Final Fantasy VII - PSN only $9.99

Status
Not open for further replies.

loserboy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
This is a sort of deal and was posted in the discussion thread, but since it's only $9.99 I've posted it in the deals section--mods feel free to move.

Available on PSN right now for only $9.99 is the classic FFVII. As I'm sure you all know this can be downloaded and played on either your PS3 or your PSP...

[quote name='DrNo888']I have the same question. I want to be able to play it on both using same save files.[/QUOTE]

I was looking into this (same issue, wanted to play it on both and not have to run two simultaneous games) and found a thread on the PS3 forums.

[quote name='"Unknown but helpful guy"']I was trying to move the saved game to the memory card itself. That's not the right way to do it. instead, you should connect your PSP to your PS3 using a USB cable. Then in the System menu on your PSP choose "Connect through USB". Then navigate to the saved game on your PS3 menu. You will now see an option to copy it to the PSP device when you choose to Copy the saved game.[/quote]

So either the USB connection converts the save files, or they're already in the same save format and are just copied over.

I'm scared though :cry: Pretty much ANY time I played FF7 I used a GameShark to max my stats, level, and to get tons of Master/Enemy Skill materia. Going cold turkey is going to be an uphill battle.

[quote name='Nirron']

I'm scared though :cry: Pretty much ANY time I played FF7 I used a GameShark to max my stats, level, and to get tons of Master/Enemy Skill materia. Going cold turkey is going to be an uphill battle.[/QUOTE]

If I can finish this game (I'm 42, have owned every system and have maybe truly finished a total of 10 games going all the way back to the 2600), then YOU CAN DO IT. Play it fair and square, you'll see, it can be done. Or go online, find someone else who's maxed out everything and download the saved game--seriously it's a lot of fun actually doing that stuff yourself. I'm going to dig up my old guide book from 11 years ago and get started...

[quote name='loserboy']If I can finish this game (I'm 42, have owned every system and have maybe truly finished a total of 10 games going all the way back to the 2600), then YOU CAN DO IT. Play it fair and square, you'll see, it can be done. Or go online, find someone else who's maxed out everything and download the saved game--seriously it's a lot of fun actually doing that stuff yourself. I'm going to dig up my old guide book from 11 years ago and get started...[/QUOTE]

Oh, I'm sure I can do it now. I mean, I was only a year or two into double digits when FF7 came out and I played it. And I giggled at the guide book comment...because I was doing the EXACT same thing today and so was my other friend (in fact we were both talking to one another over the phone while both looking for our respective copies.) I've actually been contemplating just buying a new one. Oddly enough, with how much the game has skyrocketed in price, the guides are still being sold NEW for less than $20 by a lot of people, including Buy.com

[quote name='Apostle22']I feel great for the guy who just sold this on ebay for $75 last week. Especially since that guy was me:applause::applause::applause::applause:[/QUOTE]

LOL, I gotta find a copy of this, interesting to see what it will fetch now thats its downloadable.

[quote name='prateeko']That's against Sony's ToS. Just pony up the $10. It's well worth it.[/QUOTE]

actually when u place it in your cart. It clearly says that it can be downloaded on 5 ps3's

[quote name='loserboy']Seriously, I think you might take this entire thing a little to seriously. In my original post, I specifically said that I wasn't sure if this was "technically" a deal. But the response has been good, and the mods thus far have let it stand. Of course, your argument is flawed...therefore any universal price drop should be in a discussion thread and not a deals thread, as these games are not permanently cheaper. You could even say penny guide threads shouldn't be here, they are permanent price drops and therefore do not qualify as deals under a good chunk of your definition.

A lot of people didn't realize the game was out nor that it was ONLY 10 bucks. I think, maybe, you can let this slide and move on to other more obvious non-deals to police.[/QUOTE]
In reality, this isn't a price drop. It's a new release. I wasn't the one that brought up the price drop argument. And penny guides aren't universal.

naes-
It isn't a new release, it's a rerelease. And there were MANY rereleases of PS1 and PS2 RPGs which were posted as deals here. From the rerelease of both Rhapsody and Persona 2 to the rerelease of a couple of the Shin Megami series, these both were posted in the deals forum with few (if any) complaints.

