Final Fantasy VII (PC DD) w/ Achievements, Character Booster, Cloud Saves for $9.99

[quote name='mkelehan']It is official that it will NOT be released on Steam.[/QUOTE]

Well I would say it's official that it's exclusive to Square's site (and hence not on Steam) for the time being. Perhaps after a period of time they may consider releasing it elsewhere.

Honestly, I don't have much hope but if they get it back up and the sales suck maybe someone on the Eidos side will talk some sense into them. I'm not going to hold my breath though.

Achievement #1: obtain working copy of FFVII from squeenix na store. % of users who have obtained achievement: 0. :p

Meh, Squeenix face palm yet again. So a 15 year old game is selling for $10-$12 with no graphical or content updates with DRM and is immediately pulled because it doesn't work? It's a sad day when I am not the least bit surprised. I might buy it if it's $5 on Steam during one of their sales...if it ever gets there.

For now, I'm happy with my first print PSX discs (all 4 of them).

[quote name='newtypex']Meh, Squeenix face palm yet again. So a 15 year old game is selling for $10-$12 with no graphical or content updates with DRM and is immediately pulled because it doesn't work? It's a sad day when I am not the least bit surprised. I might buy it if it's $5 on Steam during one of their sales...if it ever gets there.

For now, I'm happy with my first print PSX discs (all 4 of them).[/QUOTE]

There are only 3 discs.

I was so going to buy this because I never played FF VII. Now I am so not going to buy this. Why does it need Securom? If they put it on both Steam and GOG with no DRM (or hell even sold it DRM free through Square itself) they would of made a fucking truckload.

I don't want to buy a 15 year old game with DRM attached to it. fuck that.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I was so going to buy this because I never played FF VII. Now I am so not going to buy this. Why does it need Securom? If they put it on both Steam and GOG with no DRM (or hell even sold it DRM free through Square itself) they would of made a fucking truckload.

I don't want to buy a 15 year old game with DRM attached to it. fuck that.[/QUOTE]

If FFVII Re-Release was on Steam, it'd use Steam - and Steam is DRM.
Sure, a mild form of DRM, compared to most modern DRM schemes) - but Steam is still DRM.
If Square-Enix does put it on Steam, they'd better NOT be lazy and just wrap Steam DRM on top of Securom. Oh, hell no!
Steam DRM on Steam games is enough...and is acceptable!

About FFVII going onto GOG or anywhere in a DRM-FREE form -- Amen. I could go for that. :D

[quote name='MysterD']If FFVII Re-Release was on Steam, it'd use Steam - and Steam is DRM.
Sure, a mild form of DRM, compared to most modern DRM schemes) - but Steam is still DRM.
If Square-Enix does put it on Steam, they'd better NOT be lazy and just wrap Steam DRM on top of Securom. Oh, hell no!

About FFVII going onto GOG or anywhere in a DRM-FREE form -- Amen. I could go for that. :D

[quote name='newtypex']Meh, Squeenix face palm yet again. So a 15 year old game is selling for $10-$12 with no graphical or content updates with DRM and is immediately pulled because it doesn't work? It's a sad day when I am not the least bit surprised. I might buy it if it's $5 on Steam during one of their sales...if it ever gets there.

For now, I'm happy with my first print PSX discs (all 4 of them).[/QUOTE]

FF VII was only on 3 Disks. FF VIII and IX were on 4.

[quote name='MysterD']If FFVII Re-Release was on Steam, it'd use Steam - and Steam is DRM.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']See the whole 5 activation limits get me. I can understand that you want DRM, but don't do bullshit like that.[/quote]
Yes, activation limiting DRM is garbage.
Steam's DRM is more fair, in that regard.

[quote name='Motoki']Yes we know Steam is a form of DRM (among other things). But all DRM is not created equal.

Two of the benefits they are touting for this re-release were achievements and cloud save, which you can't get with GOG.[/quote]
"Cloud" is only a good option, when it's an option.
When "Cloud" ever become a requirement for anything, then...bleh.

