[Ending!] CAG Exclusive Red Octane Sale

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The guys at Red Octane have been kind enough to provide the CAG community with an Exclusive Sale, good through October. Also, Red Octane is publishing a new music game, Guitar Hero, developed by Harmonix (Amplitude, Frequency, and Karaoke Revolution).

There is a Guitar Hero thread already in progress here.

Spend $40 and get free shipping.

CAG Exclusive Sale:

RedOctane Arcade Stick
CAG Exclusive: $19.95

Universal Adapter (PS2 to Xbox, GC, or PC)
CAG Exclusive: $12.99

GBA Movie Player (2nd Version)

Taiko Drum Controller

Reload Pedal (For Namco shooting games like Time Crisis)
CAG Exclusive: $14.95

Other discounts:
Now $19.95 (orig 29.95)
Max Shooter Keyboard and Mouse Adapter (Xbox)
Max Shooter Keyboard and Mouse Adapter (PS2)

Now $9.95 (orig 14.95)
Magic Path PSX to GameCube Controller Adapter
Pixelblocks

Sorry, I deleted the first thread by accident!

[quote name='basketkase543']Anyone have any experience putting using a console controller on a pc via usb? I'd love to use my ps2 controller on my comp but I wonder how responsive it'd be.[/QUOTE]
I picked up a PS2-to-USB adapter at RadioShack for ten bucks. It works perfectly, even the analog sticks, no noticeable lag. I highly recommend one.

For those interested, the Shoryuken site has lots of info about stick modding. If you're not afraid of soldering, then you can very easily change this stick into almost any kind of game machine stick. All you really need is to gut a controller with digital buttons (analog buttons won't work with arcade buttons anyway).

So if you want a USB controller, all you really have to do is find the right pc gamepad and gut it for its pcb and cord and do some soldering.

[quote name='sanjuro']this was mentioned earlier, but left out. I assume it's part of the sale:

$12.99 ($19.99 REG)
PS/PS2 universal controller adapter
http://www.redoctane.com/universaladapterca.html

good price, but I'm curious about the quality. would be nice with the arcade stick for mame maybe.[/QUOTE]You guys are too funny. After a CAG had asked for that item on sale, I contacted Red Octane and they hooked it up. You found it before I could even post it.

[quote name='CheapyD']You guys are too funny. After a CAG had asked for that item on sale, I contacted Red Octane and they hooked it up. You found it before I could even post it.[/QUOTE]

Good looking out Cheapy, thanks.

hmm...the gba adaptor looks tempting, but then i'll need to get some CF...with it work with my original GBA? (no idea why not...)

If you own a DS or a newer SP with the better light you really should get one of those movie players. They have updated it and it work better then ever.

[quote name='SpottedNigel']Seeing that pedal makes me want to make a Time Crisis cabinet NOW.

Good deals[/QUOTE]
for a cheap ass pedal, plus a ddr pad into controller port 1 ^^

gbamovieplayer2nd17ty.jpg

anyone have first hand experience with the movie playback? I want one but I'm not sure what kind of quaity I'd get from it or how much I could put on it. I was mostly thinking of using it for short, adult swim type shows.

[quote name='swick']I picked up a PS2-to-USB adapter at RadioShack for ten bucks. It works perfectly, even the analog sticks, no noticeable lag. I highly recommend one.[/QUOTE]

The problem with the RadioShack adapter (I'm assuming that you're talking about this one) is that it does not accept simultaneous input from two directional pad presses (e.g. UP + DOWN)....making it unacceptable for dance games on the pc using your playstation dancepad (e.g. Dance With Intensity or Stepmania.)

Unfortunately, the Red Octane adapters mentioned in this thread/sale are not explicit in their descriptions, so I can't tell if they share this same design flaw or not. The adapter from lik-sang definitely works & accepts such simultaneous directional button-presses, however.