Whatever, if this post helped people find this classic game at a great price, I'll sit here and argue.

Can we all stop nit picking on whether this it a deal or not? It's a great game. If you have a PSP or PS3 download it and experience the magic.

so what if you turn on the smoothing on PS1 games? do the graphics change or anything? I never bought any PS1 games from the PSN store before

Just saw a complete copy at a indy game store for $70. Yes, this is a deal, ive never played it, so time to try it.

Just managed to ebay my two copies for $100...whew! I was worried the market would be flooded so I asked less than I could have got for them. I think the average selling price for used physical copies will drop to $25-ish in the next few months. Demand for the game has just got a huge (literally unlimited) influx of supply.

[quote name='CaoPi']so what if you turn on the smoothing on PS1 games? do the graphics change or anything? I never bought any PS1 games from the PSN store before[/QUOTE]

any confirmation on the graphic smoothing option?

Lol @ people who actually think this digital re-release makes a black label original print of the game any less valuable.

These iso's could have been downloaded and ran with PSX emulators anytime over the last few years. If people just wanted to play the game, they could have just done that. These discs go for $50+ dollars because collectors want a piece of gaming history, and black label FF7's aren't easy to come by. This digital re-release doesn't change that one bit.

Bought/downloaded on day one when it was announced at E3
First time I have ever ran my PSP battery playing a game lol.

LOL @ people paying $50+ for a black label copy of one of the most popular games ever. Read: there are probably millions of these things out there and if people would just stop accepting that price point it would eventually come back down to something more reasonable.

Also, I tried this game and if you didn't grow up loving it, then it is nothing special at all. Really, it isn't. But if you did grow up loving it then $10 should make your day. Playing RPGs on the go is hella fun.

[quote name='$CASH$']Lol @ people who actually think this digital re-release makes a black label original print of the game any less valuable.

These iso's could have been downloaded and ran with PSX emulators anytime over the last few years. If people just wanted to play the game, they could have just done that. These discs go for $50+ dollars because collectors want a piece of gaming history, and black label FF7's aren't easy to come by. This digital re-release doesn't change that one bit.[/QUOTE]

the greatest hits version would go for pretty high too...

PSX emulators are nowhere near perfect and in no way can be a total substitute to playing on a tv with a console

I played VII for the first time about 5 years ago in college on an emulator using my tv and a usb psx logitech gamepad. Worked pretty flawlessly for me, especially because I could make save states instead of having to find a save point :)

Bit on it earlier. Just rememberd I got a memory card adapter from the target clearance for $2. Guess its time to open it and use it. Also can you transfer the save file from PS3 to PSP and if so how is it handled if you progress really far on one system. Do you have to manualy delete the old one and transfer youre most recent.

PS1 copies will probably still remain at $40 or more considering the people that don't own a PSP/PS3 or want FF7 still. I got a PC version hanging around, wonder what those are going for.

Just sold mine for $50...BUT it was hardly mint. Glad it finally went as I'm sure less than museum piece copies will be dropping heaviest. (Of course, I only paid $6, so whatever.)

Stupid question but I use CFW. What version do you have to be on to download this? I'm on 5.00 CFW and it says I have to update.

[quote name='brian9824']stupid question but i use cfw. What version do you have to be on to download this? I'm on 5.00 cfw and it says i have to update.[/quote]

Yeah, Dark Alex has been rather slow in updating his CFW lately. Sucks when you want to make legitimate store purchases but keep your CFW.

I think $10 is a great price for such a beloved classic. Gonna have to buy it for my PS3 soon.

Yeah i'd love to play some legit FF7 but I won't give up the ability to play all my other PS1 rpg's like Parasite eve 1&2.....

Oh well.

i now see why this is such a deal..cuz it means the slick dealers, fat walleters and all around idiots can unload their copies of BL/GH copies of FFVII for a tiny amount to some other idiot who hasn't realized that it is available on the PSN network..95% of the collector's of PS1 games should already own this game...

and fyi, i bought the game digitally and am still keeping my BL copy. Once i get a PSP ill be playin some Crisis Core and FFVII on it to my hearts content (i.e.: the end of time)

I was told by a friend that the Greatest Hits version of Final Fantasy VII has censored text, while the black label version does not.

