/grunt, and his interpreter would say "He wants to know if you have any black jeans, waist 34 length 32, or maybe some khakis in the same size?" I wanted to scream "HOW THE HELL DID YOU KNOW THAT?!"

Due to the high rate of illiteracy, I got many customers who could not read or write. When these folks had to fill out a membership form, they had to hand me their driver's license and let me fill out the form for them. "I can't spell too good" my ass. There was one customer in particular who could not ask for a movie by name due to his inability to read. If he saw a movie box that interested him, but there was no movie behind it, he would have to bring the box to the counter in order to let the clerk know which movie he was interested in.

Believe it or not, I even had a couple of customers who could not even sign their name. When they had to sign an invoice, they would make an X on the signature line.

Ugh, I could write a book. I haven't mentioned all the incidents stemming from the adult movie section.

I was in Blockbuster once (years after I quit) and I saw this clerk helping a customer try to find a movie on the New Release wall. Now I had dealt with this clerk before and knew he wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer so I listened in. I didn't hear what movie the customer asked for but all of a sudden the clerk says, "Oh, that's the one with the funny looking "T" on it!" So I turn around and the movie is "Pi" - I thought I would die laughing.

[quote name='PsyClerk']... I dealt with a man who was almost completely deaf, and he only spoke in grunts, no joke. He had someone with him that somehow could interpret his grunts. He would moan/grunt, and his interpreter would say "He wants to know if you have any black jeans, waist 34 length 32, or maybe some khakis in the same size?" I wanted to scream "HOW THE HELL DID YOU KNOW THAT?!"...[/QUOTE]

Well, the interpreter probably already knew what the guy was looking for, and would almost certainly already know his size, after going through the same situation countless times.

That's nothing. Remember the Kevin Bacon basketball movie The Air Up There? The box for the video had the title in a stylized logo towards the bottom of the box. At the very top of the box was a review blurb that stated in big orange letters (and quotes) "Lots of fun!"

IMBD link has a picture: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109067/

What do you think the retards in my area called this movie? Yup, Lots of Fun. The first time someone asked for it, I said "We don't have a movie by that name." The customer insisted he had just seen it and it was a new release. We nearly got into an argument until he finally grabbed the box from the wall and showed it to me. I was too stunned to laugh at the time.

As a joke, I started listing it as Lots of Fun on the movie reservation sheet. It became so prevalent that none of the employees batted an eyelash when someone asked for Lots of Fun.

[quote name='guessed']Well, the interpreter probably already knew what the guy was looking for, and would almost certainly already know his size, after going through the same situation countless times.[/QUOTE]

I just listed one example. The guy asked for other things and tried to make conversation as well, so the interpreter could not have known in advance what he was asking/saying.

well sometimes it's great to work for a gamestore, yesterday I got scouted to be a tester for a secret new RTS ^_^
dunno if I can do it or not, (time travel and pay discrepencies) but it would be fun if i could.

[quote name='tauruskatt']well sometimes it's great to work for a gamestore, yesterday I got scouted to be a tester for a secret new RTS ^_^
dunno if I can do it or not, (time travel and pay discrepencies) but it would be fun if i could.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that must be an awesome RTS if they want you to time travel =O

Here's a story of how being kind but firm to an employee gets you more than being a jerk:

Over Christmas I had some family come to visit from Maryland. Well, the airline they used had a ton of their employees just not show up one day. It would seem that the airline was not going to allow them vacation time around Christmas because they needed the baggage people for the Christmas rush. So all the baggage people took a sick day on the same day. My family's bags did not arrive.

My cousin-in-law Ken is a freaking genius when it comes to talking to customer service people. Obviously a lot of people would be calling in about their lost baggage, and I'm sure that a lot of them yelled and shouted at the customer service reps. Not Ken. He talked to the person and would say "Look, I know it's not your fault. I know you are not directly responsible for my lost baggage. I'm not mad at you and I'm not going to shout. But I am talking to you and I need you to help me fix this."

In the end they received $50 PER PERSON on the first day and then $25 per person each day after that up to 5 days I believe. There were 5 of them in the group. In a true cheap ass fashion they went to Walmart and hit the after Christmas sales. They ended up spending about half the money they were allotted for the first day ONLY on clothes. The rest of the money they could spend on whatever they wanted. And they did.

We were unsure if they would be able to get their money back (the deal was he puts all the charges on his one credit card and then sends them the receipts) but Ken got refunds for everything. So they got some new clothing and some new gifts all on the tab of the airline because Ken wasn't a jerk. He also didn't relent easily, but the key thing was that he didn't yell and shout or be an ass.

[quote name='KingSpike']Wow, that must be an awesome RTS if they want you to time travel =O

Here's a story of how being kind but firm to an employee gets you more than being a jerk:

Over Christmas I had some family come to visit from Maryland. Well, the airline they used had a ton of their employees just not show up one day. It would seem that the airline was not going to allow them vacation time around Christmas because they needed the baggage people for the Christmas rush. So all the baggage people took a sick day on the same day. My family's bags did not arrive.

