Fallout for PC (on COG) for free until April 6!

CrossFireXT17

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Free game is Fallout 1
Link: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/fallout/
Offer is good till ~1:55 PM EDT April 7

CD Projekt Red will give away a "legendary" PC RPG for free on GOG.com this Thursday, 5th April, Eurogamer can reveal.

The giveaway coincides with CD Projekt's Spring Conference, which is being streamed live at 5pm GMT (presumably 6pm BST).

Note that giveaway has nothing to do with the "extraordinary" conference announcement CD Projekt has been teasing.

CD Projekt Red head of marketing Michal Platkow-Gilewski explained to Eurogamer: "No, there will be no announcement of a new game.

"But to give you some hints and not to spoil the surprise, CD Projekt RED and GOG.com have prepared something very special for all the PC fans of The Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings, who already have the game, as well as for all those who will buy one any time in the future.

"It is something really unique," he added.

"More to come on the conference."
Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-legendary-pc-rpg-free-on-gog-com-on-thursday

Although the deal is not live yet, wanted to post as a heads up in case you don't check the site daily ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='yantelope']Me too.[/QUOTE]

Me three.

Edit:

I have an unopened copy of Fallout Classic Collection but the digital freebie (of the first one) gives me an excuse to keep it in the plastic longer collecting dust, lol.

Damn, as soon as they announced it GOG basically crashed.

EDIT: got it - I'll just wait to download it until the site traffic dies down.

Always glad to get a free game. just wish it was one i did not have three copy of on cd already.
Anyone know if the GOG version has any of the unofficial patches in it already.

Funny to see the idiots run here and whine before the announcement actually happened.

Just shut your mouths and let the adults handle things.

GOG versions of games are tweaked/patched to work on modern versions of Windows. (which makes Fallout a great intro as it's problematic to say the least)

Already owned Fallout on GOG.com, still gotta love them though :) Too bad they didn't give The Witcher 2 away free for people that haven't bought it yet :p haha. I still need to play the first witcher I bought off GOG a while back...

[quote name='mokmoof']Any word on whether folks who already own Fallout 1 on GOG will get anything? (Not complaining, just asking).[/QUOTE]

We get the satisfaction that we helped GOG become what it is today. I'm so optimistic about the future of the games industry right now with the presence of GOG.com and the recent Kickstarter wave of indie games being funded. Watching so many studios get shut down by big publishers and the proliferation of DLC besieging my favorite franchise (Mass Effect), this Sundance/IFC type of game development shows that expensive voice casting and ballooning budgets are not the only way of doing things.

A "backup" digital copy of Witcher 2 is practically useless. Amazon and Steam both offer infinite downloads.

Also, Witcher 2's UI made Oblivion's and Skyrim's look great. This is their third big overhaul patch and the second time they're "massively" overhauling combat. I keep hopes low generally but maybe they will get those right this time. Not safe to bet they will simply by measure of past performance. I will be happy to take another swing at it if the game becomes less of a chore

Quick question if you guys already have witcher 2 and get a back up does that mean someone could let me download it for free? Sorry it this is a dumb question but im new to pc gaming.

[quote name='XDAO_ROMANS']Quick question if you guys already have witcher 2 and get a back up does that mean someone could let me download it for free? Sorry it this is a dumb question but im new to pc gaming.[/QUOTE]

They could but that's pirating

[quote name='RollingSkull']Also, Witcher 2's UI made Oblivion's and Skyrim's look great. This is their third big overhaul patch and the second time they're "massively" overhauling combat. I keep hopes low generally but maybe they will get those right this time. Not safe to bet they will simply by measure of past performance. I will be happy to take another swing at it if the game becomes less of a chore[/QUOTE]

They seem to make more of an effort at it than the average game company, who would have washed their hands of it and used any improvements for a new game. Maybe by the time I get to it they will have it dialed in. (I still have the original Witcher on my Steam account unplayed as of yet.)

As for Fallout, this will make my 3rd copy of the game. I have it on CD still, and I bought the Steam collection a couple of weeks ago.

I have an ancient CD of Fallout someplace. Now I don't need to find it and fight to make it run on my Win7 rig or Vista laptop. Nice.

I never got into it when I tried to play before. I stepped out of the Vault and got killed by a rat. Gave up then. Fallout 3 was much more survivable.

Meh, I already own Fallout 1 from GOG and I bought The Witcher 2 from them also. I would rather have a free backup copy of it on Steam. :p

[quote name='RollingSkull']Also, Witcher 2's UI made Oblivion's and Skyrim's look great.[/QUOTE]

I love the game but I have to agree with this. The UI is by far my least favorite part of the game. Thankfully I generally didn't have to spend too much time in it.

