Fallout: New Vegas - Gen. Discussion & Info ...Out NOW!

http://www.facebook.com/fallout/posts/128889750504399

"We’ve wrapped up work on the Fallout: New Vegas patch and submitted it. Will let you know when it’s up on PS3, 360, and Steam."

And now we wait on Microsoft and Sony to hold-up the patch release with their testing. (the same testing which allowed New Vegas and countless other games to release as broken mind you)

Patch 1.02 is now live for PS3 in both NA and EU.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1123617-game-updates/page__view__findpost__p__16776058

"PlayStation users in North America and European territories can now grab the latest game update for Fallout: New Vegas. When connected online, you'll be prompted to download update 1.02 (please note: you can confirm it's been installed by going to the Title Screen>Settings>Display. In the lower left corner you should see Version 1.2.0.310 in the lower left-hand corner.)

Top fixes:

- Companions now show up as waypoints on the map
- Companions will always fast travel with you, unless told to wait or sent away
- Fix: DLC error/save corruption
- Fix: Entering the strip after Debt Collector causes crash and autosave corruption
- Fix: Using Mojave Express dropbox can cause DLC warnings
- Crafting menu now filters valid (bright) recipes to the top of the list
- Weathered pistol no longer glitches when applying mods

In addition, this patch addresses issues with the following areas:

- Pip-Boy Interface
- Repair Menu
- Caravan
- Weapons and Weapon Mods
- Hardcore Mode
- Perks
- Skills
- Crafting Recipes
- Crafting Menu
- Mojave Express
- Chems/Addiction
- Doctors
- Vendors
- PreOrder DLC Items
- Reputation System
- Radio Stations
- Companion fixes
- Companion Quests

And fixes for the following quests:

- Ain’t That a Kick in the Head
- By a Campfire on The Trail
- They Went That-a-Way
- My Kind of Town
- Boulder City Showdown
- Ring a Ding Ding!
- King’s Gambit
- For The Republic, Part 2
- Render Unto Caesar
- Et Tumor, Brute?
- The House Always Wins
- Wild Card
- Beyond the Beef
- GI Blues
- How Little We Know
- Oh My Papa
- Still In The Dark
- You’ll Know It When It Happens
- Arizona Killer
- Eureka!
- Veni, Vidi, Vici
- All or Nothing
- No Gods, No Masters
- Birds of a Feather
- I Put A Spell On you
- Come Fly With Me
- That Lucky Old Sun
- Don’t Make a Beggar of Me
- The White Wash
- Ghost Town Gunfight
- Restoring Hope
- Bleed Me Dry
- Aba Daba Honeymoon
- Tend To Your Business
- Wang Dang Atomic Tango
- Flags of Our Foul-Ups
- Debt Collector
- Talent Pool
- Left My Heart
- Someone To Watch Over Me
- Hard Luck Blues

If you're running into issues still, try rolling back to a previous save before issues started setting in"

This here cowpoke is finding that despite this comprehensive patch the PS3 version still stutters, freezes, and crashes.

Last edited by a moderator:
i downloaded it sunday or monday, and i have still been getting freeze issues. i wonder if that stuff will ever be addressed.

The freezes still exist and I doubt that they can ever be truly patched out due to the Gamebryo engine and how Bethesda/Obsidian uses it for their games. (Havok to some extent as well)

The major problem is memory and as there are so many objects and NPCs and so forth to keep track of on both an engine level and a physics level it begins to bog down the game. That's why with each of their releases on console we see things get progressively worse as we play and effectively alter the world.

The PC gets a break there because it's common for people to have 2/4/8 GBs worth of RAM where the console have a relatively tiny amount in comparison.

Hello

im new to fallout new vegas. is this a regular rpg???? i mean i always thought rpg's were like you are given a set of options and then choose one and the action is kinda passive. this game has real time shooting, on top of the regular rpg elements.

my question is: what are you supposed to actually do?

im very confused. i completed the first mission in killing the powder keggers, but now im lost. can someone please explain HOW to play this game, because im frustrated in not knowing how to proceed.

also moving around the landscape takes quite a long time. idk, maybe i just dont get rpg's...any help would be appreciated

Walk around speaking to people. They will often times give you quests. Also free roam around the world to find new locations. Once a location is found you can fast travel to it through your pipboy. To do so go to the pipboy by pressing circle go over to the third page by hitting I think R1 a coupl times. Then go to the tab world map and click on any location you have been to. This limits the long walks from town to town. Essentially you choose what you want to do. I personally am helping the NCR against the Legion. But you can choose either side or even try to walk the line. Hope this helps. I will check back to see if you have any more questions.

thanks everyone. i guess i didnt realize the level of detail involved in an rpg. its not as fun as i thought it would be. not for me.oh well...