I don't care if they do it a DRM free release or not but it would be nice if they did it for the staunchly DRM free types I guess. Personally I want Steam or GTFO.
I'd rather see options - both for DRM-FREE sites and Steam.

The stupid thing about this release is that, I'm told, it required its own client which you would think would be able to verify your purchase and act as its own DRM just as Steam or other clients do but then it still has Securom even on top of that.
G4WL is often no better, b/c it often uses 15 activation limit.
You'd think - like Steam - if you enforce DRM and use a client-program, it'd be tied to your account.

I mean the publishers who just shovel retail releases with Securom straight onto Steam I get are just being lazy, but if they go to the trouble of packaging their own client for this re-release why the hell are they layering Securom on top of it? That is just full of FAIL.
Securom is pointless & redundant, if a game uses a client-program like Steam, Origin, etc. The DRM should be enforced through the client and only care about key tied to your account - like Steam does.

Square-Enix is a strange company. As a publisher they seem to be pretty competent (at least outward appearance) letting developers such as Eidos and Crystal Dynamics have freedom in expanding creativity with Deus Ex Human Revolution and the new Tomb Raider. As developers their choices seems questionable. Why would they even go through the trouble of acquiring/licensing securom for FF7? It's a 15 year old game and nefarious individuals that wanted to pirate the game had already done so. This re-release was undoubtedly targeted towards dedicated fans which have thinned out greatly since the 90s. This DRM probably has minimal effect on deterring piracy, and maximizes the fan's irritation.

[quote name='Motoki']
Cloud save = 6 years from now I can pick of the game and go 'Oh hey I'll replay from my old saves'
[/QUOTE]
I tried picking up and playing old rpgs like that (xenogears, legend of legaia, etc), and usually I quit 10 minutes afterwards cause I'm confused as hell on what to do.

[quote name='dejeckt']I tried picking up and playing old rpgs like that (xenogears, legend of legaia, etc), and usually I quit 10 minutes afterwards cause I'm confused as hell on what to do.[/QUOTE]

I'll start any game over if I haven't finished it but not touched it in more than a couple months. It's just too confusing to drop right in as you said.

[quote name='Jack_Frost']You might as well just watch a walkthrough/speed run then. I dont see how people can enjoy games without actually "beating it". You cant say you beat FF7 if you use this feature, I mean you did but did you really?

And you restarting the game is your own fault, this game has been out for like 15 years, if you never "had time" before you could of used a gameshark.

On another note, I might just get this to have on my laptop, never got into playing games on pc but im a tool for FF7 kinda. The achievements might push me to play more.[/QUOTE]

I didn't actually intend to play the game the whole way through with cheats, but just until the point where I remember having stopped. I've had to keep restarting mostly because of stupid stuff like accidental save erasures and whatnot. I have contemplated just watching on YouTube, but at least this re-release is happening.

[quote name='GUNNM']Are you guys saying we need limit breaks?[/QUOTE]
You'd have to agree that they'd go nicely with the Cloud saves!

Saw this posted on Square's FFVII forum today:

http://na.square-enix.com/go/thread...M_will_interfere_with_Windows_error_reporting
A few days ago, the re-release of FFVII was up on the store by mistake and hapless me happened upon it by fluke. There's another thread here about it, but long story short the serial didn't work, I was refunded, and I uninstalled the game.

Ever since uninstalling, I've seen strange system behavior. The system sound for device disconnected keeps playing.

I tracked down the source to services starting and stopping. These services are all related to error reporting and user experience services. I've seen problems out of Application Experience, which is related to aitagent.exe. This service randomly starts and stops at time when it is not scheduled, and would not cease until I disabled it. Problem Reports and Solutions Control Panel Support started doing the same thing immediately after.

My system is also hanging intermitently, which has not happened ever in three years since I built it. This is not due to a sudden performance demand.

