Fallout 3 - Gen. Discussion & Info - 'GOTY' Edition w/All 5 DLC Packs 10.13.09

So I'm supposed to head to
Galaxy Radio Station to look for my dad
but I get my ass handed to me practically everywhere I go. I'm only level 3, is that the problem? It's really frustrating to get my ass whooped by all these fucking guys because my guns suck or my character is too weak, and really causing me to dislike this game. I'm fairly early on, but is there some kind of gun or upgrade or something I should know about?

[quote name='lolwut?']So I'm supposed to head to
Galaxy Radio Station to look for my dad
but I get my ass handed to me practically everywhere I go. I'm only level 3, is that the problem? It's really frustrating to get my ass whooped by all these fucking guys because my guns suck or my character is too weak, and really causing me to dislike this game. I'm fairly early on, but is there some kind of gun or upgrade or something I should know about?[/QUOTE]
That makes two of us.

Pick up the Strength bobblehead in Megaton (Lucas's house). It definitely helps out - use the baseball bat when possible, and you'll do some serious damage. VATS with the bat is great if you aim for the arms and head.

And stay the hell out of Grayditch. Fire ants fucking suck.

Yeah, Level 3 is kind of early to tackle the trek to GNR. You're going right into DC, which is not a smart idea. That is where you will meet up with the majority of the Super Mutants in the Wasteland. Level up some. There are so many quests to do in the surrounding states, so you might as well get some achievements and level up. Then, go on with the main quest.

i hit lv20 just doing side quest and exploring, just went to GNR today.
Explore a little, find some better weapons, do a quest or two to help level up before
heading to GNR.

:rofl: At the thought of a level 3 getting to GNR and having
to face the super mutant behemoth that appears as soon as you get there.

Not to spoil anything for you but you will have to do a lot of questing before going to the GNR building even though that quest seems pretty early in the game. There is tons to do in the game dont rush through the main quest.

Yeah...

...it would take you like an hour to whittle down the Behemoth, considering the stats and weapons you'd have at Level 3. You'd have to find a good spot and shoot at the thing all night. Not fun.

Yeah, I tried fighting that guy. I basically couldn't hit him with my hunting rifle, got bored with my pistol, rushed at him with nades, tried to shotty him, and well, died. I did knock off a big chunk of his health though.

[quote name='Chase']It makes me sad that G.E.C.K. is a PC exclusive.[/quote]

Yeah, but it's obviously understandable. There simply isn't anyway they could do it on a console, especially the 360, considering the lack of keyboard and mouse support. Besides that, of course, is the reality that they would have to build a completely different editor from the ground up for it to work on consoles, and it would probably be watered-down. The PC editor just wouldn't work, because it is a complete modification tool, having access to all the game's files and what not. And beyond all of that is whatever hoops Microsoft and Sony would make them jump through...probably less so from Sony, but still.

I
actually took out the Super Mutant Behemoth at level 4 with a load of Mini Nukes I came across with the Fat Boy. It was hard as hell.

[quote name='jp0213']I
actually took out the Super Mutant Behemoth at level 4 with a load of Mini Nukes I came across with the Fat Boy. It was hard as hell.
[/quote]

Yeah...

There's always that Fat Boy there, but sometimes, the fallen BoS member it's near isn't there. I don't know what I did to trigger this, but it's what happened to me. I looked for it everywhere, but I couldn't find it. So, I had to fight that bastard with small arms.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Yeah, but it's obviously understandable. There simply isn't anyway they could do it on a console, especially the 360, considering the lack of keyboard and mouse support. Besides that, of course, is the reality that they would have to build a completely different editor from the ground up for it to work on consoles, and it would probably be watered-down. The PC editor just wouldn't work, because it is a complete modification tool, having access to all the game's files and what not. And beyond all of that is whatever hoops Microsoft and Sony would make them jump through...probably less so from Sony, but still.[/quote]

True, true. I need to buy a new PC for gaming.

Maybe it's because I played oblivion a lot but I didn't find this game to be hard at all. Don't forget if you guys are having trouble just set it to very easy. Sure you get less exp. but them's the breaks.

[quote name='Chase']True, true. I need to buy a new PC for gaming.[/quote]

You really don't even need a great PC for gaming. Depending on what kind of machine you have now, you can buy a $100 video card and be set. You won't be maxing games out or even playing many of them on high, but some medium-to-high setting aren't bad. I played a lot of games with a 7600GT, which was a quality mid-range card that cost me $100 at the time, and everything looked great, on par with console games

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Where the hell can I find nukes for the Fat Boy? I have like four of them but I've never seen ammo for them.[/quote]

Don't you usually find some when you find the Fat Men? I have 11 shots and I just took down my first Behemoth (not including the storyline one).

