Fantasy Football "Who should I start?" thread, Version 2.0

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Fitz, Driver, and um, see who's available in free agency. Moss if you have to.

How deep is your league? Tate, Hester, and Cribbs aren't really worth much. Unless you're in a deep league, you should be able to get better guys at WR.[/QUOTE] This. Unless you get points for return yardage and/or are in a 16+ team league Hester & Cribbs shouldn't be owned. At least, not yet.

[quote name='emg28']Who should I start? It's a PPR league and I have 2 WR and a Flex spot open.

Dwayne Bowe vs Chargers
S. Smith (NYG) vs Panthers
Johnny Knox vs Lions
Deangelo Williams @ Giants[/QUOTE] Knox rides the pine.

[quote name='emg28']Who should I start? It's a PPR league and I have 2 WR and a Flex spot open.

Dwayne Bowe vs Chargers
Johnny Knox vs Lions
Deangelo Williams @ Giants[/QUOTE]

bowe, smith and williams for sure. at this point in the season knox isnt a reliable starter, certainly not over those 3.

I found myself in two more leagues this year. I think 4 was too many. But oh well.

Here's my week 1 quandry.

I'm riding on the Baltimore Ravens being big this year, but I think facing the Jets week 1 has me looking to sub out some players.

I've already benched Boldin (Revis Island) in favor of Jabar Gaffney. Now I'm thinking of benching Flacco too, even though I think he will dump off to Rice a lot. I have Kyle Orton as my backup on one team (vs the 31st ranked Pass D of the Jaguars last year) and Vince Young (vs the Raiders secondary) in the other. I'm thinking in the latter case, I might actually pick up Alex Smith from FA vs the Seahawks. Or should I let Flacco start and hope he avoids pick city?

Honestly, I'd stick with Flacco in both cases.

Moreno is banged up & Marshall is gone.

Young isn't as good a passer as Joe & has a similar problem in Asomugha. Ravens also have better WRs.

Smith is too much of an unknown & there's a good possiblity it's a Gore-fest vs Seattle.

It's Week 1, stick with the best talent.

I've got Mathews from SD, Turner from ATL, and Williams from TB. Mathews is an easy start against the Chiefs, Turner is a top back in the league, but Williams is going against the Browns and, especially being a fan of Cleveland, I know how shaky their rush defense can be, and Turner is going against the Steelers who are a much better defense. I think I'm going to go with Mathews and Turner, because Williams is too much of a gamble, I'd just like someone to agree or disagree and tell me why I should go with my head (Mathews/Turner) instead of my gut (Mathews/Williams).

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']I found myself in two more leagues this year. I think 4 was too many. But oh well.

Here's my week 1 quandry.

I'm riding on the Baltimore Ravens being big this year, but I think facing the Jets week 1 has me looking to sub out some players.

I've already benched Boldin (Revis Island) in favor of Jabar Gaffney. Now I'm thinking of benching Flacco too, even though I think he will dump off to Rice a lot. I have Kyle Orton as my backup on one team (vs the 31st ranked Pass D of the Jaguars last year) and Vince Young (vs the Raiders secondary) in the other. I'm thinking in the latter case, I might actually pick up Alex Smith from FA vs the Seahawks. Or should I let Flacco start and hope he avoids pick city?[/QUOTE] That's a tough call, but I think I'd take a chance on Orton with that sweet matchup, especially since you're going with Gaffney over Boldin.

That matchup against the Jags has me debating whether to start Gaffney, too. Right now I have Marques Colston and Hakeem Nicks starting. Even though he did squat against Minnesota in last year's NFC Championship game, Colston stays in, but Hicks is up against the #4 pass D from last year, and I don't know how confident I am with him anyway. I have a feeling my thin WR group is going to give me headaches all season.

Anybody have an opinion on Nicks vs. Gaffney?

