Fallout: New Vegas - Gen. Discussion & Info

Okay, I need help. I'm starting Helios One, and I have no idea what to do. Can you activate Archimedes later if you send power somewhere, or is that the only chance you get? How much will the NCR hate me if I activate Archimedes? Is it worth it? Can someone help me out with this? Thanks!

The wiki will tell you the results of each decision.. also in the patch details page it looks like almost every mission is fixed haha.

[quote name='TC']Thanks for the update. Looks like next week I can finally start this game for real.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm bummed because I caved and started my first play through last week (been sitting on my copy since BF). Of course I got hooked and have put about 14 hours in. As far as I can tell, none of the quests I've done have glitched on me, and the only bug that really bothered me was when I crashed on a load screen and was set back a while.

Patches and bugs aside, I'm very happy with what Bethesda's done with NV :applause:

[quote name='Mr Dude65']Okay, I need help. I'm starting Helios One, and I have no idea what to do. Can you activate Archimedes later if you send power somewhere, or is that the only chance you get? How much will the NCR hate me if I activate Archimedes? Is it worth it? Can someone help me out with this? Thanks![/QUOTE]

Read the wiki as phrostbyte suggested. You get one chance.

I personally
activated Archimedes and killed the NCR troops, which put me on their shit list for a few days. It wasn't worth it.

[quote name='irratebass']I haven't ran into a DEATHCLAW yet, I keep hearing horror stories about them and how tough they are, any tips?[/QUOTE]

Get a sniper rifle. Better, get the Gobi Rifle and have some armor piercing bullets with it.
I killed most of the claws very easy with it.

[quote name='bsmiff']Bethesda just released an update about the patch. Seems the PS3 patch is live but us 360 users will have to wait until next week: http://bethblog.com/index.php/2010/...tation-3-will-be-on-xbox-360-steam-next-week/[/QUOTE]

Its nice that they release a patch, when i am done playing with it.
I comfort myself into that i only paid 10$ for the game. But i can not understand why they release such a broken game.
I had on my xbox at least 10 freezes, some horrible glitches where i was unable to reach a room.
Was this even beta tested?
Anyway, glad there is a patch.

Some of the bugs really piss me off.. I couldn't change the leader of that one group... and then I couldn't get the special armor from the doctor's family. :(

[quote name='yester']Its nice that they release a patch, when i am done playing with it.
I comfort myself into that i only paid 10$ for the game. But i can not understand why they release such a broken game.
I had on my xbox at least 10 freezes, some horrible glitches where i was unable to reach a room.
Was this even beta tested?
Anyway, glad there is a patch.[/QUOTE]

In Obsidian and Bethesda's defense, the game is huge, contains a lot of content, and hasn't even been out for two months. It's not that these games aren't tested. Just sometimes, game devs are too ambitious for their own good and end up short on testing time before the game's release deadline hits.

Think of it this way. Two months isn't very long for a comprehensive patch on a game of this magnitude, and this post-release testing phase has allowed the entire Fallout community to chime in on what needed to be fixed. Why not give NV another play through, this time bug-free?

But Obsidian already had all the tools they needed to make this.. all they needed to do was update textures... make new stories... blah blah blah...

everything else had already been created for them. And this game was much buggier than the original.

[quote name='Mr Dude65']Okay, I need help. I'm starting Helios One, and I have no idea what to do. Can you activate Archimedes later if you send power somewhere, or is that the only chance you get? How much will the NCR hate me if I activate Archimedes? Is it worth it? Can someone help me out with this? Thanks![/QUOTE]

I just did this and I just restored the power...so I cant tell ya the outcome of the other....sorry.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Read the wiki as phrostbyte suggested. You get one chance.

I personally
activated Archimedes and killed the NCR troops, which put me on their shit list for a few days. It wasn't worth it.
[/QUOTE]
Regarding Archimedes, you can activate it without arming the defense grid, thus sparing the NCR troops. Later on you can find a controller to use it for yourself.

