Endless Ocean - Swim With the Fishes Online - $30

Yeah you do get used to it, and it isn't even really that bad, but to say they're top notch or to maintain that it's blashpemy to tell it how it is is comletely ridiculous.

If I want to play a pretty game for it's graphics, I'll look for one on the 360. Generally good graphics aren't really that important to me. They're important but not relative to alot of other factors I value, (I own endless ocean for pete's sake).

The first time they really bothered me was for the first 30 minutes or so of RE:4. I was like "WTF? Is this a Wii game b/c it's got teh Cube's graphics. Worst Jaggies ever. But an hour later I was so into the game they never really bothered me again.

The first time my mother saw me playing Endless Ocean, she asked if it was a documentary.

(55" widescreen rear-projection HDTV)

--R.J.

Holy crap. I just bought this and played this for (using in-game timer) a little over three and a half hours straight. Definitely full of crack. Gonna go change my Wii gamercard (I think I've gotten 5 new Wii games since I last changed it. Heh, Metroid.) and add my Endless Ocean FC. I'm afraid if I turn on my Wii again to get my FC I'll be sucked in for at leas an hour. Don't understand why people hate the boat. Not as cool as underwater but I only saw two jaggies. Who gives a shit?

One of the first things I thought of when I was on the boat was "this reminds me of Hey You Pikachu". It has a vague resemblance to it. Don't think HYP had specific rules either.

OK I am new to the Wii and to this forum. Doomed, I added your WFC and your EO # in the EO game. send me an email if you want to try to visit in EO would like to see how that works. If any one else wants to Co-Op play EO let me know.

MY Wii console code: 7641 4046 3421 0011 and my EO code is 9824 6040 4391

[quote name='Ranzak']OK I am new to the Wii and to this forum. Doomed, I added your WFC and your EO # in the EO game. send me an email if you want to try to visit in EO would like to see how that works. If any one else wants to Co-Op play EO let me know.

MY Wii console code: 7641 4046 3421 0011 and my EO code is 9824 6040 4391[/quote]
Have you dived with a friend yet? I guess I don't really see the point, especially if new fish don't register. I still play this a few hours a week (I'm slowly getting to the "end" of the ocean) and don't see how my experience would be improved with a friend dive.

[quote name='mephitical']Have you dived with a friend yet? I guess I don't really see the point, especially if new fish don't register. I still play this a few hours a week (I'm slowly getting to the "end" of the ocean) and don't see how my experience would be improved with a friend dive.[/quote]
I have. It's not that much fun, but still amusing.

I bought this a few weeks ago, and it's only been in my system a few times. The thing is, everytime I play it, I really enjoy it. I really need to put in a few consecutive hours into it. But, with Asssassin's Creed (360) and maybe buying Metroid Prime on the Gamestop deal of the week, this could be backburnered even longer.

I picked this up recently 'cause I was sick and wanted something relaxing to do, and I've gotta say that I'm impressed. This is a real quality experience, and lots of fun. I'm kind of surprised to hear it hasn't sold well; it seems perfect for casual gamers.

[quote name='tankexmortis']I'm kind of surprised to hear it hasn't sold well; it seems perfect for casual gamers.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it does. But unfortunately, casual gamers also don't read gaming sites or magazines and so miss out on a lot of games that don't have huge advertising budgets.

Yeah, I've been thinking recently that the lack of advertising dollars available to most third-parties has got to be the biggest hurdle in Wii game sales; since with the casual gamer as the typical user they can't rely on traditional game advertising. That, I think, is the biggest cause of the lack of third-party sales - they can't penetrate the casual market even if they try and pander to it.

Not sure how I feel about that. I don't think the Wii is lacking in quality titles, but it could sure use some more hardcore stuff, so maybe this will work out in my favor, with the third-party devs focusing on the core gamers and Nintendo mostly working on the soccer moms.

I'm glad to see renewed interest in this game, because I am also sad it didn't sell better. This was possibly my favorite experience on the Wii so far, and even after finishing the "story" I still put it in late at night to relax and explore. And find more fish; I'm still missing some. I could probably look at a FAQ online to find them, but a huge part of the charm of this game is the aimless swimming and stumbling on something you've never seen before.

So how did it sell in Japan? In other words, is there a chance of a sequel? This seems like a great idea that could use some serious expansion; a bigger world with more variety, more fish, and better graphics would be amazing. Not that I don't love EO the way it is, I just feel like it could be even better and I'd hate to miss out on what could be.