Any truth to this?

Also, do the PSN Store game downloads come with scanned versions of the instruction booklets?

Thank you.

[quote name='CaoPi']any confirmation on the graphic smoothing option?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what you're expecting. I just bought it for $10 from PSN and I was playing it an hour ago.

Graphically (and only graphically, so please no flames), the game looks like shit. But, thats kind of to be expected. All of the PSone games look like shit right now, especially on a decent sized HDTV.

All of the graphical smoothing in the world is not going to change a damn thing. The standard of graphics back then was low-res textures and that's just how it is.

[quote name='sliknik27']This should be $5.99. Not knocking the game, but it's just a digital version of a game that came out in 1997.[/QUOTE]
Virtual Console begs to differ. This game is a much more valuable IP then just about all games from 1997 and even those released a year ago. $9.99 is a great deal.

Plus Final Fantasy 7 was a 3 disc game, so I can see some logic in charging more for it since it's a much larger download than most other PSOne games.

Black label FF7 complete is on my list of used-games-to-look-for-at yard sales/flea markets/store/pawn shop-and-grab-list. Not necessarily for the value, but for what it is. Of course if I see a greatest hits version for a reasonable price I'll get that too.

[quote name='ZForce915']LOL @ people paying $50+ for a black label copy of one of the most popular games ever. Read: there are probably millions of these things out there and if people would just stop accepting that price point it would eventually come back down to something more reasonable.

Also, I tried this game and if you didn't grow up loving it, then it is nothing special at all. Really, it isn't. But if you did grow up loving it then $10 should make your day. Playing RPGs on the go is hella fun.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree with you more. It's not rare..there are stories all the time of people getting at a pawn shop or flea market for 5 bucks. I hate the fact that people sell it for so much and artificially inflate the cost. Rare games that are hard to find are worth the extra cash but I think it's rediculous to consider any game that was re-released as a greatest hits rare. Why does it matter what color packaging the game is in? It's still the same game, the only difference is in the ink. There was a cool guy in the trading forums that was going to sell me his copy for 40 bucks. Most affordable price I could find. Now I have to tell him that I bought it for 10 bucks. I'm soooo happy that I can play this again and relive my youth. Best part is I get credit from the wife cause she is happy that I paid 10 dollars for it as opposed to 40.

Hmmm .. now maybe my copy of Xenogears will sky rocket in value and fill the vacuum left by all those falling FFVII Black Label values ... ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='etcrane']Hmmm .. now maybe my copy of Xenogears will sky rocket in value and fill the vacuum left by all those falling FFV Black Label values ... ;-)[/QUOTE]

I actually happen to have the original Xenogears Disc 1 AND 2.

they need to release FF8...i own ps1 copys of ff7, ff9, and the legend of dragoon....can't find a copy of ff8 for cheap though...(i buy from local stores not ebay)....

funny thing i got ff7 still sealed for $15 at kmart 2 years back (wish i kept it sealed now and i would just download)...said they had it still cause was in the grocery section in warehouse so i just got lucky

ff7 is amazing i just want a killer remake on ps3...everyone needs to play through the awesome story and a re vamp in graphics would be nice

[quote name='nsahene']Couldn't agree with you more. It's not rare..there are stories all the time of people getting at a pawn shop or flea market for 5 bucks. I hate the fact that people sell it for so much and artificially inflate the cost. Rare games that are hard to find are worth the extra cash but I think it's rediculous to consider any game that was re-released as a greatest hits rare. Why does it matter what color packaging the game is in? It's still the same game, the only difference is in the ink. There was a cool guy in the trading forums that was going to sell me his copy for 40 bucks. Most affordable price I could find. Now I have to tell him that I bought it for 10 bucks. I'm soooo happy that I can play this again and relive my youth. Best part is I get credit from the wife cause she is happy that I paid 10 dollars for it as opposed to 40.[/QUOTE]

A game is only worth however much people are willing to pay for it. There could be only 10 copies of a game produced, but if no one wants it, then the game isn't worth anything. Rarity is also relative to demand. People aren't "artificially" inflating the price, it's just been steadily rising as newer fans of the game want to collect it. 99% of people that buy the BL games are people who want to collect the game, not necessarily play it.