Son of a bitch. More people in the game need to sell .40 cal ammo. Can never have enough. I am this close to beating this game but have about 3 side quest left and 3 cheeses before I can really be done not including the cheeses which require you to be a certain karma at a certain level.

Currently I am trying to kill the reminding 2 super mutant behemoths but I cant even get to Tokoma...there are like 4 super mutants with freaking rocket launchers raping me down this one alley.

I don't know how anyone could say that this game is hard. I actually found it too easy at most points...but not too easy to the point of being no fun. Maybe I just went down the right paths (if there are any) according to my level progression. I slept whenever I saw a bed. I bought out all of the ammo and stimpaks at every shop I visited (revisiting often if needed). I searched every room in every building up and down for ammo, stimpaks and any valuables to resell. I dealt mostly headshots via the VATS mode with whatever was the most powerful weapon I had at the time. I think that for the most part, if you miss out on one important feature in the game, the game can become very hard. For instance: My friend (21 years old) and my nephew (12 years old) both didn't know about the VATS mode thing. I guess they skipped over the whole radroach training at the beginning. My friend also didn't know that you could sleep. So I guess I could see how people could say this game is hard, but only if they're not playing the game as a whole.

None of the bad guys were hard unless they threw more than 5 at me coming from all directions, with 1 or 2 shooting missiles.
I ended the game (after over 85 hours with all of the achievements) with a shit load of nukes and other high powered ammo because I was always waiting for something big to come at me...but nothing did. I think I used 1 nuke on each Super Mutant Behemoth to take a huge chunk of their health away...but that was it.

Over-all: Best game I've played in probably 10 years. And to be honest, even though it highly interested me, the story eventually lost my interest somewhere towards the first half (I think my ADD killed it or I just skipped over one important part one time when I was tired and just said screw it)...I just had fun playing. I'd like to replay it again, but the repetitiveness of the subway areas would eventually make me stop.

Well, my first questions would be what setting are you playing it on? If you are not playing it on Very Hard then obviously it would be so.

Also I did you finish the game with all cheese? As in how did you get the cheese that requires you to be a certain level and karma to unlock? I am guessing a save than reload but that seems like a huge time investment.

I will say this though. This game needs a damn counter somewhere. I would like to know how close I am to picking 50 locks or 50 hacks.

EDIT: DOH!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Soodmeg']I will say this though. This game needs a damn counter somewhere.I would like to know how close I am to picking 50 locks or 50 hacks.[/quote]

Its on your Pipboy. Go to the General tab. It has a list of all that stuff. How many humans/critters killed, etc.

Yeah I saw that right after I posted that.

God damn I only have 29 nine hacks....I need to find some computers quick.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Well, my first questions would be what setting are you playing it on? If you are not playing it on Very Hard then obviously it would be so.

Also I did you finish the game with all cheese? As in how did you get the cheese that requires you to be a certain level and karma to unlock? I am guessing a save than reload but that seems like a huge time investment.

I will say this though. This game needs a damn counter somewhere. I would like to know how close I am to picking 50 locks or 50 hacks.

EDIT: DOH![/quote]

First of all, it took me a few minutes to figure out what the hell you were talking about with "cheese." lol I'm not sure why people can't just call them achievements.

But anyways...the Karma achievements couldn't be easier. I look at the achievements before I play any game...so I knew to save the game before level 8, 14, 20. If I didn't, I just reloaded the previous auto-save (which is usually often...so not much back-tracking). Then you just play 'til the achievement pops up. If I had bad karma (which I normally did because of constantly stealing), I'd upload the previous save and fast-tracked back to Megaton and donated to the church until my Karma changed to neutral. Then I fast-tracked to where there were enemies and killed them 'til my achievement popped up. I then did the same thing to get the good karma achievement. If you got the achievement with good karma first...just go and kill a ton of good people and/or steal a lot til your karma changes...then go and kill some more bad guys. Very simple.

As for the counter. There is one. It's randomly in the load screens and it's in your Pip-boy. Press B to open your Pip-boy, then press RT 'til you get to the screen that has the "General" tab on the far right. It tells you everything there. I had to turn my game on to remember how to get there. I apparently picked 361 locks and hacked 63 computers. I stopped caring about the computers after I got that achievement.