The SecuRom software has something nasty in it that does not go away on uninstal. I'm not sure how it works yet because it is not detectable like a standard rootkit. This software also interferes with the operation of AdAware by preventing its GUI classes from executing. The task manager shows the process, but nothing else happens except when the application is launched by context menu.

This is just a heads up to others out there.

And the EPIC FAIL of this release just keeps on continuing.

How many pages do I have to read through before someone mentions that FF7 PC already has tons of community patches to increase significantly both the visual and audio quality? The graphics and audio have both been "remastered" and the game works in Windows 7 due to an OpenGL plugin someone has already made. Anyone playing FF7 any other way is insane. I bought the original PC release used on a different forum for $1. One dollar. Spent half an hour downloading stuff and another half an hour getting it all configured and bam, best experience you will ever see for FF7. It's not gonna be made better than this, official or not, unless we convince them to do a full remake which seems obviously impossible at this point.

All this stuff has existed for years. If you weren't aware of it already, maybe you're not a true FF7 fan. Do you guys (at least those of you who answered in the first 5 pages) actually play games or...? ;)

P.S. should I break even more ground by telling you guys about the high-res textures available for other games with old graphics, such as Zelda OOT/MM and Xenoblade Chronicles? (P.S. yes, Xenoblade truly already has a high-res texture pack... that game looked like low-resolution items-look-like-2d ass, admit it. Wii sucks. Good game otherwise though.)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dandragonrage']How many pages do I have to read through before someone mentions that FF7 PC already has tons of community patches to increase significantly both the visual and audio quality? The graphics and audio have both been "remastered" and the game works in Windows 7 due to an OpenGL plugin someone has already made.

All this stuff has existed for years. If you weren't aware of it already, you're not a true FF7 fan. Do you guys (at least those of you who answered in the first 5 pages) actually play games or...?

P.S. should I break even more ground by telling you guys about the high-res textures available for other games with old graphics, such as Zelda OOT/MM and Xenoblade Chronicles? (P.S. yes, Xenoblade truly already has a high-res texture pack... that game looked like low-resolution items-look-like-2d ass, admit it. Wii sucks.)[/QUOTE]

Are you intoxicated? Who even plays video games on this site?

COLLECT ALL THE VIDEO GAMES!

[quote name='Luxuria']Are you intoxicated? Who even plays video games on this site?

COLLECT ALL THE VIDEO GAMES![/QUOTE]

I'm just saying.. odd how people who claim to be fans of FF7 or Ocarina of Time - or whatever - and yet have absolutely no idea about what's been released for those games, even though it has been YEARS since the stuff came out. It seems to me that if you are really a fan of the game, you'd have run a freakin' Google Search on it. I really don't think anyone else should have too difficult a time finding the things I do with Google. It's not that hard. If you find a stupid rerelease on a stupid platform (Steam - destroyer of consumer rights) that costs money and apparently has issues - why can't you find community rereleases that don't suck? Square Enix might be less happy that I spent $1 on a used game instead of giving them more money (I did have FF7 on PSX at one point but traded it in). Personally, I'm fine with the idea that someone not give S-E any money for this considering they're going out of their way to put it on such a terrible platform with stupid DRM.

Hell, I've been banned from Justin/Twitch.tv channels for informing N64 Zelda gamers about high-res texture packs for "trolling" when I was actually being 100% polite, more-so than my previous post. It's like many gamers specifically go out of their way to be ignorant about games.

[quote name='dandragonrage']How many pages do I have to read through before someone mentions that FF7 PC already has tons of community patches to increase significantly both the visual and audio quality? The graphics and audio have both been "remastered" and the game works in Windows 7 due to an OpenGL plugin someone has already made. Anyone playing FF7 any other way is insane. I bought the original PC release used on a different forum for $1. One dollar. Spent half an hour downloading stuff and another half an hour getting it all configured and bam, best experience you will ever see for FF7. It's not gonna be made better than this, official or not.