My cousin-in-law Ken is a freaking genius when it comes to talking to customer service people. Obviously a lot of people would be calling in about their lost baggage, and I'm sure that a lot of them yelled and shouted at the customer service reps. Not Ken. He talked to the person and would say "Look, I know it's not your fault. I know you are not directly responsible for my lost baggage. I'm not mad at you and I'm not going to shout. But I am talking to you and I need you to help me fix this."

In the end they received $50 PER PERSON on the first day and then $25 per person each day after that up to 5 days I believe. There were 5 of them in the group. In a true cheap ass fashion they went to Walmart and hit the after Christmas sales. They ended up spending about half the money they were allotted for the first day ONLY on clothes. The rest of the money they could spend on whatever they wanted. And they did.

We were unsure if they would be able to get their money back (the deal was he puts all the charges on his one credit card and then sends them the receipts) but Ken got refunds for everything. So they got some new clothing and some new gifts all on the tab of the airline because Ken wasn't a jerk. He also didn't relent easily, but the key thing was that he didn't yell and shout or be an ass.[/QUOTE]

Did they get their stuff back?

Wow, great thread! It took me all of four work days to get through the whole thing.

I unfortunately (or I guess fortunately) don't work in retail so I don't have any stories to share. Any stories on dealing with customers trying to abuse store policy or try to get something for nothing, like some of the shady stuff that sometimes gets posted in the deals section? Those would be interesting to hear. I remember some stories from a friend who works at Target where he had to pay the customer about $20 after all the coupons they used.

i don't have any personal stories to add at the moment, but i do have one that happened to a manager at my local gamecrazy.

a woman walks in and wants to trade a game in for credit. first off, she asks the manager how much she would get for her game. he tells her the amount and she agrees to trade the game in. (if anybody has ever been to a gamecrazy, you alls know that they ask you for your mailing address and phone number.) anyhoo, he asks her for her phone number and she rudely responds, "i don't have one." he says, "well, i can't let you trade a game in without a phone number...." before he even finishes his sentence and explanation, she grabs her kid and yells, "let's get outta here!" her attitude was extremely rude. if she didn't like their policy, she could've said, "sorry, but i don't give out my personal information. thanks."

i gotta admit, there are some rude employees out there, but there are just as many (if not more) impolite customers :lol:

[quote name='doraemonkerpal']i don't have any personal stories to add at the moment, but i do have one that happened to a manager at my local gamecrazy.

a woman walks in and wants to trade a game in for credit. first off, she asks the manager how much she would get for her game. he tells her the amount and she agrees to trade the game in. (if anybody has ever been to a gamecrazy, you alls know that they ask you for your mailing address and phone number.) anyhoo, he asks her for her phone number and she rudely responds, "i don't have one." he says, "well, i can't let you trade a game in without a phone number...." before he even finishes his sentence and explanation, she grabs her kid and yells, "let's get outta here!" her attitude was extremely rude. if she didn't like their policy, she could've said, "sorry, but i don't give out my personal information. thanks."

i gotta admit, there are some rude employees out there, but there are just as many (if not more) impolite customers :lol:[/QUOTE]

Maybe she thought he was hitting on her? Seriously.

some people are just afraid to give out any personal information because they hear stories of identity theft and just to be safe dont give any info about themselves at all.

[quote name='doraemonkerpal']i don't have any personal stories to add at the moment, but i do have one that happened to a manager at my local gamecrazy.

i gotta admit, there are some rude employees out there, but there are just as many (if not more) impolite customers :lol:[/QUOTE]

I get that all the time.

I had a man come into my store and wanted to return something and than buy a small item. For all returns at Rdio Shack, we have to collect customer information. I asked him for it and he became extreamly irate and refused to. I insisted because my manager had just gotten in trouble for not colecting vaid info. After about 5 min. of explanation he game me a New Jersy adress and left telling me that me had lost a good customer because he spends "at least $100 a year" there.

The other day a hooker came (my store is in the getto [new town]) in and wanted to buy a prepayed phone from me. I explained the plan and went to activate the phone (it was verizon "Impluse" and we have to collect info and acivate it before we rig it up and let them leave) and as soon as i asked her for her last name she asked why she needed to and I told her some BS reason (verifacation purposes). After that he says "never mind" and leaves. WTF.

We also get this nasty looking woman come in regularly. She grabs about 300 bucks in stuff in about 30 seconds, pays and leaves. When she first came in i allways thought it was a stolen CC she uses but I have since lerned that she is a gold digger and has a old rich husbend.