As for the setting I played it on. I played it on Normal for the most part. I didn't notice much of a difference either way once my stats were so jacked up. I toyed around with it during the beginning a little bit because if you're playing it on Normal and know their is an easy bad guy coming up, you can switch it to Hard and get more XP for the harder difficulty. Another note on XP...there is a perk later on that is pretty bad ass that lets you jump a whole 'nother level right away. I used that perk. Looking back now...I shouldn't have because it ended up being useless, considering I would've probably ended the game with a level 100 if the leveling up didn't have a limit.

EDIT: Just saw that someone else told you how to see the counter. My bad.

Argh!! I just realized that there's one Bobblehead that can only be picked up at a certain point in the game. I already missed the opportunity and have spent a few hours collecting the others. Now I have to find an older save, collect the missing bobblehead, AND collect all the ones that I've already collected.

Please, if you are planning on getting the Vault tech CEO achievement
Get the bobblehead before you leave Raven Rock

@ Dropout.
I dont know why people call it that. Why do people shorten any word....most likely because we are a lazy. Also, yeah I guess looking back I should have looked at the cheese before hand. I rarely ever do that for any game because I like to have a "pure" run through of a game first then go back and get stuff. Some of the cheeses are labled with plot spoliers and I find it kinda hard to get into a game when I an constantly pressing the guid button and checking online trying to figure out how to get certain ones. Thanks you cleared that right up though.

On an unrelated note.

Yep, you know normally I really really really hate collection quest/mission/whatever in any game.

But this game....I really dont mind finding the noka cola. Maybe because there are like 152 you can get and you only need 30 so I have to hunt far less than most games.

As for bobble heads? I dont know if I will be collecting them, maybe 10 because I think I found 9 by pure luck.

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']But anyways...the Karma achievements couldn't be easier. I look at the achievements before I play any game...so I knew to save the game before level 8, 14, 20. If I didn't, I just reloaded the previous auto-save (which is usually often...so not much back-tracking). Then you just play 'til the achievement pops up. If I had bad karma (which I normally did because of constantly stealing), I'd upload the previous save and fast-tracked back to Megaton and donated to the church until my Karma changed to neutral. Then I fast-tracked to where there were enemies and killed them 'til my achievement popped up. I then did the same thing to get the good karma achievement. If you got the achievement with good karma first...just go and kill a ton of good people and/or steal a lot til your karma changes...then go and kill some more bad guys. Very simple.[/quote]

Yep, fairly simple. I didn't bother to look at the achievements, and by the time I realized it, I just said, "fuck it." I know I will play this game so many more times, so I'll get the neutral and bad achievements during those playthroughs.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']Argh!! I just realized that there's one Bobblehead that can only be picked up at a certain point in the game. I already missed the opportunity and have spent a few hours collecting the others. Now I have to find an older save, collect the missing bobblehead, AND collect all the ones that I've already collected.

Please, if you are planning on getting the Vault tech CEO achievement
Get the bobblehead before you leave Raven Rock
[/quote]

Indeed. Also, don't forget the one in your father's office. I mean, it's right there, and it's probably the first one most of us got. But if some reason you didn't get it while you were still living in the Vault, you have one more shot when you do the quest there.

[quote name='Soodmeg']@ Dropout.
I dont know why people call it that. Why do people shorten any word....most likely because we are a lazy. Also, yeah I guess looking back I should have looked at the cheese before hand. I rarely ever do that for any game because I like to have a "pure" run through of a game first then go back and get stuff. Some of the cheeses are labled with plot spoliers and I find it kinda hard to get into a game when I an constantly pressing the guid button and checking online trying to figure out how to get certain ones. Thanks you cleared that right up though.

On an unrelated note.

Yep, you know normally I really really really hate collection quest/mission/whatever in any game.

But this game....I really dont mind finding the noka cola. Maybe because there are like 152 you can get and you only need 30 so I have to hunt far less than most games.

As for bobble heads? I dont know if I will be collecting them, maybe 10 because I think I found 9 by pure luck.[/quote]

I like playing games pure the first time too...but a lot of times, if you want to get all of the achievements, you'll have to play a game through 3 different times no matter what. Whether it's because of the difficulty or leveling up and blah blah blah. I know Dead Space makes you play through at least twice. I personally had to play through it 2 and a half times to get all of the achievements. I loved the game, but am now sick of it. I guess it all depends on how much of a nerd you are and/or how much you care about achievements...which is one in the same, right? lol

As for the bobbleheads...I collected around 9 by myself, but then used a guide. It took me only 30 minutes to find the 11 or so that I missed, once I used the guide. A lot of them were really simple, but easily hard to miss. This game is so huge, I know I would've never have found at least 3 of them without a guide. Luckily for me, I somehow managed to find the 3 (I think that's how many) that you can only find at certain points of the game. If you want the bobblehead achievement, I strongly suggest you look for a guide beforehand or look forward to replaying the game...unless you're lucky like I was.

