ESPN NFL 2005 $20 @ Gamestop - New MSRP?

That's gotta be an error on their part. I'd order it just to see what happens if they honor the price or not, but I'm broke.

think of the share of the sports market they would steal if this was correct?

It would probably be the best offensive aganist Madden

I did read somewhere that this IS part of their new sports stragedy, to be the lower price alternative to Madden. Didn't realize it'd be quite this low though.

Here's a link:

http://www.gaming-age.com/news/2004/6/8-17

"A significant part of Take-Two's strategy is to gain market share by offering extremely high quality products, supported with aggressive marketing and value pricing. "We plan to expand the audience for ESPN Videogames' sports titles by applying a variety of proven marketing techniques," said Mr. Eibeler. "We are also adding the compelling element of value pricing to this high quality line, creating a significant point of differentiation for both core and casual gamers. We believe the recent console price cuts are bringing new consumers into the interactive entertainment market, and sports titles will be a meaningful part of their software purchases. Finally, with Sony and Microsoft not publishing sports titles this holiday season, there is a significant competitive opportunity for ESPN Videogames titles. The combination of these factors should expand the overall market for sports titles."

[quote name='scsg75']That's gotta be an error on their part. I'd order it just to see what happens if they honor the price or not, but I'm broke.[/quote]

Not an error. Sega and Take-Two announced yesterday that for a few years, Sega's sports titles would be distributed worldwide through Globalstar Software (a tainted name IMO) and have value pricing, but the press release didn't say what the value pricing was at the time.

Too bad all of my friends will be all over Madden on Live. I'm not spending the $50 on it, but I would spend $20 on ESPN. Bet I can talk them into hockey though. :)

I hope this $20 price convinces a lot of gamers to try Sega's sport line. I can't stand each year how Sega's sports games sell horribly because a lot of casual gamers (the kind that go into EB and ask for gaming advice) refuse to play a sports game that doesn't have the EA Sports logo on the box.

Wow, that's awesome, I actually prefer the ESPN/2k series over Madden, but was planning on getting Madden this year to play on Live. Now I have to rethink everything I once knew.

Rich is right- this could be a double-edged blade for Sega/Take-Two. A lot of casual gamers I know assume if the game is cheap, it's no good.

Hopefully, though, some will see the light and convert to the glory of Visual Concepts' sports titles...

Really, aside from the college games (and MVP Baseball '04) where does EA beat VC?

i think what will happen is many people will get both games.

i always buy madden, and wanted epsn, but didnt want to spend $100 on football games. but now i know i will be getting the special edition of madden on ps2 and espn on xbox. i suspect i wont be the only one to do this now...

[quote name='monsterjoe77']i think what will happen is many people will get both games.

i always buy madden, and wanted epsn, but didnt want to spend $100 on football games. but now i know i will be getting the special edition of madden on ps2 and espn on xbox. i suspect i wont be the only one to do this now...[/quote]

Lol, the joy of owning multiple games!

[quote name='CheapyD']How about some ESPN Hockey $20 love!!!![/quote]

man. i havent heard truer words all day long. this actually is the best idea they could have. EA releases a barely tweeked version of madden every year, with it being online, i hope it cleans up the sega live games a bit so the kids that like to play arcade style can take 11-6 hockey games back to where they learned how to play them. these games are all great series and dropping them to 20 should up thier sales. im in for hockey, not sure about football.

I got in on the PS2 pre-order for $20 at EB, now I have the Xbox on pre-order for $20 through Gamestop. Considering cancelling the PS2 pre-order, but may wait to make sure I'm getting the Xbox version for $20.

[quote name='Tbolt7']Rich is right- this could be a double-edged blade for Sega/Take-Two. A lot of casual gamers I know assume if the game is cheap, it's no good.

Hopefully, though, some will see the light and convert to the glory of Visual Concepts' sports titles...

Really, aside from the college games (and MVP Baseball '04) where does EA beat VC?[/quote]

I don't totally think that's true. Look at all the PS2 games that are selling consistently at $20 and still selling well. Everyone knows Sega makes high quality sports games. It's just that every rapper and football player thinks Madden is the greatest damn game to ever grace the Earth, so that makes mindless kids who love said rappers rush out to buy the game.

Madden is a good game, but I've always been kinda partial to the Sega games. I hope this move unseats Madden, because I'm getting tired of all the hype it gets year in and year out.

ESPN NFL 2005 looked awesome at E3 this year...

I think its a great strategy for the ESPN sports lineup...I'm definitely in for hockey.

I ordered it. You guys should order QUICK if your going too. They have to honor the price you order it for.

Check out http://www.espnvideogames.com for some clips. Looks great!

Yeah, I was just stating that it could have easily been a mistake by Gamestop. I ordered it at EBgames for $20 though so I would recommend you guys to do same soon if you want this game.

Eh... I got NFL, but I would love if NHL is going to be $20... EBGames has it listed, but for $50. So who knows, maybe it will be the football game only.

BTW: NHL comes out a month later then NFL.

I'll pick up every ESPN game for this price! However, I probally will not preorder.

I think this is Sega's initiative to take the trophy alway from Madden ... I think critically both games are really about even. And a $20 MSRP will pretty much help 2k5 outsell Madden easily -- esp. given Take Two's marketing muscle.

19.99 is just insane.

a budget price would be 29.99

But just think how many people will now buy 2k5 instead of madden for 49.99-54.99(ce)

Hell it might make madden lower there price to 39.99.

Buy it at Gamestop.com. You dont have to pay for taxes also use the coupon code ovr4grnd and get next day for ground price.

as far as sega stealing sales away from madden is concerned...it is at least somewhat true in my case. i was contemplating picking up a new football game this year, but i wasn't really sure if i would do it, but if i was going to do it, i was going to get madden. but now, i know that i will be picking up a new football game, and it will be sega's game. also, i wasn't planning on picking up a basketball game or a hockey game, but if they are also $20, then i will. the best part will be if they are all $20, and i can get enough of those coke codes to get 3 $10 coupon codes. i'll be getting the main 3 sega sports games for a combined cost of $30 plus shipping and taxes. this deal may seem incredible at first, but if you think about it, there really is no reason for sports games to cost $50 year after year. they aren't like normal games where the developer has to start from scratch...most of the time they just add a few enhancements to the previous year's version. this is the best news all week.

[quote name='trent82']the best part will be if they are all $20, and i can get enough of those coke codes to get 3 $10 coupon codes. i'll be getting the main 3 sega sports games for a combined cost of $30 plus shipping and taxes.[/quote]

Don't the coupon codes just work with Coke's on-line store?

[quote name='magilacudy']Holy crap that's sweet. I just read the preview on IGN and ESPN looks to be the football game to have this year.[/quote]

this applies to every other year as well

bread's done
Back