About 35 hours in and I hit my first major glitch. I really thought I was going to get lucky. Every time I try to scope in with my sniper rifle or Marksman Carbine it shows a computer monitor. The glitch affects all of my previous saves also, so no going back. Considering that I built my character up as a sniper, this is going to seriously screw up the rest of the game for me.

Apparently, I'm not the only one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhGJWX3ovPI

It amazes me how people forget how buggy the original was. I have played through the original on PS3 (200+ hours, all dlc) and there were times where I couldn't even load the game. Several times the framerates would drop so badly that the game was unplayable. These (and many other) glitches somehow get forgotten because people think FONV was "so much worse." That's BS. Yes, FONV has some glitches, but given the scope of the game, that's to be expected. When you have a publisher breathing down your neck, telling you that you MUST ship this game by this date, there is little you can do when there simply isn't enough time.

I'm not defending Obsidian in the slightest as I got caught up in many of these glitches myself, however I was easily able to put 100 hours into the game and do a majority of what is out there. Did it glitch? hell yes, but that's no reason for me to immediately discount what's there that is good. People expecting a completely bug free release are naive to how the game development industry works. It often times has little to nothing to do with game devs being too "ambitious" and everything to do with someone higher up pulling the strings.

I hate that they might not have fixed Wheel of Fortune, I hate starting a quest and not being able to finish it. Made me put aside the whole game.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mtxbass1']It amazes me how people forget how buggy the original was. I have played through the original on PS3 (200+ hours, all dlc) and there were times where I couldn't even load the game.[/QUOTE]

From what I read (never played the PS3 version), the 360 version was a lot more stable. I know I didn't run into as many issues in Fallout 3 as I have in New Vegas. That being said, as I mentioned a few times in this thread, I do think people have blown it a bit out of proportion.

[quote name='mtxbass1']It amazes me how people forget how buggy the original was. I have played through the original on PS3 (200+ hours, all dlc) and there were times where I couldn't even load the game. Several times the framerates would drop so badly that the game was unplayable. These (and many other) glitches somehow get forgotten because people think FONV was "so much worse." That's BS. Yes, FONV has some glitches, but given the scope of the game, that's to be expected. When you have a publisher breathing down your neck, telling you that you MUST ship this game by this date, there is little you can do when there simply isn't enough time.

I'm not defending Obsidian in the slightest as I got caught up in many of these glitches myself, however I was easily able to put 100 hours into the game and do a majority of what is out there. Did it glitch? hell yes, but that's no reason for me to immediately discount what's there that is good. People expecting a completely bug free release are naive to how the game development industry works. It often times has little to nothing to do with game devs being too "ambitious" and everything to do with someone higher up pulling the strings.[/QUOTE]

I think the game would have benefited from a delay. Clearly, the same engine is used and so the same bugs are carried over.
Of course there quest related issues, but i haven't seen any really problem.
I played over 100 hours in to this game and i can tell, that i can live with arm/aim problem, but if i can not reach a room because you character gets sucked into textures, thats just enraging.
I am not sure who to blame, but there are major bugs in the game. On the xbox it feels like i am playing it on the pc with these frequent freezes.
Mind you, that i don't complain about anything else, but a game should work. Especially if you pay $60 Dollars.
Beside all the criticism i have on the technical side, i enjoyed every minute i played. The game is one of the best games i played in a long time. Perhaps those freezes are meant to be to stop playing. :)

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']From what I read (never played the PS3 version), the 360 version was a lot more stable. I know I didn't run into as many issues in Fallout 3 as I have in New Vegas. That being said, as I mentioned a few times in this thread, I do think people have blown it a bit out of proportion.[/QUOTE]

I never had any problems with the 360 version of FO3. There was only one spot in the Pitt where you could fall through the roof and die. Other than that, it never glitched on me.