All this stuff has existed for years. If you weren't aware of it already, you're not a true FF7 fan. Do you guys (at least those of you who answered in the first 5 pages) actually play games or...?

P.S. should I break even more ground by telling you guys about the high-res textures available for other games with old graphics, such as Zelda OOT/MM and Xenoblade Chronicles? (P.S. yes, Xenoblade truly already has a high-res texture pack... that game looked like low-resolution items-look-like-2d ass, admit it. Wii sucks.)[/QUOTE]

I knew about the Xenoblade one but I honestly have not followed FF7 for years. I apologize for not being an uber video game fan who religiously follows the modding community for every single game I have ever played since the 80s. :p

But really, I don't mind rebuying old games via digital download on the PC if they priced reasonably, hassle free to install and play and maybe even have some enhancement here and there. It's a nostalgia plus convenience thing and some sites like GOG have made an entire business out of it. There is a market for and that's fine but the problem is this release was not done that way.

When you make rebuying old games via digital downloads a pain in the ass you are doing it wrong.

[quote name='dandragonrage']If you find a stupid rerelease on a stupid platform (Steam - destroyer of consumer rights) that costs money and apparently has issues - why can't you find community rereleases that don't suck?[/QUOTE]
Emphasis mine. Patches and mods are one thing, torrents and such that include the base game (which is piracy) is another.

It's nice that you got the physical copy of FFVII PC so cheap, but you got lucky and/or bought at the right time. It tends to go for much more than that elsewhere.

I have three copies of FFVII (PSX, PC, and International) and would happily buy a fourth one and support this rerelease if they had gone about it the right way. Like it or not, Steam is DRM done right and way better than this SecuROM shit.

[quote name='blueshinra']Emphasis mine. Patches and mods are one thing, torrents and such that include the base game (which is piracy) is another.

It's nice that you got the physical copy of FFVII PC so cheap, but you got lucky and/or bought at the right time. It tends to go for much more than that elsewhere.

I have three copies of FFVII (PSX, PC, and International) and would happily buy a fourth one and support this rerelease if they had gone about it the right way. Like it or not, Steam is DRM done right and way better than this SecuROM shit.[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%. I'd also like to support the publishers who make the kind of games I like as a way of saying 'hey I want to see more of this' but only if they release it in the right way. It's a game so it should be fun, not a lot of hassle and restrictions.

[quote name='blueshinra']Emphasis mine. Patches and mods are one thing, torrents and such that include the base game (which is piracy) is another.

I have three copies of FFVII (PSX, PC, and International) and would happily buy a fourth one and support this rerelease if they had gone about it the right way. Like it or not, Steam is DRM done right and way better than this SecuROM shit.[/QUOTE]

I just described it as a rerelease but it's just a collection of patches for the old, legit FF7 PC release which as mentioned I do own (and I did, but no longer, have the PSX release as well). If that release has actually come to not be cheap to obtain then that's a shame. Personally, though, I do not think it worth giving S-E a damn penny for any rerelease of the game that isn't truly worth it. Releasing a crappy version of it is just insulting. They literally could have contacted the community members that made all the patches for the game and had them consult for a rerelease. That would have been the right thing to do, IMO. The work is already done and is better than anything S-E will ever give us. To me, their rerelease changes their stance from "We don't care about this game anymore" to "We still don't care about this game anymore, but we put in 10 minutes of work into rereleasing it because you told us you'd give us your money again for it." (I know what they did took a lot more than 10 minutes, but it's still half-assed). It's probably been repacked with all the patches included. If you own an old release of the game, go ahead and exercise Fair Use and download one of those if you want. All the improvements are free and not created by S-E so are legal to use. If you don't own the game, I'd recommend checking out Ebay and stuff first, because I myself am a collector and I generally don't support piracy (except for stuff that comes with ridiculous DRM like above-mentioned SecuROM - sorry, but I don't care about the profits of any company using such a virus on us - in fact I'd like to see them all go out of business ASAP).

