Final Fantasy VII - PSN only $9.99

Status
Not open for further replies.

loserboy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
This is a sort of deal and was posted in the discussion thread, but since it's only $9.99 I've posted it in the deals section--mods feel free to move.

Available on PSN right now for only $9.99 is the classic FFVII. As I'm sure you all know this can be downloaded and played on either your PS3 or your PSP...

[quote name='Nirron']But at the same time you could argue that there's no real incentive to level up. I do admit that I maxed out pretty quickly in 8 to get the most challenge, so I guess if that was their intention for the system, they succeeded, but maybe it's just me being stuck in a JRPG rut where I like segmented areas. I know area 1 has monsters of x-y level. I guess the positive would be that it eliminates grinding.

So actually, I see a lot of merit in scaling, since it pretty much lets us decide how hard we want the game. But you GOTTA give me the Draw system :p If level scaling eliminated the time-sink of level grinding, then the Draw system put it right back in with the time-sink of spell-drawing. And really, in a lot of ways the Draw system just did exactly what you were saying: it could make you really powerful. I remember grinding for a heck of a long time, and junctioning 99 Ultimas to all 3 characters on my front line, and they just became behemoths, along with junctioning a few GFs.

One interesting thing in relation to the whole FF7 disc stuff: Just for fun I looked on Amazon, Buy.com, and Radioshack. All of them offer new versions of every FF except Tactics and FF7. It's been a decade since FF9 was released and you can STILL easily find new copies from actual retailers instead of on eBay or any of the virtual marketplace stores.[/QUOTE]
Ya I definitely give you the draw system! It did not bother me as much as I thought it would, but man I haven't played it in a long time and it still was something I wouldn't have wanted. I guess they did it to help us learn what the enemy was going to use to fight us.

I'm surprised we don't see more companies rereleasing games on the next systems at cheaper price maybe with a few new features, like Nintendo has done with Play Control. Though this makes more sense when there is no BC (even though Wii is BC). Like if we saw FF 10 rereleased on PS3 with improved resolution, new chapter, more language options, weapons, etc for like $29.99-$39.99. Not sure if that would be better than them just remaking it much later for full price though.

[quote name='J7.']
I'm surprised we don't see more companies rereleasing games on the next systems at cheaper price maybe with a few new features, like Nintendo has done with Play Control. Though this makes more sense when there is no BC (even though Wii is BC). Like if we saw FF 10 rereleased on PS3 with improved resolution, new chapter, more language options, weapons, etc for like $29.99-$39.99. Not sure if that would be better than them just remaking it much later for full price though.[/QUOTE]

It would make a lot of sense for Square to release the international versions of the Final Fantasy games in America. The Japanese international versions all have new content and features that the US games lack. They could charge $20 for PSN international versions and I bet they'd still sell pretty well since most people never got to play them.

[quote name='soccerboy09']Yeah I'm upset with this to. Guess I'll have to play it on my PS3 really wanted to beat it while on the go[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Brian9824']Yeah i'd love to play some legit FF7 but I won't give up the ability to play all my other PS1 rpg's like Parasite eve 1&2.....

Oh well.[/QUOTE]

read your private messages, I sent you instructions on how to get around this. I ran into the same problems, but was able to get around it.

[quote name='tinman_licks']after so many years, the PC version still looks the best[/QUOTE]

Yeah but doesn't it have midi for sound? Atleast mine did from the install.
I've considering selling the PC version that I got now that the PSN one is out at only $10 with unlimited downloads and installs.

[quote name='iRent']so this is playable on the PSP? Sick![/QUOTE]

Its the whole reason why I bought it on PSN and I still own the black-label PSOne copy. Remote play isn't always an option for me to use. I also need to get a bigger memory stick for my PSP3000 now :p

Since I only have a 1gb card at the moment, can anyone point me in the direction of some good deals on larger memory sizes? Newegg maybe?

[quote name='tenzor']read your private messages, I sent you instructions on how to get around this. I ran into the same problems, but was able to get around it.[/QUOTE]

I actually found that method myself last night. It was too late to download but it did work, so will download it tonight.

So bought. I can't believe it took this long for them to release it. I'm very happy they did though. And $10!! This is the one PSX game they could have charged $20-$25 and still made out well.

[quote name='emperordahc']I would like to take a brief moment to mock all the young people on this board who never owned a PS1 and neither played nor beat this game. *Feels very old, but is comforted by the blacklabled copy he has*

Now get off my lawn! :)[/QUOTE]

I'm not young (turning 34 this year), but I never owned a PS1 and never played this game. I went the N64 route and never had the extra money in college to pick up the PS1. After I started working I did buy a PS2 and always meant to get this game, but never did for some reason. I now have a PS3 and a PSP so I'm debating picking it up, again.

So short of remote play (which I don't know if that would work or not).. there isn't any really slick way to move the save data back and forth between the two systems is there? Love the PSP portability, but when I'm at home I would really rather play on the PS3.