[quote name='2poor']some people are just afraid to give out any personal information because they hear stories of identity theft and just to be safe dont give any info about themselves at all.[/QUOTE]

yea i understand that, but she could've been much more polite about it. :lol:

[quote name='KingSpike']Yes, they did. So they got new clothes, new stuff AND all their old stuff. It was pretty hot.[/QUOTE]

They didn't get special treatment, everyone got the same deal. My bags were also lost during that f/up. I got $150, thanks USAir! I got my bags back the night before I returned home.

I discovered a long, long time ago that being incredibly polite to people after they've fucked up (or anytime really) is much more effective than ranting and raving. The old adage that "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar" is so true, it isn't even funny. But people just don't get it.

I suppose I should chime in now...with nearly ten years of retail I have a few stories to tell. Here goes:

Toys R Us, Columbus, OH, 1996-7 (it's all fuzzy)
Back then, all games and high-end electronics were kept in the "security booth". You'd grab a ticket that represents the game you'd like, pay for it at the cashier, and then bring it to the booth to get your stuff. Like most TRU's, the security booth and the customer service desk flank the exit door. I look up from some task (probably wondering where to put those new copies of DragonBall GT Final Bout) in time to see two hoods ride a pair of mountain bikes RIGHT OUT THE FRONT DOOR. I looked at the service counter to confirm my apparent hallucination, and the shock on the front end managers face was enough to tell me I wasn't seeing things.
I page the Directors: "Dan John, 99, 215!!!"
Dan and John: What?!
Me: Two bikes just rode right out the front door!
Dan and John: .....(one second pause).....GO GET 'EM!!!
Before I could put the phone down I see them running out of the back, and we're all off to the races.
Immediately adjacent to the store was a furniture outlet with an unpaved, gravelly, pock marked lot behind it. Behind it was a unkept field with really high weeds/grass.
The theives attempt the gravel trap, and one of 'em looses it. They both head off into the field with the three of us in hot pursuit. Soon, the grass is too much and the other one drops his wheels as well. At this point, the police copter arrives to snuff 'em out. They snag one immediately, and apprehend the other about twenty minutes later. We get both the bikes back, and catch the bad guys.

Moral of the story: Plan your escape route. And never underestimate the running speed of the local retail work force.

Same store, same time frame...
I walk into Dan's (the Director) office. He says "I'm going to catch someone stealing today." and proceedes to turn on the security monitor just in time to see a lady scoop about twenty-five clearence Gameboy games (sitting on a table near the front) into her purse. He looks at me and says "See, I told you!" The timing was impeccable.
We apprehend the woman, who had her young child with her, and escort her to the back room where the police take her away a few moments later.

Moral of the story: A copy of fuck is not worth the loss of parental rights/prison time.

[quote name='Darkside Hazuki']Yep, a police helicopter. I'm not making that up.

And I never said they were teens... :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

I guess he just ASSUMED people who steal are young, no-good teens....? :p

Chasing thieves outside of most brick and mortar retail stores is forbidden by company policy UNLESS the company employs its own security. The reason being that while the thieves are on your property (i.e. the parking lot), you are liable for their injuries. Say for instance that you chase a thief out of the store and he gets hit by a car in the parking lot, he can sue your store (company) and win. 10 times out of 10.

And have a nice day.

Edit: I actually made that up after I heard my manager say that one day. So in all likelyhood it's 100% false, but it sounded cool.

Once again, have a nice day.

[quote name='XboxHardcore.com']I guess he just ASSUMED people who steal are young, no-good teens....? :p[/QUOTE]

I think he assumed most thieves stupid enough to ride stolen bikes out of a store in full sight of the staff would be stupid drop-out no-good teens. :D

Yay people crapping in the sink, on the floor, smeared across the walls, so on and on. Don't forget sewer systems getting bras, underwear, various other crap stuffed down them so that the sewer system is backing feces/urine/god knows what up into your store when you come in first thing in the morning. Did I mention that it was backing stuff up not 1 foot away from the food cooler?

Oh yes and don't forget that the general manager DOES NOT close the store even though it litterally smells like a cesspool. And this happend many more times than once. And last but not least the District Manager never allowing us to close the restroom to the public, regardless of the point that the septic system would get backed up due to crackhead customers AT LEAST once a month.

Thank all the gods in the cosmos that Walgreens was only a desperate in-between REAL jobs purgatory. DO-NOT-SHOP-THERE ;)

Oh, and this relates to bad customers in the way that it was ALWAYS the customers that backed our sewer up. ;)

[quote name='KingSpike']My friend found a dead hobo in the bathroom of the grocery store he was working in. The dude was known for stealing listerine and going in to the bathroom and drinking it to get drunk. Turns out this time his body couldn't take it.

Thankfully he didn't have to clean the bathroom up.[/QUOTE]

KingSpike: Niiiiiiiiicee... somehow I'm not suprised at your location though. Good luck on getting the hell out of that city, and trust me... you will NOT miss it one bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back