Far Cry $4.95 at Ubisoft Store

I think I heard this was free w/ built in ads. I couldn't tell you where, but it has been posted on here before. Either way it's worth $5.

FYI, if you get Far Cry 2 (PC) at Circuit City next week it comes with the original game for free via download.

Not a huge perk, but I'll probably go for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jdeluis']"Update:
The promotion is now closed and it is no longer possible to play the game for free. If you are interested in further information on this title, visit the Ubi official website at http://www.ubi.com/ "

:cry:[/QUOTE]
sorry, I have had the game since it came out but I just remember seeing this for free. I did not know that it was no longer free.

The "free" thing only lasted a few days as far as I know. At least another game they gave away "free" quit working after a few days.

I bought it years ago, so...

And don't buy Farcry 2 for PC, as it's got "activation" so isn't a purchase. I'm making due with one of the console versions if I decide which one...

[quote name='Wolfpup']The "free" thing only lasted a few days as far as I know. At least another game they gave away "free" quit working after a few days.

I bought it years ago, so...

And don't buy Farcry 2 for PC, as it's got "activation" so isn't a purchase. I'm making due with one of the console versions if I decide which one...[/quote]

From what I've read you get plenty of activations and the option to get an activation credited back to you during uninstall. Overall, I am not a huge fan of the DRM going on with the PC version, however I think that will be the best version to play by far (if you have powerful computer), so I am willing to deal with it.

That's all irrelevant to me. The point is, you don't own it. You have to ask a third party for permission to play what you "bought". Not okay with me. (Which is why I've been buying fewer and fewer PC games over the last four years.)

[quote name='Wolfpup']
And don't buy Farcry 2 for PC, as it's got "activation" so isn't a purchase. [/QUOTE]

Steam is a preferable DRM system to me. Still as many installs as you need if you bought it. It is on sale 5 dollars off at 44.99 right now preorder through steam.

[quote name='blueaurora']Steam is a preferable DRM system to me. Still as many installs as you need if you bought it. It is on sale 5 dollars off at 44.99 right now preorder through steam.[/quote]

Incorrect.

The morons at Ubisoft still use SecuROM and install limits, even through Steam!

From the Far Cry 2 page:

3rd-party DRM: SecuROM™
5 machine activation limit

The Steam version of Crysis Warhead has identical third-party DRM.

Using SecuROM and install limits defeats the entire purpose of Steam.

Moronic publishers everywhere these days.

Both are completely unacceptable to me, though yeah, Steam (by itself) would be "better" than Securom (by itself). Although most of the time Steam gives you the TWO "activation" DRMs for the price of one :D

It's unfortunate that so many people decide to take out their frustration over copy-protection on the publishers...instead of the thieves who steal games and forced publishers into trying to desperately find ways to protect their property.

Lazlow Jones was on the Opie and Anthony Show the other day, and the topic of Spore and DRM came up. And he said it's tough for him, because he has seen both sides of the argument. He doesn't like the idea of being limited to what you can do with something you bought...but having help create games, he basically said it's tough for him to see some conman selling bootlegs on New York City corner.

[quote name='Serik']Incorrect.

The morons at Ubisoft still use SecuROM and install limits, even through Steam!

From the Far Cry 2 page:

The Steam version of Crysis Warhead has identical third-party DRM.

Using SecuROM and install limits defeats the entire purpose of Steam.

Moronic publishers everywhere these days.[/quote]

Are you worried because you have 6 computers and you'll be playing it on all of them simultaneous? I agree the DRM sucks but as long as it functions correctly and credits the install back on the uninstall i fail to see the issue. Besides with the Steam version you wont be reselling it anyway which is the only good reason to have a gripe in my opinion since DRM like this really only causes a problem when you want to pawn the game off on ebay to someone else then you have to make sure it has all its activations.

Lets be realistic here, as long as the DRM functions properly, 99% of the people who purchase games in general would never know it was there if they werent told. Dont forget the install limitation can be disabled at any time and most likely will once the game has been out for a while.

And lastly, steam games can be cracked and played off line. There are many of them out there on the P2P networks. So dont think Steam is some fool proof DRM in itself making additional measures unnecessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's unnecessary, loads my computer with SecuROM crap, and implies that I'm a criminal. People pirate Far Cry 2 before release day, DRM or not.

Besides, Steam is already a form of DRM, one that many people don't mind because it's convenient and offers other features. And I don't want to trust a largely incompetent company like Ubisoft or EA with managing my install limits.

If DRM actually had a measurable impact on piracy, you'd have a point. But you can look at any torrent tracker and still see thousands and thousands of people pirating Spore and Crysis Warhead. Funny thing is, the pirates don't have to deal with SecuROM or install limits.