(I know, I know... dare to dream).

[quote name='arwild01']So short of remote play (which I don't know if that would work or not)[/QUOTE]
I've played FF7 at work (shhh) on my PSP through remote play before, but at least for me it's S L O W. Doesn't really matter for a turn-based game like this as far as gameplay, but that lag can be annoying.

I think they just started making 8GB pro duo sticks but don't take my word for it. I know 4 gig sticks will work though.

[quote name='Brian9824']Whats the maximum card size supported by the PSP anyways?[/QUOTE]

16 GB Cards are the maximum at the moment, but with the price of the card, owning two 8 GB sticks is a better proposition.

I don't like having to pay for something a second time that I already own. I've been playing this already since sometime last year.

[quote name='Loonknight']I miss my sprites![/QUOTE] I miss my sprites too, but these characters are polygons.

You can transfer saves from your psp to your ps3, and vice versa. shouldn't be any problem continuing a psp session on your ps3 once you get home.

Quick question that is somewhat tangental to this deal.

Can some PSP owner tell me how easy it is to switch back and forth amongst multiple memory cards? I'm looking at getting an 8GB for this game and some other things, but I'm also wondering if I should get a couple (since their so nicely priced on Amazon right now), and put my MP3s on the cards so that my iPod can stay home.

In short, easy process of switching memory sticks? Can it be done on the fly or do you have to turn off system and restart? MP3s kill the battery fast? Just curious before I order the sticks.

Thanks subby!

[quote name='h3ro']Give me Vagrant Story, Square![/QUOTE]

Plays great on the PSP, only about 100MB as well. I read they are considering remaking it so don't hold your breath

[quote name='Darthjer']Quick question that is somewhat tangental to this deal.

Can some PSP owner tell me how easy it is to switch back and forth amongst multiple memory cards? I'm looking at getting an 8GB for this game and some other things, but I'm also wondering if I should get a couple (since their so nicely priced on Amazon right now), and put my MP3s on the cards so that my iPod can stay home.

In short, easy process of switching memory sticks? Can it be done on the fly or do you have to turn off system and restart? MP3s kill the battery fast? Just curious before I order the sticks.

Thanks subby![/QUOTE]

The memory cards are hot swappable; you don't need to turn off the PSP when you switch them out. Although, make sure it isn't reading or writing to the card when you pull it out (common sense).

So many people think this is the "best" game/RPG ever because they were around 13 at the time they played it.

To paraphrase the quote, "The Golden Age of anything is 13."

if im reading this right....

if you have basic modem you can NOT HOOK your PSP to the net since i have no WIRELESS way too hook to the net so mostly im screwed and can not download the game : (

I just have a basic comcast modem ...

I have one of these werid USB cords that hook into the psp and hook that into the computer but i dont think that would work : ( cause it says you need a WIRELESS HOOKUP

[quote name='simmias']I've played FF7 at work (shhh) on my PSP through remote play before, but at least for me it's S L O W. Doesn't really matter for a turn-based game like this as far as gameplay, but that lag can be annoying.[/QUOTE]

Yeah some of the smaller PS1 games run well on remote play and I'm always on a broadband Wi-fi as well. Never tried disc-based FFVII via remote and I never will thanks to Sony!

Speaking of that, is anyone else's downloading super slow? Im thinking that since there is a woodwork of people rushing to download this now, it is going slowly.... like VERY Slowly.

I have clearwire so its always slow but not THIS slow! Any ideas or similar experiences?

[quote name='lord_ebonstone']So many people think this is the "best" game/RPG ever because they were around 13 at the time they played it.

To paraphrase the quote, "The Golden Age of anything is 13."[/QUOTE]

So the reviewers who reviewed the game back in the day and lavished it with praise, they were also 13? If I play OoT today and think it's one of the best do I also regress to age 13?

This game is straight up one of the best. Graphics may need some refreshing but it's an incredible game nonetheless.

[quote name='slidecage']if im reading this right....

if you have basic modem you can NOT HOOK your PSP to the net since i have no WIRELESS way too hook to the net so mostly im screwed and can not download the game : (

I just have a basic comcast modem ...

I have one of these werid USB cords that hook into the psp and hook that into the computer but i dont think that would work : ( cause it says you need a WIRELESS HOOKUP[/QUOTE]

Oh man, you're giving me a headache.

But in the spirit of helpfulness, you can buy a wireless router if you want your PSP to be able to get online. But you don't need wireless functionality at all to buy a game from the PSN store. A mini USB cable will be fine.

[quote name='technole']Yeah some of the smaller PS1 games run well on remote play and I'm always on a broadband Wi-fi as well. Never tried disc-based FFVII via remote and I never will thanks to Sony![/QUOTE]

Why not? All PS3 consoles play PSOne games. Or did you mean that you don't need to buy the physical game any more?

[quote name='wreckemtexastech']Speaking of that, is anyone else's downloading super slow? Im thinking that since there is a woodwork of people rushing to download this now, it is going slowly.... like VERY Slowly.