I'm a fan of FF7, not a fan of Square Enix. They are just one more large company. I only give my money to quality releases. FF7 may be a great game, but a poor release does not deserve crap. Square Enix has repeatedly whined (

[quote name='dandragonrage']stuff[/QUOTE]
Well, okay, yeah, but isn't this all a bit redundant? You aren't the first person in this thread to mention mods (go here, here, and here).

I don't like the constant whining about the old graphics either, and I've never even used any of the graphics mods (save for the Sephiroth Patch, if that counts), but come on, it's not like some of us don't know about them and haven't been pointing them out.

Anyway, yes, we all agree with you that this rerelease sucks. Also, remember that this is the same company that shut down Chrono Resurrection; that they would even consider actively working with FFVII's modding community to improve the graphics is strictly a pipe dream.

[quote name='blueshinra']Also, remember that this is the same company that shut down Chrono Resurrection; that they would even consider actively working with FFVII's modding community to improve the graphics is strictly a pipe dream.[/QUOTE]

Good point, though I didn't really expect what I said to happen. Just more explaining (in that last post specifically) why I don't really think it's worth supporting Square Enix just because they are Square Enix. We should support good releases and we should boycott junk as much as possible. Never be a "fanboy" of a corporation. It just doesn't make sense. Small business may care about its customers, but corporations do not. Square Enix has decided that nonlinear games with towns to visit is too much of a pain in the ass. Instead of providing us a good game, they cut out a bunch of stuff to save cost instead of trying to release a product that we want. (Obviously that is about FF13, not 7.)

Use the community patches, people. Square Enix can either deliver what we want (not what it thinks we want - their own fault if they can't read, because again, they should be able to figure this stuff out in 5 minutes with Google) or they can do what they want and hopefully not make much money for it. If they don't want to think about what would actually be fun for gamers, then we sure as hell shouldn't be thinking about their profit margin (actually, we shouldn't care about that to begin with, but there are responses in here that amount to "we should support S-E no matter how crappy the product they provide because we

FWIW After this whole fiasco I am seriously considering researching fan patches down and will probably at least give it a shot. Oh and just to make it clear, I did buy the original FF7 PC release ages ago when it was first released at full price even.

The problem for me with patches and getting old games to work on Windows 7 and what not is that I have such a large backlog of games I need to get to already that if getting a game to work is a lot of hassle and requires a lot of hoops to jump through I will probably just move on. I honestly have no experience with the FF7 patch yet though so I can't speak either way to the ease or difficult of getting it all to work.

As for companies working with fan groups it's a shame that more won't. I know XSeed recently paid fan translators of two of the Ys PC games for use of their translation so they could get those games out here in the west. I'd like to see more collaboration like that.

Square can't even get a release for an old game right so I don't have much hope for them.

[quote name='tcbys']FF VII was only on 3 Disks. FF VIII and IX were on 4.[/QUOTE]

Yes my mistake. I knew it was either 3 or 4. :lol:

[quote name='newtypex']Yes my mistake. I knew it was either 3 or 4. :lol:[/QUOTE]
IIRC FFVII PC was on 4 discs though for some reason.

[quote name='yantelope']IIRC FFVII PC was on 4 discs though for some reason.[/QUOTE]
The fourth disk is the install one. Same reason why FFVIII PC has five disks.

Incidentally, FFVII International also has four disks. Its fourth has image galleries and other special features.

lol, I guess you should have bought it on Saturday. I hope people ignored me.

"This weekend, our teams were testing the product website for the upcoming relaunch of Final Fantasy VII on PC. While the website was being tested in its live state, a small number of people were able to purchase a pre-release build of the game. For those customers, Square Enix will be offering full refunds for the purchases and for their inconvenience, a free version of the classic Final Fantasy VII on PC when it is launched.

We want to thank our community for their continued support and excitement regarding the upcoming rerelease of Final Fantasy VII. We will have more information to share about the launch of this anticipated title shortly."

