Fable II Platinum Hits (w/ DLC) - $27.99, Limited Edition $25.60 @ Amazon

BingoBrown

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Update:
Limited Edition is $25.60
Platinum Hits (w/DLC) $27.99

More of a warm deal than a hot deal, I just recently learned about the release of Fable II Plantium Hits on January 6th. The cheapest I can find for it is at Amazon, for $27.99 with FSSS.

The Platinum Hits version includes the "See the Future" and "Knothole Island" DLC expansion packs, which cost a total of 1360 pts on Xbox Live. Better yet, for those of you with limited hard drive space available, this DLC is included on the Platinum Hits disc itself, so you won't need to download the content from Xbox Live with a token.

Here's a review of the Platinum Hits version on IGN: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/106/1060444p1.html

Overall, $28 isn't a great price, considering it retails for only $30, but this is one of the best games for the 360, and the bonus DLC content really makes this Platinum Hits version shine.

Last edited by a moderator:
guys, just fyi about the $20 best buy listing.. don't be surprised if get the regular edition

I spent about 30 min there last night dealing with very unhelpful employees. I concluded that the online system is wrong, and the sku for the regular edition of the game is listed as "platinum hits." They kept trying to take the unhelpful and easy way out saying that they were the same thing. To my knowledge, the didn't have any actual platinum hits copies in stock.

[quote name='Mizzou75']oh nice. i have a $10 BB gift card that i've been holding on to, so this will work great for me.[/QUOTE]

Beware if you buy from Best Buy that you might get the original version from 2008. The release date shown online is for the original version, the price is for the original version and nowhere in the description does it mention the bonus items that you receive with the 2010 version. Many have stated that they can't even find the 2010 version in stores.

Crap I guess my sealed copy of the limited edition with the bonus DLC that I have had since the game launched isnt worth anything anymore.

[quote name='whoasaywhat']Beware if you buy from Best Buy that you might get the original version from 2008. The release date shown online is for the original version, the price is for the original version and nowhere in the description does it mention the bonus items that you receive with the 2010 version. Many have stated that they can't even find the 2010 version in stores.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the advice guys. ill wait it out i guess.

again, for CAGers interested in LE or already ordered LE

dont buy it, it sux

this LE is so cheap that it only comes with a "LE" coverart, the packaging is the same as ordinary priced games, just a bonus disk which plays only on your xbox

I see a lot of people bitching about Fable 2 being this big disappointment. That was just history repeating itself. People flapped on about how big a let down Fable was, and apparently by the time 2 came out not only had they completely forgotten what a letdown Fable was, they'd made Fable 2 a hit in sales.

It'll happen again too. Just watch, it's pretty funny. Fable 3 will make people scream orgasmically with all the big promises and hype, just like the last time, and then people will crap themselves in anger when the actual game is in their hands and they see what a steaming pile of letdown it really is, just like the last one. Frankly, where this series is concerned, I go in with zero expectations, they've both been linear, and I consider the game a rousing success if it can actually be released without game-crippling bugs.

I played the first game, so I was prepared for the set paths and paper thin ideas presented in the second game. I wasn't disappointed by a thing. Maybe instead of taking marketing hype at face value, people should actually dig a little deeper next time. That's all.

[quote name='whoasaywhat']Beware if you buy from Best Buy that you might get the original version from 2008. The release date shown online is for the original version, the price is for the original version and nowhere in the description does it mention the bonus items that you receive with the 2010 version. Many have stated that they can't even find the 2010 version in stores.[/QUOTE]

Yep. And this same thing happened recently with the Live Messenger kits. They had a picture of the kit that comes with the 12 months of Live, but all of the info on the page was just for the cheaper messenger bundle.

[quote name='skateraXVIII']Is "See the Future" and "Knothole Island" even worth it? I just got a regular copy of Fable II from Target for $7.48 a few days ago.[/QUOTE]

Not at that price, no. All DLC is essentially superfluous. Unless you're absolutely obsessed with a game and you're dying for just a few more hours, I don't see the reason to not pass.

[quote name='ProggleRock']Not at that price, no. All DLC is essentially superfluous. Unless you're absolutely obsessed with a game and you're dying for just a few more hours, I don't see the reason to not pass.[/QUOTE]

Now that I think about it, I would have to be crazy to pay more for the dlc content than I paid on the actual game itself.

Just remember there was a problem with some of the Halo Armor cards that were in the original LE's of Fable II and Microsoft had a link where all you had to do was put in your email address and they eventually emailed you a token code to download the Armor. They didn't require proof, so ANYONE could have gotten that DLC.