The Sniper Rifle/monitor glitch also prevents me from being able to lockpick or hack terminals, and to top it all off I just lost my followers. Rex and Boone disappeared, and I have no idea where they went. I think I'm going to shelf this game until the patch comes out. I've got RDR and ME2 calling out to me.

[quote name='aheineken']I never had any problems with the 360 version of FO3. There was only one spot in the Pitt where you could fall through the roof and die. Other than that, it never glitched on me.

The Sniper Rifle/monitor glitch also prevents me from being able to lockpick or hack terminals, and to top it all off I just lost my followers. Rex and Boone disappeared, and I have no idea where they went. I think I'm going to shelf this game until the patch comes out. I've got RDR and ME2 calling out to me.[/QUOTE]

There are two options.

a) they are still there but not visible
b) you let them go and fast travel. They will not fast travel and instead walk normal to their location.

Also i noticed that the get stuck sometimes and don't pop up with you once you go to a new area.

I had that on some occasion and had to reload.

[quote name='aheineken']I never had any problems with the 360 version of FO3. There was only one spot in the Pitt where you could fall through the roof and die. Other than that, it never glitched on me.[/QUOTE]

Well, you were very lucky, then. I had a number of glitches that forced me to reload earlier saves in Fallout 3.

It's probably cuz you had the PS3 version... I had the Xbox versions of both FO3 and FONV and had a lot more problems with New Vegas.

What really baffles me is some of the really obvious bugs in the game.. for example there's a train tunnel near Nellis AFB where you can't even open the door cuz you fall through into the Netherrealm. This happens in every copy and I'm sure Obsidian was aware of it.

Sorry, but I don't know how to put in those Spoiler things in posts, so I hope I don't upset anyone:

I ran into a big glitch and now I am at a complete stand still, I got into the strip and

*Spoiler*

I killed Mcaffrey, then went back to the Atomic Wrangler and turned in the quest

*End Spoiler*

I tried to go back into the strip and as I was leaving the Wrangler my screen went black, I didn't have the load screen nothing, I couldn't even get to my Xbox dashboard, so I turned the console off, tried to load and it said "the data has been corrupted" and it will NOT load.

Am I screwed? Should I wait for the patch and no I do not have another save that I can go to, I just deleted it before I got there, I thought I was ok........please tell there is a fix to this, or I am just going to forget it and sell it....I am pretty bummed right now, I just got to level 19 as well.

[quote name='PhrostByte']It's probably cuz you had the PS3 version... I had the Xbox versions of both FO3 and FONV and had a lot more problems with New Vegas.[/QUOTE]

Nope. As I said earlier when someone mentioned they had the PS3 version of Fallout 3 and had a lot of issues, I had the 360 version, and I still ran into problems. Not nearly as many as some people have ran into with New Vegas, but still, glitches and bugs happen in games this large.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Nope. As I said earlier when someone mentioned they had the PS3 version of Fallout 3 and had a lot of issues, I had the 360 version, and I still ran into problems. Not nearly as many as some people have ran into with New Vegas, but still, glitches and bugs happen in games this large.[/QUOTE]

Your name cracks me up, my brothers' name is Bruce and he goes by Big Daddy as well, but he he not a gamer and he's only 36 or 37.

[quote name='PhrostByte']It's probably cuz you had the PS3 version... I had the Xbox versions of both FO3 and FONV and had a lot more problems with New Vegas.

What really baffles me is some of the really obvious bugs in the game.. for example there's a train tunnel near Nellis AFB where you can't even open the door cuz you fall through into the Netherrealm. This happens in every copy and I'm sure Obsidian was aware of it.[/QUOTE]

The 360 version had plenty of bugs. The wiki mentions them on nearly every page for both consoles...

Some of the bugs that you think are obvious aren't so obvious to devs who are trying to meet the deadline that a publisher sets. They'd rather make sure the core gameplay works than to worry about doors that don't open on some random part of the map. Is it shitty? sure, but there isn't much they can do about it until a patch comes out. Believe me, I've gotten stuck in so many rocks in the wasteland it's not even funny anymore.