I searched for an old thread and didn't come across one, but I was thinking of picking up NV on PS3, the only system I own. I know there were a lot of bugs/problems back at release, but have those generally been fixed at this time? I googled this topic, but most of the posts were back in November/December of last year. Thanks in advance to anyone who has feedback.

the game will freeze on you at every moment it can get. opening a door? walking near a flame? initiating combat? walking? standing still? there's danger everywhere. so make sure you have auto save ON for on travel, on wait, on sleep. AND that you save on your own in a different slot just in case.

i had it since release and it actually froze less for me before that latest patch they updated. once i hit 100% trophies i got rid of it, too buggy.

I finished the game about a month ago, and I had a very good time. The game wasn't too buggy for me, it would freeze, forcing me to reset once every few days or so. I learned to reduce the freezes by STOPPING whatever I was doing on the dualshock whenever the game stuttered. Could be worthless, but it did seem to help me.

It's really unacceptable that the game has bugs like it does, but I still feel it is worth playing.

[quote name='pLaYeRiTo']the game will freeze on you at every moment it can get. opening a door? walking near a flame? initiating combat? walking? standing still? there's danger everywhere. so make sure you have auto save ON for on travel, on wait, on sleep. AND that you save on your own in a different slot just in case.[/QUOTE]

This. I'm 40+ hours in and I would say it freezes at least once every 2 on average but have had 4 in a few hours each one prompting me to turn it off for a while then going back hoping it will be smoother.

I just turned on my PS3 this morning and PS Plus informed me that it downloaded a patch for Fallout NV. Hmm. I wonder what's in the patch?

Thanks for the replies. I'm knee-deep in Mass Effect 2 right now, and it's given me the western RPG bug again, and I was hoping that most of the issues with New Vegas were rectified by now. I put over 100 hours into Fallout 3 back in 2008 and didn't have any issues at all, so I was disappointed and apprehensive about NV when I read all the negative stuff last holiday.

you wont regret mass effect 2. i went out and got part 1 for pc from how much i loved mass effect 2. anyways, dont bother with new vegas, the freezes are terrible and the story is stale, fallout 3 was definitely better. i hate admitting to new vegas being bad though, cuz i love the fallout series

the dlc released for it so far (dead money) is just as buggy and has you doing the one thing that is a no-no in this game: jumping around like a platform game. tsk tsk

And this is brought to you by the same company that made Alpha Protocol, which is said to also be horribly buggy. Not a company I want to support with my money. I dont care how much fun a game can be, if it has crashing and freezing and other random glitch problems, I cant be bothered. Plenty of other really good games out there that developers actually tested and put effort into making.

I started playing FO:NV in January-February 2011 timeframe, hoping that the bugs were worked out by then. I completed the game. It started not being so bad - an occassional freeze maybe every few sessions, but then it seemed to get worse for me the longer I played. Or maybe I just got fed up with it. It seemed to freeze at least once a gaming session. I thought maybe jumping was bad, so I tried to limit that. I also thought that when moving to an area and the game is loading, I would wait for a bit once the gameplay started again to let it finish its load. Save often. If it shutters/lags/slow down - stop and hope it it comes back.

[quote name='wrencrest']And this is brought to you by the same company that made Alpha Protocol, which is said to also be horribly buggy.[/QUOTE]

I played ~100 hours of Alpha Protocol with three playthroughs, and did not encounter a single freeze, glitch, or bug.

If New Vegas runs with that level of performance, methinks the issues with New Vegas are horribly overstated.

Bethesda nerfed Fallout 3 GOTY hardcore, I'm guessing issues are with the engine, not Obsidian (even if their track record isn't what we could call perfect).