You know, as bad as it sounds. If I was offered a free copy of FF VII, I still wouldn't touch it on PC. Just because of the DRM and stuff. I would rather just buy a PSN version.

[quote name='Wario64']lol, I guess you should have bought it on Saturday. I hope people ignored me.

"This weekend, our teams were testing the product website for the upcoming relaunch of Final Fantasy VII on PC. While the website was being tested in its live state, a small number of people were able to purchase a pre-release build of the game. For those customers, Square Enix will be offering full refunds for the purchases and for their inconvenience, a free version of the classic Final Fantasy VII on PC when it is launched.

We want to thank our community for their continued support and excitement regarding the upcoming rerelease of Final Fantasy VII. We will have more information to share about the launch of this anticipated title shortly."[/QUOTE]
Dang wish I'd been around this weekend. I totally would have jumped the gun and bought it day 1 only to regret paying for a DRM infested piece of trash. But I'll take a free version of the game especially if they give up and scrap the DRM. (which makes no sense on a game this old)

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']You know, as bad as it sounds. If I was offered a free copy of FF VII, I still wouldn't touch it on PC. Just because of the DRM and stuff. I would rather just buy a PSN version.[/QUOTE]

Seconded. One guy even said the Securom seemed to be causing issues on his computer even after he uninstalled the game.

Also, I'd have to download and run another client AND Securom with limited activations?

I'll pass even at free.

If anything, this just inspired me to go dig out my old disc copy and go looking for mods to update it. What a missed opportunity because I really wanted to buy it from Square.

[quote name='Wario64']lol, I guess you should have bought it on Saturday. I hope people ignored me.[/QUOTE]
Eh, it's alright. I was still debating and I'd seriously considered it when I saw it on here, but SecuROM DRM just doesn't make sense for such a basic port of such an old game. Anyone who intended to pirate the game would've done so a long long time ago. I don't like to feel like I'm being punished when I'm purchasing a game. Had potential, but poor execution all around...now, damage control. It could've been free, but I can live without it, especially if it's going to mess up my computer.

[quote name='sykotek']Eh, it's alright. I was still debating and I'd seriously considered it when I saw it on here, but SecuROM DRM just doesn't make sense for such a basic port of such an old game. Anyone who intended to pirate the game would've done so a long long time ago. I don't like to feel like I'm being punished when I'm purchasing a game. Had potential, but poor execution all around...now, damage control. It could've been free, but I can live without it, especially if it's going to mess up my computer.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. If a company punishes me as if I were a pirate from the start, then why would I give a crap about them? I do not buy anything with SecuROM or StarForce or any of the really bad DRM schemes. If it's a game that I want to play, I'm going to play it in a way that does not install SecuROM, StarForce or similar on my PC. Take that to mean what you will. (Again, I do legally own FF7. The old release did not have this BS DRM. And anyone who knows how to download and install a game will know how to apply a DRM-removal patch anyway (or pirate the old version and, again, use the FAR better community patches))

It doesn't suprise me at all that something else fouled up when they go to put it back up.

One of the Square reps has been posting on the forums there so I posted a (hopefully) polite expression of my disappointment with this release there. I will probably get a new asshole ripped 8 ways to Sunday by hardcore Square fans but I don't care. I've been a loyal customer of theirs going all the way back to the 80s and I own almost every game Square Eidos has on Steam and some of their mobile games but I just can't support this release at all.

If others feel the same I think it's a good idea to let them know. Nothing may come of it but still I don't want them walking away from this thinking there is no PC market of the game doesn't sell due to their mishandling.

http://na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235/29269207/Paid_for_FFVII,_Got_Nothing?pg=3

[quote name='Motoki']
Robert, I am very, very dissapointed in this release as are others I have talked to.

I am baffled why Square Eidos who has a history of successfully launching quite a number of PC games on the very popular Steam platform chose this route to go with their own client and then lump the problematic Securom with a limited number of activations on top of it.