EDIT: Oh, so I guess the devs made two similar games for the PS2. That bodes well for a spiritual sequel, at least.

We recently got this from Goozex. I am as excited as ever to put it in... the wife keeps refusing until she beats Folklore on the Ps3..

So I am hopeful that this week or early next we will get some time.

Took a chance on this one from Gamefly after checking out this thread. I figured my daughters might really like it. Um, yeah, just a little--they've put in over 20 hours in a week's time. The Wii needs more titles like this one. It's a really smart choice for the system.

[quote name='mik']Took a chance on this one from Gamefly after checking out this thread. I figured my daughters might really like it. Um, yeah, just a little--they've put in over 20 hours in a week's time. The Wii needs more titles like this one. It's a really smart choice for the system.[/quote]
Man, how I love to see this game keep popping up. It's totally my wind-down game forever, despite having "beat" it. I would buy endless variations on this theme.

It actually makes me wonder if Sony's mythical Afrika might be something like this. I certainly hope so.

I was feeling a little stressed tonight, and although my first inclination was to pop in my recently borrowed Godfather: Blackhand Edition, I turned to my recently received Endless Ocean from Goozex. I had played once before for half an hour or so, and today I played for about twenty minutes more, exploring Blue Holes. I swam around and identified different fish and such. Just really had a relaxing time seeing the pretty sites and zooming in to view plants and coral. Sipping a Sparks beer and this was all a dandy time. I currently have my character sitting in the chair on the ship, watching the ocean. About to call a friend of mine for late night talking and intend to keep the ocean view up the whole time. Just a really calming experience. I don't see myself selling/trading this game for a long while.

I rated all of my games via the Nintendo channel, and Endless Ocean was the only one I gave a perfect score. :D
Man, I want to play this some more. My encyclopedia is calling.

Does the game provide any help on finding any of the fish? Like, areas where they might be? Forgive me if it's a silly question, but I've only put about an hour into this game.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Does the game provide any help on finding any of the fish? Like, areas where they might be? Forgive me if it's a silly question, but I've only put about an hour into this game.

Mmm, I think a Sparks beer and some Endless Ocean could do me some good this evening. Off I go then.[/quote]
Not really, except MAYBE your partner does for a very few special fish.
Just go on GameFAQs or stop complaining. This game is all about exploring, but I feel your pain.

You shouldn't WANT to use a FAQ with this game. It defeats the whole purpose. And now I am reminded that I have a few gaps in my encyclopedia as well and I want to swim randomly some more. I never get tired or riding whales either.

[quote name='mephitical']You shouldn't WANT to use a FAQ with this game. It defeats the whole purpose. And now I am reminded that I have a few gaps in my encyclopedia as well and I want to swim randomly some more. I never get tired or riding whales either.[/quote]
After a few months of playing you WANT to find those last few fish/mammals/birds/aquatic-lizards, even if it requires a FAQ.

[quote name='UltimoRey']After a few months of playing you WANT to find those last few fish/mammals/birds/aquatic-lizards, even if it requires a FAQ.[/quote]
Yeah, I guess after a few months. I'm still content to wander, but I can see wanting to be done with it all. utopianmachine's only been playing for an hour though.

I got this from Goozex. Now all the game on my shelf and random piles are fighting for game time. I haven't even started this game.

Reviving because this is such an amazing game and I want a sequel. To anybody reading this who does not own Endless Ocean:
BUY IT
It is not for everybody, and even I wasn't sure about it, but then I played it. I think only the most stubborn hardcore gamer wouldn't like it. It is my favorite Wii game and I have played SSBB, MKW, and MP3 and this still tops all of those. It is such a relaxing and different kind of game, there's so much to do, I love every second. This game is worth at least $50 to me, and you should be able to get it for like $15 used.

Even more reason to BUY ENDLESS OCEAN, Circuit City has this on sale (or maybe MSRP drop) for $19.99 from August 17 to 23. If this game doesn't get a sequel I'm holding you responsible lilboo. :nottalking: Come on, you know you want to! There are four people on GameFAQs who have actually completed this game, and it took them 200 hours.

Courtesy of speedy1961. Without him, I wouldn't have such an awesome fad avatar that died a year ago!

If anybody needs help or wants a WiFi diving partner, I'm still playing this awesome best game on Wii.

Well, not knowing anything about the CC sale (sorry, I tend to ignore those weekly ads as $10 off retail in real cash rarely excites me ;)) I ended up picking this up at Gamestop using the 25% off Wii games coupon for $17.54. Not bad considering I have oodles of GS credit right now so it really cost me much less in real money. I know absolutely nothing about the game, though. Maybe I'll give it a shot tomorrow night.