[quote name='chimpster1313']I've got Mathews from SD, Turner from ATL, and Williams from TB. Mathews is an easy start against the Chiefs, Turner is a top back in the league, but Williams is going against the Browns and, especially being a fan of Cleveland, I know how shaky their rush defense can be, and Turner is going against the Steelers who are a much better defense. I think I'm going to go with Mathews and Turner, because Williams is too much of a gamble, I'd just like someone to agree or disagree and tell me why I should go with my head (Mathews/Turner) instead of my gut (Mathews/Williams).[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I think you have to go with Mathews/Turner. klwillis45 was answering Lord_Kefka, but his advice applies here, too.
[quote name='klwillis45'] It's Week 1, stick with the best talent.[/QUOTE]

No flex spot chimpster? I like all 3 of those guys this week.

I'm starting Cadillac in my flex spot but I agree with Danimal and would go Mathews/Turner if I had to.

The way my league is set up, we have 1 QB, 2 RB, then 4 flex spots for WR/TE, then 1 DEF and 1 K. So, unfortunately, there are no flex spots that would help. You're basically confirming the way I was thinking, though, so thanks for at least reassuring me.

1 RB out of the 4. I'm leaning towards Harrison, just wanted to see what others think:

Knowshon Moreno
Chris Wells
Jerome Harrison
Arian Foster

[quote name='FrankySox']1 RB out of the 4. I'm leaning towards Harrison, just wanted to see what others think:

Knowshon Moreno
Chris Wells
Jerome Harrison
Arian Foster[/QUOTE]
Holy crap dude!

Anyway, I'd say Harrison too. Foster would be my #2, but not #1 as I feel Schaub and his WRs will get most of the work done in that game.

[quote name='Steggy']I lied, got my two leagues confused...

Need to pick 3 WRs out of:

Larry Fitzgerald
Donald Driver,
Santana Moss
Golden Tate
Joshua Cribbs
Devin Hester[/QUOTE]

If your league does return yardage, then go:

Cribbs, Hester, and Fitz.

No return yardage, then go:

Fitz, Driver, and Moss.

[quote name='Steggy']Also having a tough time deciding on RB whether to start Pierre Thomas or Ricky Williams[/QUOTE]

Go with the PT Cruiser. Still too much uncertainty with Williams and Brown in Miami.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']I have 3 leagues so I have a few questions....

1) How do you guys feel about starting Percy Harvin?

2) I have a WR/TE flex position and have the following players available...
Chris Chambers
Jermaine Gresham
Kevin Walter
What would you recommend? The FA pool is looking pretty thin.

3)I have to start 2 of the following 5....
Hakeem Nicks
Malcom Floyd
Derrick Mason
Patrick Crayton
Roy E. Williams
Thinking Nicks and Floyd but just want some opinions.

4) Kolb or Derek Anderson? Sounds ridiculous at first, I know, but D. A. is playing St. Louis this week and Kolb goes up against Green Bay.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

1) I'd play Harvin this week since you know he'll play tomorrow.
2) Gresham. I think this kid will be great this season.
3) Nicks and Floyd. Mason as a sleeper if you think Housh won't get much playtime and Revis will be all over Boldin.
4) Kolb. Hands down. He's aleady proven he can put up numbers McNabb did in Philly. Anderson is too inconsistent.

Dwayne Bowe vs Chargers
Johnny Knox vs Lions
Deangelo Williams @ Giants[/QUOTE]

Smith-north and Bowe assuredly. Williams and Know really could go either way - it's week one and those two systems are a big question mark.

[quote name='FrankySox']1 RB out of the 4. I'm leaning towards Harrison, just wanted to see what others think:

Knowshon Moreno
Chris Wells
Jerome Harrison
Arian Foster[/QUOTE]

Foster. I like Harrison, but mark my words: Hillis will cause owners problems.

So I missed my draft and got stuck with Knox and Hestor (3rd, 4th receiver based on ratings)... I really want to start Mike Williams (seattle) but I just can't justify it this week.

Anyone got any opinions on which RB2 I should start?

Knowshon Moreno who says he is at 80% but Hamstring injurys are always iffy

Reggie Bush who you can never tell how he will do because the Saints are so versatile

Kareem Huggins who is a talented rookie but is behind Cadillac although he should get some touches

In a league where we get a point for every reception. My starters are the following:

RB - Shonn Greene
RB - Jonathan Stewart
WR - Calvin Johnson
WR - Malcolm Floyd
WR/RB - Arian Foster
WR/RB - Ahmad Bradshaw

I cant help but feel that with the league being PPR, putting a running back in both flex spots is a mistake. My bench WR's are the following:

WR - Anquan Boldin (Not really feelin' his matchup, especially with Revis being back)
WR - Pierre Garcon
WR - Dez Bryant
WR - Johnny Knox

Should I swap out one of my flex RB's with one of my Bench WR's? Should I drop one of my starting backs, move up a flex, and fill the vacant flex spot with a receiver? I'm stressin' hard over how I should set my lineup.

