FIFA World Cup 2014 OT (Congrats to GERMANY & kdiddy1989)

Very harsh to find fault with Beasley. Pressuring Ronaldo and missing a tackle could have ended the same way, except with Ronaldo tearing his shirt off. Where the hell was Omar? Did he really think he was playing in the midfield?

Where the hell was Omar? Did he really think he was playing in the midfield?
This aspect is what puzzles me the most. At the moment Varela is getting his head to it, Gonzo is not even in the penalty area. I'm going to assume that he was instructed to stay in front of the back four, mainly to head away long balls and was just doing his job because there isn't much else that explains him being so far from the play. That and I don't really want to imagine that he screwed the pooch that badly in such a short appearance.

He's 6'5". I would find it astonishingly hard to believe that he wasn't supposed to be back there clearing crosses and was supposed to be supporting the hold up play in the middle and offensive third.

Is runner-up in group G that bad? Looking at the potential opponents, runner-up almost looks better (I thought) then winner.

France looks more dangerous then what I've seen from Argentina, Netherlands just seem like they will falter at some point.

Compare to having France in the quarters and possibly Italy, Brazil, or Colombia in the semis.

I'll give that Group H runner-up will be easier if Belgium goes through on top.

Playing Belgium will be a tall task especially when you consider that they have yet to fire on all cylinders. I would prefer to play the runner up in group H but there are no cupcakes from here on out. Also, you are selling Argentina and Netherlands short. They are incredibly strong teams. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Belgium, IF we make through in second, will murder the US if they actually play to their potential.

Now if we somehow beat Germany, russia or algeria is who we would face, and although algeria put it to south korea, id like our chances with either team.

Belgium would be a tall task for us, especially without jozy to have any sort of hold up play up top.

Playing Belgium will be a tall task especially when you consider that they have yet to fire on all cylinders. I would prefer to play the runner up in group H but there are no cupcakes from here on out. Also, you are selling Argentina and Netherlands short. They are incredibly strong teams.
Belgium been pulling out results despite looking meh, still scared of them over 2nd from H but not confident they will suddenly find their form (wouldn't be the first time I'd be wrong though =p).

That's possible, only saw the game vs. Spain and the game today. Chile seemed to pen them in pretty well and Spain they looked good but Spain was also pretty bad. Missed the Australia game. Doesn't the roster look kind of meh, despite doing well.

Argentina think I only caught/remember the Iran game so could easily be under crediting Iran and Argentina easily I'll admit.

Very harsh to find fault with Beasley. Pressuring Ronaldo and missing a tackle could have ended the same way, except with Ronaldo tearing his shirt off. Where the hell was Omar? Did he really think he was playing in the midfield?
I completely disagree with you and kill3r7. Beasely needed to pressure the right way. Of course he shouldn't give him the inside. He should've made Ronaldo push the ball further up the field, which would've allowed more of our guys to flow into the box. Also, I would've been fine with Beasely giving up a free kick from out in the flank. It would've allowed our team to setup defensively, hopefully reducing the chance of ball watching.

Either way, what's done is done. They just need to focus on resting up and recovering for the Germany game.

Italy played not to lose and lose they did. Boring game outside of Suarez's moment of madness. He should be banned for the remainder of the tournament. Wonderful player but the man is insane.

ipzddi.gif

SF699jh.jpg

Yeah Suarez is nuts. Third time he's bitten someone. I missed that until the post game since I was just watching a bit here and there while working.

Yeah Suarez is nuts. Third time he's bitten someone. I missed that until the post game since I was just watching a bit here and there while working.
Wtf?! When did this happen? It must have been when I went to go change my baby. That's nuts. He got a red card for that hopefully at least right?

Ref didn't see it so he stayed in. He'll likely be suspended going forward.

Wow, that sucked for Ivory Coast. Knocked out by giving up a PK in extra time.

Suarez is the gift that keeps on giving. Great goals. Great effort. Great craziness. It's never a dull moment with this man.

Word is fifa says he did bite, waiting on uruguay fa to present their case, decision by saturday. Faces at least 2 match ban.

No one mentions his 8 game ban for racism as well...

Word is fifa says he did bite, waiting on uruguay fa to present their case, decision by saturday. Faces at least 2 match ban.

Suarez should be banned for the rest of the tournament. Heck, a lifetime ban is not totally unreasonable. The man is menace. He has done this 3 times now. Enough is enough.

ESPN touched on the racism ban/issue in their post game coverage (Martinez/Van Nistelrooy). No surprise FIFA shied away from it...it's not in their best interest.

According to the headline I saw on Yahoo, didn't have time to click, it says Uruguay is going to say the bite photos were photoshopped :wall:

Naturally this is one of the few days of summer that I have meetings at work all day from noon on. :bomb:

Suarez banned 9 intl matches and 4 months from all football ( the 9 matches from intl lasts longer than the 4 months if he doesnt miss 9 in those months).

The ban covers start of epl which also covers 9 matches if 4 months is from date of suspension. (of course his second game back is against CFC  :roll: )

Some comments from around the interwebs seem a little upset it wasnt longer, but if you combine it all, its really an 18 match ban as the 9 intl matches are separate from the 4 month ban, which covers start of the EPL season. I dont think he will get sold as it stands now so more than likely he will be at Liverpool next season.