[quote name='io']Well, not knowing anything about the CC sale...[/quote]
I actually looked at the ads and still didn't see it! :lol:
I bought this from Bestbuy yesterday, although I did have a travelers check thing and a rewards certificate to bring it down to $7.02.
I think if I had tried to price match it, it would have been another incident to add to my growing list of misadventures at that particular Bestbuy. They're still on my bad side! :bomb:

I'm going to crack it open today to see what all the yelling is about.

My oldest son (8 1/2 years old) has lost interest in most games except Guitar Hero these days. But he is absolutely obsessed with this game now since I got it a few days ago. He actually insisted I sit down and play it with him tonight - that's the first time that's happened in a long while. Even Mario Galaxy didn't do that for him (and he used to play Mario Sunshine ALL the time).

Played some more today. I'm at 28+ hours now. This game is beautiful. There's been a lot of schoolwork lately and my video game time has been limited. I reached for Endless Ocean for the first time in a while. It was fun all the same. If this game or one similar to it came to XBOX 360 or PS3, that would probably push me over the edge to get one. Apparently ARIKA (the company who developed this) is making an African safari game for PS3. :whistle2:k

Endless Ocean 2 has been dated for 2009 in Japan and Europe. Chances are NA will get it in 2010.

Instead of mucking around with Audacity, I just play songs through my PC. Most of them only work in certain areas, so phase two will involve me splitting the playlist into different areas and times of day. Upbeat music in the
Abyss
doesn't really work. For now I kinda split it into groups, but it's untested. My findings are that a large number of songs from Super Mario Galaxy fit well, as do a few from World of Goo.

You Are A Pirate from LazyTown and Under The Sea also work well. Tell The Mana Knight.

Off-topic rant:

Going through all of these soundtracks from games that I hate but love the music from, (Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl) I realize that I'm too hard on them. Even though the adventure mode of SSBB is one of the worst adventures I've played, the multiplayer was a lot of fun with my friends and with a few CAG members.

Super Mario Galaxy, in spite of its easy difficulty, has great graphics, a better storyline than past Mario games, and there were times when I did have fun.

Finally, the game I sold off Super Mario Galaxy for, Mario Kart Wii, sucks much more than SMG, and I miss SMG every time I look at MK Wii. :cry: I still own Brawl... I wonder if I'm still any good, or for that matter if I was any good in the first place.

I'm sorry, SMG. Will you take me back? For $25 new like you were at Toys R Us the week you came out? Please?

I like to see that you come back to Endless Ocean every so often, Doomed. I thought I was the only one. I actually picked it up for a bit last week after taking a few months off. I'm around 30 hours like you and still have plenty of fish to find. Even without that as motivation, I love just swimming around.

I got this game for my 6 year old but it didn't resonate with him, at least not yet. I've been addicted to Animal Crossing and so haven't played it myself, but mean to play it eventually. Hopefully before the new version comes out. Maybe I'll start on it this weekend. I didn't see any obvious internet play option in the bit we did. I guess you have to play the game up to a point before you can play online?

[quote name='crunchewy']I got this game for my 6 year old but it didn't resonate with him, at least not yet. I've been addicted to Animal Crossing and so haven't played it myself, but mean to play it eventually. Hopefully before the new version comes out. Maybe I'll start on it this weekend. I didn't see any obvious internet play option in the bit we did. I guess you have to play the game up to a point before you can play online?[/quote]
Sort of. There's not really free and open "online play". You have to set up a dive with a friend. That's one thing I'm kind of hoping will be expanded on in the sequel, but at the same time I really appreciate the sense of solitude.

It didn't catch instantly with our five-year-old, but now a year later he asks to put it on every so often. He doesn't even want to play, he just wants me to find fish and read to him about them. Which is actually kind of surprising, since I don't really ever play video games around him so for him to choose EO over playing Mario Kart or something with me is a big deal.

lilboo, if you don't buy this at some point, I will hold you responsible for the lack of an Endless Ocean 3. 32 hours+ for my save now. It is on clearance at Target for $20.98 as of 4-14-2009.

My latest playlists. I was surprised how little of Finding Nemo could fit into EO. The playlists are a combination of some of my old EO playlists (before iTunes sapped them from me) and some new ones. Missing some, which I am working on.

eo-calm.png

eo-creepy.png

A single location spoiler included -
eo-ship.png

eo-upbeat.png

bread's done
Back