Drop Stewart, move up Bradshaw or Foster, and place Garcon in the flex shot. I'm feeling a shootout for the Texans/Colts game...

or atleast I hope so.

[quote name='Kilraven']Drop Stewart, move up Bradshaw or Foster, and place Garcon in the flex shot. I'm feeling a shootout for the Texans/Colts game...

or atleast I hope so.[/QUOTE] I'd probably stand pat but if I made a move that would be it. Tough call.

so I need help deciding who to start in my flex position this week, my choices are:
Fred Jackson
Donald Brown
Bernard Scott
Derrick Mason
Austin Collie
Mardy Gilyard

I'm leaning towards either Derrick Mason or Austin Collie, what do you think?

[quote name='Donkey132']so I need help deciding who to start in my flex position this week, my choices are:
Fred Jackson
Donald Brown
Bernard Scott
Derrick Mason
Austin Collie
Mardy Gilyard

I'm leaning towards either Derrick Mason or Austin Collie, what do you think?[/QUOTE]

I'd go with Mason, personally.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']I'd go with Mason, personally.[/QUOTE]
alright, that's who I was gonna go with, just wanted a second opinion.

[quote name='SEH']In a league where we get a point for every reception. My starters are the following:

RB - Shonn Greene
RB - Jonathan Stewart
WR - Calvin Johnson
WR - Malcolm Floyd
WR/RB - Arian Foster
WR/RB - Ahmad Bradshaw

I cant help but feel that with the league being PPR, putting a running back in both flex spots is a mistake. My bench WR's are the following:

WR - Anquan Boldin (Not really feelin' his matchup, especially with Revis being back)
WR - Pierre Garcon
WR - Dez Bryant
WR - Johnny Knox

Should I swap out one of my flex RB's with one of my Bench WR's? Should I drop one of my starting backs, move up a flex, and fill the vacant flex spot with a receiver? I'm stressin' hard over how I should set my lineup.[/QUOTE]

All of those WR options I think are a downgrade from Bradshaw. Keep your lineup.

[quote name='v1et r1ce']Best or Forte? My league gives a point for receptions too.[/QUOTE]

I think they'll end up close. Generally, you go with the better match-up. Detroit's D is historically good for picking on, so Forte may be the better option. We also haven't seen Best go for a full game yet, so we don't truly know what to expect. Then again, we haven't seen Forte in a full game in the Martz offense. There are questions either way, so you may just want to flip a quarter and let the fates decide for you. I lean towards Forte simply because he has historically played very well against Detroit.

Last minute question! I'm second-guessing my WR/TE flex slot. My options are Nate Burleson (current), Patrick Crayton, or Todd Heap. I'm leaning toward Burleson, just because he has always been a solid WR and he's the #2 guy in Detroit. But as much as I like Stafford, I like Rivers and Flacco more. Any thoughts, or is it really just a crapshoot?

Trying to figure out which DST to start this week. Miami (at Buffalo) or San Diego (at K.C.)? Merriman is listed as Doubtful this week for S.D., which has me leaning toward the Fins.

[quote name='IvanHood']Last minute question! I'm second-guessing my WR/TE flex slot. My options are Nate Burleson (current), Patrick Crayton, or Todd Heap. I'm leaning toward Burleson, just because he has always been a solid WR and he's the #2 guy in Detroit. But as much as I like Stafford, I like Rivers and Flacco more. Any thoughts, or is it really just a crapshoot?[/QUOTE]It's a tough call, but I'd go with Burleson.

[quote name='Danimal']Trying to figure out which DST to start this week. Miami (at Buffalo) or San Diego (at K.C.)? Merriman is listed as Doubtful this week for S.D., which has me leaning toward the Fins.[/QUOTE]

Spiller might be scary, but he's still a rookie. Without Merriman, I'd probably take Miami, too. KC and Buffalo are both so terrible on offense that it's tough to go wrong, though.

