Fallout 1, 2 & Tactics $14.99, NO DRM

Play and enjoy fallout 1 and 2, they're two of the best old school Western RPGs ever.

Tactics is a bit more iffy. Some like it, some don't.

Gog.com has all three for 6 each, again no DRM, XP & Vista certified, patched and supposedly bug free.

Plus with GOG, you get manuals, wallpaper, soundtracks all free, downloadable anytime you want.

GOG's library is ever expanding...

Unsure if you need Gametap to play the ones the OP mentions.

[quote name='eldergod']Are these the censored ones that have to be patched for child-killing?[/quote]

I still have the original FO 1/2 so I can kill as many children as I want. :lol:

[quote name='jer7583']Play and enjoy fallout 1 and 2, they're two of the best old school Western RPGs ever.

Tactics is a bit more iffy. Some like it, some don't.[/quote]

I agree. Fallout 1 is one of the best RPGs I've ever played.

[quote name='Yanksfan']Excellent deal. I just wish I could run them on my Mac. :([/QUOTE]

Why can't you run them on your mac? If it's a newer mac, you should be able to use bootcamp and I know for a fact that mac versions of 1 and 2 exist for older, non-intel based macs. Just gotta track them down, they're a bit harder to find.

WTF, I didn't know about GOG or Gametap before this post.

Why does GOG have stuff like Redneck Rampage, and Gametag is offering a bunch of free games? Awesome.

Having never played a Fallout game is this something that I should check out before Fallout 3 (which I will definitely play at some point)?

Will it add substantially to my understanding/enjoyment of 3?

Would it be just as much fun to go back after beating 3 and play these ones later?

The game style is very different from 3. If you enjoy western RPGs, you'll likely love the old games. If you don't have the patience check out the retrospective on gametrailers.com

I got a collection a few months ago on Amazon but the damn think was the UK version for some odd reason. None of the resolution increase patches will work on that EXE.

[quote name='Armstrong x360a']Having never played a Fallout game is this something that I should check out before Fallout 3 (which I will definitely play at some point)?

Will it add substantially to my understanding/enjoyment of 3?

Would it be just as much fun to go back after beating 3 and play these ones later?[/QUOTE]

Without having played the earlier games, there are things in 3 you just won't get. The vault 77 jumpsuit and harold come to mind off hand. You won't understand either without having played the game, but there's a VERY real change you'd never find the jumpsuit and note without knowing where it is and looking for it and harold is part of a side mission that is pretty hard to find. You can play it no problem wihout having played the earlier ones, but there are things that will mean more having played them. In fact... there is more than 1 Wastleland reference in the game, which is the OLD game that Fallout 1 was based on. I jumped for joy the first time I came across one of those. All that said, Fallout 1 is one of the best games ever. Period. 2 I didn't like as much, but it's still worth playing. I loved Tactics, but you have to be a certain kind of person to do so. It is HARDCORE turn-based strategy, like Silent Storm. This is not Shining Force of something like that. And, if at all possible, for anyone that knows how to get a copy, go WAY back and play Wasteland. I love Fallout 1, 2, 3, Tactics, etc., but none of them are still (IMO) as good as the original Wasteland.

Tactics is hugely underrated IMO, I never got to play Wasteland it'd be nice to see GameTap or GOG pick it up.

[quote name='Armstrong x360a']Will it add substantially to my understanding/enjoyment of 3? [/quote]

Not really, theres limited reference to the older games in FO3 and what there actually is, is purely cosmetic. This is basically how the previous games functioned as well. In each game you play as a totally different dweller leaving the vault for different reasons.

i have all the original CDs (from the 90s) can i patch them for vista? i havent played them in a bit and would LOOOOVE to replay them after im done w/ 3.

i liked fallout 2 the most out of all of them.

you dont *need* to play them to enjoy 3, but if you like the setting/world/story of 3, you absolutely have to play the originals. they are much more RPG than 3 is (3 is action, imo). since they are all story independent, just play 3 first and the rest later (if you wanna dwell deeper into the universe).

fallout tactics should probably be the last thing you play, after 1-3, if you still want more fallout, its not a bad game but radically different. whatever you do skip the horrible xbox/ps2 BoS game that came out a couple years ago. that was utter fecal matter.

Just picked up Fallout 2 from Gog.com. I still have my original Fallout 1 disc but managed to lose FO2. I'm simultaneously replaying FO1 on my aged laptop, replaying FO2 on my desktop, and playing FO3 on my 360. For anyone investing in these great games, do yourself a favor and check out the mods for them...especially killap's unofficial patches and restoration project...good stuff indeed!

Once I get through one of these, I'll pick up Tactics!

Are these REALLY DRM free? I *LOVE* Gametap to pieces, but the normal stuff has DRM on it (which is fine, it's a rental service). I think they've "sold" stuff too, but it also has DRM and is just like Steam or whatever-you don't own it...except maybe you really do with these, which would be cool.

yes they are DRM-free. these three games have been distributed as a cheap as dirt bundle for a while now, interplay sold off most of its' rights to the franchise (including legacy publishing) a while ago when they were in deep financial crisis.

fallout 2 is considered by many to be superior to the former due to its increased scope, detail, inventory, story line and characters. fallout 1 also had the nasty problem of being time based (you raced the in game clock to accomplish two life-changing tasks) which bashed by pretty much every roleplaying fan who wanted to explore and really dwell in the setting. later a patch was released to remove one of the time constraints but still half the game was race against the clock.

Nice retrospective video of the series on Gametrailers. link Fair warning though, there's obviously spoilers, if you plan on playing the games.

That time constraint doesn't sound fun. I tried playing the first one years after it came out (well after playing Bioware's games), and just couldn't get in to it. To me the interface felt really clunky (in addition to terrible graphics), but there seems to be a ton of depth there.

The time constraint is removed with the latest patch. Fallout 2 is also notorious for being pretty difficult.

That's not good, 'cause I though what I played of the first one seemed crazy hard. Hopefully the third one's easier, 'cause I bought it last week.

heard it was good but I don't think I can get into the old school style, I havn't gotten around to finishing F3 yet. What's the combat system in the old one like is a step down from everything in F3?

combat is entirey turn based. you take a shot, they take a shot and/or move or heal all of which uses a fixed pool of points [which grows as you level], and thats the way it plays out until someone runs away or dies. you use vats the entire time to target, manage your status, and location during combat. Its very primitive by todays standards but also part of the formula that makes the games what they are. By comparison in FO3 vats is far more of an afterthought.

Where can you get the mods for these, wouldn't mine dustin off my copies to play some mods. Never seen any for the fallout series

[quote name='shadowkast']Where can you get the mods for these, wouldn't mine dustin off my copies to play some mods. Never seen any for the fallout series[/QUOTE]

Try this little site for mods and info. Careful of the forums, as they are some strong opinions on the FO games and don't seem to recognize FO3 as a legitimate game.

http://www.nma-fallout.com

Definitely look at killap's Fallout 2 Restoration Mod which fixes all of the bugs and restores content never implemented by the programmers.

bread's done
Back