*I hesitate to make such a request since folks have already asked for additional items to be added to this "just for CAGs sale," but would it be possible to include some Karaoke Revolution titles/accessories in the round-up?
:whistle2:s

[quote name='Fire']The arcade stick is really tempting. Any CAGs try it out before? I tend to like the reviews that CAGs put up more so than the Gamespot or IGN ones. They seem more thorough, but still, that is an excellent price. Really really tempting.[/QUOTE]

Red Octane makes solid joysticks and the basis for the Mod Everything.com website's projects http://www.modeverything.com/

I had a review of the earlier 6 button model (Impact V series) from Red Octane during my term as PSXNation hardware:

Arcade games are always good for a brief taste of fast action and visual excitement. Even though modern arcades don't always have the latest games, there is a plentiful supply of arcade excitement for the Playstation 2. Playing arcade games with a joystick have always been a part of the arcade experience, for most people, you have to settle with using a controller. Sure the controller is comfortable to use but playing with a controller doesn't prepare you if you want to impress arcade goers with your completive spirit and a high winning record.

Red Octane, known for their popular soft Dancing Mats, created the Impact V-Series for Namco & Capcom games joystick to replicate the arcade experience. Unlike most companies who have their joysticks made out of plastic; the Impact V-Series is made out of the same materials of a real arcade cabinet: wooden shell, a Plexiglas top, and authentic arcade joystick and buttons. Not only the Impact V-Series joystick uses arcade parts, it looks like half of a JAMMA (the arcade cabinet standard setup) joystick cabinet with two three button rows (Square, Triangle, and R1 on row 1 and X, O, and R2 on row 2) on the right, short round top joystick on the left, and two white buttons on the top. If you do not like that setup, Red Octane also offers an Impact V-Series for Soul Calibur II (four face buttons standing in a row) that would be perfect for Soul Calibur and upcoming ports of Neo Geo arcade games (Metal Slug 3 and King of Fighters 2000/2001 two pack). For this copy of the Impact V-Series joystick; some of the face buttons come a little loose when turning this joystick upside down (due to the loosening of the plastic glue), the solid construction of the button wires soldered into the controller PCP doesn't loose the command signal one bit. Red Octane is known to put their personal touch on their dancing pad products with cool logos; the Impact V-Series for Namco and Capcom has a slick looking arcade style bezel underneath the Plexiglas: red and white light rays around the joystick displaying the 8 directional, a red colored joint join together the two top buttons, a white design covering the first and last button on the top and the middle button on the bottom and a red design with the middle top button and the first and last buttons on the bottom (mainly indicating how to do an A groove combo in Capcom vs SNK 2), and the 8bit Red Octane flame logo above the left joystick. Even though it looks like the joystick is arcade worthy, it is very home user friendly: there is red and white tape covering any possible splintering wood, black plastic paneling on each side of the joystick, and a nice black foam pad making it comfortable to place it on your lap but tough enough to grip any table. The joystick is 14 1/5"L x 10"W x 4"H and weigh 7.5 pounds so you need a good bit of space to put it away when you are not using the joystick. Considering the length of the joystick and the cable is only a little over six feet, the length is shorter than most third party controllers.

Playing arcade-based games on this setup is very comfortable and very simple to use. Capcom vs SNK 2 plays like a dream with this setup, all of the arcade buttons match up with this model of the Impact V-Series joystick and it is possible to pull out those level 3 supers, A Groove combos, rolls, and the S groove charges without trying to bend your thumbs. Playing Tekken 4 felt just like most arcade setups, the top two buttons are for the punches and the bottom two are for kicks, and if you either bottom mash or set up combos; the buttons are fast enough to respond to your commands. Another added bonus is it is possible to play Tekken Force mode with this controller, but you can only use the R1 trigger since there are no L1/L2 buttons on this 8-button setup. I didn't seem to mind not using the L1 trigger in Tekken Force mode, because I can just change the target focus at will. When I play Guilty Gear X2, playing in the default setup is comfortable enough for me but you can easily match the Japanese Arcade Guilty Gear XX setup (X for Punch, Square for Kick, Triangle for Slash, R1 for H-Slash, R2 for Dust, and O for respect). The only problem playing Guilty Gear X2 with this joystick is that you cannot select the EX 1 or SP2 characters because there are no L1/L2 buttons on the joystick and the only work around is to plug in a regular controller, use either the L1 or L2 triggers, select the character, and rehook up the joystick. Another major problem with the lack of L1 or L2 buttons is that it is rather cumbersome to set up an arcade game that has four buttons on a row on a cabinet (like Soul Calibur II and Neo Geo arcade ports) if you only have three buttons on a row, or if you have extra functions set up on your L1/L2 triggers (like all four buttons on GGX2, all Punches for a game like CvS2, or selecting your weapon in a 2d shooter). Considering on how much money some people buy a six button only Tekken/Soul Calibur II Stick imported from Japan, you have to give Red Octane some credit in making a six button solution with arcade authentic materials and for twenty dollars less. Sometimes when you plug in the joystick, there is a minor glitch problem with the Start and Select buttons: either the two buttons do not register or they are on 'auto fire'. In order to fix that, all I have to do is attach and reattach the cable and it should work fine.