Great deal for a great game. I had to buy it from Gamestop only because of the $10 credit i had. Hope they don't pull a Best Buy on me and send me the original.
Thanks OP.

[quote name='Icehearted']I see a lot of people bitching about Fable 2 being this big disappointment. That was just history repeating itself. People flapped on about how big a let down Fable was, and apparently by the time 2 came out not only had they completely forgotten what a letdown Fable was, they'd made Fable 2 a hit in sales.

It'll happen again too. Just watch, it's pretty funny. Fable 3 will make people scream orgasmically with all the big promises and hype, just like the last time, and then people will crap themselves in anger when the actual game is in their hands and they see what a steaming pile of letdown it really is, just like the last one. Frankly, where this series is concerned, I go in with zero expectations, they've both been linear, and I consider the game a rousing success if it can actually be released without game-crippling bugs.

I played the first game, so I was prepared for the set paths and paper thin ideas presented in the second game. I wasn't disappointed by a thing. Maybe instead of taking marketing hype at face value, people should actually dig a little deeper next time. That's all.[/QUOTE]

I'll agree with your point on Fable 3, but in Fable 1's defense, the Lost Chapters is actually a really solid game and did alot to improve the original game. The 2nd game still doesn't live up to the storyline of the first and actually leaves quite a bit to be desired. I was hoping that Fable 2 might repeat that, adding new enemies and finishing the story with a real ending by the time the GOTY edition came out ... sadly the DLC content support has been rather pathetic ... but yeah, Fable 3 ... guess we'll see how that turns out ...

OK fellas...

So it was a no go at BB in Aventura, FL...

I looked everywhere man but all they had was the regular version.

This despite the fact that it said it was in stock online.

Asked an employee and after about 10 min. of them looking in their inventory blah blah blah they said that it must be in the truck that came in and just hasnt been put out yet or some junk like that :roll:

They had a crapload of the regular version though...

This all reminds me of that movie 'Jingle All The Way' when every store Schwarzenegger went to they didnt have the Turboman figure, just plenty of the crappy Booster figure that no one wanted.

[quote name='xbox_mole']They didn't require proof, so ANYONE could have gotten that DLC.[/QUOTE]

I never got it despite asking for it :cry:

No big deal as I didn't really want it anyway. For me personally it would've broken the immersion seeing a set of Halo wares in a fantasy medieval era game.

I'm heading up to BB later today. I'll report back.

I'm guessing it'll be the same story. Retail stores generally don't seem to be in a rush to replace games with an updated version. Which obviously makes sense. I remember a similar thing happening with the GoW2 GOTY edition.

I'm guessing they'd give you the original. Then again, there's nothing to lose by trying it out if you're considering it. Just give it right back.

If they actually have the PH version in stock, you might be able to put up a big enough stink to get them to give it to you. I know some people got the 12-month Live Messenger kit back during that fiasco.

[quote name='wildnuts02']so if i buy the PH version from BB.com and choose in-store pickup, i wonder whether they'd give me the right version...[/QUOTE]

almost certainly not. As others have reported my best buy also did not have any PH versions. I wouldnt be surprised to see the price rise to $30 once they actually begin to ship the PH versions out to stores.

Checked all the BB in my area (N. Utah) and only the regular version is available. I hope that when the stock runs out they will start carrying the PH instead. Well back to my six wives.

I picked up the plat version at Gamestop when I traded in Tekken 6 with the 30% deal and I am really loving the game. I didn't like the first one to much, but I'm getting addicted to this one.

Did anyone else bite on the LE version? I ordered it just for the heck of it. I already have the LE version and the DLC, so this one was just to keep sealed.
The problem is, I'm almost positive it's not "new". The shrinkwrap is not the usual 360 game shrinkwrap and if you look closely, you can actually see traces of the original shrinkwrap underneath. Just wondering if anyone else noticed this or if anyone had problems with missing DLC. I'm considering returning it.

[quote name='tears2040']:roll:

Fable II was/is the biggest disappointment of a game this generation. Think about the narrow pathways, secluded areas & the most idiotic "gesture" system I have ever seen.

Fable fails as an rpg, adventure game & so much more. Simply horrible game....[/QUOTE]

you probably just suck at it or didn't understand the concept of the game and all. It bothers me when fallout 3 and other games get so much hype and praise, yet they won't give credit to games like fable 2 which are pretty good. I loved fable 2 and played through it twice. Fallout 3? I couldn't get into it as much and didn't want to put in the 40+hours to complete the game but I did like the gameplay and graphics. Fable 2 limited edition is a steal for under $30 because you get the halo extras for ya character, extra dungeon map, slip cover and i think tha'ts it..