Oh, you definitely have to use a guide to find all the bobbleheads. I mean...

Rockopolis

Who the hell is finding that place, unless you are actually looking for it?

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Oh, you definitely have to use a guide to find all the bobbleheads. I mean...

Rockopolis

Who the hell is finding that place, unless you are actually looking for it?[/quote]

that was my thought exactly...i forget, is it even on the map?

I am looking forward to finally playing this game. I am getting Fallout 3 for Christmas from my wife.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Zyzomys']I am looking forward to finally playing this game. I am getting Fallout 2 for Christmas from my wife.[/QUOTE]

You can still buy that? Where?

So this game just crossed over into the "epic can not stop," standing. Non plot spoilers but just to be safe.
I was standing somewhere in the middle of no where at night when I heard a huge explosion and saw some really bright lights. I looked up and seen some type of ship flying around on fire and looking like it was going to crash off in the distanced.

I chased after it for like 30 minutes trying to figure out where the hell it went but finally gave up after a while.

Now 40 hours later I am hunting for bobble heads (last thing I need before I beat the game) and I am over by the greener pastures when I pick up some type of radio signal. After about 10 min of following it I found a crashed alien space ship with some type of 1 hit kill gun.

That is straight bad ass on there part.

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']that was my thought exactly...i forget, is it even on the map?[/quote]

Nope. So, yeah, even if you walk right past it, you won't know, unless you're looking for it.

[quote name='Soodmeg']So this game just crossed over into the "epic can not stop," standing. Non plot spoilers but just to be safe.
I was standing somewhere in the middle of no where at night when I heard a huge explosion and saw some really bright lights. I looked up and seen some type of ship flying around on fire and looking like it was going to crash off in the distanced.

I chased after it for like 30 minutes trying to figure out where the hell it went but finally gave up after a while.

Now 40 hours later I am hunting for bobble heads (last thing I need before I beat the game) and I am over by the greener pastures when I pick up some type of radio signal. After about 10 min of following it I found a crashed alien space ship with some type of 1 hit kill gun.

That is straight bad ass on there part.
[/quote]
The funny thing is that those are two seperate events. The one you found is always there and the one you saw is a random event that I couldn't find either. They both give out similiar weapons though.
Still digging this game immensely. My GOTY by far and with the excellent sounding dlc coming I am going to be playing this well into 09. Right now I'm on my fourth character and I'm getting all of the unique weapons and armor right now and collecting bobbleheads. There's one in deathclaw sanctuary that I am not too excited about going to retrieve.

The armor you see the BoS members wearing in Fallout 3 is suppose to be an older version of power armor that pre-dates the T-51b, which was the most advanced version of power armor developed before The Great War (the Enclave has since improved upon it). The T-51b is what you find at Fort Constantine. So, it would appear to be quite rare in the area.

Get the dart gun as early as you can. The easiest way to get one of the schematics is probably from Tenpenny Tower. After you've created one for yourself, all you have to do is shoot the Deathclaw in the leg. That will automatically cripple it, making it far, far easier to deal with. Then, just quick change to your weapon or choice and take it out.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Get the dart gun as early as you can. The easiest way to get one of the schematics is probably from Tenpenny Tower. After you've created one for yourself, all you have to do is shoot the Deathclaw in the leg. That will automatically cripple it, making it far, far easier to deal with. Then, just quick change to your weapon or choice and take it out.[/quote]

I have the schematics..I've just never really bothered with making weapons. I will def make the dart gun the next chance I get. Thanks for the help.

Yeah, I had the schematic for quite some time, as well, before I decided to use it. I had a ton of darts, and I was like, "Might as well use them." Was pleasantly surprised when I realized what it actually did.

Wow I didn't realize that darts were actually ammo for a dart gun until reading the last few posts, I just always picked them up and sold them because they didn't weigh anything.

Another thing that is bothering the shit out of me is that I am currently a level 20 but they are showing 21 and I stopped getting XP after I hit 20. So 21 is just chilling there laughing at me. If I would have used the extra level now perk at 20, would I be a 21 right now? I fucking bet I would.

bread's done
Back