I also tested out this model on the two hottest upcoming fighters for the Playstation 2, Soul Calibur II and Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution (both based on the Japanese versions). The Soul Calibur II game is set up with the two slashes and kick buttons on the first row and the guard button slanted on the lower left, away the first slash button. I made a custom setup where I have Horizontal attack on Square, vertical attack on Triangle, the kick button as R1, and guard mapped on the X button. Since I was used to the Soul Calibur II arcade layout, it took me a minute to adjust to the custom layout; and my Soul Calibur II know how just kicked in. I can do "barely impossible to do on a Dualshock2" vertical attack based grabs with ease, moving fluidly across the battle field with the quicker response of the joystick, and kicking ass with the fast response buttons. Not only I had a blast playing Soul Calibur II on it, this joystick is great for Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution. For an ideal Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution setup, I made the Punch Square, Kick Triangle, and Guard X. It may not be the same exact layout as an actual Virtua Fighter cabinet but I can go through arcade mode with barely any finger fatigue.

For some people, a Playstation compatible joystick would be great for old school gaming compilations such as Namco Museum and Activision Anthology. Playing with the short round joystick is very fast in your response and it is crucial to gobble the last pellet or survive the current alien wave.

Just for kicks, I thought I would test out the joystick with three non-fighting games: Thunder Force V, Mobile Light Force 2, and Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs Zeon. Thunder Force V was designed as a home based shooter and it uses more buttons than your typical shooter, speed change, weapon select Left/Right, shoot, window display off/on, Over Drive attack (all Type A Standard Setting), and an option to auto select each weapon type (Type B Advanced setting). Despite the joystick only having six buttons, it is versatile enough to create a comfortable setup if you only want to use Type A Standard Setting. Fortunately, I can go into the option menu and enable the R2 button to select the weapon cursor clockwise. I don't know how to describe it but playing Thunder Force V with this joystick is like playing a side scrolling shooter in an arcade but without dealing with a faulty joystick. Mobile Light Force 2 (also known as Shikigami no Shiro in Japan) is a simpler game to control because all you need is three buttons: shoot, special attack, and auto fire. There is no need to customize the controls is because I had no problem using the default setup for this game. It is harder at first to use a Joystick compared to a Dpad in a game like this but it gives you great practice if you want to play a vertical scrolling shooter in the arcades. Not too many people know that Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs Zeon started out as an arcade game in Japan. Even thought the combat is in 3d, using the Impact V-Series in this game is very fast and precise, even more so than the analog of a DualShock2. Pressing the buttons in the actual gameplay is fast and responsive in the default setting but I recommend assigning the orders command to the R2 button.

3 1/2 (stars)

For the cost of most Playstation 2 plastic arcade sticks, you have one well-built and comfortable arcade stick. The missing L1/L2 buttons would deter some people who want a multipurpose joystick for other games besides 6 button fighters, but the layout is perfect for most Capcom and Namco arcade fans. The controller is highly responsive and great for classic arcade and 2d shooting games. For under $30, this model of the Impact V-Series is big, heavy, comfy, and ready to take on most of your arcade game collection.

questions???