Since it looks like Beanie is going to be out, trying to figure out which two of the three I should go with at my RB and RB/WR spot.

Ronnie Brown (Buffalo), Cadillac Williams (Cleveland), and Dwayne Bowe (SD).

I'm thinking Ronnie for sure, but I'm tempted to go Williams over Bowe, partially due to Bowe's down season last year.

[quote name='Danimal']Trying to figure out which DST to start this week. Miami (at Buffalo) or San Diego (at K.C.)? Merriman is listed as Doubtful this week for S.D., which has me leaning toward the Fins.[/QUOTE]

I would personally start Miami's defense. I don't like San Diegos secondary at all. It is the Chiefs, but still, I wouldn't chance it.

[quote name='JStryke']Since it looks like Beanie is going to be out, trying to figure out which two of the three I should go with at my RB and RB/WR spot.

I'm thinking Ronnie for sure, but I'm tempted to go Williams over Bowe, partially due to Bowe's down season last year.[/QUOTE]

Brown and Bowe. As I stated in response to the last question, I'm not a fan of San Diegos secondary. That combined with the fact that I think the Chiefs passing offense will be slightly better means I'd start Bowe. Well, that and the fact that Caddy plays for the Bucs. Never start someone on the Bucs, it's usually a mistake.

While true, the bucs are a bad team, isn't Cleveland worse? :razz:

If I do go Bowe though, let's just hope he doesn't pull a Percy Harvin. I'm getting headaches already I'm afraid.

Speaking of, what sucks, in one league, not only do I have Harvin, I had Garrett Hartley. Double Ouch.

[quote name='SEH']I would personally start Miami's defense. I don't like San Diegos secondary at all. It is the Chiefs, but still, I wouldn't chance it.[/QUOTE] SEH, I definitely appreciate the opinion, but I'm looking at your avatar and wondering- is that advice from your head or your heart? ;) Yeah, I'm leaning towards Miami; I have them in my lineup now and most likely won't switch them out. I'm just not sure what to expect from that unit, with so many new starters. I like Mike Nolan, and I think they'll have a good year, I'm just hoping the defense doesn't go through too many growing pains.

[quote name='Danimal']SEH, I definitely appreciate the opinion, but I'm looking at your avatar and wondering- is that advice from your head or your heart? ;) Yeah, I'm leaning towards Miami; I have them in my lineup now and most likely won't switch them out. I'm just not sure what to expect from that unit, with so many new starters. I like Mike Nolan, and I think they'll have a good year, I'm just hoping the defense doesn't go through too many growing pains.[/QUOTE]

When it comes to fantasy football, I leave my loyalties at the door.

[quote name='Danimal']SEH, I definitely appreciate the opinion, but I'm looking at your avatar and wondering- is that advice from your head or your heart? ;) Yeah, I'm leaning towards Miami; I have them in my lineup now and most likely won't switch them out. I'm just not sure what to expect from that unit, with so many new starters. I like Mike Nolan, and I think they'll have a good year, I'm just hoping the defense doesn't go through too many growing pains.[/QUOTE]

I like Miami in that matchup too. You're probably only talking about a difference of 4-5 points in a standard ESPN league, but I would put my money on the Fins.

[quote name='JStryke']Since it looks like Beanie is going to be out, trying to figure out which two of the three I should go with at my RB and RB/WR spot.

I'm thinking Ronnie for sure, but I'm tempted to go Williams over Bowe, partially due to Bowe's down season last year.[/QUOTE]

Ronnie is a no brainer. I like Bowe over Williams for the season, but like Willams better this week against Cleveland. When it is a coin flip, always take the RB.

[quote name='v1et r1ce']Best or Forte? My league gives a point for receptions too.[/QUOTE]

Forte. I like a Mike Martz offense to hopefully get useless Jay Cutler to throw the ball to the RB for once.