I have clearwire so its always slow but not THIS slow! Any ideas or similar experiences?[/QUOTE]
Are you downloading straight to your PSP? It was brutally slow for me when I tried that. I gave up after it was 4% downloaded after about 30 minutes. It took about 3 minutes to transfer from my PS3 with a USB cable. When I originally downloaded to my PS3, it took about 15 minutes.

[quote name='prateeko']So the reviewers who reviewed the game back in the day and lavished it with praise, they were also 13? If I play OoT today and think it's one of the best do I also regress to age 13?

This game is straight up one of the best. Graphics may need some refreshing but it's an incredible game nonetheless.[/QUOTE]

**cough** fanboy **cough**

;-)

Well, I never played it when it came out, I wasn't 13 when it came out (missed by only twenty-three years:D) and I'm sure as hell not 13 now.

And based on the first hour or so, I think it's terrific.

[quote name='eastx']Oh man, you're giving me a headache.

But in the spirit of helpfulness, you can buy a wireless router if you want your PSP to be able to get online. But you don't need wireless functionality at all to buy a game from the PSN store. A mini USB cable will be fine.

Why not? All PS3 consoles play PSOne games. Or did you mean that you don't need to buy the physical game any more?[/QUOTE]

so i could use the USB cord i have now to download it... Its a psp code that allowes me to transfer pictures from my pc to the psp

Trying to download FF7 via WIFI and it timed out after one hour (it was REALLY slow) Any suggestions?

Ok, a question that JUST occurred to me: if I buy this from the PS store, and start a new game on my psp, is there any way I can transfer the psp's save to the ps3 so I could play my same game on the big screen, or would I have to start 2 seperate new games? I mean, I could plug my psp into the t.v., but the idea would be that I could play with the Dualshock 3 and not use up all my psp battery life. So far I don't think I've seen anybody ask/answer this yet...

Also, I am debating whether to even buy it at all; I'd love to know the story, but my attention span has been so short lately I can't even play for an hour straight. Besides, my backlog :(
But don't worry about that. I don't need convincing, I'll get it when the time is right :)

EDIT: I bet I could put my psp's memory stick in the ps3 and boot it off that, huh?

The soundtrack is by far the best part of the game.

Otherwise, it's just another standard JRPG that happened to get a lot of hype over its OMGGRAPHICS back in the day and benefits from the nostalgia that comes with it being a lot of people's first experience in the genre.

[quote name='unopepito06']Ok, a question that JUST occurred to me: if I buy this from the PS store, and start a new game on my psp, is there any way I can transfer the psp's save to the ps3 so I could play my same game on the big screen, or would I have to start 2 seperate new games? I mean, I could plug my psp into the t.v., but the idea would be that I could play with the Dualshock 3 and not use up all my psp battery life. So far I don't think I've seen anybody ask/answer this yet...

Also, I am debating whether to even buy it at all; I'd love to know the story, but my attention span has been so short lately I can't even play for an hour straight. Besides, my backlog :(
But don't worry about that. I don't need convincing, I'll get it when the time is right :)

EDIT: I bet I could put my psp's memory stick in the ps3 and boot it off that, huh?[/QUOTE]

Posted this last night in the thread, but I guess it got pretty buried seeing as how that was quite a few pages ago, but I found some stuff relating to PSP to PS3 and PS3 to PSP.

For PS3 to PSP:

"I was trying to move the saved game to the memory card itself. That's not the right way to do it. instead, you should connect your PSP to your PS3 using a USB cable. Then in the System menu on your PSP choose "Connect through USB". Then navigate to the saved game on your PS3 menu. You will now see an option to copy it to the PSP device when you choose to Copy the saved game."

And for PSP to PS3:

"
(on PSP) Settings, USB Connection
(on PS3) Game -> Memory Card Utility -> PlayStation Portable

Just use the Triangle button when you want to copy stuff over, and select the PS3's Internal Memory card as the destination when going from PSP to PS3. When going from PS3 to PSP, you'll have to choose your virtual memory card as your destination. You'll probably get it when you try it out. "

And for anyone that wants to be a wuss like me and have at least 1 cheating save, here is a save from GameFAQs by Steve007101. Comes with pretty much max everything (stats, materia, weapons, limits, money, items, accessories, armor, etc.) I chose to do one the legit way, and one the breezy way. I know; I suck.

help a brotha out.. How would one going about transferring these save files from a PC to PS3? Can I just throw the files on a USB stick and have the PS3 recognize them as save files?

[quote name='lord_ebonstone']So many people think this is the "best" game/RPG ever because they were around 13 at the time they played it.

To paraphrase the quote, "The Golden Age of anything is 13."[/QUOTE]

What quote are you talking about?

Yeah, it has smoothing options. And faster loading options, too. Still looks kinda crappy on a big screen TV since it was way before they were around. But it looks fantastic on the PSP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back