I'm happy that the people who just want to play the game can do so now without shelling out $40+ for a well-used greatest hits version, but I don't think it will affect the current market price of a BL FFVII very much. Anyone who refuses this game because of the $9.99 price is way too stingy and should just go back to pirating.

[quote name='holyhyperion']
Graphically (and only graphically, so please no flames), the game looks like shit.[/QUOTE]

Yes it does. (coming from someone who considers FFVII to be his favorite) I can't help but wonder, looking back if this game should have used sprites on the prerendered backgrounds (which still look ok) on the overworld instead.

[quote name='etcrane']Hmmm .. now maybe my copy of Xenogears will sky rocket in value and fill the vacuum left by all those falling FFV Black Label values ... ;-)[/QUOTE]

xenogear is already on japanese psn. Should only be a matter of time before it shows up

[quote name='thecaveman']they need to release FF8...i own ps1 copys of ff7, ff9, and the legend of dragoon....can't find a copy of ff8 for cheap though...(i buy from local stores not ebay)....

funny thing i got ff7 still sealed for $15 at kmart 2 years back (wish i kept it sealed now and i would just download)...said they had it still cause was in the grocery section in warehouse so i just got lucky

ff7 is amazing i just want a killer remake on ps3...everyone needs to play through the awesome story and a re vamp in graphics would be nice[/QUOTE]

How cheap is 'cheap'? Amazon has FF8 new for $16.50 though it will be greatest hits of course. I did love FF8 a hell of a lot, and actually thought it was an overall great successor to FF7, other than that horrible scaling level system, draw system that takes an eternity because you want 99 of the spell to junction to a character, and a few other things. The characterization and story were interesting I guess, as well as the parallel stories in time and some other aspects.

I think FF7 actually looks pretty good on the PS3. Press the PS button when you start the game to bring up the options. Play it with smoothing ON and stretch OFF. If you stretch it, it looks ugly..but playing it in the original non-stretched resolution with smoothing turned on looks fine. Sure the characters are still blocky by today's standards but the prerendered backgrounds and spell effects have held up pretty well. The visuals are perfectly fine for a classic top down RPG..especially one with such a great story and 60+ hours of gameplay. Play for an hour or two and graphics will be the last thing on your mind. ;)

[quote name='Nirron']How cheap is 'cheap'? Amazon has FF8 new for $16.50 though it will be greatest hits of course. I did love FF8 a hell of a lot, and actually thought it was an overall great successor to FF7, other than that horrible scaling level system, draw system that takes an eternity because you want 99 of the spell to junction to a character, and a few other things. The characterization and story were interesting I guess, as well as the parallel stories in time and some other aspects.[/QUOTE]
I enjoyed FF8 more than 7. I liked the scaling system and wish other games did it because it keeps the game challenging. I hate battles when there's no strategy involved anymore because you're so much more powerful.

[quote name='J7.']I enjoyed FF8 more than 7. I liked the scaling system and wish other games did it because it keeps the game challenging. I hate battles when there's no strategy involved anymore because you're so much more powerful.[/QUOTE]

But at the same time you could argue that there's no real incentive to level up. I do admit that I maxed out pretty quickly in 8 to get the most challenge, so I guess if that was their intention for the system, they succeeded, but maybe it's just me being stuck in a JRPG rut where I like segmented areas. I know area 1 has monsters of x-y level. I guess the positive would be that it eliminates grinding.

So actually, I see a lot of merit in scaling, since it pretty much lets us decide how hard we want the game. But you GOTTA give me the Draw system :p If level scaling eliminated the time-sink of level grinding, then the Draw system put it right back in with the time-sink of spell-drawing. And really, in a lot of ways the Draw system just did exactly what you were saying: it could make you really powerful. I remember grinding for a heck of a long time, and junctioning 99 Ultimas to all 3 characters on my front line, and they just became behemoths, along with junctioning a few GFs.

One interesting thing in relation to the whole FF7 disc stuff: Just for fun I looked on Amazon, Buy.com, and Radioshack. All of them offer new versions of every FF except Tactics and FF7. It's been a decade since FF9 was released and you can STILL easily find new copies from actual retailers instead of on eBay or any of the virtual marketplace stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back