[quote name='irratebass']Your name cracks me up, my brothers' name is Bruce and he goes by Big Daddy as well, but he he not a gamer and he's only 36 or 37.[/QUOTE]

Your avatar is cracking me up right now.:applause:

Looking forward to getting some progress in this game on Saturday/Sunday, provided the new patch is out by then.

[quote name='shieryda']Your avatar is cracking me up right now.:applause:

Looking forward to getting some progress in this game on Saturday/Sunday, provided the new patch is out by then.[/QUOTE]

Thank you sir.

So can anyone look at my post about 3-4 up and help me?

[quote name='irratebass']Sorry, but I don't know how to put in those Spoiler things in posts, so I hope I don't upset anyone:

I ran into a big glitch and now I am at a complete stand still, I got into the strip and

*Spoiler*

I killed Mcaffrey, then went back to the Atomic Wrangler and turned in the quest

*End Spoiler*

I tried to go back into the strip and as I was leaving the Wrangler my screen went black, I didn't have the load screen nothing, I couldn't even get to my Xbox dashboard, so I turned the console off, tried to load and it said "the data has been corrupted" and it will NOT load.

Am I screwed? Should I wait for the patch and no I do not have another save that I can go to, I just deleted it before I got there, I thought I was ok........please tell there is a fix to this, or I am just going to forget it and sell it....I am pretty bummed right now, I just got to level 19 as well.[/QUOTE]

I'd wait for a patch and see if you can reload. If not, you may be screwed. Did you make any other save games when you were playing?

[quote name='irratebass']

Am I screwed? Should I wait for the patch and no I do not have another save that I can go to, I just deleted it before I got there, I thought I was ok........please tell there is a fix to this, or I am just going to forget it and sell it....I am pretty bummed right now, I just got to level 19 as well.[/QUOTE]

It's a known issue and there is a workaround that doesn't require waiting for the patch and hoping they fixed it.

The guy you killed had a hat, you probably turned it in to complete the quest. You need that hat, or one identical to it, I picked one up somewhere so it's not a unique item.

You need to equip that exact type of hat whenever you enter the strip. This will prevent the game from crashing. I'm not sure if you need to keep it equipped while at the strip, I do just to be safe. Once I leave the strip, I go back to whatever headgear I would normally wear.

I played both FO3 and FO:NV on the 360, and in my experience, there were MANY more bugs in New Vegas. I can't remember FO3 crashing more than once or twice. My New Vegas game must have crashed at least 20 times.

I have well over 100 hours invested in each game, so plenty of experience to draw from, and I couldn't believe how buggy New Vegas was compared to FO3.

[quote name='Puffa469']It's a known issue and there is a workaround that doesn't require waiting for the patch and hoping they fixed it.

The guy you killed had a hat, you probably turned it in to complete the quest. You need that hat, or one identical to it, I picked one up somewhere so it's not a unique item.

You need to equip that exact type of hat whenever you enter the strip. This will prevent the game from crashing. I'm not sure if you need to keep it equipped while at the strip, I do just to be safe. Once I leave the strip, I go back to whatever headgear I would normally wear.[/QUOTE]

Dammit!!!! I remember reading about that in this thread....crap!!! No I have no other saves.....OH MAN!!!!!
I will wait for the patch and then see and if not fixed I am not starting over.....OH I SUCK!!!! THanks for the help guys.

[quote name='irratebass']Dammit!!!! I remember reading about that in this thread....crap!!! No I have no other saves.....OH MAN!!!!!
I will wait for the patch and then see and if not fixed I am not starting over.....OH I SUCK!!!! THanks for the help guys.[/QUOTE]

Man that sucks... sorry. =(

ALWAYS keep multiple saves in a Fallout game. I try to keep a save game right before each important plot point/point of no return. I have at least 50 save games. New Vegas lets you keep a hundred save games, take advantage of that!