Yeah, it's the engine. See Fallout 3. Some people had huge issues, others had very few. I had few issues. The engine is the worst though. So glad it is going away in Skyrim.

It's weird because I played Fallout 3 (regular version but late in its life) and did not have nearly the number of freezes I have with New Vegas. So I thought that NV would settle down like Fallout 3 did after patches but that was not the case.

I've only had it freeze once in maybe 20 hours played so far but be warned the game is not a whole lot different then Fallout 3. Of course, New Vegas runs pretty cheaply these days so...

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I've only had it freeze once in maybe 20 hours played so far but be warned the game is not a whole lot different then Fallout 3. Of course, New Vegas runs pretty cheaply these days so...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I just picked up a new copy of NV for $20 last week. I don't plan on playing it right away though as Fallout 3 took a long time for me to play through.

I was really disappointed with the game. The bugs were just killing it, and to top it off, the story and decisions you are presented with are really stale and frustrating. Had high hopes, but it didn't pay off.

I played this for about 17 hours but then gave up and sold it. I didn't have it crash much at all, but I just couldn't get into the story. I loved Fallout 3 but NV just seems boring in comparison.

[quote name='dbmottle']I played this for about 17 hours but then gave up and sold it. I didn't have it crash much at all, but I just couldn't get into the story. I loved Fallout 3 but NV just seems boring in comparison.[/QUOTE]
I feel the same way, although I had it crash on me about every 3 hours played give or take. It just wasn't nearly as interesting or enjoyable as Fallout 3. It also seemed like I got to the point of being close to finishing the main storyline really quickly. With Fallout 3 it took a lot longer to get near the end, maybe the side missions were more interesting, who knows. I keep meaning to get back into it and finish it one of these days, but the desire just isn't there.

The side quest in Fallout 3 seem to have better writing and are just more interesting in general. In New Vegas it feels for the most part like generic open world game quest. I wasn't that pleased with the game when it came out but after having Cass in party it grew on me. She's pretty hilarious.

Should I get the Dead Money DLC? I know it's not all that great, but at least for the trophies...or something?

Has anyone tried this since the new patch came out? I read that it could still be downloaded even though PSN is down. I really want to pick this up for $20, but those bugs everyone complains about keep holding me back...

[quote name='coolz481']Has anyone tried this since the new patch came out? I read that it could still be downloaded even though PSN is down. I really want to pick this up for $20, but those bugs everyone complains about keep holding me back...[/QUOTE]

Just finished a 60 hour playthrough and other than being tired of playing it, I thought it was worth the $20 I spent on it, I don't know how well the patches fix things, but I don't remember a lock up after I got the latest patch released here in the last week or two. (and yes patches are still available to be gotten without PSN, I got it after the PSN shutdown)

And for those saying it feels more open world, probably because it feels more like Fallout 1 (developed by some of the same staff that did New Vegas) letting you do what you want. The only thing I didn't care for was the faction likability and how even though Karma only impacts a few things, how you can't steal anything without getting negative Karma for it (even in an empty deserted house that no one has lived in for years, I mean seriously....)

Otherwise, if you liked 3 there is something to like here too, just know it's more like Fallout 3-lite.

On the upside someone mentioned Cassidy as their traveling partner, I took Veronica and enjoyed her accompanying me, the only drawback to that was not getting as many perks as I should have had (since she killed many enemies before I could react), still I found it hard to dump her off (I eventually went back and got her for the endgame fight, even though she was unconscious for most of it, :lol:)

I just went back to this last weekend - didn't even know there was a new patch until it downloaded, but it does seem to run smoother than it used to.

So going back to this after taking a break and getting every ending except the NCR ending. I have got to say that the best ending so far has got to be the Legion ending. You actually feel like you matter, instead of just bringing the robot army to thwart the armies.

Edit- Oh man, I just got the ending where you side with Elijah, man what they do is kinda messed up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been playing this the last week. I really liked Fallout 3, and this stomps FO3. Obsidian should handle the series full-time, and Bethesda proper should focus on The Elder Scrolls.

[quote name='Velo214']so after all the patches is fo3 goty and fo nv ultimate finally playable?[/QUOTE]

It's been playable for quite a while.

bread's done
Back