[quote name='Serik']It's unnecessary, loads my computer with SecuROM crap, and implies that I'm a criminal.[/quote]

My friend, SecuRom copy protection has been around and in use for YEARS. People only really started to complain about it when the simultaneous install limitations was introduced. Then it became the devil.

Besides, Steam is already a form of DRM, one that many people don't mind because it's convenient and offers other features.

Steam is not a secure form of DRM when it comes to offline gaming. All the Half Life games, for example, are cracked and have been for a long time.

If DRM actually had a measurable impact on piracy, you'd have a point. But you can look at any torrent tracker and still see thousands and thousands of people pirating Spore and Crysis Warhead. Funny thing is, the pirates don't have to deal with SecuROM or install limits.

I cant argue what i dont know statistically. I do agree that if someone is hell bent on piracy, they'll most likely pirate it, or simply not pay for the game but again, SecuRom has been in use for years and only actually became "bad" when the simutaneous install limit was put into place so i feel that many people are complaining just for the sake of it and its an easy target. As long as it functions correctly i personally dont have an issue. And again, they will disable it after some time. Thats exactly what they did with Bioshock.

And FYI, the actual activation service is done by SecurRom and their servers, not the publisher. This is actually good news because the publisher has to pay to keep the service in place and wont just forget about it. Eventually they'll cheap out and tell Securom to disable it.

Hell bent on pirating it? Spore was cracked before release and can be downloaded and installed easily. A popular torrent tracker reveals that 3083 people are seeding and 4757 are leeching it. How is that difficult? How did install limits and SecuROM stop that? That's right, they didn't.

So the people who paid $40-50 to legally own the game have to deal with SecuROM and install limits, while the people who *easily* pirated it do not.

Steam is one of the better forms of DRM (though it's still DRM and has its share of problems). I might've bought Far Cry 2 over Steam if Ubi used Steam's inherent DRM system instead of saddling it with SecuROM and install limits to boot.

Read more slowly. I said if someone is hell bent on pirating a game, they probably will, or simply wont buy it. Thats all.

And for the third time. STEAM IS NOT A SECURE/FOOL PROOF FORM OF DRM. You can download and play pirated versions of pretty much ALL single player steam games offline. Read and comprehend.

All I see is the same blah, blah, blah I have years...

Once again, focus your anger and frustration on those creating the problem. The real issue here is most people in this world have never created anything or don't have the copyright to valuable intellectual property. So, you can't see beyond your own circumstances.

And yes, qwerty is right. SecuROM has been around for quite some time. It's not malware...it's not spyware...it doesn't make your computer explode...little children in Africa aren't being denied food over it. I have installed plenty of games with SecuROM on my machine, and I have had ZERO issues with my computer. Zero. But yes, let's just keep up the "Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, get that stuff of my machine, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan."

[quote name='qwerty1']
And for the third time. STEAM IS NOT A SECURE/FOOL PROOF FORM OF DRM. You can download and play pirated versions of pretty much ALL single player steam games offline. Read and comprehend.[/quote]
While this is true for Steam games, it is true for all forms of DRM. The best that copy protection can do is just to slow down the pirates.

The part about Securom and other forms of protection that bothers me the most is the fact they are never mentioned on retail boxes or download sites. So software that I may not want is loaded on my pc and it can't be removed by normal means (even by uninstalling the game). If this stuff is so benign, then why isn't it brought out into the open by the publishers? Why do people have to do a search everytime a new game is released?

This stuff is BS and it's becoming more apparent that the real reason for limits and such is to bork the resale market because we know it hasn't affected piracy.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']It's unfortunate that so many people decide to take out their frustration over copy-protection on the publishers...instead of the thieves who steal games and forced publishers into trying to desperately find ways to protect their property.[/quote]

I personally think the whole gaming community, from publishers to us people who enjoy the games, need to shame and shun people who steal...

...but it's silly to say we shouldn't take out our frustration on the publishers. That's EXACTLY who we need to take it out on, and just for practical purposes too. I'm not going to "buy" a game I won't retain access to. Imagine if the early stuff had this? All my decades of games would be worthless now most likely. I'm not going to do that to myself, or spend real money, that can buy real games, on stuff that's just a rental.

And as others mentioned, it dosen't stop people from stealing anything. They get to play these games-us people who actually want to give EA, or Valve, or Ubisoft, etc. money, can't.

[quote name='qwerty1']My friend, SecuRom copy protection has been around and in use for YEARS. People only really started to complain about it when the simultaneous install limitations was introduced. Then it became the devil.[/quote]

Indeed...quite a different product than it was. In theory I have no problem with disc checks. In practice I kind of do, in how they're implemented. I don't want them to have to be done in these drivers that get installed. Maybe if Microsoft built drivers like that into the OS that they'd guarantee would be supported in any future versions of Windows, but otherwise...
Plus of course they do nothing but apparently make the publishers feel good about themselves.

bread's done
Back