- is the GBA movie player the equipvalent of Playyan from Nintendo? playing movie/music/pictures? if I used it in my DS would I be able to listen to my mp3 and play DS game at the same time?
- can the arcade sticks be used with xbox or computer (for mame purposes) via adapter? if so how accurate is it? thanx

[quote name='fivecardstud']the site for the movie player says it can play .nes files too.. anyone try this? How does it work?[/QUOTE]
lets just say it has "multiple functions" and leave it at that, any information can easily be found at other sites, so just google.

Has any one here used the Max Shooter Keyboard and Mouse Adapter for the XBox?

If so, what do you guys think? Especially CheapyD, if you're reading this and have tried one...

I LOVE all the good XBox FPS games... but being someone raised on PC FPS, and using mouse/keyboard for years... I would love to go back to my preferred control scheme on the boxy.

Thanks for any input on it.

[quote name='sanjuro']anyone have first hand experience with the movie playback? I want one but I'm not sure what kind of quaity I'd get from it or how much I could put on it. I was mostly thinking of using it for short, adult swim type shows.[/QUOTE]

I've owned this version of the Movie Player for over a year, and it's great. I actually ordered a second one from Red Octane this morning because of this sale (thanks Cheapy!). Much cheaper than Lik-Sang.

Anyway, it uses Compact Flash cards for storage, so how much video you can fit on it depends on the size of your card. Movie playback, especially for animation, is quite good. Just make sure to download the latest video conversion software from the official site; the older software was pretty buggy.

Playing NES games on this thing is great. If you ever wanted to turn your GBA into a portable NES, this is by far the cheapest option. Just make sure to download the latest version of the emulator (link below).

http://gbaemu.dcemu.co.uk/pocketnesmovieplayeredition.shtml

Does the GBA Movie Player work with the DS? I don't think anyone has said that it does for sure. It doesn't say anything about it on the site.

[quote name='egrudzin']Does the GBA Movie Player work with the DS? I don't think anyone has said that it does for sure. It doesn't say anything about it on the site.[/QUOTE]

I think someone said it's work with the DS, but my ? is can you listen to the music while playing the DS game? also, if you have 512MB CF card, how long can you put the movie in there, would 2 hours movie fit in 512MB card? thanx

[quote name='RBM']The problem with the RadioShack adapter (I'm assuming that you're talking about this one) is that it does not accept simultaneous input from two directional pad presses (e.g. UP + DOWN)....making it unacceptable for dance games on the pc using your playstation dancepad (e.g. Dance With Intensity or Stepmania.)

Unfortunately, the Red Octane adapters mentioned in this thread/sale are not explicit in their descriptions, so I can't tell if they share this same design flaw or not. The adapter from lik-sang definitely works & accepts such simultaneous directional button-presses, however.

*I hesitate to make such a request since folks have already asked for additional items to be added to this "just for CAGs sale," but would it be possible to include some Karaoke Revolution titles/accessories in the round-up?
:whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

You won't have a problem with dance games with their Universal Adapter. After all, making quality dance game stuff made them what they are today :p

Thanks Cheapy, I picked up the Movie player. I have been looking at getting it for some time now this just pushed me over the edge..

Allrighty, i took the jump and got the universal adapter in hopes of using it on my GC and my PC. Thanks for the deal (and I hope it works well).

dang it.. I may plunge in and get couple of items, i spend too much money on game this months already.. but if i get up tomorrow and the deal still there, i may have to pull a trigger :)

I'm really thinking of getting that movie adapter for GBA.

I have run converted movies on my GBA by way of a flash cart, but that only holds 5 minutes of good quality video (32MB). I can easily pick up a 512MB at a good price, and I estimate I can hold 80minutes of video on there.

I am just concerned that for some strange reason it might not work with the micro.

I ordered myself that octane stick the tekken bundle was too much going for 100 hopefully this will be good.

Thanks CheapyD.

Just ordered 2 Arcade Stick. I'm gonna mod it and replace the stick and buttons
with Happ or Sanwa parts.