[quote name='Puffa469']Man that sucks... sorry. =(

ALWAYS keep multiple saves in a Fallout game. I try to keep a save game right before each important plot point/point of no return. I have at least 50 save games. New Vegas lets you keep a hundred save games, take advantage of that![/QUOTE]

Yeah I could kick myself! I had 1 save all the way, then I got to Helios One and heard horror stories about a glitch there so I had 2 saves.....well I finished up that quest and this morning I thought all was ok and totally forgot about that hat so I deleted the other save.....man, can I just re-do today??? Grrrrr

Well this morning I thought I would try it again and it still said the save file was corrupted, so I sat there for a second and looked at my options and I seen that the LOAD option was highlighted, so i pressed the button and it asked if I wanted to be brought back to the Atomic Wrangler.....so I thought Why Not. Pressed the the button and I ended up right after I gave the cursed hat to the girl.

So I Went online to this thread and looked for when Puffa warned us about this glitch, I re read it and seen that she (or he) went to Novac to get the same kind of hat.....well I didn't want to chance that so i went to the wiki site and it said that Mickey & Ralph had the hat for sale and I could wear that into the strip. I went there and bought all 3 hats and BAM it worked....I am back in the game and I met Mr. House this morning.......LUCK man!!!!

[quote name='irratebass']Well this morning I thought I would try it again and it still said the save file was corrupted, so I sat there for a second and looked at my options and I seen that the LOAD option was highlighted, so i pressed the button and it asked if I wanted to be brought back to the Atomic Wrangler.....so I thought Why Not. Pressed the the button and I ended up right after I gave the cursed hat to the girl.

So I Went online to this thread and looked for when Puffa warned us about this glitch, I re read it and seen that she (or he) went to Novac to get the same kind of hat.....well I didn't want to chance that so i went to the wiki site and it said that Mickey & Ralph had the hat for sale and I could wear that into the strip. I went there and bought all 3 hats and BAM it worked....I am back in the game and I met Mr. House this morning.......LUCK man!!!![/QUOTE]

Awesome! I'm glad you didn't have to restart from the beginning. Just make sure to keep that old cowboy hat in your inventory at all times and put it on when you visit the strip.

And make a few extra game saves! lol

[quote name='Puffa469']Awesome! I'm glad you didn't have to restart from the beginning. Just make sure to keep that old cowboy hat in your inventory at all times and put it on when you visit the strip.

And make a few extra game saves! lol[/QUOTE]

I have 2 saves now and I am NOT taking that dang hat off LOL.

Yeah I was relieved that I didn't have to start offer.

How can anyone play an RPG and only have a single save file? I have dozens upon dozens because you never know when you might want to respec or investigate another quest avenue.

[quote name='CaptainKirk']strange how Dead Money comes out in a week, yet we have no achievement list for the DLC yet[/QUOTE]

They likely don't want to give away the details of the story yet. Info on Dead Money has been pretty sparse up to this point.

I'm just happy they are upping the level cap to 35. That'll give me more reason to explore the wasteland. Right now, it's boring being at level 30 and getting nothing for slaughtering everything I see.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']How can anyone play an RPG and only have a single save file? I have dozens upon dozens because you never know when you might want to respec or investigate another quest avenue.[/QUOTE]

Thats just how I've always played....I explore everything the 1st time through, no need to go back. + I'm afraid of using up my hd....I only have a 150g,,,it builds up fast with rockband/guitar hero shit, gamerpics too.

Haven't been following the thread so as to avoid spoilers, so I don't know if it's been mentioned, but new patch TOMORROW!

Posted Yesterday, 12:17 PM

Latest on Xbox 360 update.

It's going through some functionality testing. It could be up as early as "late afternoon tomorrow (12/15). It should definitely be up by Thursday (12/16)

Update: We're being told its Thursday now.

That is all, carry on...

Got my update this morning, and the game froze on me when I entered this building in Ellis Air Force Base. Rex went to attack an Ant and it froze....awesome.