He only got a 10 match ban by the English FA (completely different governing body from FIFA) for his incident back in 2013 and has now basically got an 18 match ban (9 intl and 9 domestic) from FIFA.

Sounds about right to me.

In other news, KPB suspended from Ghana, which is good for US I think as he does have ability to score and weakens Ghana who can win by a lower margin then Portugal and beat us on tiebreakers.

Suarez banned 9 intl matches and 4 months from all football ( the 9 matches from intl lasts longer than the 4 months if he doesnt miss 9 in those months).

The ban covers start of epl which also covers 9 matches if 4 months is from date of suspension. (of course his second game back is against CFC :roll: )

Some comments from around the interwebs seem a little upset it wasnt longer, but if you combine it all, its really an 18 match ban as the 9 intl matches are separate from the 4 month ban, which covers start of the EPL season. I dont think he will get sold as it stands now so more than likely he will be at Liverpool next season.

He only got a 10 match ban by the English FA (completely different governing body from FIFA) for his incident back in 2013 and has now basically got an 18 match ban (9 intl and 9 domestic) from FIFA.

Sounds about right to me.

In other news, KPB suspended from Ghana, which is good for US I think as he does have ability to score and weakens Ghana who can win by a lower margin then Portugal and beat us on tiebreakers.
You also see Muntari was suspended as well... even bigger loss... Ghana just can't lose by more than 3!

You also see Muntari was suspended as well... even bigger loss... Ghana just can't lose by more than 3!
Thank you ESPN for shitty reporting...

He was suspended already for Yellows for this match.

His leaving team doesnt matter for this match anyways, was already out for 2 yellow.

God espn sucks sometimes.

Edit: sounds harsh now that I read it, not directed at you at all bestkeeper, directed at espn. :)

Thank you ESPN for shitty reporting...

He was suspended already for Yellows for this match.

His leaving team doesnt matter for this match anyways, was already out for 2 yellow.

God espn sucks sometimes.

Edit: sounds harsh now that I read it, not directed at you at all bestkeeper, directed at espn. :)
Yea Portugal may have a real chance now... No Muntari and Boteng, really there best players. a 1 or 2-0 win for Portugal is what we want!

ESPN initially reported that both players were kicked off the team but many folks pointed out that Muntari was out for the Portugal game due to yellow cards so they dropped it from the title. Either way ESPN is utter shit when it comes to reporting. 

Portugal up 1-0.

Way too many bad touches and give aways at midfield for the US again.

And with that I'm off to meetings and will miss the rest of the games. :(

Man Ghana just completely killed themselves this game. I didn't watch it but both goals they let in are due to extremely poor play.
Agreed. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. However, the game could have easily been 4-2 or 5-2 Portugal, if CR7 did not blow opportunity after opportunity. All said and done, I'm glad we are through. However, we really need to step it up if we intend to beat Belgium. It would be really nice if Bradley decided to show up for a change.

P.S. The bracket is setup really nicely for Netherlands to make a run to the finals.

I really like the US's chance next round whether it's Algeria or Belgium.  Belgium has not looked the team I thought in all 3 group games including today.  We have a better team than South korea and they are hanging in... add Jozy back to the mix and it is very possible we move out of the 16.

Agreed. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. However, the game could have easily been 4-2 or 5-2 Portugal, if CR7 did not blow opportunity after opportunity. All said and done, I'm glad we are through. However, we really need to step it up if we intend to beat Belgium. It would be really nice if Bradley decided to show up for a change.

P.S. The bracket is setup really nicely for Netherlands to make a run to the finals.
I think Belgium is beatable but not how we looked today. I don't know what to say about Bradley. I loved him last WC and in qualifying, but I'm getting tired of defending his poor play, thinking he'll eventually do something useful...

Yes, Netherlands winning that group was big for them. Mexico has looked good but Argentina is really the only world-class team on their side of the bracket. That being said anything can happen. I'm extremely glad Van Persie paid his yellow card suspension already. US/Netherlands semifinal would be a pipedream come true!

I really like the US's chance next round whether it's Algeria or Belgium. Belgium has not looked the team I thought in all 3 group games including today. We have a better team than South korea and they are hanging in... add Jozy back to the mix and it is very possible we move out of the 16.
Belgium was at 10 men for more than half the game.

Nice to see the team go through, but I would also like to see Michael Bradley show up. I'm also bummed because I wanted to see the USA win the group, because it would've set up a potential quarterfinal game on the 4th of July! How amazing would that have been?

[quote name="tylerh1701" post="11875046" timestamp="1403821059"]
Belgium was at 10 men for more than half the game.[/quote]

I don't think they had their best players out there either. Don't remember hazard starting

So now that we are set with the next round teams, predictions on who makes it to the final 8?

Brazil (will get helps from ref if need be)

Colombia (no suarez hurts uruguay)

Netherlands (mexico gives them a game though, dutch will win by one I think, could go to ET and they either get goal or win on pk)

Costa Rica (greece is poopoo )

France (I dont see Nigeria giving them too much trouble)

Germany (same as france game)

Argentina (swiss might make difficult to score but argentina has too much firepower)

Belgium (Belgium will put it all together, win 3-0 maybe 3-1)

bread's done
Back