Fallout New Vegas Hardcover Collector's Guide - Back To $20.99, Was $19.24 @ Amazon

I remember reading an interview with the guy who worked on the original F3 guide and he said he spent something like 900 hours just in the game putting it together..

Probably add another few hundred hours to layout, organize, and textualize that data, plus printing costs (which aren't cheap, especially for hardcover, full color, 300 page books) and $20 is pretty reasonable. Especially for a fairly niche product like this.

I can totally see using a guide online but I feel like you get what you pay for, as long as you don't pay $35-40 for these things at a gamestop.. uck.

In for one. Got both the Fallout 3 and GOTY hardcover guides. If this one is anything like those, I know I will get my moneys worth. Besides, I am sucker for Collector's Edition guides.

Thanks OP I am in for one. Fallout 3 hardcover guide was definitely worth it and provides riveting bathroom material. One of my roommates who usually stuck to CoD and Madden exclusively (u know the type, right?) bought Fallout 3 after checking out the guide when I left it in the can and now loves RPG's.

Thanks OP, I've noticed 20.99 is usually the bottom for Amazon until way further down the line when they really start to clearance them. This worked great to get me FSSS with Little King's Story.

God dammit. I literally canceled my gold box order yesterday after waiting months for it to drop. Didn't want to risk it shipping early and getting stuck with two guides since I had the regular one on order as well. Oh well, Amazon, your loss for waiting so damn long.

[quote name='Hiro0015']Thanks OP. I also had the guide at $23... Canceled and re ordered![/QUOTE]

You do know that amazon automatically lowers the price if there's a drop before the release date on any items you preorder?

[quote name='Muthafodder']Thanks, I'm opting for this guide and the standard version of the game for the price of the collector's version.[/QUOTE]

I'm debating which combo I want more since they're the same price. Hm.

As much as I don't need this I'm still unreasonably tempted. The Super Duper Hardcover Limited Collector's Fallout Game of the Three Edition Year was detailed as all shit and fairly fun to flip through even after I beat the game, and this has the same author.

Even bigger kick in the nuts since I asked for the game itself for Christmas, so I'd have the book well before I'd have the game. Could I resist temptation and avoid reading it before getting the game? Probably not. Decisions decisions.

[quote name='Mixer236']You do know that amazon automatically lowers the price if there's a drop before the release date on any items you preorder?[/QUOTE]

How does this actually work btw? I just checked my order and it looks like nothing has changed. Do you usually have to get in touch with customer service?

And I agree with everyone else about the other guide - it was well worth it. Hoping this one is too!

[quote name='scrappydoo']How does this actually work btw? I just checked my order and it looks like nothing has changed. Do you usually have to get in touch with customer service?

And I agree with everyone else about the other guide - it was well worth it. Hoping this one is too![/QUOTE]

No you don't have to contact anyone. Usually for me its a day or so before the price shows up on your order but I've never had a problem with them not giving me the lower price. Its automatic.

[quote name='MidnightRider1']put my order in yesterday and cancelled my quick pick's deal since it was slightly higher(21.99)[/QUOTE]
Bad move. If you had waited, the price would update automatically via pre-order price guarantee. I was able to work my quick picks magic last night and got it back in the gold box today for ~$20.

[quote name='BargainGamer']This is a rip off, why would anyone pay so much money for a guide?[/QUOTE]
For Fallout, it's not a guide: it's an encyclopedia.

[quote name='Jonsoncao']based on my experience of Fallout 3 guides... I will skip this one and buy the GOTY collector's guide...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, trying to decide if I wanna go this route myself. I'm pretty sure I won't get to play it till its GOTY time anyways :) Does anyone remember if the GOTY guide for Fallout 3 had a pre-release price drop as well?

[quote name='TravistyOJ']Why all the cancel and reorders? Wont Amazon automatically lower the price for you via the preorder guarantee?[/QUOTE]Their auto-adjustment mechanism doesn't work nearly as well as it should, which is why people do the cancel-and-reorder routine.