I purchased the game originally when it was very first released on the PC. I have also purchased many other games from Square Eidos and I in fact bought the entire publisher pack of all Square Eidos games on Steam last year. I also recently purchased Final Fantasy I & III for Android and have been very happy with those versions.

However I will NOT be supporting this release. Paying customers should not be limited in such ridiculous ways, especially for a game so old. I will instead dig out my old disc and search for community mods that update the game.

I really wanted to be excited about this Final Fantasy VII release but instead it's been nothing but a huge dissapointment to me. Some people at your company made some very bad decisions about the release of this game as far as I am concerned. Consider me a customer lost as far as the FF VII re-release goes.
[/quote]

[quote name='Motoki']It doesn't suprise me at all that something else fouled up when they go to put it back up.

One of the Square reps has been posting on the forums there so I posted a (hopefully) polite expression of my disappointment with this release there. I will probably get a new asshole ripped 8 ways to Sunday by hardcore Square fans but I don't care. I've been a loyal customer of theirs going all the way back to the 80s and I own almost every game Square Eidos has on Steam and some of their mobile games but I just can't support this release at all.

If others feel the same I think it's a good idea to let them know. Nothing may come of it but still I don't want them walking away from this thinking there is no PC market of the game doesn't sell due to their mishandling.

http://na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235/29269207/Paid_for_FFVII,_Got_Nothing?pg=3[/QUOTE]

Or, in all likelihood, you will go ignored by SE staff.

Motoki, I hope your line "I will instead dig out my old disc and search for community mods that update the game" doesn't get the very few sites left to be attacked. Square shut down the awesome remake of Chrono Trigger and have put no money into a new release... I'd not put it past them to go after Team Avalanche.

I think it is back down but I bet it comes with one giant Sephiroth virus that Meteors your hard drive next.

[quote name='Guimengo']Motoki, I hope your line "I will instead dig out my old disc and search for community mods that update the game" doesn't get the very few sites left to be attacked. Square shut down the awesome remake of Chrono Trigger and have put no money into a new release... I'd not put it past them to go after Team Avalanche.[/QUOTE]

Why would this happen?

Unlike Chrono Trigger remake this is just modding the existing game, not totally recreating something from the existing IP. I could see if someone was doing FF7-2 or something along those lines then yeah, Squenix smack down incoming.

I figured by now they are well aware of the mods and would have gone after them if they thought they would devalue their IP or the brand name, which they f-up all on their own, but that's another discussion for another time.

[quote name='uncle5555']I figured by now they are well aware of the mods and would have gone after them if they thought they would devalue their IP or the brand name, which they f-up all on their own, but that's another discussion for another time.[/QUOTE]
Eidos used to poach the server bandwidth of a programmer who made a patch that kept the game from crashing at a certain point; they directly linked to the patch from their support pages without any warning. This person is also the author of asset viewers and save file editors for FFVII PC and FFVIII PC, and hosts forums that are well-known to many modders of those games.

Meanwhile, Square Enix is suspected of including a fan patch with the copy of FFVIII PC that's sitting on Steam's servers without so much as giving a heads-up to the original creator.

I'd say they're well aware of the FFVII/FFVIII modding scene...

[quote name='blueshinra']Eidos used to poach the server bandwidth of a programmer who made a patch that kept the game from crashing at a certain point; they directly linked to the patch from their support pages without any warning. This person is also the author of asset viewers and save file editors for FFVII PC and FFVIII PC, and hosts forums that are well-known to many modders of those games.

Meanwhile, Square Enix is suspected of including a fan patch with the copy of FFVIII PC that's sitting on Steam's servers without so much as giving a heads-up to the original creator.

I'd say they're well aware of the FFVII/FFVIII modding scene...[/QUOTE]

Newsflash: fans who work on games owned by corporations are fucking morons. If you don't want your work being hijacked without you seeing a dime, work for the company instead.

EDIT: or don't bother wasting your time.

bread's done
Back