I think on Giantbomb they were playing both tons last year. Ultimately more Fallout 3 it sounded like, but they loved both.

Personally I couldn't get in to Oblivion that much...just...hard/kind of empty. I don't know.

At one time I waited for the PH of Xbox 360 games, but now I rather get the original case at the same price of PH's. When Best Buy had B2G1F I got Halo 3, Halo Wars and Fable II. So now I have Fable II without any DLC. Here's hoping I get some free MS Points.

When I had Forza 2 PH you had to install the DLC first.

[quote name='shafnitz']Did anyone else bite on the LE version? I ordered it just for the heck of it. I already have the LE version and the DLC, so this one was just to keep sealed.
The problem is, I'm almost positive it's not "new". The shrinkwrap is not the usual 360 game shrinkwrap and if you look closely, you can actually see traces of the original shrinkwrap underneath. Just wondering if anyone else noticed this or if anyone had problems with missing DLC. I'm considering returning it.[/QUOTE]

Mine was like that. I had 2 slivers of the original shrink wrap sitting on top of disc when I opened it.

[quote name='whoasaywhat']Mine was like that. I had 2 slivers of the original shrink wrap sitting on top of disc when I opened it.[/QUOTE]

Did it still have the DLC cards and did the discs look used? I just decided to return mine.

[quote name='shafnitz']Did it still have the DLC cards and did the discs look used? I just decided to return mine.[/QUOTE]

DLC cards=yes. Used game=no

[quote name='flameofdoom666']Is the P.H version of Fable II a 2 disc set with the DLC on another disc?[/QUOTE]

No, it's one disc and you need to have the disc in your 360 to play it. I also tried to load my save with the standard game later and I could not do it. There may be no going back to the regular disc if you finish all of the DLC on the GOTY edition.

[quote name='wyatt8']No, it's one disc and you need to have the disc in your 360 to play it. I also tried to load my save with the standard game later and I could not do it. There may be no going back to the regular disc if you finish all of the DLC on the GOTY edition.[/QUOTE]

I have the regular edition (well... LE), and the DLC downloaded. If I delete the DLC, can I use my file with the P.H edition?

I've got a question. I've got the regular version and I still haven't beaten it but am close I think. I'm thinking about getting the Platinum Hits. Would my save work with the Platinum hits or would I have to start over?

I was hesitant to pick this one up. I rented it once, played it for a few minutes, got bored, and shipped it back to GameFly, because something else was coming out that I really wanted. Plus, a lot of people who apparently liked the first one keep referring to Fable 2 as a disappointment. But I decided to get the PH when Amazon had the B2G1, and I am really enjoying it. Reminds me a lot of Fallout 3, which is one of the my favorite games ever.

[quote name='hskr121']I've got a question. I've got the regular version and I still haven't beaten it but am close I think. I'm thinking about getting the Platinum Hits. Would my save work with the Platinum hits or would I have to start over?[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering the same thing.

[quote name='hskr121']I've got a question. I've got the regular version and I still haven't beaten it but am close I think. I'm thinking about getting the Platinum Hits. Would my save work with the Platinum hits or would I have to start over?[/QUOTE]

I have seen many others post that it is compatible with old saves from the reg. edition.

I would confirm myself but UPS hasnt delivered for over a week now due to the big snow storms we have been getting in the mid Atlantic coast. :bomb:

I could be wrong, but I think Xbox categorizes everything by game, no matter what version (Platinum Hits, GOTY, On Demand, locked demo, etc) so that everything syncs up like achievements and saves. Even if it didn't, I don't know why the game would be any physically different on the PH disc than on any other. It just has extra, separate content.

[quote name='tears2040']:roll:

Fable II was/is the biggest disappointment of a game this generation. Think about the narrow pathways, secluded areas & the most idiotic "gesture" system I have ever seen.

Fable fails as an rpg, adventure game & so much more. Simply horrible game....[/QUOTE]

Some people love it, some people hate it. I love Fable 2, it's my favorite game experience of '08, and I highly recommend it.

Unfortunately the Limited Ed deal is no longer active, but I'll spring for it for $30 to have it sealed. I'll wait for the PH to reach $20 all included, since I already have the original game and DLC. Collectors suck!

bread's done
Back