[quote name='SEH']When it comes to fantasy football, I leave my loyalties at the door.[/QUOTE]Yeah, I was just kidding around. Anyone serious about fantasy knows that you have to. I almost overcompensate- I'm a Steelers fan and I'm always a little hesitant to draft Steelers. (I'll do it if I feel like they're the best left at the position I'm targeting; I have 2 Steelers on my team this year)

[quote name='ZForce915']Ronnie is a no brainer. I like Bowe over Williams for the season, but like Willams better this week against Cleveland. When it is a coin flip, always take the RB.[/QUOTE]I agree with the logic, but Cadillac scares me. Still, this is the way I would go.

Could use some more last-second advice. Hakeem Nicks or Jabar Gaffney? Gaffney definitely has the better matchup (at Jax), so I'm starting to lean towards him.

[quote name='Danimal']Yeah, I was just kidding around. Anyone serious about fantasy knows that you have to. I almost overcompensate- I'm a Steelers fan and I'm always a little hesitant to draft Steelers. (I'll do it if I feel like they're the best left at the position I'm targeting; I have 2 Steelers on my team this year)

I agree with the logic, but Cadillac scares me. Still, this is the way I would go.

Could use some more last-second advice. Hakeem Nicks or Jabar Gaffney? Gaffney definitely has the better matchup (at Jax), so I'm starting to lean towards him.[/QUOTE]

I'd say Gaffney for this week since Jax gives up points to WR.

[quote name='Danimal']Yeah, I was just kidding around. Anyone serious about fantasy knows that you have to. I almost overcompensate- I'm a Steelers fan and I'm always a little hesitant to draft Steelers. (I'll do it if I feel like they're the best left at the position I'm targeting; I have 2 Steelers on my team this year)

I agree with the logic, but Cadillac scares me. Still, this is the way I would go.

Could use some more last-second advice. Hakeem Nicks or Jabar Gaffney? Gaffney definitely has the better matchup (at Jax), so I'm starting to lean towards him.[/QUOTE]

I should also preface my advice my assuming that all who post are using ESPN standard scoring unless otherwise stated.

I would never have considered Gaffney, but when you look at it, Jax gives up a LOT of points to WRs. Nicks is the better player, Gaffney is probably the better play. Although Carolina gave up a ton of points to the Giants last year when they played.

[quote name='ZForce915']I should also preface my advice my assuming that all who post are using ESPN standard scoring unless otherwise stated.

I would never have considered Gaffney, but when you look at it, Jax gives up a LOT of points to WRs. Nicks is the better player, Gaffney is probably the better play. Although Carolina gave up a ton of points to the Giants last year when they played.[/QUOTE]I think you're remembering it backwards. Carolina crushed the Jints 41-9 last year. Nicks had 6 catches for 44 yards in that game. I think I'm going to go with Gaffney. If he's going to be the top WR in Denver, he'd better produce against a defense like Jacksonville. If he tanks it this week, he'll have a hard time getting off my bench again this year, even with byes. :lol:

My league is CBS Sportsline. Fairly standard scoring, but we have a few tweaks: 6 points for a rushing or receiving TD, only 3 for a passing TD, 1 point per 10 yards rushing or receiving (+1 for runs over 20 or catches over 40), etc.

Thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated! Good luck to everyone this week; let's hope we all benefit from the discussions in here! :)

So I'm not sure who to go with for my Defense today. Arizona at St Louis with their unproven quarterback or Giants versus Carolina.... who I don't even know who their QB is.

My fantasy teams are disasters this week, but at least I have Arian Foster, who posted 46 points for me in ESPN, which will help the disaster that was Cincy's Defense (-7), while I had the Pat's defense (16) on the bench..

I except Schaub to throw a lot more next week. Remember this is the Colts they were playing, if you can run the clock out with the lead, then you damn well run.

[quote name='ZForce915']Almost as bad as Danimal not starting Nicks.[/QUOTE]
You don't know the half of it- Nicks with his 27 points on my bench hurt a lot, but Arian Foster's 43.5 points wasting away on my bench was heartbreaking. Despite my usual uncanny knack for starting the wrong guys, I'm sneaking out of Week 1 with a win. I'm up 80-75.5, my opponent is done, and I still have Philip Rivers to go.

I know Foster won't put up those kind of monster numbers every week, but if he's about to have a breakout year, it's going to be tough to decide each week who to sit between him, SJax, and Mendenhall. Makes me wish we used a flex spot in our league.

bread's done
Back