I hit them with an email, explain that it's covered under their pre-order price guarantee and that the auto adjustment system doesn't work correctly. They usually take care of it on the first email, though sometimes, it takes another one. If they don't do it after two, I just cancel and reorder.

[quote name='scrappydoo']Yeah, trying to decide if I wanna go this route myself. I'm pretty sure I won't get to play it till its GOTY time anyways :) Does anyone remember if the GOTY guide for Fallout 3 had a pre-release price drop as well?[/QUOTE]Not that I can think of, no. I checked my order of it back last year and didn't see any price adjustment credits, and it was shipped out at the $23.09 price.

I haven't finished Fallout 3 so I even can wait a year unless there's a very good deal on the GOTY edition.
By the time I'm done with the most of the games in my backlog I'm sure there will be GOTY edition released already, so I think I'll wait until the GOTY edition gets released along with the guide.

[quote name='TravistyOJ']Why all the cancel and reorders? Wont Amazon automatically lower the price for you via the preorder guarantee?[/QUOTE]
Yes but when they sold Dead Rising 2 at $47.99 it didn't update the price for everyone because it was only like that for a few hours, and when people wrote in Amazon said they couldn't find any information on a price drop. I could be wrong but I think that's what happened.

I think I want to pull the trigger on this one even though I'm not planning on picking up New Vegas for a while. Does anyone have a good $5 item to add in for FSSS?

the guide might be helpful but with a popular and massive game like fallout, the fan wiki might be even more helpful. I found the ME2 wiki more helpful than the official guide tbh. In part because it was way faster to pull up the info I needed, much faster than flipping through pages.

[quote name='helluvagood']the guide might be helpful but with a popular and massive game like fallout, the fan wiki might be even more helpful. I found the ME2 wiki more helpful than the official guide tbh. In part because it was way faster to pull up the info I needed, much faster than flipping through pages.[/QUOTE]

But could you read it while on the pooper?

[quote name='scrappydoo']Yeah, trying to decide if I wanna go this route myself. I'm pretty sure I won't get to play it till its GOTY time anyways :) Does anyone remember if the GOTY guide for Fallout 3 had a pre-release price drop as well?[/QUOTE]

I bought the Fallout 3 GOTY guide for $23.09, not a bad price

[quote name='helluvagood']the guide might be helpful but with a popular and massive game like fallout, the fan wiki might be even more helpful. I found the ME2 wiki more helpful than the official guide tbh. In part because it was way faster to pull up the info I needed, much faster than flipping through pages.[/QUOTE]Not everyone has a computer in short distance from the TV, and guides still work when your Internet connection is out.

[quote name='ninja dog']this is so damn tempting. I know i'll never use it though...and that if I do, it'll ruin the surprise of playing Fallout.[/QUOTE]

I use it to read about the quests after I do them to see if there was anything I missed so I do not spoil the game. Helped a bunch of times in Fallout 3 when I missed some important items or bobble heads.

my choice is-- $25 GC towards this guide because I'll get hooked to this game and won't play anything else for quite a while. Or $25 towards Vanquish and let it rot on my shelf while I wait to play.

Edit: screw it, ordered the guide and put the last $4 in credit to the game. $15.98 for the game + collector's guide. yay!

Just canceled and reordered New Vegas with the CE guide.

I was going to hold off until I got the $10 GC to buy it and the FO3 GOTY guide, but by then the price might go back up.

I emailed them about the pre-order price gurantee because I ordered this a month or two ago when it was 23.99 and the rep's response made no sense..

Thanks for contacting us about the recent price change on "Fallout New Vegas Collector's Edition: Prima Official Game Guide". I recognize you have a choice of retailers and appreciate that you prefer to order from us. Unfortunately, we do not have a post-order price guarantee.

I've reviewed your order and see that your items haven't shipped yet.

Under the circumstances, I'll make a one-time exception for you and will reduce the price of the item to the currently-listed price of $20.99. This is what you will be charged for the item when your order ships.

I gave it a few days to see if the pre-order price guarantee would kick in, but it didn't.

How can it be a post-order guarantee if the item hasn't released yet and hasn't shipped?

bread's done
Back