Is that a joystick for console gaming or can I use it in building my upright cabinet? Or would I even want to use it in a cabinet? Maybe there is a better site?

I just wanted to thank those who were able to find something to purchase. Hopefully the Red Octane guys will be pleased.

Thanks!

I received my arcade stick today as I'm in CA.

First Impressions: First off, I can see why shipping cost 10 bucks. This thing weighs about 8 pounds. The cord is average cable length and the bottom has a non-skid backing material. I was concerned that when I set this thing down it would slide like crazy, but the weight coupled with the backing surface really does a good job.

Construction: As I said, I was happy with the stick's initial stability, which I think is one of the most important factors. The buttons and stick are solid, nothing that would make me write home about, but they do the job. In fact, if there is one way to describe the construction it is simply that. There are a few rough edges such as the plexiglass cut, a few knicks in the melamine casing, etc. This is built for use, not display, so I decided to test that out briefly.

Gameplay: I tried this game out on Mortal Kombat (Deception and Dark Alliance), Marvel v. Capcom 2, Soul Calibur 2, etc. I haven't encountered any problems and was ecstatic to be using a joystick with my fighting games at home. I really didn't play for long but so far I'm pleased as movement is fluid and buttons respond quickly.

Overall: This isn't the Porsche of arcade sticks, but I didn't pay for that either. For $50 you won't find a better stick, let alone $20. If you're like me and are trying to make console fighting games like the arcade, but cheaply, you will be very happy.

Anyone know if the PS2/GC adapter will work with DDR Mario and a ps2 pad? I'm tempted to buy it just to avoid the standard pad that comes with the game (assuming it's released here and I won't have to import).

[quote name='basketkase543']Anyone have any experience putting using a console controller on a pc via usb? I'd love to use my ps2 controller on my comp but I wonder how responsive it'd be.[/QUOTE]

i actually took the plug from a cheap 8 dollar xbox controller, (the detachable plug) and cut the xbox port side off and connected the wires to a usb port i cut off a broken mouse, plugged that into a real first party xbox controller, downloaded some drivers and it worked on my on the first try!

[quote name='Milkyman']i actually took the plug from a cheap 8 dollar xbox controller, (the detachable plug) and cut the xbox port side off and connected the wires to a usb port i cut off a broken mouse, plugged that into a real first party xbox controller, downloaded some drivers and it worked on my on the first try![/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I tried to do but the extension cable from Pelican was wired with different colors than the standard Red, Green, etc. I tried a few different combinations but without any means to test the wiring, I didn't want to fry my laptop.

I'm in for two sticks, grabbed a pedal and adapters as well. If the components turn out to be so-so I'll see what I can do to throw some Happs parts in. Just hope theres enough room.

Thanks cheapy!

i finally caved in and bought the universal adapter and 2 pedals. i was only going to buy the universal adapter, but it came out to almost $19 after tax and shipping! wthell, i just went ahead and bought 2 pedals for around $20 more and free shipping :lol:

thanks for the deal cheapyd and redoctane!

I got the joystick today wtf seems like my product is a defect. sometimes double tapping up with it seems to automatically press circle during gameplay. :roll:

Thanks for the link cheapy. The reload pedal just came today. I haven't tried it yet since I don't have time crisis but I will be buying the game soon. Anyway, I can say that the site is great and shipping was extremely fast.

EDIT: Just noticed that they shipped from the same zip code as mine. No wonder shipping was fast. The place is within walking distance.

you can always swap out buttons and stick if you just want a cheap case. the case is pretty decent, especially for that price.

I just got my universal adapter and it makes the ps2 controller work ok so far on the pc but SUCKS as a Gamecube controller. The lag between button presses makes gameplay unplayable. Amongst other games, I popped in Mario Sunshine and almost everytime I pressed the jump button there would be a quarter second delay until the jump actually happened. The rest of the buttons responded similarly. As far as the analog control goes, it worked half decently in Monkey Ball but not good enough to justify it as an actual controller replacement.

I haven't gotten too crazy with the pc testing so I hope that it continues to be responsive as I try out more games.

bread's done
Back