As for the updates, well part of it is they promised to make sure the PC version gets anything additional the XBox version gets so there's that, but in general they do actually take the time to listen to feedback and go back and try and refine their game, which I appreciate.

Thanks for whoever edited the wiki today when the news came out! I made it into a wiki post this morning because I knew I was going to be out when the news came... changed the title now too.

Already have Fallout on COG, but good for other people who don't have it!

This is a great deal for me. I had bought the Fallout Classic Collection from Wal-mart at retail as a rare impulse buy. Couldn't get it to run properly on any computer, so I got together with my great uncle (72 year old man who loves building computers) and we put together a computer with the "optimal" settings. For some f-tarded reason, they put the games on a DVD rom. Such old games should really go on a CD rom when they're virtually unplayable on XP and up (I can't tell you how many tweaks I made to PCs running XP, Vista, and Win 7 I tried, trying to get the game to work without any problems).

If this runs properly on my laptop, I'll just sell my Classic Collection and get Fallout 2 from GOG sometime when they have a deal on it, although $6 isn't bad imo.

Awesome! I'm glad I didn't buy that Fallout collection now. The thought of uber tweaking to make things work did not interest me even though the thing was cheap.

[quote name='RollingSkull']A "backup" digital copy of Witcher 2 is practically useless. Amazon and Steam both offer infinite downloads.[/QUOTE]

Depends on where/how you bought it - I bought the disk version of the game last year at a time when it was the best deal around, so this definitely isn't useless to me.

[quote name='kjs7']for witcher 2, how will you get the backup? I'm presuming you put your CD key into GOG?[/QUOTE]
I think that's what they said during the event.

[quote name='jrhawk42']Was kinda hoping for a game I didn't already own on gog. Hope they do something for the people that already owned it.[/QUOTE]

Shut the fuck up they owe you nothing.

[quote name='Distrato']Shut the fuck up they owe you nothing.[/QUOTE]

LOL. People complaining about free stuff. Gaming crowd has some entitlement issues.

[quote name='inm8num2']LOL. People complaining about free stuff. Gaming crowd has some entitlement issues.[/QUOTE]

Shut the fuck up and stop using the new buzzword of the month.

[quote name='Distrato']Shut the fuck up and stop using the new buzzword of the month.[/QUOTE]

Gaming community entitlement has long been in place before one month ago.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']Don't really care either way, but I tried GOG.com back in Sept because of this:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304721

Now Broken Sword isn't in my library anymore mysteriously, it was in there before (like fallout is now) but now it's just "gone".

I don't trust this site for free games, let alone paying for a game that can be taken from library at will.[/QUOTE]

Sucks to hear about that. I bet if you contacted them, they would fix that immediately. I've found that these guys have great customer support.

And if its an older game, I'll always go there before Steam because their versions will be optimized to run on newer PCs, are usually cheaper than Steam's non-sale prices and are DRM-free.

Yeah, I've never had an issue with any of my games, free or not, dissapearing from my game wall. You sure you logged in with the correct account? Either way, I'd email them and I'm sure they'll sort it out.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']Don't really care either way, but I tried GOG.com back in Sept because of this:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304721

Now Broken Sword isn't in my library anymore mysteriously, it was in there before (like fallout is now) but now it's just "gone".

I don't trust this site for free games, let alone paying for a game that can be taken from library at will.[/QUOTE]

Is it maybe hidden? There is an option now to hide games on you wall

Free Fallout and a Backup Copy of Witcher II. This is pretty awesome.

Although still trying to figure out why I need a backup copy of Witcher II :lol: (I own the disc version). Not complaining but just wondering, but hey it's always good.

Thanks so much.I am a huge Fallout 3/New Vegas Xbox 360 fan and I was always curious about the original pc game but never played it.

[quote name='mikepeluso']Thanks so much.I am a huge Fallout 3/New Vegas Xbox 360 fan and I was always curious about the original pc game but never played it.[/QUOTE]

A word of warning. While Fallout isn't all that difficult for the most part, it has parts that can be very unforgiving. That said, this is not a game with autosave and there are more than a few"gotcha" moments, where if you are not expecting a fight you will likely be reloading your last save.

Expect some frustration with any AI companions if you ask them to join you. They have a real knack of blocking your path, and god forbid you get into a fight near any friendly NPC because they tend to hit the wrong target when a lot of enemies are around.

Great game, but save often, really often.

Does anyone know how to get that Witcher 2 backup thing working? I own the Steam version but I'm not seeing it in my GOG library.

bread's done
Back