[quote name='irratebass']Got my update this morning, and the game froze on me when I entered this building in Ellis Air Force Base. Rex went to attack an Ant and it froze....awesome.[/QUOTE]
:lol:

I can't fucking wait to see the complaint list this time...

The update fixed my two problems. My scoped weapons work again and they put a marker on the world map to indicate were your followers are, so I was able to find them.

Question: Where are some really killer shops? I am seriously looking to buy some good stuff (armor and small guns) I've got about 7k caps. I've been to Silver Rush (lame), Mick and Ralphs (inventory doesn't seem to rotate much), NV Med Clinic, Novac's Gift Shop (probably the best so far). But I can't seem to find anything purchase-worthy. I've been rolling around with an upgraded Cowboy repeater until recently...

So damn just want to share some of mine and Boone's exploits. I pretty much created a generic do-gooder character that wanders the wasteland and upon finding Boone I really latched on to his story line and anti-Legion ways...anyways as per Mr. House's quest line we...
we went to Caesar's camp and methodically began to annihilate everyone. I was surprised how much we were kicking ass on Normal[Hardcore] and am really pleased with Boone's upgrade after his special quest. I picked up a chainsaw from one of the blacksmiths and went wicked on their slaver asses. Anyways, Caesar's tent was a different story. Ballistic fists!?! Jesus, I had no idea what they were hitting us with.

After getting wiped out a few times I raided the Weather Station, got a few fists of my own as well as plasma grenades in the bunker and went back to see Mr. Caesar. Tossed those grenades like crazy and proceeded to fist ballist every one of those fuckers. Boone survived and damn was I happy. I went to speak with him to see if he'd even have any special dialogue and low and behold he DID! Bethesda has never really been good about character development in their series (see: Oblivion, ugh) so I'm really glad Obsidian stepped up to the plate even though it's not exactly Mass Effect 2.

Anyways, if anyone can recommend some shops that I might not have found let me know. Thanks!

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Question: Where are some really killer shops? I am seriously looking to buy some good stuff (armor and small guns) I've got about 7k caps. I've been to Silver Rush (lame), Mick and Ralphs (inventory doesn't seem to rotate much), NV Med Clinic, Novac's Gift Shop (probably the best so far). But I can't seem to find anything purchase-worthy. I've been rolling around with an upgraded Cowboy repeater until recently...

So damn just want to share some of mine and Boone's exploits. I pretty much created a generic do-gooder character that wanders the wasteland and upon finding Boone I really latched on to his story line and anti-Legion ways...anyways as per Mr. House's quest line we...
we went to Caesar's camp and methodically began to annihilate everyone. I was surprised how much we were kicking ass on Normal[Hardcore] and am really pleased with Boone's upgrade after his special quest. I picked up a chainsaw from one of the blacksmiths and went wicked on their slaver asses. Anyways, Caesar's tent was a different story. Ballistic fists!?! Jesus, I had no idea what they were hitting us with.

After getting wiped out a few times I raided the Weather Station, got a few fists of my own as well as plasma grenades in the bunker and went back to see Mr. Caesar. Tossed those grenades like crazy and proceeded to fist ballist every one of those fuckers. Boone survived and damn was I happy. I went to speak with him to see if he'd even have any special dialogue and low and behold he DID! Bethesda has never really been good about character development in their series (see: Oblivion, ugh) so I'm really glad Obsidian stepped up to the plate even though it's not exactly Mass Effect 2.

Anyways, if anyone can recommend some shops that I might not have found let me know. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Gun Runners is about the only shop worth a damn, but your 7k won't get you much. I have 30k caps and I don't shop there.

Your best bet is to find unique weapons in the wasteland. There are so many out there of each type. The unique plasma weapons are great. I currently shoot with the All American, and an upgraded hunting rifle for long range. I don't really need much else unless I'm fighting Deathclaws.

bread's done
Back